Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'd heard tell that Cleveland rocks, but is that not true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I failed challenge pissing and I'm not allowed within 10 miles of Baltimore city limits. :sigh:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Lake trout >>> walleye

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

I'd heard tell that Cleveland rocks, but is that not true?

You got duped by one Drew Carey, i'm afraid.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Phthisis posted:

I live only a block from some luxury apartments, the cheapest studios of which cost my full paycheck, but also 6 months ago someone was shot and killed directly outside my apartment. Also there's a police helicopter I can see circling all night outside my window every day.

It can change very quickly from safe to unsafe here, and it's not really obvious when that's the case, either. I think that stems from the aggressive gentrification being attempted without really having much anything to draw people into the city. The city is very different from when I moved here 6 years ago, though.

Anyone who complains about the city being dangerous, though, is either a Hopkins shut-in, a dumbass suburbanite who never sets foot in the city outside of the stadiums, or someone in Fed Hill with their head up their rear end that wants the cred of "living in baltimore" without ever coming within a stone's throw of any crime or the economic/societal issues that give the city its character.

My ultimate opinion of Baltimore is that there's a lot of really cool stuff here that you can't experience anywhere else, but also many of the stereotypes are true and the city sucks a lot of poo poo, and overall it's not really worth living here.

Also it's cool and good that the virus finally killed Ripleys at the harbor. Baltimore will never truly welcome tourists with its true face until the promenade shops are finally totally empty except for the loving Hooters.

This is the real problem with Baltimore. Either you can live in a one bedroom in a fancy building for $1500+ a month or you can rent a 3 bedroom house for $900 a month in a place where you are definitely going to get robbed or beaten or at least have your car broken into multiple times. One of the reasons why I love Philadelphia is that there's actually some places in the loving middle. Like not crazy expensive but still safe.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

gleebster posted:

I never saw The Wire. Did it depict the Baltimore Police as yet another gang, robbing and killing people at will? Because if it didn't it wasn't accurate.
There is zero chance that anyone could completely portray the average Baltimore police from the mid 90’s accurately. No one would believe it.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
from my experience growing up in cleveland people always wanted to say they were from cleveland because it made them seem tougher even though they lived in white flight suburbs and never seen anyone nonwhite before

is it like that in baltimore?

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

Chuka Umana posted:

from my experience growing up in cleveland people always wanted to say they were from cleveland because it made them seem tougher even though they lived in white flight suburbs and never seen anyone nonwhite before

This is pretty much anyone who grows up on an easy coast suburb and yeah does apply to Baltimore. Most would have at least seen a non-white person either cleaning their house or working s service job, or when their Karen mom called the cops on some for being in their neighborhood

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Since the 90's lots of NE cities have gentrified like whoa and pushed all their poor people out to crumbly old inner ring suburbs so the wannabe badass suburbanites are actually getting more cred by the day

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Oswald Kesselpot posted:

There is zero chance that anyone could completely portray the average Baltimore police from the mid 90’s accurately. No one would believe it.

this is the truth tbh. HBO also has to be willing to air a thing

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Since the 90's lots of NE cities have gentrified like whoa and pushed all their poor people out to crumbly old inner ring suburbs so the wannabe badass suburbanites are actually getting more cred by the day

lol so comically true in the boston metro

i'd say none of it is surprising but charlestown over the last 20 years has been kind of a mind gently caress for me to watch

or conversely, watching the theoretical elite yuppies get priced out of sommerville is fkin hilarious to me

Worf fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 19, 2020

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

dundalk?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
thoughts on Baltimora: oh-oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh-ah, oh-ah

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Chuka Umana posted:

Well, Baltimore City is surrounded on three sides by Baltimore County (the rest being water). They are separate jurisdictions, but have the same name. Thus, some guy from Arbutus or Cockeysville gets to say he's from Baltimore without it being technically false.

When once the city held nearly a million people, now it's in danger of slipping under the 500,000 mark, most of the lost populace having moved out into the Baltimore County suburbs. And Montgomery and Prince George's Counties (suburbs of Washington DC) have larger populations than even Baltimore County nowadays.

Former Baltimore Sun Moscow bureau chief and author of "Not in My Neighborhood" and "Ghosts of Johns Hopkins" Antero Pietila put it as Baltimore having been an important city, but now being a branch-office town. The paper he used to work for, for example, was bought up by a gnome-faced real estate guy from Chicago. There is no Moscow bureau anymore.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

It's like any other large city with a dead industry related wave of economic depression (cars in Detroit, expansions of ports of Savannah and Virginia kicking the poo poo out of the port of Baltimore, coal towns in PA and WV, etc.), the "bad" areas get hyped up by scared whites who want to gawk at a hard life in their own backyard. Yeah, lovely areas like in The Wire exist and they sort of just pop up suddenly a couple of blocks from gentrification with no real defining line of "bad area" and "good area." It's honestly fine, I've walked alone in Baltimore, gotten shitfaced at the harbor before/after a concert, etc. There's some fuckin' great food once you get away from the areas they're trying to make touristy.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Yup this is true of Cleveland and the decaying sprawl is impressive just look at areas like Euclid, Willowick and Eastlake. It’s apparent even in upper class suburbs. Just look at the roads!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Necros posted:

dundalk?

How dare you remind me of the existence of Dundalk!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I moved to Baltimore a few years ago and tbh other than the systemic and political issues plaguing the city for a generation I kind of love it. I've found that people who have the patience to put up with Baltimore city life are chill af and know how to have a good time. It has a weird identity where it doesn't really feel like a Northern city or a Southern city which, as someone raised in the south by born and bred New Yorkers, feels weirdly like a place where I belong.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

gleebster posted:

I never saw The Wire. Did it depict the Baltimore Police as yet another gang, robbing and killing people at will? Because if it didn't it wasn't accurate.

In season 2 a district commander ultimately gets a local stevedore union all but annihilated because of a personal slight (a stained glass window in a church.

I mean there was more to it’s destruction than that but that’s the only reason he cared

naem
May 29, 2011

one of the finest scenes in television history :nws:

https://youtu.be/at8FUPwlIYM

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

naem posted:

one of the finest scenes in television history :nws:

https://youtu.be/at8FUPwlIYM

I lived in that apartment complex when they shot that scene lol

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I lived in that apartment complex when they shot that scene lol

who pisses more david simon or david lynch

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

sliami posted:

I go to art school there and it's pretty cool. I went to the fancy art museum you need to get waitlisted to visit on a field trip, and got a cool shirt and free soup. Probably won't get to go back this fall but I am making my peace with this. If I do get to go back, I will visit Divine's grave.

That museum is bizzare. I felt like I was visiting a ufo cult.

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

Your Shoes posted:

Baltimore was the place to buy bongs as a kid in the DC suburbs growing up.

And yet we didn't have cars so we smoked pot out of apples and lightbulbs. Being 16 was lame.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Necros posted:

this should answer all your questions op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZlcIo8BLnQ

also i have a friend who has a song that got put in the wire soundtrack

whats it like being friends with someone who gets a large royalty check every year?

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

snergle posted:

whats it like being friends with someone who gets a large royalty check every year?

i never thought about royalties. dunno if he gets them. seems to spend all his money and free time on throwing cookouts to combat gun violence against women and children and donation drives for school supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

how bout Baltiless jfc