Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I'm rewatching the wire rn

is the city actually reflected well in this show or has baltimore changed so much from gentrification since 2002 the show is no longer relevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pit beef is tasty still at least

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

home of challenge pissing

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
It’s how we do

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I hosed my ex in Baltimore at an Airbnb after a Bo Burnham show and dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant named Dukem in 2016 that's the only information I have I hope it helps

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Dan Bell took this video a couple of blocks from downtown. A local college that closed down a couple of years ago is now a crack house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRwKXK2gS98

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

eh, can we trade it for a cooler city or like turn it into an amazon distribution warehouse or something?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I went to Baltimore a lot as a kid. I always liked it, but I didn’t buy or sell any drugs so I can’t tell you how accurate that part of the show is. I went to this cool art museum there recently, it has a bunch of work from non-professional artists and a giant Divine.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

I go to art school there and it's pretty cool. I went to the fancy art museum you need to get waitlisted to visit on a field trip, and got a cool shirt and free soup. Probably won't get to go back this fall but I am making my peace with this. If I do get to go back, I will visit Divine's grave.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sliami posted:

I go to art school there and it's pretty cool. I went to the fancy art museum you need to get waitlisted to visit on a field trip, and got a cool shirt and free soup. Probably won't get to go back this fall but I am making my peace with this. If I do get to go back, I will visit Divine's grave.

Why make peace when you can make war on Baltimore

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

If they won't open up to allow me to college I'll MAKE THEM :black101:

Scott Lame
Jan 8, 2014
I've only ever been to the waterfront area and Camden Yards. The ballpark was nice. I had a good meal at a big seafood restaurant right on the water and then a very bad meal at a little sports bar near the stadium. All of this was a least 20 years ago.

Even longer ago than that my brother tried to do the flip thing with a row house in a neighborhood he thought was gentrifying but he guessed wrong and some crack heads stole most of his tools but he basically lived there for free for a few years so I guess it was a wash.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

All I know about Baltimore is that BWI is next to it and I drive around it on the way to Belcamp or Havre de Grace.

Also, it is the

Tom Gorman posted:

home of challenge pissing

https://youtu.be/4sZuN0xXWLc

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

certain parts of west baltimore feel somewhat accurate but johns hopkins has done a hell of a job speeding up the gentrification process over the last 10 years or so

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

sliami posted:

are you one of the people who thought living in the copycat building was cool and totally worth it for getting diy clout

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
It's not as rough as it used to be. Even so though, I used to spend a lot of time running around there back when the difference between getting shot or not could depend on what side of the street you decided to walk down, and the worst thing that ever happened to me there was getting gouged to hell by a scalper for a pair of Iggy Pop tickets.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Macnult posted:

are you one of the people who thought living in the copycat building was cool and totally worth it for getting diy clout

nope i am poor. i walked past it once though

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Fun fact, the mayor's campaign coordinator Theresa D'agostino previously starred in Sesame Street's Follow that Bird as Ms. Finch (the puppet)

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I dunno about all that but i like this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TvDge63Iy8

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gently caress

THE

POLICE

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
NOW

AND

FOREVER

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

sliami posted:

nope i am poor. i walked past it once though

don’t let anyone convince you that it’s a decent place to live. parties, sure, but i’ve seen so many artists fall into the ‘affordable loft’ fantasy trap. people at the crown love to put it on a pedestal because :cocaine:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
every day's like an open door
every night's like a fantasy
every sound's like a symphony

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'd prefer Baltiless

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Did Marlo ever expand from that one corner that he conquered in the last episode? I hope not. He was a dick.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Icochet posted:

Did Marlo ever expand from that one corner that he conquered in the last episode? I hope not. He was a dick.
I think that was just meant to show that even when he had an opportunity to get out of the game for good, he couldn't leave it

he'd probably be dead by now

Marlo craves the status of fallen kingpins. the life he wants for himself is one that he knows is limited, but he wants it anyway. the momentary glory of ruling the roost

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress you Baltimore!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

gently caress you Baltimore!

Baltimore hosed me

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

this should answer all your questions op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZlcIo8BLnQ

also i have a friend who has a song that got put in the wire soundtrack

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

the wire seems quaint now, as a setting

As a show it has all the merit it always did

jfc I wish I could still rail on about the failed drug war et al like it was still remotely important

instead I get to watch the same apparatus try to navigate a plague so I guess RIP

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Randy Newman posted:

Beat up little seagull
On a marble stair
Tryin' to find the ocean
Lookin' everywhere

Hard times in the city
In a hard town by the sea
Ain't nowhere to run to
There ain't nothin' here for free

Waitin' for a train
Drunk lyin' on the sidewalk
Sleepin' in the rain

And they hide their faces
And they hide their eyes
Cause the city's dyin'
And they don't know why

Oh Baltimore
Man it's hard just to live
Oh, Baltimore
Man, it's hard just to life, just to live

Get my sister Sandy
And my little brother Ray
Buy a big old wagon
To haul us all away

Live out in the country
Where the mountain's high
Never comin' back here
'Til the day I die

Oh, Baltimore
Man, it's hard just to live
Oh, Baltimore
Man, it's hard just to live, just to live

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

WHEN U WALK THRU THE GARDEN

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Chinatown posted:

gently caress

THE

POLICE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9goBR0Qj8

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

this is very good

E: its getting better

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lmao holy poo poo i have the same bluetooth speaker and also p much go around doing the same thing with it

i knew i liked this guy for a reason

E: beyond the fact that i genuinely appreciate how he enumerates the specific agencies. its actually really well done to musically include them in the way he did imho

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

lol i love that video. tyree owns.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Necros posted:

lol i love that video. tyree owns.

yeah man good post

i hope somebody else clicks on it too

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
everything i know about baltimore i learned from big bill hell

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i think big bill hell came from a bunch of nerds who worked on tv hill. theyre probably mostly retired today and i wonder if they have any idea what kind of longevity it still enjoys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I never saw The Wire. Did it depict the Baltimore Police as yet another gang, robbing and killing people at will? Because if it didn't it wasn't accurate.