Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
counterpoint: who gives a poo poo

edit: this is a hell of a snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

It's okay and even good that different subforums (and different threads) have their own style. Everyone on this site sees 90% of the userbase as their mortal enemies anyways

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

sponges posted:

A probation for this? Are you kidding me? Are people not allowed to gently caress around in a thread about god drat comic book movie of all things?

Ugh

Unbridled narcissism? Claiming that their probation was a sacrificial move to save the thread's debate? Yeah, that's threadshitting and just plain annoying. Continuing to take the air out of a thread, for playful narcissism or empty antagonism, in a thread you just got probated for, is probably not a good idea.

Everyone's been able to post their alternate curated MCU lists undeterred and make jokes, so I dunno why SMG being probated again makes you feel like your ability to have fun is personally attacked. Just don't be an rear end in a top hat or make it all about yourself or posting culture. If you wanna discuss it, PM me.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 16, 2020

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
my mcu list:

1) reading smg's posts

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ungulateman posted:

my mcu list:

1) reading smg's posts

A museum that played a film on repeat while a voice to text program read out a discussion thread about the film would be a good idea for an art installation I'm sure someone's already done.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
To be very clear: I am not ‘claiming’ or ‘pretending’ to have saved the thread. I did save the thread, as I set out to do.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m here to save the thread, given that the OP has achieved his purpose and left.

My subsequent writing has had an objective, measurable effect: an immediate 300% increase in on-topic posting, multiple A-quality longform posts (attributed by their authors to the effects of The Event), widespread declarations of fun being had, etc.

That I (or anyone else) would face punishment (however minor and ultimately unimportant) for staying on topic, encouraging discussion, and having fun shows that my over-identification with the MCU constitutes a purely political threat. I am following the rules too closely. I am believing too strongly in these films.

Treating the films as artworks and reading them carefully is, obviously, terrifying. Doing so goes beyond the shattering impact of Scorsese, who couldn’t find artwork here at all. So, I became the End-Boss of the thread. I am now Overlord of the thread. That’s not a metaphor.

Now, with that out of the way: why Attraction?

Well, the obvious reason is that the alien visitor in Attraction, named Hekon, is patently a variation of Thor who wears an Iron Man suit. This draws the narrative and thematic links between those two characters more clearly than the ‘cosmic cube’ macguffin of Avengers. When Attraction is incorporated into the MCU (in place of the Thor movies), then all of Stark’s products are derived from alien technology - not just the power source. And, so, we have a distinct improvement on the narrative of Disney’s “Phase 1”, where Asgard is presented as the utopian vision to which Stark aspires.

(If Stark’s power suits are so great, how come nobody else in the canon Universe uses them?)

At the same time, Attraction does a much better job of highlighting just how hosed the Asgardian utopia is. Hekon is explicitly a liberal whose civilization has declared Earth a “no-go zone” and left filthy lower-class humanity to be exterminated by inevitable climate change. So, while Attraction is a pro-multiculturalism narrative where Hekon is a fish-out-of water attacked by the usual rightwing nutjob , the film doesn’t shy away from the fact that Hekon is, in his attractiveness, an antichrist figure who offers galactic liberalism as the only alternative to death. He slots in nicely alongside other fake, New Agey Supermans like Vision, Thor, etc.

So now the stage is set for the rampant unemployment facing the superpowered characters in Chappie and Code 8, where a combination of automation and outsourcing has left many struggling or homeless. Code 8 has, in its backstory, a “Second Industrial Revolution”, which is effectively the creation of a drone workforce to eliminate the need for troublesome workers. (The workers also have mutant powers because the film is an explicitly Marxist riff on the X-Men fighting the Sentinels.) So, Hekon’s utopia is founded on the oppression of the Code 8 mutants.

This is the kind of political stuff that’s entirely repressed in the ‘canonical’ MCU, even though it must be there. Thor and Scarlet Witch are natural enemies. You can’t have a Tony Stark without massive unemployment, bu- look over there! It’s a big, purple distraction!

Have we ever even seen the inside of a Stark Industries factory?

So Tony Stark dies without even meeting his arch-nemesis, the Mandarin. He doesn’t even know that the Mandarin’s alive and still doing terrorism! So it’s not a great ending. After Earth is a great ending.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 16, 2020

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Is this peak SMG?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
SMG, I didn't probate you for discussion or encouraging discussion. You can talk about MCU as much as you want (as long as you don't do so to flippantly talk about rape and sexual assault under the guise of artistic deconstruction).

I probated you for declaring yourself the thread's end boss, and taking away from discussion to promote yourself as the pinnacle of posting in this thread, a force to be thwarted. That is decidedly not on topic. That's the self-adulation of an egotist.

You have come back to this thread, not to just move on and continue discussion, but to do the exact same thing you were just probated for, before continuing discussion.

Why do you assume you would be saved probation for repeating the same offense?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Getting in trouble for being grandiose in a tongue in cheek way, like some sort of arch villain, in a comic book thread is very ironic

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

They obviously do not. But the notion that being off topic and making dozens of posts about yourself as a "character" in a running joke gets other people probated is laughable. That's 90% of Kvlt's posts and he explicitly never engages substantively with anything. Which is not to say he deserves a probation, but what's the difference besides one annoys you and you think one of them is cute?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Franchescanado posted:

SMG, I didn't probate you for discussion or encouraging discussion. You can talk about MCU as much as you want (as long as you don't do so to flippantly talk about rape and sexual assault under the guise of artistic deconstruction).

I probated you for declaring yourself the thread's end boss, and taking away from discussion to promote yourself as the pinnacle of posting in this thread, a force to be thwarted. That is decidedly not on topic. That's the self-adulation of an egotist.

You have come back to this thread, not to just move on and continue discussion, but to do the exact same thing you were just probated for, before continuing discussion.

People's fantasies about 'SMG' were obviously holding them back from posting on-topic; they would rather talk about me than about the MCU, despite the fact that I do not actually exist.

Even you are fantasizing that it's all a trick: that my actions speaking out against sexism and racism are all an illusion, and 'SMG' is secretly a patriarchal harasser deep inside....

So, my devious plan was enact a scenario where their fantasies are realized as nightmare. Confronting people this way was the best way to defuse the situation - and it worked.

My position is unassailable, so you've been left with no choice but to police my 'tone'.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I don't think it's the funniest gimmic of all time past and future but it's also pretty far from deserving probation imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DeimosRising posted:

They obviously do not. But the notion that being off topic and making dozens of posts about yourself as a "character" in a running joke gets other people probated is laughable. That's 90% of Kvlt's posts and he explicitly never engages substantively with anything. Which is not to say he deserves a probation, but what's the difference besides one annoys you and you think one of them is cute?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
To be very clear:

You've made it against the rules to say that a man creating a bride for himself is a form of sexist objectification.

Even though that basic ideological critique is straightforwardly both factual and true, it is banned on the basis that I may be personally corrupted by an undetectable dark essence.

That's a huge failure - but it's one that I've corrected in my curated list of MCU films, which excludes Endgame and replaces it with The Guest.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Swiped from the other thread but man the Marvel universe feels weird.

https://twitter.com/PlayAvengers/status/1272921879003770881?s=20

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

To be very clear:

You've made it against the rules to say that a man creating a bride for himself is a form of sexist objectification.

Even though that basic ideological critique is straightforwardly both factual and true, it is banned on the basis that I may be personally corrupted by an undetectable dark essence.

That's a huge failure - but it's one that I've corrected in my curated list of MCU films.

That is your interpretation of the events. I made a rule against discussing Captain America being a rapist in a film because the discussion wasn't being met with the seriousness and trepidation that a topic such as rape and sexual assault should be handled with. I brought this up several times, giving the thread a chance to work within a pretty reasonable guideline, before outright banning it at your persistence. That you disagree with my assertion becomes irrelevant when you are the perpetrator of the issue.

To be pedantic with your word choice, I do not police your tone, I moderate your posting, which you seemingly need in abundance.

Crimpolioni posted:

I don't think it's the funniest gimmic of all time past and future but it's also pretty far from deserving probation imo

I appreciate your input, but I disagree.

I Before E posted:

Getting in trouble for being grandiose in a tongue in cheek way, like some sort of arch villain, in a comic book thread is very ironic

And like a MCU villain, they are thwarted in an unspectacular fashion. In this case, a probation button, or the closing of a thread.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

We need Dr Strange to make some circles and summon James Woods back.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Hawkeye.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Escobarbarian posted:

I like Hawkeye.

Recast him though. Jeremey Renner sucks (both in the movies and irl).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bootleg Trunks posted:

That's based on the weird grind-tastic lootgame that drops for this gen in a few months.

Basically The Avengers gently caress up bigtime, blow up half of NYC, Cap dies, etc.

So I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to construct a few separate reading orders:

* Phase-based
* Infinity Saga based

They'll probably be the same but it's like understanding why you can skip AM&TW for one.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 16, 2020

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

DeimosRising posted:

The difference is Kvlt is generally sticks to one thread (the horror thread) and at his absolute worst he just doesn't use capslock and is weird in how extreme he likes his horror films. When he posts it generally doesn't turn into another full page extension because he has to make himself the star of the show.

Kvlt also isn't one the most ignored posters on the entire forums.

Did you notice how when SMG was probated this thread actually had discussion and debate and the loving second he got back it suddenly became another episode of SMG's Wacky Adventures? It's not funny, it's not interesting, it doesn't invite debate, it's just loving obnoxious.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bootleg Trunks posted:

It's SO weird. I mean obviously this is a scheduled post but this is from today, this isn't from 2 months ago.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
https://twitter.com/Gorksanity/status/1272962528444919810

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kvlt! is genuine, that's the difference.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why even bring him up. The “””””””””worst””””””””” thing he does is poo poo on midsommer and likes rob zombie movies.

That’s a big rear end so what lmao

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

OpenSourceBurger posted:

The difference is Kvlt is generally sticks to one thread (the horror thread) and at his absolute worst he just doesn't use capslock and is weird in how extreme he likes his horror films. When he posts it generally doesn't turn into another full page extension because he has to make himself the star of the show.

Kvlt also isn't one the most ignored posters on the entire forums.

Did you notice how when SMG was probated this thread actually had discussion and debate and the loving second he got back it suddenly became another episode of SMG's Wacky Adventures? It's not funny, it's not interesting, it doesn't invite debate, it's just loving obnoxious.

More than half your posts in this thread are angry whining about how embarrassing we all are, why put yourself through such bad feelings, just stick to the movies

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Anyway, I think in my opinion the only films in the serious I'd seriously consider ignoring/not watching are Iron Man 2 and Thor 2. It's been a while but I can't recall either really adding any story beats to the overall arc and neither film is interesting enough to watch and enjoy purely as films on their own.

We talked over Age of Ultron earlier and for all it's failings and issues I'd say it's worth at least a watch if only for Spader's performance as well as a good lead in to Civil War and another important step in Tony's development as a character.

With the upcoming films I'm interested if they conitue with what seemed like the original plan of focusing back on single character films for the foreseeable future, I don't recall there being any interest in leading up to another Thanos level threat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tbh I admire the MCU for not playing that game of “push the bad ones under the carpet” because I hate that. Ultron and Dark World had a lot of story bests they continued in Endgame which I felt was surprising. It made me glad I rewatched them even if I didn’t enjoy them lol.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Anyway, I think in my opinion the only films in the serious I'd seriously consider ignoring/not watching are Iron Man 2 and Thor 2.
IM2 has the introduction of Black Widow and... that's pretty much it I think aside from Rhodes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Um Justin hammer dance!???

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Franchescanado posted:

That is your interpretation of the events. I made a rule against discussing Captain America being a rapist in a film because the discussion wasn't being met with the seriousness and trepidation that a topic such as rape and sexual assault should be handled with.

It is not an interpretation; it is a basic summary of the film’s literal plot: the character literally uses technomagic to create an alternate ‘virtual’ fantasy world, into which he retires. This creation includes a wife for himself. This is also straightforward sexism, as in the movie Ex Machina.

(If that is not the plot of the film, it should be easy to falsify my statements. But you can’t. Hence the need for censorship.)

Now, the giveaway here is that you’ve supplemented your original claim with a new, secondary claim: that I am too dedicated to the truth, and insufficiently respectful towards falsehood. Why don’t I respect other opinions about straightforward true/false statements? This new claim obviously contradicts the original claim that I am secretly insincere.

There’s only one way in which those two claims don’t contradict: if my actual ‘crime’ is criticizing Disney’s Avengers 4: Endgame too harshly.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 16, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Kvlt! is genuine, that's the difference.

For clarity, I responded to Deimos in PM so as not to send the thread further off the rails.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

IM2 has the introduction of Black Widow and... that's pretty much it I think aside from Rhodes.

Putting it that way, what did IM3 do that affected the wider MCU?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wormhole-induced PTSD, the all-consuming need for security that prompts Armors Across America/Ultron, proto-hulkbuster.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Laughing Zealot posted:

Putting it that way, what did IM3 do that affected the wider MCU?

Not the wider MCU necessarily, but it's the movie where Tony finally gets the shrapnel taken out of his chest.

Iron Man 3 could've had more impact on the MCU if they'd used it more to justify Stark's stance in Civil War. But Ultron came along and covered most of the same ground, making Iron Man 3 mostly redundant.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Instead of watching Iron Man 2, watch the drone battle and then watch the miniseries Primal by Genndy Tartakovsky, storyboarder for that drone battle, and silently mourn the years in which his talents were spent doing Adam Sandler comedies about what if Dracula had a hotel

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Iron Man 2 and 3 aren't necessary stories required to watch if you want to understand/experience the Infinity Saga. They're character centric, and thus should be considered supplementary materials to the overall MCU. They're pretty good though, imo. Iron Man 2 in particular is one of the better looking MCU films, and both 2 and 3 do a lot to inform and grow Stark's character... but said character development gets completely ignored/dumpstered in the Avengers films that follow them, hence my recommendation for them as supplementary viewings.

[edit] Iron Man 2 alone is worth a viewing because of Justin Hammer though. Hands down, one of the best MCU characters.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 16, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The scene where Tony Airplays the failed Hammertech suit is amazing for Hammer's reaction.

Also that connect your phone to tv bullshit was mindblowing scifi and it's like in every bargain bin TCL set now.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Justin Hammer game me some serious Gary Oldman in Fifth Element vibes.

The more I think the more it seems like the film you can most easily cut out is Incredible Hulk. Especially with the actor change that movie really feels unconnected to the main MCU story. The only thing, aside from Hulk, it really brings to the table is Ross and even then he's introduced in other, better films in a more important way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Can you substitute Ang Lee’s Hulk in its place

If not, what about another Ang Lee film