Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

In these troubled times, we take what comfort and solace we can from what sources can provide it. We here at Wren Heavy Industries understand. And so, instead of your regularly scheduled posting...

...it is absolutely time to get the gently caress out of your e/n threads about FYAD meme Warhammer 40K self-insertion fanfiction, because welcome to Animal Crossing 20: New Horizons in Horticulture (aka Twenty Player poo poo-Talking Hi-Ho Cherry-O)

where we are once more guaranteed that some incredibly dumb poo poo happens.

So, yes, this is a thematic mash-up of Animal Crossing and Tetris 99 on top of the Hi-Ho Cherry-O engine. I've had several people I know suggesting I run a game while the vast majority of us are stuck at home, and now that I've finally gotten a tripod, I can get back to running these games without having to constantly adjust to try and match shots and angles and pick up the camera and put it down again and pick it up again ad nauseam.

Previously, we've done Candy Land (twice) and Chutes and Ladders, and with any luck, this'll be a quick, breezy game where we can all pick fruit and yell at each other and keep our mind off things. It's intentionally less complicated than certain of the previous outings, in the hopes that it can keep people entertained, but not overstay its welcome. Longtime players will note there isn't even a Joker mechanic in this one. Your job: talk poo poo, pick fruit.

Welcome! We hope you've enjoyed your flight. We'll be making a water landing, but that's okay, because this is a seaplane.

RULES:

1. The players consist of twenty goons, divided into five teams of four.
     1a. In order to facilitate signups, please indicate your team of first choice with your signup post. If that team is full by the time your name is reached, you will be shuffled at random into one of the other teams.
     1b. Additionally, each player will be assigned the numbers 1-20 in the order they sign up. More on this later.
     1c. Additionally additionally, each player is to indicate an Animal Crossing Villager to act as their avatar in this competition. These are first-come, first-served, period.
     1d. Additionally additionally additionally, the first player to sign up for each fruit is given the privilege to name the island their team is homed on. WITHIN REASON.
2. Playing pieces are based on a standard version of Hi-Ho Cherry-O, but are homemade because gently caress buying five copies of a game for something like this.
     2a. Instead of a spinner with seven segments, a player's results for a turn will be determined by a roll of a d8. More on this later.
3. There are two goals:
     3a. One, to be the overall champion, to be better than the other 19 chumps who didn't empty their tree of fruit before you.
     3b. Additionally, the best team will be determined by seeing which of the five teams can empty their trees of fruit first.
4. We understand that suffering builds character, and there is an extended chance for suffering in this game. We are okay with this.
5. Barring emergencies or the inability to give a drat, there will be 1-3 turns per day. Probably.
6. Each player has a tree. It begins with ten pieces of fruit on it. It can have as many as 12 pieces of fruit on it.
7. On a turn, each player will have 1d8 rolled for them.
     7a. These are the results for the various rolls:
code:
1 - The Player picks one Fruit from their tree and puts it in their Basket
2 - The Player picks two Fruits from their tree and puts them in their Basket
3 - The Player picks three Fruits from their tree and puts them in their Basket
4 - The Player picks four Fruits from their tree and puts them in their Basket
5 - The Player is beset by an Art Dealer and one of the Fruits that is on their Tree is removed from the game
6 - The Player is beset by Wasps and two of the Fruits that are in their Basket are returned to their Tree
7 - The Player accidentally tips over their Basket and their collected Fruit returns to their Tree
8 - The Player loads a Fruit from their Tree into a Slingshot and launches it into an opponent's Tree.
8. A turn resolves in this fashion:
     8a. Fruit flung during the last turn and given a target by the players that rolled 8s is placed in the appropriate tree or out of the game.
     8b. Dice and effects are rolled and distributed.
     8c. Fruit is picked in the appropriate amounts.
     8d. At the end of the turn, the players who have rolled 8s have until the next turn begins processing to identify which player they are flinging their fruit to. Use the format ##target playername.
9. Object conflicts are resolved in this fashion:
     9a. Players prioritize picking non-local Fruit in all circumstances (since they're worth more bells.)
     9b. Fruit being placed on a tree prioritizes local Fruit in all circumstances (because trees, duh)
     9c. If an addition to a Player's Tree would put more than 12 Fruit on said Tree, any overage is placed in the Player's Basket (if the Fruit came from their Tree) or is removed from the game (if the Fruit came from someone else's Tree)
10. Two further twenty-sided dice are added to the pool. The Sun Die and The Moon Die.
     10a. These two dice are additionally rolled on a turn and provide bonuses to the players they indicate (using the numbers 1-20 as indicated in Rule 1b.
     10b. If the Sun Die lands on your number, you have sold all the fruit in your basket to the Nooks, removing it from the game.
     10c. If the Moon Die lands on your number, you have sold all the fruit in your basket to the Night Clowns, removing it from the game.
     10d. If either of these dice lands on the number of a player who has already completed the game, it will be rerolled until it lands on the number of an active player.

11. This is Rosemary. Rosemary is majestically fluffy. Rosemary is also kind of dumb, because like all cats, she has a brain approximately the size of a walnut. Rosemary likes sitting on things. There is a very good chance she will sit on the game board at some point during this competition.
     11a. If Rosemary sits on the board and dislodges pieces or even knocks them to the carpet, pieces will be reassembled as best possible. This may be a help or a hindrance.
     11b. The Rosemary Rule applies equally to Meyer, who is smarter than Rosemary, but still not that smart.
12. There will be some setup time between recruiting all five teams and actually beginning play while playing pieces are constructed. This should not exceed a day or two at most.
13. Posting "didn't read rules/thread" or some variation thereof when you attempt to sign up means you will likely not be assigned a team. Naturally, you'll have to read the rules to see this rule.
14. If you do not talk poo poo about your opponents, you are probably boring. Don't be boring.
15. We know this game is broken as hell, just roll with it. Rules are, of course, untested and subject to change for any reason.

TEAM APPLE
1. Mistaken Frisbee - Apple
2. JOHN CENA - Admiral
3. LawfulWaffle - Peanut
4. PMush Perfect - Hazel

TEAM CHERRY
1. Leraika - Midge
2. Subjunctive - Alli
3. UnCO3 - Roald
4. IllegallySober - Apollo

TEAM ORANGE
1. CirclMastr - Tank
2. oldskool - Sterling
3. hambeet - Rodney
4. Antivehicular - Lyman

TEAM PEACH
1. TheNabster - Pashmina
2. Dog Kisser - Blanca
3. chaoslord - Kiki
4. Infinitum - Raymond

TEAM PEAR
1. Shadow225 - Sprocket
2. AJ_Impy - Boris
3. SHALASHASKA HAWKE - Lily
4. Zetsubou-san - Groucho

hexwren fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I wanna sign up for Team Pear with Friga as my villager!!! I'm so excited to actually be around for sign ups this time

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I'd like to be on Team Peach and my Villager of choice will be Pashmina

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I want to be on Team Orange as Tank.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I want to be on Team Cherry with Midge, please!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Team Cherry with Alli, please!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Roald on Cherry, ta

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Team Peach / Blanca

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Team Orange / Sterling

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'll be doing my best to spread word of the game, but it would definitely be appreciated if you could also get your friends involved, especially if they're old hands at the shouting-at-people games.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Because it's my native fruit, I'm going with Team Apple and Apple the hamster.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CirclMastr posted:

I want to be on Team Orange as Tank.

oldskool posted:

Team Orange / Sterling

team chocolate orange rides again, I see

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
they can ride into a ditch swarming with wasps

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

UnCO3 posted:

they can ride into a ditch swarming with wasps

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Team Cherry please and uh, this wiki list you linked is apparently full of Joe Biden propaganda and no villagers at the moment so I'll have to get back to you on an available villager? Somebody got another list?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

IllegallySober posted:

Team Cherry please and uh, this wiki list you linked is apparently full of Joe Biden propaganda and no villagers at the moment so I'll have to get back to you on an available villager? Somebody got another list?

Here's the one for New Leaf, it should still have most of them.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

That one at least loads after the Biden stuff, thanks. I’ll be Apollo, please.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

yeah, uh, that wiki was fine a day or two ago, before some twelve-year-old got ahold of it, sorry

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Team Cherry is now full.
The game is now half-full.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Team Peach and Kiki, please

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

CirclMastr posted:

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

I'm Roald from Animal Crossing. I'm 500lbs of rugged penguin muscle. If we ever meet irl (in real life) your gonna regret those words brother......

IllegallySober posted:

Congrats on joining the best team (we literally have 100% more fruit than the others).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Looks like it's been fixed, at least.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

UnCO3 posted:

I'm Roald from Animal Crossing. I'm 500lbs of rugged penguin muscle. If we ever meet irl (in real life) your gonna regret those words brother......
Congrats on joining the best team (we literally have 100% more fruit than the others).

100% more fruit, and better fruit at that.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

IllegallySober posted:

100% more fruit, and better fruit at that.

100% of zero is still zero.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

FelicityGS posted:

100% of zero is still zero.

It’s okay. I’d be upset too picking the weird fruit nobody likes and watching other teams completely fill before you got a single buddy.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

IllegallySober posted:

It’s okay. I’d be upset too picking the weird fruit nobody likes and watching other teams completely fill before you got a single buddy.

It is indeed a difficult road to choose the superior fruit, but I'm glad the trash is sorting itself.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Pear is a lifestyle few are broad enough to embrace.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

FelicityGS posted:

Team Pear's members certainly are broad...

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Better to be broad than a shriveled up impotent orange.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

FelicityGS posted:

I'm Roald from Animal Crossing. I'm 501lbs of rippling penguin muscle. You would'nt last 5 seconds in the HellGym (my local gym where we all yell at each other)..... HAGH

And you don't even dress to match your fruit. Loser. But obviously, you wouldn't have any pride in a lovely fruit like Pear......

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm starting to message individuals to see if they'd like to join in, if you have anybody who you think might be good for this game, let them know it's here. Until we have a full house, we can't go anywhere, much less to scenic fruit-tree-filled isles

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

All I need to do is poo poo talk? :getin:

Team Peach as Raymond

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Team Apple as Admiral~!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Poor pear, unloved and looks to be the last to fill.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Signing up as an Alternate (i.e., if you get 20 other players, I can sit out, but if you need my shitposting sword, I will do my best) on whichever team might need a fill. My villager is Lyman, because he's real and strong and my friend.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Leraika posted:

Poor pear, unloved and looks to be the last to fill.

It's called saving the best for last.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

quote is not edit

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Antivehicular posted:

Signing up as an Alternate (i.e., if you get 20 other players, I can sit out, but if you need my shitposting sword, I will do my best) on whichever team might need a fill. My villager is Lyman, because he's real and strong and my friend.
I respect this villager stance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FelicityGS posted:

It's called saving the best for last.

Is that why you have 6 posts on page 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Is that why you have 6 posts on page 1?

each post is closer to their last, which makes them progressively better, because their first post was signing up for team pear & anything adding distance to team pear is an improvement :barf: