Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

I'm the babyliberal, gotta love me!

Dabir posted:

yeah to be clear: the enormous fat blob monster who serves as the episode's antagonist and ruins everything for everyone is based on a specific real person who self-identifies as a superfan, had a minor role in production back in the 80s and thinks everything since has been poo poo

And Who cares, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

Moo the cow posted:

How about the Star Trek TNG where Dr Crusher fucks a space ghost?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Zc8Co2H3w#t=319s

Buddy,

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

I started getting Analog a few years ago. It's somewhat hit-and-miss, I think sometimes people just get away with publishing really subpar stuff or entirely irrelevant genre-wise because they're friends with somebody. And the editing this year has been atrocious. I was ready to just stop reading the last bimonthly, and haven't gotten around to the May-June one yet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Not the same writer, but there was an episode of Transformers where the Decepticons bring an asteroid into earth orbit so they can mine it for something, and it turns out to be an egg for a giant alien bird monster thing. I wonder if David Wise "borrowed" the idea from Superfriends.

Can't forget the same concept appearing in TNG. Encounter at Farpoint

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

Maigius posted:

There's an old short story Venus Enslaved in which Venus was colonized by people fleeing Cromwell.

How could you not read something by Manly Wade Wellman?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Weird. Hideo Kojima was born in 1963, but somehow named Manly Wade Wellman sixty years prior.

e: Part of the problem Beast Wars had was that setting it on prehistoric Earth wasn't decided until partway through the series. This wasn't helped by the decision to make Beast Wars part of G1 continuity. Compounding the issue is that Beast Wars drools, G1 rules.

LOL G1 is loving terrible. I dare you to watch the pilot through as an adult.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

So this plot element occurs in Detroit: Become Human (a bad game) and 2064: Read Only Memories (a good game).

In both games, humans have non-sentient slave robots. In both games, one robot gains the ability to “imbue” any other robot they see with sentience. This is seen as good in both games.

However, no one ever addresses that these robots are essentially turning household appliances into slaves. It’s like saying “oh, my toaster doesn’t have rights, that’s so tragic”, then giving your toaster sentience and telling it “you’re alive! Hooray! Btw you’re only allowed to loving sit there and make toast”

Like, the robots both want to free the sentient robots, but only after they’re granted sentience. They’re essentially creating a problem and then trying to fix it. No one ever says “if sentient robots won’t be accepted as equals, isn’t it hosed up to create sentient robots?”

Tbf, Read Only Memories is a fairly well-written and smart game and I think there is a more narrative reason in that game for doing what you do.

Yeah, ROM was loads of fun, but that is messed up. There is a short story in one of the recent Analogs that describes a world where smart appliances have unionized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

That's a shame, because his one Babylon 5 episode, Day of the Dead, is really good.