Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Heather Papps posted:

notes on swarm bee-haviour
if you see a swarm those are almost certainly free bees. normally keepers will nucleate hives to produce new ones intentionally. when i was learning beekeeping in saskatchewan there was a yard that was forgotten and when we discovered it was full of hives we found this:

swarms are a sign of excellent hive health and if you see one the bees in your locale are doing well, which is very nice. also, i guess if you want you could do the bee beard thing this way?

my X year plan was to get to north ontario and start getting hives running, but covid situation has kind of jumbled up plans. my dad is bringing me my hives/frames though, and i've been reaching out to local keepers/associations. bees aren't cheap tho! i should put up signs around town with my cell number for swarm collection - finding one would save me like 200-300 dollars.

Is the money in beekeeping from producing/harvesting honey or I have read beekeepers get paid to bring their hives to farms to help pollination or a little of both?

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there a correct season to start keeping bees? Like should I spend the next 9 months learning about bees and get some next spring or can I get some bees in August too? I think I might need some bees

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!