Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SkeletonHero posted:

if you've seen any kind of robot sci-fi media then you see the twist coming miles away: robots that look like people! They're infiltrating society!

I'm just gonna say that it's not really a twist. It happens in the opening cutscene, and is one of the reasons Rust Crew got sent in. It was actually kind of hosed up, too, with one bloodily ripping his own human face off while having a breakdown about not being human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I think it's because they (the robots who do this) see all robots as sentient, just not...'awoken', I guess. So it's not that they're creating sentient robots, they're just showing them how to think for themselves (the fact that the robots who become sentient still remember vividly the things that occurred before their awakening I think shows this).

That's how it worked in Detroit. Sentience could be granted by a sentient robot spreading it to a non-sentient, but sentience could also develop on its own. The robots were all designed to be capable of sentience (except for their creator's personal sexbot harem. they don't get sentience :shepface:), they just had restrictions programmed on their AI. The player characters develop sentience by fighting and breaking through the programmed restrictions on their AIs (by having you literally break through red digital walls), and there were multiple other robots who gained sentience after being put through extreme trauma that forced them to fight their programming to not die.

It helps that the robots in Detroit are all externally indistinguishable from humans to the point that they are required to have a (easily removed) glowing marker on the side of their head, instead of giving sentience to, say, an arm on a production line.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Piss Meridian posted:

If you were building sexbots would you want them to be sentient?

There are robot brothels staffed by robots that are capable of sentience. One case involved two robots who had gained sentience through the sheer amount of traumatic experiences they had gone through, resulting in one of them killing a client in self-defense after he killed another robot during a threesome.

The creator specifically only surrounded himself with sexbots incapable of sentience. He treated his own robots like they were disposable appliances, even offering to explain what's really going on with other robots' AIs if the player will shoot one of his robots in the head.

Detroit is all kinds of hosed up and there's some good bits in there, but the interesting stuff gets kneecapped by comparing the robots to black people (the android-only space on buses is at the back, and literally having an older black lady compare it to slavery and the civil rights movement) and an unironic "Who is the real monster?".