Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

It's been too long since I properly watched DS9, but I remember thinking that Sisko was a great dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yes, Sisko is a good dad, and it was a very specific decision to have him portrayed as a good father in the show. There was a systemic problem (and there still is) of black father's being portrayed as being deadbeats or otherwise removed from their children's lives, leaving single moms to raise their children. The decision to portray Sisko as an attentive father who always found time to bond with his son was part of a lot of little things DS9 did in their portrayal of him that probably went over the heads of most white people watching the show.

EDIT: Incidentally, this is why Avery Brookes was PISSSED when the finale of the series had him literally ghosting out on his pregnant wife, and why he made them add lines that implied his little spirit journey would not be that long in corporeal time.

EDIT2: If you want to see a contemporary comparison to how black fathers can be portrayed poorly, go watch LOST and see how Micheal and WALT! are portrayed and where their stories end up.
Oh yeah, I'm kind of aware of the issues with Black dad portrayals in media but this is still a side of Sisko that went over my head (surprise, I'm white as hell). It's a case of only noticing these things when they're bad, I think, for me anyway - if Sisko had been more in line with negative stereotypes about Black dads I might have noticed it and been disappointed that they play into those ideas, but when that's not happen as much I don't notice it even though it's much more rare.

I'm not doing a great job expressing this, I think, but in short: thanks for making this point, it gives me another reason why DS9 is the best Trek.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Angepain posted:

Except in this episode

Where it turns out he's the only person other than Miles who can get the baby to be quiet
Worf's a poo poo dad but would probably be a pretty cool uncle.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Angepain posted:

I checked Memory Alpha and she was about 19 when she came to ds9 so it's fine! Totally fine! I keep a piece of paper with the cardassian age of consent law in my pocket at all times. At least he didn't end up with Bashir! Two men! Imagine it - or don't ahahaha. Men. This post brought to you by rick berman

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I always had the feeling that many of the people working on DS9 wanted to go more explicitly queer but that someone higher up wouldn't allow it. I blame Rick Berman.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Actually it's Little Green Men.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

My man Bashir :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm rewatching with a friend who hasn't seen any trek before, and introduced Bashir as "Dr. Bisexual Disaster". I would die for him.