Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's 22 good movies she could watch instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
S-tier:
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain America: First Avenger

A-tier:
Captain Marvel
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Captain America: Civil War
Spider-Man: Far from Home

B-tier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Black Panther
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Avengers: Endgame
Ant-Man

C-tier
Thor: The Dark World
Iron Man 3
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Dr Strange
Iron Man

Marvel Owes Me a Refund Tier:
Avengers
Avengers: Infinity War
Iron Man 2
Avengers: Age of Ultron

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

QueenOfTheEvening posted:

Doctor Strange is a much more interesting movie when it's about him learning to accept his career is over than when he can do magic.

I feel like he never really does that though. At the point he starts learning magic he's still chasing a cure for his hands that will let him resume his surgical career, and then after a bit he realizes that being an actual sorcerer is cooler than being a surgeon and just does that instead. There's no point where he has to realize that he's not special, because he always is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

thekeeshman posted:

I feel like he never really does that though. At the point he starts learning magic he's still chasing a cure for his hands that will let him resume his surgical career, and then after a bit he realizes that being an actual sorcerer is cooler than being a surgeon and just does that instead. There's no point where he has to realize that he's not special, because he always is.

It's not helped by the movie taking place over almost exactly one year and him being in recover for like 5 months or whatever plus all that other research. So he goes from that to becoming the sorcerer supreme in like a month? It really does come off like he's just like huh, magic is real? Weird, guess I'll learn all of that too but really really fast because I'm the main character.

EDIT: LOL Remember that statement the director put out about how the Ancient One couldn't be Asian in this because he was adamant the Ancient One be a woman and that if they cast an Asian woman she would end up just being a stereotypical dragon lady? That's everything you need to know about the MCU right there - maybe just don't write the character in the most stereotypical way possible never even occurs at any point.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 29, 2020

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Neo Rasa posted:

S-tier:
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Captain America: First Avenger

A-tier:
Captain Marvel
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Spider-Man: Far from Home

B-tier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Black Panther
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Ant-Man

C-tier
Iron Man 3
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Dr Strange
Iron Man

Marvel Owes Me a Refund Tier:
Avengers
Iron Man 2

This is amazing. I've never seen a more correct post on the SA forums.

Cap: First Avenger is the only MCU movie i havent seen. I'm assuming its worth it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lechtansi posted:

Cap: First Avenger is the only MCU movie i havent seen. I'm assuming its worth it?

I would say it's B tier personally. It's fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lechtansi posted:

It's S-tier on my list as well. So yes, deffo worth it imo.

[edit] For reference:

teagone posted:

TOP TIER (MCU's best)

SSS rank
Winter Soldier

SS+ rank
Dr. Strange

SS rank
First Avenger

S+ rank
Iron Man Trilogy
The Incredible Hulk

S rank
GOTG
Thor 3

MID TIER (These are whatever)
Everything else

BOTTOM TIER (Dogshit)
Avengers 1 & 2
Ant-Man 2
GOTG 2
Thor 2
Far From Home

[edit] Added Far From Home to DOGSHIT TIER, and changed Top Tier numbering to "S" ranks.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 30, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lechtansi posted:

This is amazing. I've never seen a more correct post on the SA forums.

It's the only one that transcends being "an MCU movie". Made before things got too formulaic it's got its own distinct style, helped by being set in the past instead of 201X like all the others.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

S(hit) tier -
All of them

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Endgame is really when it all hits home (if it didn't before): these are films about nothing, they exist to put characters into situations so that they must fight one another and have fancy fireworks go off on the screen.

Some people like fireworks displays, that's fine, but they're never that interesting when you're watching them on a screen.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cap has that issue where the action setpieces aren't that good, but the first half in itself is the best Marvel movie. Similar to Ragnarok when its Taika doing his own thing also being the best Marvel movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ragnarok, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man and Spiderman are the only ones that really feel like comic books.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Ang Lee's Hulk too!

Edit: Raimi's spidermans

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
heh hey guys did did did anyone say

heh heh

watch good movies instead!?

heheheheeheh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OpenSourceBurger posted:

heh hey guys did did did anyone say

heh heh

watch good movies instead!?

heheheheeheh

I did.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's the only one that transcends being "an MCU movie". Made before things got too formulaic it's got its own distinct style, helped by being set in the past instead of 201X like all the others.

If possible, do you mind re-posting that MCU timeline of how every film gradually became consumed by Iron Man? It's so good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Not sure why people feel the need to shitpost here. The guy started a perfectly benign topic and people just had to be assholes about it, rather than just move on because it's about a movie series they don't care about.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

sean10mm posted:

Not sure why people feel the need to shitpost here. The guy started a perfectly benign topic and people just had to be assholes about it, rather than just move on because it's about a movie series they don't care about.

but but but its marvel haven't you heard its lovely?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sean10mm posted:

It seems like it branched into its own conversation like most things do. It didn't turn into shitposting until people popped in complaining about the much earlier shitposts in the thread.

ndor
Jan 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I think the derail was worth it. I watched Chappie because of it and it was great.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Darko posted:

It seems like it branched into its own conversation like most things do. It didn't turn into shitposting until people popped in complaining about the much earlier shitposts in the thread.

Pretty much the entire first page is people posturing about how much better they are than to watch MCU movies and is the reason most posters go out of their way to talk about movies anywhere besides the movie subforum in a nutshell

Like at least the digs in GBS would be at risk of being funny or even worth reading

Anyway James Woods, I'm glad you went with chronological order of production. Let her decide for herself what's good and bad and have a discussion, or not.

It'll be interesting to see what the reaction to that scene in Age of Ultron is. There's a lot of perplexing and flabbergasting scenes in that movie but I doubt I have to be more specific.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I tried watching part of a thor movie on tv. He spent half the film walking around in a hoodie and jeans I guess in disguise? but people were asking to take pictures with him so i guess they knew he was thor? None of it made nay sense but Anthony hopkins was there trying his best to pay for his new house or something also jeff goldblum was there for some reason i guess for irony. Anyway it was thoroughly terrible so I tuned it off.

ProperWhopper
Apr 16, 2020

banned from Starbucks posted:

I tried watching part of a thor movie on tv. He spent half the film walking around in a hoodie and jeans I guess in disguise? but people were asking to take pictures with him so i guess they knew he was thor? None of it made nay sense but Anthony hopkins was there trying his best to pay for his new house or something also jeff goldblum was there for some reason i guess for irony. Anyway it was thoroughly terrible so I tuned it off.
Cool tell us more

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Darko posted:

Literally the first reply to the OP was a zero effort shitpost my dude.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sean10mm posted:

They're technically not wrong. OP was also asking for suggestions, so of course you'll have goons "posturing" by ragging on the MCU, lmao. Same way you'd get goons "posturing" on how bad DCEU films are in a similar discussion. Watching all 22 MCU films over however many consecutive nights does seem like overkill now that the "Infinity Saga" is complete. You can watch 10-12 of them and the narrative thrust is just as effective imo. Roughly half of the films are kinda like filler episodes that you can skip and aren't really worth watching. Unless you're some ultra-diehard Marvel fan and absolutely need/want to ingest it all, but seems like that's not the case here for OP's girlfriend.

Binging MCU films also seems like it would amplify the flaws of franchise-driven filmmaking, e.g., like most of the MCU stories are basically the Iron Man origin told with different set dressing, the cookie-cutter application of Marvel's boilerplate "house style", and how tame the drama really is in relation to the lackluster/CG-laden action that's paraded around as cinematic spectacle.

[edit] I also don't think offering up alternative films to MCU movies is shitposting. Rude? Maybe, I guess, considering the topic lol.

[edit 2] Also OP edited these lines into the post, inviting/baiting goons to shitpost anyways so :shrug:

James Woods posted:

Feel free to poo poo up this thread with any horrible opinions you may have about comic books, Marvel, or why no matter how much you shake it you still get a little down your leg after taking a piss.

Edit Edit:

If possible please use your erudite wit to remind us that there are several movies more deserving of our time than MCU films despite them being the most expensive and expansive venture in cinema history.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 2, 2020

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ndor posted:

I think the derail was worth it. I watched Chappie because of it and it was great.

You're drat right you did.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

James Woods posted:

Edit Edit:

If possible please use your erudite wit to remind us that there are several movies more deserving of our time than MCU films despite them being the most expensive and expansive venture in cinema history.

Metropolis is still more impressive. :smugbert:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sean10mm posted:

The basic premise of the thread is that a lot of the movies suck - hence the need to curate them.

And, when you sincerely and thoughtfully begin that process, you immediately run into troubles. Because there isn't really a good, coherent series of films there.

As I noted in my post, the MCU films peak with Captain America 1, and basically stop being good at all after that point. That's why it's necessary to branch out into "unofficial" sequels like Chappie, Robocop 2014, and The Guest. You can also add films like Code 8 and Attraction into the mix (an X-Men movie done in the style of Chappie and an interesting Russian version of Thor, respectively).

On the other hand, if you are curating them in the sense of "which films are actually narratively relevant to Avengers Endgame and therefore a distillation of the MCU as a 'whole'?", then the answer is:

-Thor 1
-Guardians of the Galaxy 1
-Avengers 1-3.

...but those 5 films include several of the worst films in the series, and certainly none of the best.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
the obsessive use of Dutch angles in Thor 1 is probably the best thing in the entire MCU, it's definitely one of the only memorable things, so i disagree with that final statement

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
And why not poke fun/criticize this guy's imposed limits to just the semi official Disney studio mandated universe post-2008 or whenever the cut off is

Like at least ask why no X-Men or blade? if his SO is interested in SciFi superhero stuff that originated with marvel comics, those series outta be "essential", they're certainly no worse than the iron men!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm super curious how the MCU is gonna handle Blade, lol.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

This subforum is, at best, incredibly hostile towards Marvel movies. This is probably not the best place on the internet to discuss this subject, especially when places that actually have a semi-large number of Marvel fans exist, and I honestly assumed this was a troll thread at first for that reason and responded accordingly.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
agreed, especially as the word "curating" is in the title as if the MCU was the criterion collection

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sean10mm posted:

We're on page three and it had stopped in favor of more interesting side conversations is the point, until that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

teagone posted:

I'm super curious how the MCU is gonna handle Blade, lol.

Blade only fights vampires and it seems the rest of the Marvel Earth is COMPLETELY UNAWARE that they exist... Spider-Man has a vampire in Morpheus, are there others? I'm not too up to speed on every single character's bad guys.

Seeing as this is MCU chat and OP has said say whatever, as a casual comic book fan the Avengers films never hit the mark for me, the first 2 Thor films were rear end and I've skipped a lot of the others. GotG was fun, Ragnarok was definitely a change for the better for Thor, Homecoming was decent but tech pimp/surrogate daddy Stark felt like a bit of a poo poo angle. Oh yeah, speaking of. First Iron Man was solid, the second was asssssssssssss and the 3rd was weird because the main bad guys were people who were hot ...which is why it took Tony like 50 suits and Pepper to actually kill them all. I think as mentioned by a few others, Winter Soldier is definitely up there as one of the best of the whole lot.

MCU is certainly a land of contrasts.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

teagone posted:

I curated a list of MCU films around the time of Endgame's release that encompasses the narrative thrust of the 'Infinity Saga' into a condensed 10-film series.

The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Doctor Strange

Any MCU first timer can just watch those and not miss a beat. All the Infinity Stones are introduced, and most post-credits stingers directly lead into the next film on the list so there shouldn't be any confusion.
If I were showing a first timer, I would condense it down to these 11:

Iron Man, Thor, & Captain America (not my favorites but I consider the backstory essential
Avengers
Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Civil War
Doctor Strange
Thor 3
Blank Panther
Infinity War

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For all its faults, The Avengers does do a decent enough job introducing all the major players and plot elements present through the entirety of the Infinity Saga, rendering the first Iron Man/Thor/Cap movies unnecessary if you just want to experience the overarching story. The only exception I'd make to my curated list is adding in Thor as a "prologue" since it introduces the cosmic stuff right away and its post-credit stinger neatly leads directly into The Avengers, while also integrating itself into the Infinity Saga narrative with the tesseract tease.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
All the films introduce characters adequately. When they first appear onscreen, that’s their (re)introduction to the audience.

You don’t need to watch Winter Soldier just to find out who the wing guy is in Avengers 2. He’s exactly what he’s presented as: the sidekick who doesn’t really do anything except show that the Avengers have been hiring more people.

The entirety of Civil War is pretty much dismissed with a line about how the Avengers broke up ‘like a band.’

There’s frankly nothing - in any of the individual films - that you couldn’t figure out in a matter of seconds by just using your noggin. Like, the movies themselves say “oh, that guy’s just an alien” or “that guy’s a wizard. You’ll have to accept it.” That exposition exists to reassure the audience that they aren’t actually missing anything.

ProperWhopper
Apr 16, 2020

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

This subforum is, at best, incredibly hostile towards Marvel movies. This is probably not the best place on the internet to discuss this subject, especially when places that actually have a semi-large number of Marvel fans exist, and I honestly assumed this was a troll thread at first for that reason and responded accordingly.
I love how this sub forum is so obsessed with huffing it's own farts that daring to discuss incredibly popular mainstream movies on it is considered being a troll thread.

How dare this loving peon post a thread about movies on the movie subforum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ProperWhopper posted:

I love how this sub forum is so obsessed with huffing it's own farts that daring to discuss incredibly popular mainstream movies on it is considered being a troll thread.

How dare this loving peon post a thread about movies on the movie subforum

I’m glad that you’re standing up for the nerds against the shadowy and muscular intellectual elite, but the confusion over why this thread exists is largely due to the fact that the CD frontpage already has six or seven megathreads about “comic-book” franchises: Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Superman, Godzilla, etc.

There’s also a dedicated Comic Book Movie Megathread on top of that.

So why make a thread effectively asking which Iron Man movies suck the worst? We already know that it’s any given Avengers movie.