Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuckLacedFusillade
Jan 21, 2005
Legendary Dark Knight
The spiritual successor to the greatest game of all time, Jaws Unleashed, is almost here!

Play a baby Bull Shark in an open world shaRkPG* as she grows and levels up to hunt down and eat the evil Cajun shark-hunter who killed her mother.

*I did not come up with that pun btw, that was them, not me.

Info Stuff:
  • Coming out on May 22nd for PC (Epic Games Store), PS4, Xbox, and sometime later this year for Switch.
  • Budget price of around £34, $40, €40.
  • Developed by Tripwire Interactive.
  • Narrator voiced by Chris Parnell.
  • 5 growth stages: Pup, Teen, Adult, Elder, and Mega.
  • Mutations that let you do things like shock enemies with electricity or become amphibious to survive longer on land.
  • 7 distinct biomes/areas with their own apex predator to (b)eat.
  • Eating humans causes your wanted level to go up and bounty hunters try to kill you.
  • Tiger Shark skin and mutation if you get the "Day One Edition" from certain retailers.

Pictures:

Om Nom Nom

Apex Predators

Bio-Electric Evolution

Bone Evolution

Videos:

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmVSPb7i0Vk

Bone Evolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4D_LN3uZ2U

Bio-Electric Evolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrQAgJYOrQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Jaws Unleashed was an underrated gem and i can't wait to get back to sharking people to death.

FuckLacedFusillade
Jan 21, 2005
Legendary Dark Knight
Honestly the only real flaw I can see this game having is being a bit repetitive. I've watched all the developer livestreams and it seems to look good and play well (and is actually pretty funny) but I can see it becoming a bit repetitive after a while. I guess it depends on how much gameplay variety there is in customising your shark with different evolutions.

Here are the livestreams btw if you wanna get a look at how the early game plays:

Part 1 RIP momma :rip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8jCUAkur7U&t=414s

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB2pL5bJfGU&t=238s

Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo7UhYnxoug&t=443s

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I would like it very much if this game would go up on the PSN store already.

I would also like it very much if it was good because I really need it to be. I'm glad they decided to get kind of loving goofy with the thing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The weird upgrades make me think of EVO: The Search for Eden
And I will continue to yearn for the day that game gets a modern remake
Give me a grindy evolution game (no, not you SPORE)

FuckLacedFusillade
Jan 21, 2005
Legendary Dark Knight
Release day is here!

Remember you need to buy a physical copy from certain stores to get the Tiger Shark skin.

They are looking into allowing anyone to get it post-release but until then you have to jump through a few hoops for this beauty:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Not sure if I'm going to eat people in 4k HDR or at 144 MHz but I am definitely going to eat some jerks.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
It's a fun game, y'all, turbo koopas aside

https://i.imgur.com/GziiPFT.mp4

This game needs a photo mode--if there isn't already one that i'm missing.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Confirm. Sharks are good. Excellent time to crate. Also shooting humans into orbit is pretty great!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Game is great fun but I have a real problem with getting my rear end kicked by alligators, even when I am at the same or greater level they kill me 80% of the time.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Game is great fun but I have a real problem with getting my rear end kicked by alligators, even when I am at the same or greater level they kill me 80% of the time.

Mass matters (heh) a lot more than level. Even as a equal level moody teen I'd usually have to be careful about fighting more than one gator.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Alligators are huge jerks. They punish pretty hard for over committing, and you have to dodge the lunge attack pretty late as it has a long wind up.

Humans though are helpless and delicious!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Game is fun but pretty dang short and the difficulty is all over the place. Alligators in the first section will be the hardest thing you fight for the majority of the game. Especially that level 15 hunt. Then everything will be brain dead easy mostly forever. Even with the last boss I crushed him before he used one of the big attacks the game warns you of.

That said, gently caress Apex Orca. Unless you’re close to maxed out that fight is total poo poo.

Also there’s some bugs. Mostly dudes you need to kill getting stuck in the geometry and becoming unkillable.

All in all it’s a good time and I think I went from beginning to end (and max level) in like 6-7 hours. I could probably collect all of the remaining collectibles I missed if I spent another hour or so

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

There’s an extra evolution from gathering collectibles btw

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I will pay money for more gear evolution sets, Deep Silver. Gimme.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This game is just so amusing, although I think the directed targeting (pressing the RS on a game controller) needs some work.

Also, I killed a couple gators as a level 4 pup. Attack and dart away to eat when needed. It was loving rough because the first one happened right as I was also getting attacked by the apex muskie. If you get the alligator to miss it's lunge as you are swimming at it, you can sort of stop swimming and just bite like crazy until the gator tail whips you away, the whip hurts but then you dart off and hunt down a small game fish to heal and get right back to it.

Also, I don't if it's been mentioned, but if you are a small shark and you beat a larger enemy, don't forget to eat up the little pieces that explode from the enemy because that holds all the XP stuff.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Chris Planted has a pretty great review: https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2020/5/22/21266348/maneater-review-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Honestly the $40 might be a lot to ask right now, but when this thing is on sale I feel like it will be a great deal for the novelty and catharsis.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there a mode that just lets you swim around freely? 6 hour shark adventure sounds great tho

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

precision posted:

Is there a mode that just lets you swim around freely? 6 hour shark adventure sounds great tho

I mean, you sort of can? The story advances per you doing quests: Even if something says kill 10 humans, you have to go to a specific location to do it--so anything you do outside of 'the story activities inside the story activity areas', you're free to do without time limit.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Morter posted:

I mean, you sort of can? The story advances per you doing quests: Even if something says kill 10 humans, you have to go to a specific location to do it--so anything you do outside of 'the story activities inside the story activity areas', you're free to do without time limit.

Not only that, but if the quest is to kill 10 humans, you can kill a few of them and then swim away and come back later to kill however many more you need to finish the quest. Progress never resets, even if you are killed in the middle of doing it, although you might lose one if you get killed right as you killed them.

edit - Also, some of the side commentary and little secrets from the collectibles are pretty good. "Only one thought dominates the bull sharks mind: Eh, I could eat"

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 23, 2020

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Also when you beat the game it just goes into “afterparty mode” and you’re free to do whatever

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Good Citizen posted:

That said, gently caress Apex Orca. Unless you’re close to maxed out that fight is total poo poo.

I died the first time (barely), but the second time I managed to knock the orca out of the water onto a walkway when she was about 3/4 health and then just noshed on her until she slipped back into the water when she was almost dead where I finished her off. I was a mega shark at the time though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

6-7 hours?! Jeez... I'm only level 9 and I'm like 5 hours in lol.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I finished in maybe 12-15. That's 100% and maxing out all the upgrades. I don't know exactly because I left the menus open for quite a while.

The best part of the game is something that looks like a bug with the pursuit mechanics. Basically if you evade the hunters, they won't despawn until the searching timer runs down. But if you eat a human or destroy a boat the timer resets. So you can have a never-ending reign of terror murdering rich idiots on their expensive boats and nobody is going to stop you and that's just fine with me!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TehSaurus posted:

I finished in maybe 12-15. That's 100% and maxing out all the upgrades. I don't know exactly because I left the menus open for quite a while.

The best part of the game is something that looks like a bug with the pursuit mechanics. Basically if you evade the hunters, they won't despawn until the searching timer runs down. But if you eat a human or destroy a boat the timer resets. So you can have a never-ending reign of terror murdering rich idiots on their expensive boats and nobody is going to stop you and that's just fine with me!

I will support this view. According to Epic, I played the game for 18 hours total and I'm almost at 100% (I would just need to finish off the last 2 Hunters), but I also left the menus/game open for quite a while during that time so the 18 hours isn't quite fully reflective of how much I actually played the game.

edit - Also, it doesn't actually matter if the hunters despawn because your progress towards the next Named Hunter never ever stops. The green circle that fills up around your notoriety level represents the progress towards the next Named Hunter while the bar next to it essentially just shows the status of your current rampage: it's blank when you aren't doing anything and then fills up when you kill humans before moving to search/attacking when you fill it up completely. And afaik, the green circle only fills up when you are listed as being attacked as you're destroying/fighting hunter boats.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 24, 2020

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm impressed by the range of lines they got out of people screaming as they're eaten. This is Chivalry levels of voice direction.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Is there a way to manage cloud saves in the epic store? No matter what I do I can’t get my pc to show the save I had on my laptop

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Donnerberg posted:

I'm impressed by the range of lines they got out of people screaming as they're eaten. This is Chivalry levels of voice direction.

My favourite is still "are you loving KIDDING ME" lmao

Twelve hours in though and I've 100%ed it except for the acknowledged landmark bug in Dead Horse Lake. It's fun, the writing is entertaining, and it does a great job of making you feel terrifyingly powerful at times but now I'm left wanting more content because all there is to do now is pootle around, take pretty screenshots and stockpile resources, which I already have enough of to max out the final landmark evolution line the moment I get it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Hexenritter posted:

take pretty screenshots

Is there a photo mode of some kind

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
This a great play for an hour game. I imagine if you sit down and do it once it gets repetitive, which seems to be major complaint of reviews, but just tuning out and eating rednecks for an hour or so is great fun.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Morter posted:

I didn't see one, though I know printscreen and pasting into an image editor or directly into a twitter/fb/discord post works.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like some of the set pieces were criminally underused, but maybe they'll do something with DLC. For example, it would have been much cooler if the SeaWorld-esqe pool wasn't broken until you get into it though the pipes and caused a giant scene which made the apex orca breakout only to return later for the final fight of the area.

Also, why wasn't there a single dolphin in the game?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are we sure this is a spiritual sequel to Jaws Unleashed and not Miami Shark?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6pXVS8CCgA

The trailer gave me some very Miami Shark vibes

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are we sure this is a spiritual sequel to Jaws Unleashed and not Miami Shark?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6pXVS8CCgA

The trailer gave me some very Miami Shark vibes

if it's a successor to anything it's Finny the Fish for grown ups.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
https://i.imgur.com/fWDtVQN.mp4

:krad::rock::krad:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Morter posted:

It supports Ansel, so if you have an NVIDIA card you can hit Alt+F2 and it essentially puts you into a nice little photo mode. It seems kinda wonky tho, because half the time it would tell me that Ansel isn't available right now until I quit back out to the main menu/restarted the game and then it suddenly worked.

Game was a lot of fun, could use a little bit of patching for some minor things but nothing game breaking happened to me. I 100%'ed it in 9 hours and some change according to the end credits timer, which seems accurate. With the 10€ off Coupon thing I had on the EGS I got it for 26.99€ which is a fair price. Also has nobody mentioned that Chris Parnell is doing the narration all the way through the game? I heard him at the start and knew it was gonna be worth my money.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Finished it earlier today, took about 12 hours. I didn't do all of the side stuff, but probably 75% of it.

Got it for $30 with the Epic Game Store sale and I think that was fine. I wish there was a little more variety in the gameplay but I don't know how you would do that.

The Apex Orca fight is almost certainly the worst one. It can take a real big beating, it's relatively fast, and can deal a lot of damage. Even at max level it still required a lot of attack--->retreat----->attack to take it down.

There are definitely a lot of glitches. I lost count of how many times a shark managed to blast itself out of the water and onto the shore, but couldn't get off. That happened midway through the Apex Mako fight, so I was just able to jump onshore and chomp on it until it died.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
100% this game and frustratingly realized I had to open one of those locked gates to "actually" 100% it.

Was fun. poo poo was super easy all the way through with the bone set. Dodge spin and tail whips ruin everything. That Orca went down way fast.

I really wish they would have gone kinda like a Tony Hawk Pro Skater route. Maybe add tricks or birds you had to eat. Also I was totally expecting Maneater by Hall and Oates the entire time and was incredibly disappointed when it didn't happen.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just learned about this game a few days ago, and it looks like a blast. I'll be getting it tonight, and hoping to be scarfing down some humans over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to wait until this game was less than 40 bucks, but I didn't have much interest in anything else recent in the PSN and my brain is fried from months of only leaving the house to go to a retail job so I need a mash button hit stuff game. Shark game meets or exceeds all expectations.