Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I watched Iron Man 2 recently and Sam Rockwell is really good in it. He steals basically every scene he appears in.

I was giggling like a school girl every time he came on screen. I want a Justin Hammer movie!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...O9FrPsdmWvic4aX

James Woods fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

James Woods posted:

In a surprise decision my girlfriend thought that Iron Man 2 was the strongest of the films so far. Her reasoning was that Tony Stark is the only character thus far that feels like a real person. She likes his arc and the fact that he has flaws as opposed to Captain America and Hulk who are portrayed as being altruistic to the point that they're unbelievable. She likes the fact that he's a blowhard, a drunk and a womanizer. She made a point to notice that both Howard and Tony Stark came on stage for the Stark Expo with a bunch of dancing girls in tow (a detail I'd previously missed). She was happy to see Tony finally show his feelings for Pepper after shouting "Kiss her!" many times at the screen.

She throughly enjoyed Sam Rockwell chewing the scenery every time he was on screen. She also got really into the Roadie/Drunk Iron Man fight and wants to see more War Machine. She absolutely LOVED Black Widow and was yelling "gently caress yeah girl! Kick his rear end!" Every time she was on screen. She wants a Black Widow movie and I told her she'll have to wait for later this year. I didn't tell her anything other than that...

Current Standings
1. Iron Man 2
2. Iron Man
3. Captain America: The First Avenger
4. The Incredible Hulk

Next up Thor.

She's gonna love the part in Thor 2 where Loki makes fun of Cap. Also known as the only good part of that movie.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Papercut posted:

She's gonna love the part in Thor 2 where Loki makes fun of Cap. Also known as the only good part of that movie.

That's going to be a dark episode in the series to say the least. Timestamp? Luckily it's sandwiched between two better movies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm the sole human who enjoyed Thor 2, ama

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm the sole human who enjoyed Thor 2, ama

It has some good stuff in it but it really drags in the middle. Also the whole Dark Elves thing just feels like a rehash of the first movie where you've got this ancient enemy of Asgard all the sudden declaring war once again. Only this time Thor didn't cause it himself, so even less interesting.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

James Woods posted:

That's going to be a dark episode in the series to say the least. Timestamp? Luckily it's sandwiched between two better movies.

idk the timestamp but it's this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aGLX4egWTg

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mIq-hoWpRM

An amazingly accurate arrogant CEO giving a presentation dance.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mIq-hoWpRM

An amazingly accurate arrogant CEO giving a presentation dance.

I literally slapped the iPhone out of her hand just before this sequence so she could enjoy it.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's 22 good movies she could watch instead.

Yeah, just go watch insightful films with something to say instead, OP.

MCU movies are specifically designed by a committee of primarily old white people and their rich failsons in order to maximize as much profits as possible on the global market in favor of anything remotely resembling creative freedom. They don’t even allow the loving directors to film certain scenes. Black Panther literally has T’Challa protecting white supremacy in Africa FFS because the producers know 1) America is too docile and stupid to understand this, and 2) they know African countries don’t have the political agency to do anything about it.

Good comic book movies are almost always the ones that consciously downplay the source material in favor of realistic aesthetic, such as Blade, Logan, and Dredd 2012.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

James Woods posted:

I literally slapped the iPhone out of her hand just before this sequence so she could enjoy it.

If her phone was in her hand for most of the movie that might explain why she enjoyed it so much, because Iron Man 2 is baaaaaaaad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A4R8 posted:

Yeah, just go watch insightful films with something to say instead, OP.

MCU movies are specifically designed by a committee of primarily old white people and their rich failsons in order to maximize as much profits as possible on the global market in favor of anything remotely resembling creative freedom. They don’t even allow the loving directors to film certain scenes. Black Panther literally has T’Challa protecting white supremacy in Africa FFS because the producers know 1) America is too docile and stupid to understand this, and 2) they know African countries don’t have the political agency to do anything about it.

Good comic book movies are almost always the ones that consciously downplay the source material in favor of realistic aesthetic, such as Blade, Logan, and Dredd 2012.

The premise of the thread is that they're watching the MCU movies. You are being a party pooper.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

If her phone was in her hand for most of the movie that might explain why she enjoyed it so much, because Iron Man 2 is baaaaaaaad.

I dunno, it has like 45 minutes of good movie in it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I curated a list of MCU films around the time of Endgame's release that encompasses the narrative thrust of the 'Infinity Saga' into a condensed 10-film series.

The Avengers
Thor: The Dark World
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War
Avengers: Endgame

Any MCU first timer can just watch those and not miss a beat. All the Infinity Stones are introduced, and most post-credits stingers directly lead into the next film on the list so there shouldn't be any confusion.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

The premise of the thread is that they're watching the MCU movies. You are being a party pooper.

Thank you. That was the spirit of this exercise not to quibble whether it's worth watching in the first place.

We're watching it. For better or worse.

That said she watched both Thor and Avengers over the last two days. After watching Thor she pushed it just ahead of The Incredible Hulk and just behind Captain America: The First Avenger . She liked the love story and fish out of water elements of Thor and felt it kept her more engaged. ^I'll have another!".

Tonight we watched Avengers and she loved it. She adored the interplay between the major players and liked seeing these movies go someplace. She's lovecd. ^I understand that reference.." Next is Iron Man 3.

Current Standings
1. Avengers
2. Iron Man 2
3. Iron Man
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Thor
6. The Incredible Hulk

James Woods fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 22, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

James Woods posted:

Thank you. That was the spirit of this exercise not to quibble whether it's worth watching in the first place.

We're watching it. For better or worse.

That said she watched both Thor and Avengers over the last two days. After watching Thor she pushed it just ahead of The Incredible Hulk and just behind Captain America: The First Avenger . She liked the love story and fish out of water elements of Thor and felt it kept her more engaged. ^I'll have another!".

Tonight we watched Avengers and she loved it. She adored the interplay between the major players and liked seeing these movies go someplace. She's lovecd. ^I understand that reference.." Next is Iron Man 3.

Current Standings
1. Avengers
2. Iron Man 2
3. Iron Man
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Thor
6. The Incredible Hulk

Halt the plan immediately and follow these up with The Guest, Robocop 2014, and Chappie.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I really need to re-watch Avengers at some point. Feel like I've seen a lot of "it's not as bad as I remembered".

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Laughing Zealot posted:

I really need to re-watch Avengers at some point. Feel like I've seen a lot of "it's not as bad as I remembered".

"You know, I haven't seen this in a while it's not half bad."
"You're right, it's all bad!"

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
They’re all pretty fun movies in some way, have fun OP. Though you should have known that posting this in CD wouldn’t be received very well

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Gonna vote for "watch the ones you like", anything needed from a film out of that list you can probably tell in a few minutes instead of watching the whole movie :shrug:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So all making GBS threads on the MCU aside, I'm honestly curious how the pandemic is going to ultimately impact the future of this franchise. Like, I could see it going either way. It sort of hit at the perfect time for Disney to take a break, right between the ending of the last "Phase" and this new one they're kickstarting with Black Widow. But people were already bracing for BW to be the first film in the series to do some smaller numbers.

I guess the question is, does the delay between the release hurt or help? Does this current social and political environment end up steering audiences away from the franchise, especially since Endgame gave it a nice conclusion with a bow on top that doesn't have people hanging on a cliffhanger (can you imagine if this thing hit precisely a year earlier and disrupted the April release of Endgame)? Or does everyone come flocking back, more hyped than ever to return to something familiar?

I'm sure Black Widow will make money, but how much is the question. Certainly not Endgame numbers, probably not Spider-Man numbers. And are there diminishing returns after that? There's a core base that's going to see it through to the bitter end but what's the retention rate from here on out?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Laughing Zealot posted:

It's worse; it's just so *ugly* and then you start to notice more and more just how badly things are shot.

Also, as brought up in another thread, it's super white - Disney making all of their main heroes white because of being scared to have minority heroes in that first wave didn't work out too well for the ensemble movie.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Darko posted:

Also, as brought up in another thread, it's super white - Disney making all of their main heroes white because of being scared to have minority heroes in that first wave didn't work out too well for the ensemble movie.

It's not like the roster of important characters is that diverse in Infinity War or Endgame, either. There are nonwhite characters *around* but they aren't significant to the story. Save...what, Rhodey? Falcon? T'Challa, Wong? It perhaps feels more diverse because of the pink and blue and purple people, and the sea of extras from Wakanda.

TrixRabbi posted:

So all making GBS threads on the MCU aside, I'm honestly curious how the pandemic is going to ultimately impact the future of this franchise. Like, I could see it going either way. It sort of hit at the perfect time for Disney to take a break, right between the ending of the last "Phase" and this new one they're kickstarting with Black Widow. But people were already bracing for BW to be the first film in the series to do some smaller numbers.

I don't imagine the delay is going to hurt the MCU commercially at all. Per your point, this is a fine time to interrupt what they're doing because there aren't any big ongoing plots. And if anything, when Black Widow finally does release, it'll be after pandemic restrictions loosen. So, you'll have this hotly-anticipated blockbuster releasing to people who feel really underserved, after months unable to leave the house. It might do way *better* than it would have normally, because fun new superhero entertainment now feels scarce.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Halt the plan immediately and follow these up with The Guest, Robocop 2014, and Chappie.

At least add these to your watch list OP, in case your SO is interested in some alternative takes on Cptn America, Warmachine, and Vision

Plus they are fun in and of them selves

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I've been rewatching the Marvel movies as my Disney+ sub runs down and if anything, the Whedon movies just look worse and worse with time. The GotG movies, Iron Man 3, and Ragnarok had directors and writers that actually had some creativity, skill, and vision. Whedon has QUIPS.

Also, it can't be understated that Whedon has this weird contempt/horniness for Black Widow that is extremely off-putting when you notice it. Really glad that the later movies have completely dropped his obsession with pushing a Hulk/Widow romance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

I don't imagine the delay is going to hurt the MCU commercially at all. Per your point, this is a fine time to interrupt what they're doing because there aren't any big ongoing plots. And if anything, when Black Widow finally does release, it'll be after pandemic restrictions loosen. So, you'll have this hotly-anticipated blockbuster releasing to people who feel really underserved, after months unable to leave the house. It might do way *better* than it would have normally, because fun new superhero entertainment now feels scarce.

Yea I think actually the pandemic is going to turn Black Widow and a few other movies that maybe don't quite deserve it into a huge hits. The whole "pent up demand" idea doesn't work in every context but for movies there will definitely be a major resurgence in people going to the theater in the month or two immediately after things get back to something resembling normal.

And by the time they do the next big team up movie, whatever that ends up being, we're talking 3-4 years down the road and I doubt what's going on now will be all that relevant to the box office numbers then.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

1stGear posted:

I've been rewatching the Marvel movies as my Disney+ sub runs down and if anything, the Whedon movies just look worse and worse with time. The GotG movies, Iron Man 3, and Ragnarok had directors and writers that actually had some creativity, skill, and vision. Whedon has QUIPS.

Also, it can't be understated that Whedon has this weird contempt/horniness for Black Widow that is extremely off-putting when you notice it. Really glad that the later movies have completely dropped his obsession with pushing a Hulk/Widow romance.

There's a whole thread of creepy running through all his work, it just stood out less in the 1990s when the bar was so low that "let woman fight monster" was a refreshing change of pace instead of just the 100th sequel to Resident Evil or Underworld.

The thing about Whedon is that he peaked in like, I dunno, 2003 or some poo poo if I'm generous, and has been actively backsliding ever since. His 2005 movie sequel to the 2002-2003 Firefly TV show is already notably worse than the TV show itself, and it just goes from there.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

sean10mm posted:

There's a whole thread of creepy running through all his work, it just stood out less in the 1990s when the bar was so low that "let woman fight monster" was a refreshing change of pace instead of just the 100th sequel to Resident Evil or Underworld.

It's an irony you'd pick those two franchises as a counterpoint, since that's very much what they were also about (Milla Jovovich and Kate Beckinsdale in leading action roles.) Those movies first released in 2002-2003, at the tail-end of Buffy's TV run, which probably isn't coincidental...Buffy was the benchmark for genre storytelling about hot women who kill monsters at that time, and I'm sure those projects were indebted to that.

It's weird to realize how thoroughly Joss Whedon's reputation has flipped since then. I used to love his poo poo, Buffy and Angel and Firefly. I even liked aspects of Dollhouse. But it's definitely a challenge to see past all the creepy, fetish-y poo poo that is and was always in there. And all the mean-spiritedness he has towards some of his female characters, for who they like or don't like, or for how they are or aren't sexual, or whatever the gently caress is going on with Black Widow in Age of Ultron.

Mostly, I land on his dorky, incel-adjacent nerd boy characters and what they say about his relationships to women. Xander was probably some kind of self-insert or everyman character at the time, but wow does he read as controlling and scornful and toxic now. And yet, his Buffy S6 villains are toxic misogynists on purpose...so how self-aware is he of all that? No idea.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Why don't you like Dr. Strange? The plot is basically the plot of Iron Man all over again, but the visuals are pretty sick and definitely the most inventive in the series, and the whole thing is decently well made. Just make sure you watch it while high as gently caress.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

thekeeshman posted:

Why don't you like Dr. Strange? The plot is basically the plot of Iron Man all over again, but the visuals are pretty sick and definitely the most inventive in the series, and the whole thing is decently well made. Just make sure you watch it while high as gently caress.

I think it's the most "paint-by-numbers origin story" of all of them. I'd give the visuals more credit if they weren't so similar to what we already got in Inception. The "Dormammu, I've come to bargain" part is a refreshingly inventive, clever ending, but it's just a bit too little too late imo.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

thekeeshman posted:

drat. Beat me to my post. Yeah, Strange was a really fun viewing and I really enjoyed what it brought to the table for effects. It avoided too much of the “blasting lasers” problem that superhero movies fall into (X:Men Apocalypse and Wonder Woman are two that come straight to mind.)

It’s great in 3D as well!

I think it’s why I like thr MCU quite a bit more than DCEU. The MCU evolved and I think better understood the tone it needed to strike. Around Winter Soldier, stories become a bit better and by GotG they start to nail the tone and humor. They’re not cinematic masterpieces, but a lot of phase 3 benefits from the learned experience of the previous years of movies.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Timby posted:

Literally the only thing of consequence that happens in it is the introduction of Scarlet Witch and Vision. Otherwise it's a 2.5-hour piece of misery.

Probably the only movie I've seen high in the theater and still been bored.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The only interesting part of AoU is how many Death Flags they gave hawkeye, and then just killed off runnyman instead.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Also while I'm embarrassing myself I would like to plug Spiderman: Homecoming, which I found to be really delightful and the first Spiderman that really seemed to channel the spirit of the character I loved in the comics. Also the only one who actually looked and acted like a high school dork.

Far from Home was pretty meh though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Xealot posted:

It's an irony you'd pick those two franchises as a counterpoint, since that's very much what they were also about (Milla Jovovich and Kate Beckinsdale in leading action roles.) Those movies first released in 2002-2003, at the tail-end of Buffy's TV run, which probably isn't coincidental...Buffy was the benchmark for genre storytelling about hot women who kill monsters at that time, and I'm sure those projects were indebted to that.

It's weird to realize how thoroughly Joss Whedon's reputation has flipped since then. I used to love his poo poo, Buffy and Angel and Firefly. I even liked aspects of Dollhouse. But it's definitely a challenge to see past all the creepy, fetish-y poo poo that is and was always in there. And all the mean-spiritedness he has towards some of his female characters, for who they like or don't like, or for how they are or aren't sexual, or whatever the gently caress is going on with Black Widow in Age of Ultron.

Mostly, I land on his dorky, incel-adjacent nerd boy characters and what they say about his relationships to women. Xander was probably some kind of self-insert or everyman character at the time, but wow does he read as controlling and scornful and toxic now. And yet, his Buffy S6 villains are toxic misogynists on purpose...so how self-aware is he of all that? No idea.

I think some of Whedon's old stuff was good for it's time or even Actually Good, but he's one of those people who has the right beliefs from 30,000 feet like "bigotry bad" but no capacity for self reflection on if they actually act in accordance with those beliefs.

Which sort of ties into how creatively he's been actively backsliding for ages.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Blade 1998

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Guest is absolutely the best Captain America movie

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Pain & Gain is another good "Captain America gone wrong" movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That would be a good idea, a bunch of movies that comprise the "actually good" MCU.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That would be a good idea, a bunch of movies that comprise the "actually good" MCU.

That's easy, just watch:

The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast & Furious
Fast Five

Fast Five is what The Avengers wishes it could have been.

[edit] The parallels between the Fast & Furious series and the MCU are unmistakable. Each film introduces new heroes, the escalating nature of their adventures with each new chapter, quips and comedy, bombastic action, heroes teaming up, etc. The Fast and Furious movies are just way more fun imo, because of how self aware they are about themselves and their ridiculous nature.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

thekeeshman posted:

Doctor Strange is a much more interesting movie when it's about him learning to accept his career is over than when he can do magic.