Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

AF Records showcase. Anti-Flag, Against All Authority, Pipedown, other band. If we're not counting local shows of course which I think I went to about a billion of before this.

I'm like 99% sure I saw this show at a local VFW. The Code and The Virus were there too IIRC.

e: hot take - Anti-Flag still kick rear end, this is from January: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESfmrpcHGw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
In the early 2000s Dallas actually had a pretty decent punk scene going in Deep Ellum. A lot of bands would stop off on their way to Austin or while going coast to coast. I even got see some of the older past their prime bands like The Cramps and Stiff Little Fingers. The guys from Stiff Little Fingers were really bitchy on stage and threatened to storm off twice, and watching Lux Interior encourage a crowd of like 50 people to "tear the place apart" on a Thursday night was kind of sad. It was still cool to see those guys play. I still regret missing The Addicts when they passed through.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

I actually hate the gently caress out of Anti-Flag and here is why. That show I went to was loving sweet. We were having a really great time the bands where loving kickin' and the the crowd was really into it. Then here come the headliner: Anti-Flag. Before they start playing the lead singer comes out and politely(WTF?) asks us if we could please not smoke in the venue because it hurts his wittle voice. After that day I realized, this, this is not the band for me.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I didn’t actually get to see Wesley play if I remember, because I had to catch a plane from Chicago. But I did meet him beforehand so he could sign something. He offered to give me a headbutt and I declined. There was also some guy there asking him repeated questions like:
Are you going to play suck a dog’s rear end?
Are you going to play suck a <animal>’s <genitalia>?

To which Wesley answered each with a nod.

I saw fear in 96 for their have another beer tour. I remember I locked my keys in the car and noticed immediately, but thought gently caress it and went to see the show.

The first dead milkmen show I saw was after they released the king in yellow, so I guess 2012. By the time I heard of it the show was sold out, so I went on the dead milkmen message board and demanded a ticket because I’d been a member since 97, and Rodney got me added to the guest list.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

I once wore a "The Spice Girls" T-Shirt to a The Vandals concert.

A concert where I saw The Vandals guitarist Warren Fitzgerald slide down a bannister on his scrotum.

I met Dave and Jaime from the Vandals like 20 years ago, at the height of my punk-rock dog-collar cosplay days. They looked at me like I was kind of an rear end in a top hat (true) but were pretty cool regardless. I think they signed some stuff for me. Still a big fan, although it would be great if they'd release another anything.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Literally A Person posted:

I actually hate the gently caress out of Anti-Flag and here is why. That show I went to was loving sweet. We were having a really great time the bands where loving kickin' and the the crowd was really into it. Then here come the headliner: Anti-Flag. Before they start playing the lead singer comes out and politely(WTF?) asks us if we could please not smoke in the venue because it hurts his wittle voice. After that day I realized, this, this is not the band for me.

That's a guy that just hasn't had enough human piss thrown at him.

Speaking of piss, if anyone has HBO there's an episode of Foo Fighters Sonic Highways (I know, shut up) that was shot in DC, and the back half of it focuses on Inner Ear studio where Bad Brains and Minor Threat/Fugazi recorded most of their stuff. Guest stars some of the Brains and Ian MacKaye and so worth a watch.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh man, Alaska, a mix of Siouxsie and Debbie Harry. Esta chica no coordina. Band sounds a bit like Devo, too. I've always liked that song, and the silly clip.

As a response both to this and to the guy who said he liked folk punk, here's an all-female folk punk band from Madrid, Brutus Daughters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI4zY5FNP24

And Skontra, folk punk from Asturias:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXQXqk3N9i8

If anyone wants more Spanish-language punk in general they should check out the Spanish learning thread in A&T, we've been posting tons of links there.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Speaking of the Go-Go's, I love Charlotte Caffey's pre-Go-Go's band, The Eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stB9UTaQX5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuFHs9eWYU4

This owns, I'd never heard it before. The Go-Go's themselves maybe don't quite fit into this thread, but they've been a guilty pleasure of mine since I discovered them a few years ago by chance.

Our Lips Are Sealed is just a classic power pop song and Belinda Carlisle looks super cute in the 'clip':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3kQlzOi27M

Head Over Heels is cool, too, and the clip is hilariously eighties. Just been learning how to play the bass solo at 2:32.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUqMqBl9Qrs

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 20, 2020

dorkthrone
Nov 11, 2019

PinkoBastard posted:

i did synth and samples for the stench/crust band Zygome, they’re really cool people and excellent if you like that type of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?lSGOmGsFy0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?16b5rEeoMgA

And I saw the band framtid a while back and it was super nuts

I'm really digging this. Good job on those synth sounds!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Post your first punk shows

Mine was Bigwig, Ensign and the Suicide Machines

D.O.A., The Hormones, and Sons of Hercules

I've been listening to this song a lot, lately.

Propagandhi - Without Love

Here's Bill Stevenson talking about how much he loves it and them, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRrYCBWb0Y

I can't forget to add a good song Bill wrote, too. Descendents - One More Day

dorkthrone fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 20, 2020

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

So is Punk Rock JUST music? Because I thought it was, like, a state of mind. An anarchist philosophy of sorts.

This punk rock thread only talking about music doesn't seem very Punk Rock, for example.

I could be wrong though!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Punk rock is specifically a genre of music, yes. The subculture is just punk.

I briefly talked about some cultural aspects in my Minor Threat post (which understandably no one read), but honestly, philosophizing about the transcendent importance and meaning of punk is very un-punk as well.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was the idealistic kid who bought into the whole "punk involves solidarity and unity" bit but a lot of times the expectations did not match the reality at all tbh

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Phlegmish posted:

Punk rock is specifically a genre of music, yes. The subculture is just punk.

I briefly talked about some cultural aspects in my Minor Threat post (which understandably no one read), but honestly, philosophizing about the transcendent importance and meaning of punk is very un-punk as well.

I read it!

I sort of avoided listening to Minor Threat when I played in punk bands in the 90's/ 2000's because I thought the straight edge thing was dumb, but I always respected their musicianship. Those guys were tight. You can tell that the Bad Brains influenced them tremendously.

I've listened to mostly punk music for most of my life, but I never wore a leather jacket or a mohawk or anything. Punk to me is just a state of mind. The word has been co-opted by wildly different groups of people, and there are all sorts of infighting factions, and it's just stupid.

I just wanna play my drums and tell a cop to go gently caress himself. That is punk to me.

dorkthrone
Nov 11, 2019

What are some of your favorite punk rock fueled movies? Dudes is up there for me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I read it!

I sort of avoided listening to Minor Threat when I played in punk bands in the 90's/ 2000's because I thought the straight edge thing was dumb, but I always respected their musicianship. Those guys were tight. You can tell that the Bad Brains influenced them tremendously.

I've listened to mostly punk music for most of my life, but I never wore a leather jacket or a mohawk or anything. Punk to me is just a state of mind. The word has been co-opted by wildly different groups of people, and there are all sorts of infighting factions, and it's just stupid.

I just wanna play my drums and tell a cop to go gently caress himself. That is punk to me.

Yeah. Punk isn't fashion, and it's more than just music, it's a vague, upbeat sense of rebellion, defiance, uncontrolled energy, DIY, equality, eschewing materialism and hierarchies. In some bands and circles, of course, it takes a more concrete ideological form.

Blink 182 was brought up earlier in the thread, I didn't consider them to be punk as a teenager, and I guess I still don't. Not because their music isn't real or hard enough (no one would argue that the Undertones or the Buzzcocks aren't real punk), their songs are fine, I like many of them. It's not even because they were very commercially successful. To me, they weren't punk because they did poo poo like star in their own reality shows, become tabloid fodder, exclusively date plastic supermodels, buy ostentatious mansions, etc. In that sense, yes, punk is more than music to me.

Kind of ties in with how I feel about the whole straight edge hardcore thing. I used to dislike it because it smacks of moralism, even religion, but then I started becoming more familiar with the cultural context. America in the early eighties was the height of Reaganism, the whole decade was marked by yuppie materialism and superficiality, the airwaves were ruled by hair metal bands singing about doing cocaine and groupies every night, and how they had more money than you, and there was a drug epidemic going on. And then, just like in Britain half a decade earlier, you had angry kids picking up a guitar, pouring out their angst and energy in music, and screaming 'we're not like you'. Thinking of it like that, I do appreciate that scene.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

dorkthrone posted:

What are some of your favorite punk rock fueled movies? Dudes is up there for me.

Dudes is great. I think that is Lee Ving's finest acting role.

One of my favorite "punk" movies is an Australian one starring the late Michael Hutchence (INXS):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpPWge2madA

Other than that, Suburbia (1983) is a classic. And Thrashin'.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's not much a movie but the 1994 Charlie Sheen movie "The Chase" had a hell of a soundtrack. Multiple NOFX and Rancid songs, Bad Religion, Rollins Band (Henry cameos as a cop in the movie), Offspring, Down By Law.

The closing credits was the first time I ever heard Please Play This Song On The Radio by NOFX

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

The absolute most punk-rock movie in existence is Plastic Utopia. Not a single punk song in the whole movie but if you've seen it you know exactly what I mean.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I like punk music but I’ve never really been a punk or part of the scene. Sometimes it felt like the standards were too high, and I didn’t care enough. I don’t take much seriously and half-rear end my way through most things in life. Like I know tv party is supposed to be satire but the idea of hanging out and watching dumb poo poo while drinking beer sounds like good fun to me so I choose to interpret it that way.
Minor threat is good music despite the self-righteousness, I agree.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

John Doe's finest moment:

Quoting this from the old thread about Roadhouse and because John Doe is a loving hero.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Quoting this from the old thread about Roadhouse and because John Doe is a loving hero.

X is to rock music as Roadhouse is to hilariously bad/ wonderful movies. I love X. And Roadhouse.

I was lucky enough to see them on Friday the 13th of December, 2013, and it was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQALMBmX3mY

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I hadn't heard of X until I finally got around to watching Decline of Western Civilization. They're loving amazing and the fact that they never made it big is proof of how dumb the music industry is.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Also anyone ever been to one of Mike Watt's project band shows? I caught him and The Secondmen in Little Rock like 15 years ago and it was horrible. One of the worst live shows Ive been too. I was never clear if that is normal for him or if they just didn't give a poo poo since they were playing in the back room of a pizza place in Arkansas.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

CoffeeBooze posted:

I hadn't heard of X until I finally got around to watching Decline of Western Civilization. They're loving amazing and the fact that they never made it big is proof of how dumb the music industry is.

That’s true but also X got pretty fuckin bad - See How We Are is truly abysmal and the title track has some casual racism to boot. I remember seeing some videos of Exene talking a while back and it didn’t seem she was doing so hot - going on about conspiracy stuff (don’t remember specifically but i think it was Obama-related)

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
X did rule though and Los Angeles is a stone cold
Classic

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Pollen are insanely sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?2-BfjjaBFXA

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

CoffeeBooze posted:

Also anyone ever been to one of Mike Watt's project band shows? I caught him and The Secondmen in Little Rock like 15 years ago and it was horrible. One of the worst live shows Ive been too. I was never clear if that is normal for him or if they just didn't give a poo poo since they were playing in the back room of a pizza place in Arkansas.

I won free tickets to see Mike Watt with some weird backing band at Bottom of the Hill in San Francisco in 2012 or 2013 (I think). It wasn't particularly good or memorable, but I don't remember it being terrible.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

PinkoBastard posted:

X did rule though and Los Angeles is a stone cold
Classic

Yeah, although I wish it didn't have all that lovely Ray Manzarek keyboard on it. Wild Gift is great too. Under the Big Black Sun is where it starts to head south in ny opinion, but I like stuff from all of their periods.There is an anthology called Beyond & Back that I would recommend to anyone looking to get a feel for X.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

PinkoBastard posted:

That’s true but also X got pretty fuckin bad - See How We Are is truly abysmal and the title track has some casual racism to boot. I remember seeing some videos of Exene talking a while back and it didn’t seem she was doing so hot - going on about conspiracy stuff (don’t remember specifically but i think it was Obama-related)

I havent really kept up with anyone from X or any other band for that matter so I did like five seconds of googlings and.... yikes.....

Wikipedia" posted:

Cervenka, as a self-styled "conspiracy therapist," has provoked controversy on social media and on YouTube, under the name "Christine Notmyrealname," by advancing conspiracy theories including the view that the Isla Vista shootings were a hoax designed to bring about stricter gun control laws. After the backlash, she has issued an apology on her Facebook and Twitter accounts and her conspiracy related YouTube videos are no longer available for viewing.[22][23][24]

I suppose pretty much everyone involved in punk from that era is a boomer so some of them getting older and getting into weird boomer poo poo shouldnt be all that surprising. Thats sad and disappointing nonetheless.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
i enjoy punk music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJoo7Tgjr8U

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Not a punk movie, but I remember being very surprised at hearing a cover of Degenerated by Reagan Youth show up in Airheads. It's the movie band's signature song, even. Degenerated was one of my favorite songs as a teenager, and I still think it owns. That relentlessly fuzzy guitar, that sloppy solo played halfway through, it's so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcWyZKGCDL8

Movie cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdduFN_LdR4

Works well enough, and I really have to give props to whomever came up with that extremely non-obvious choice, but it seems a bit lifeless compared to the original.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

CoffeeBooze posted:

I havent really kept up with anyone from X or any other band for that matter so I did like five seconds of googlings and.... yikes.....

I suppose pretty much everyone involved in punk from that era is a boomer so some of them getting older and getting into weird boomer poo poo shouldnt be all that surprising. Thats sad and disappointing nonetheless.

God it’s even worse than I remember, what a bummer

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was baffled at first, then I saw Hey Mickey by Toni Basil and started laughing. You know what, I don't even hate it, when you think about it it's kind of like an Oi! sing-along song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aqLwHP4y6Q

Toni Basil's definitely got energy for days, and that organ is kind of cool, song gets me pumped

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Phlegmish posted:

I was baffled at first, then I saw Hey Mickey by Toni Basil and started laughing. You know what, I don't even hate it, when you think about it it's kind of like an Oi! sing-along song:

Welp, I know what I'm doing tonight.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Phlegmish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aqLwHP4y6Q

Toni Basil's definitely got energy for days, and that organ is kind of cool, song gets me pumped

Toni Basil rules!

She was in Easy Rider.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like good charrolet (:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
used to love crass and DKs and subhumans when i was in high school

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nooner posted:

I like good charrolet (:

Sure. They have a couple of songs I like, although Lifestyles of the Rich and the Famous turned out to be ironic in hindsight.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Nooner posted:

I like good charrolet (:

YOU SICK SON-OF-A-BITCH!!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Dixville posted:

Speaking of female singers... i loved Tsunami Bomb

I missed Tsunami Bomb at warped tour 2001 to make out with some random girl who did her hair using glue. Bad choice I regret to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I just remembered Nerf Herder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvAGBz4ZJm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAihVP4R1pU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bD-yAhW5Y0

Nerf Herder posted:

Sittin in my boxers, eating AppleJacks