Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I once wore a "The Spice Girls" T-Shirt to a The Vandals concert.

A concert where I saw The Vandals guitarist Warren Fitzgerald slide down a bannister on his scrotum.

That's how punk I am. So ner!

I also, at the same venue but at a different time, got the horn section from similarly named band Nancy Vandal to sign my arse cheek, whilst my brother looked on in abject embarrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I was baffled at first, then I saw Hey Mickey by Toni Basil and started laughing. You know what, I don't even hate it, when you think about it it's kind of like an Oi! sing-along song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aqLwHP4y6Q

Toni Basil's definitely got energy for days, and that organ is kind of cool, song gets me pumped

Toni Basil rules!

She was in Easy Rider.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Some punk bands from my youth, (early 90s), and geographic region, (Australia) that haven't been mentioned yet:

Frenzal Rhomb - A lot of fun to see live, and they picked a fight with Jackie O and Kyle Sandilands. WHich is always cool.

BodyJar - Not as hardcore as any of the others mentioned, but I liked them.

The Meanies - A little earlier than my time as a punk teen, but still a fun band. A little like the Ramones insomuch as they learned 3 chords, played them fast, and stopped at that.

Nancy Vandal - Disregarding TISM, (who are most certainly not "punk", and about whom there was a rumour going around my school that our year 10 maths teacher was the bassist), my favourite band of all time. A heap of fun to see live, they have never taken themselves too seriously, always rocked hard, and have silly album names to boot. I got my arse signed by the horn section of this band once, and on a separate occasion talked with the trombonist for 20 odd minutes about David Lee Roth, Chevey Chase movies, and cocaine. Coz I am cool like that.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

My dabbling with Ska largely consisted of Area 7 and Fat Freddy's Drop.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

All this talk of Punk has been very human-centric. What about tree dwelling rodents? They deserve punk too.

And for the poster above me, Chrissie Amphlett of the Divinyls is awesome. No question.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I don't have any pics, but these posters remind me of Fox Trotsky, (lead singer of Nancy Vandal), and his art that he used to do and make gig posters of.

Nancy Vandal were lovely. Silly, loud and beery. I have mentioned how on one occasion I got the horn section to sign my arse at the HiFi, and at another occasion at The Espy, I spoke with the keyboardist about Chevy Chase and Van Halen for half an hour.

Horn section AND a keyboardist! how punk is that? But seriously they were a great punk band.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

My funny Sepultura story:

My brother and I have an in-joke about their song "Roots Bloody Roots" from the album "Roots"

Whilst the song is, in itself, silly enough, we have decided to make it sillier. Because apropos of nothing, one of us will say to the other:

"Hey brother, what would you call an apple, a banana, and a pineapple?"

"I don't know."

"FRUITS! BLOODY FRUITS!"

"Oh, that's interesting. But do you know what sound a train makes?"

"No, I do not."

"It goes TOOT! BLOODY TOOT!"

etc. and so forth. It is dumb as hell, but it makes us laugh.

The song in question.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_6IjeprfEs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6mpwcCcdao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1DRTnP0gY8

The keen eyed among you will notice that both of these film clips are drawn by the same guy. He is the singer/guitarist in the first band. And one night after a gig I got to embarrass myself in front of his wife by asking him to sign my arse. (which he did). Also, there has not been enough Frenzhal Rhomb in this thread. And they are a pivotal band of my youth.