Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
heh hey guys did did did anyone say

heh heh

watch good movies instead!?

heheheheeheh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I think my major issue isn't people hating on the MCU, whatever it's cool people like what they like and dislike what they dislike, it's just this subforum seems to revel in being nasty, smug, and holier than thou over everything. Like aside from the horror movie megathread it just seems like there's no actual enjoyment of film, just a desperate race to be the most witty and mean person here.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Blood Boils posted:

That's the case the forums over. I find goons often freak out over a 'tone' that is sometimes completely unintended/not even present, as well as carry a grudge, so whatcha gonna do?

Not share your take on Yoda or Batman because someone out there will accuse you of being arrogant for not agreeing with a take you think isn't as solid?

:justpost: a forum's discourse is only as good as it's participants posts, lurking until it reaches a 'better' place means waiting forever. Join in, and relax!

While I agree you also have to look at poo poo that happened in this thread. The OP is considered a troll because they asked a simple question about MCU movies, someone defending them is on the Disney payroll because the signed up in April, the same 3 jokes (LOL MAYBE WATCH 22 GOOD MOVIES LMAO) are driven into the ground and then finally people are told to go to a completely dead subforum that was made for discussing 'lesser' films instead of cluttering up CD with this stuff.

There's a massive difference in earnestly giving new ideas and film recommendations that you think are better than more popular ones and acticly mocking and insulting people for having differing tastes that may be not as sophisticated as you.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Pirate Jet posted:

Once again: Blockbuster Video is not a “lesser” subforum about “lesser” films. It was made specifically on the request of people who took issue with the tone and atmosphere of CineD. Blockbuster Video was the attempted solution at something many goons said was a problem, and any inactivity in the forum comes from a forums-wide lack of interest in the subforum, not out of any sense of shaming.

I don’t condone the snippy posts made in this thread in the first few pages. I tried to help OP out even despite the fact that I greatly dislike the MCU, and even they acknowledged in the OP itself that they may not actually be able to skip any MCU movies. Posts like “watch good movies instead” are actively shutting down discussion, but also so are posts that claim entire arguments are invalid and won’t be entertained and just cursing out other members, and frankly it’s ridiculous it’s been allowed to go on this long.

I just think maybe there should be an effort to not alienate people. We shouldn't have to have a secondary subforum because the culture here can be so loving toxic that threads on certain topics get shitposted into oblivion and then turned to totally different topics because people don't respect or approve of the films in discussion.

This subforum is literally 85% megathreads with one or two movie discussion posts or threads on interesting topics. Let's be real here, this place is dying and maybe treating people like they are loving idiots if they wanna talk about MCU or other popcorn dumb movies and threadshitting their posts isn't the best idea.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I am the End-Boss of this thread.

In order to defeat me, you must curate the MCU for me. You must curate these films as though I am a first-time viewer. I expect a solid rationale.

You have one day to stop the complaint, and save your planet from death.

Holy poo poo will you please shut the gently caress up. If you're going to constantly Kramer your way into threads and desperately attempt to be the center of attention could you PLEASE actually be funny or actually interesting?

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Pirate Jet posted:

The complaint being lodged at CineD is a level of toxicity, and I’ll again state that I don’t think the shitposts in the first pages of this thread are okay - but if Blockbuster Video was specifically made as an experiment to create a less serious version of CineD, and died nearly immediately, I view that as evidence of how sustainable a non-serious film discussion forum actually is on SA. It’s true that some people aren’t interested in film discussion that involves more in-depth analysis on shot composition and editing or quoting any philosophers, but also some definitely are, and if we already have a solution for that, I’m not sure how much further we need to go.

Toxic posters should be reprimanded, but that cuts both ways - both people who enter a thread about a small entertainment project someone is doing with a loved one just to dismiss the idea, and also people who want to shut down any more serious discussion of film and/or only engage in flamewars. CineD regulars have seen a lot of the latter over the years and it conditions them to become the former. It’s not an excuse, just an explanation.

Again, the serious discussion is 100% fine. I don't think anyone here is saying that the issue is over-serious discussion of films. The issue is the shitposting of threads that certain posters see as 'beneath them' and how that quickly snowballs into the thread being totally overtaken by people mocking the topic or ignoring the topic altogether.

I think we are on the same page here but I think we are cross ways because I guess I don't see the prevalence of people trying to shut down interesting topics of discussion whereas I see stuff like what happened in this thread happen more often. Both are bad clearly, we agree there, but I just think one issue is more of a problem in terms of prevalence over the other.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
okay ill bite please give us the multi paragraph long tortured explanation about how, aside from Captain America, that random assortment of films is part of the MCU so we can all pretend to get it and then the rest of the thread is everyone clapping and jerking off about the hilarious and thoughtful discussion about how Robocop 2014 is really the best mcu movie because get it guys it's not because the mcu sucks

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Robocop 2014 is a superhero film about drone warfare modelled after (and satirical of) the Iron Man films.

its not part of the mcu

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

It is now. It is part of the exhibition I’ve curated.

cool this was good thank you this was fun and informative

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

You are behaving oddly. Consequently, you are failing to curate the MCU for a first time viewer.

I have managed to accomplish that incredible feat. Will none dare challenge me?

So can someone explain where the interesting discussion is here? Like I know SMG is the mascot of this place and all but where is the interesting conversation and discussion that's been talked about here? Like, is the joke that he's pretending to be the final boss of a movie subforum of an old message board? Is it a gimmick account?

Again, interesting discussions and recommendations are great and a part of why these forums were and still are great, but this is just loving cringe and annoying and somehow no one calls it out because wowzers, thats just SMG being SMG!

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

The joke is that you are unwilling or unable to curate the MCU for a first time viewer, even though your life may depend on it.

A comet is hurtling towards you, and you are writing out sex fantasies.

This is the fifth time for the exact same joke, we loving get it. We get the joke. You have smashed it into the ground with the force of a comet. You're curating the MCU, we get it holy poo poo we get it.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Really looking forward to when the mega threads get sent to GBS and this place slowly phases out of existence. Holy gently caress what a miserable place.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

sean10mm posted:

This place is actually great whenever it's not about mainstream pop culture nerd poo poo like Marvel vs DC comic book movies and Star Wars.

Like I never noticed anyone posting like a dildo in the Z-Fest threads or whatever.

I'm more annoyed that SMG gets to act like the most obnoxious parody of a film lover and take over threads because he's the funny mascot of CD and consistently post the most annoying, unfunny, pointless drivel and everyone still pretends the emperor has clothes and the guy explaining in detail that Captain America is totally a rapist is actually a really good and fascinating film theorist.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

KVeezy3 posted:

What's incoherent about it? People have been complaining how this thread was ruined by CineD's infamously bad discourse, but no one actually cares enough to contribute to the thread's topic they're so concerned about.

Who loving wants to try to have a conversation when it's gonna be drowned out by the same white noise bullshit fly by posts of LOL CURATE THE MCU GUYS LOL ROBOCOP 2014 LOL MCU CURATE SAVE THE WORLD CURATE THE MCU LOL that have been made by SMG for 2 loving pages straight. This isn't a bunch of neaderthal morons who shreik at the idea of film discourse, it's people tired of the weird cliquey jerk off club this place can be a lot of the time when you wander out of the mega threads.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

KVeezy3 posted:

I'm not insulting anybody. People did discuss and post MCU watch lists, but how much further should the thread have gone in that vein? It’s not exactly ripe for pages of discussion.

Some posters have also indicated they proceeded to watch and enjoy some of the movies on SMG’s list, so I’m not sure that all the hand-wringing and insults are necessary.

Okay dude you win. I'm just gonna stick to the mega threads and hope the move to GBS happens soon enough.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Diagnosing a person’s mental health over the Internet in order to ‘own’ them is extremely rude.

Once again, multiple people have had no trouble understanding the ostensibly incomprehensible post.

The Apocalyptic Thread Ultimatum was, at its core, a call for those complaining about anti-Disney bias in the movie subforum to ‘put their money where their mouth is’ and simply talk about movies they like.

For fun, I presented this as a videogame scenario: are they bad enough dudes to simply post want they to post, instead of tirelessly insisting that they are being censored?

The answer was no. In 24 hours, nobody mustered the gumption to write a simple list of movies they liked. I had even expressly stated that doing so would constitute a victory over me - the catastrophic Enemy, the ultimate killing machine.

What this reveals is that these people are being deceitful. Their goal is to shut down discussion and silence even minor dissent (e.g. Chappie). It’s cop mentality.

Now their planets are dead, and the thread is mine.

Jesus christ this is embarrassing.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
For all it's failures I still enjoy Age of Ultron if only because I really enjoy Spader's work as Ultron. I think he hits a great mix of both being dryly humorous as well as very threatening.

It doesn't forgive it's many issues but I still won't agree it's worse than The Dark World. At least Ultron is an interesting and fun villain, Maleketh just seems like a wet fart and it's doubly bad when you consider his comic counterpart is one of Thor's best villains. Like, it's not even close to the same character.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

KVeezy3 posted:

The tragic part is that there's obviously something there in Ultron that was stripped away in favor of generic super-villainy.

Yeah, I think the failure was that they removed the comic's underlying arc of Ultron basically being a really kid who hates his dad but also wants to impress him. Ultron was, to me, always most interesting/scary when the mask of the emotionless robot monster slips and he shows he loving hates/loves his creator. That's infinitly more disturbing than the movie's 'To save the world I must kill all humans' arc.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

KVeezy3 posted:

I don't know any of the comic-book lore, but it sounds like they transferred that Father/Son relationship to Stark/Ultron right?

Yeah. Hank Pym created him in the comics and one of the defining arcs of his character has been the fact that his creation has murdered tens of thousands of people and his deep feelings of guilt and self hatred over it.

The movie kinda makes it out to be kind of a joke but in the comics Ultron is a loving nightmare because at one moment he's trying to murder all life on earth and then he's doing insane poo poo like going full on Oedipus and building a robot wife and forcing Pym into putting HIS wife's consciousness into it.

Again I really like Spader's more Stark like portrayal of Ultron but I think you lose a lot of the menace and creepiness that Ultron could have had but making him joke around a bit too much.

OpenSourceBurger fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 11, 2020

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Papercut posted:

Spader's Ultron was a really cool, threatening villain presence... until they gave him a physical embodiment. I don't know what form he takes in the comics, but in the movie he goes from this invisible presence that could be in anything electronic to a generic boring robot villain. It felt extremely anticlimactic

He has a similar appearance in the comics, but there are two main differences, rather than having a mouth that moves in a human like fashion he instead has this creepy gaping maw. He also nearly consantly constantly spews energy from his mouth/eyes. It would have been really tough to work that into a movie but I think it's a more lifeless disturbing look than the more human-like thing we got.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Could you guys explain your ~wacky~ lists of random movies or is the joke that it's funny because they are not MCU movies but I'm saying they are

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Like we're not even listing good movies as replacements anymore, it's just randomly listing movies and then giggling that they have a special meaning as ~MCU films~. If you're doing that at least put in the work to explain why you chose the movies, why you think they work, why you like them loving anything.

It's not funny, it's not insightful, it's just pointless white noise bullshit.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

teagone posted:

One "not-so-obvious" thing in my recently generated list is that they're all movies I truly enjoy more than the majority of MCU movies, save for maybe a few of my top tier MCU picks (which I have listed earlier in this thread). I realize that kind of subjectivity isn't easily discerned through listed movie titles and their release years, so I apologize that my lack of explanation made you understandably upset.

Then is the thread now just posting movies you like in some random order and then tiering them off in Phases to make them MCU related? If we're going to go the realm of ignoring the actual MCU films then at least pick movies that correspond to their MCU counterparts in theme or some other interesting way.

I think what bothers me is not that the poor lil MCU is being mistreated but that nothing is being given to replace it in any way other than "Hey dork here's some better movies in a random order, watch better media" which just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have no issue with providing other options that you think a person may enjoy more, but the lack of interest in actually providing reasoning and discussion and instead taking a dump on the thread's concept, starting the same boring clubhouse mentality that CD generally has, and just the general lovely attitude this thread and a lot of threads in CD devolves into.

It's just tiring and lame.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

teagone posted:

No. I said that's one of the things about the list. I'll do an effort post later that'll detail the connections/pattern since I'm assuming you won't bother to figure it out yourself for reasons. It's pretty shallow/obvious really, but I'll write it up in a bit anyways :3:

...why in the world should other people have to bother to figure out the logic of a list of movies you posted?

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

teagone posted:

The similarities between the films—particularly between the two leads—are uncanny. And both films coming to blows through political alignments on social media—as depressing/upsetting as that was—made for an interesting point of discussion because it reveals a lot about how each film's release was marketed and handled.

[edit] Going back and reading a few posts several pages back, I've noticed that—for all their complaining and whining—neither OpenSourceBurger or Sodomy Hussein (ugh) have contributed a curated list of MCU films or related films to the thread. Just felt that was interesting to note.

I literally spent most of last page discussion Age of Ultron and other MCU films and their issues with villains, so please gently caress off and actually read the thread before huffily trying some backhanded burn.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

sean10mm posted:

"Now that we've run off the person who started the topic, why don't you stay on topic?" is definitely A Take :laffo:

e: But sure why not.

1) Show them Guardians of the Galaxy.

2) If they like that start watching the following:

Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther

3) If they haven't bailed by the end of that list they might want to watch Infinity War/Endgame. Honestly I found them just kind of exhausting though.

My hot take is that GoTG is basically what the MCU has been going for all along, it involves characters that had no real prior setup so it doesn't meaningfully rely on any previous MCU film, it explains infinity stones and Thanos and most of the other cosmic stuff that "pays off" (depending on what you think of the last two Avengers films) at the end.

I'm really surprised you didn't go whole hog and slide Cap 3 in there as well. I think it's a really move if you slide it between Ragnarok and BP as it introduces BP and gives a better explanation/continuation for Bucky's story.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I'd also argue it's a good way to transition into the massive battles full of characters that we eventually get in Infinity War and Endgame from the more single team/character focused events that precede it.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
The film will always be superior to the comic version of Civil War if only because there's not a scene where someone tells Captain America he isn't a real american because he doesn't watch NASCAR or have a MySpace account

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

teagone posted:

Oh boy oh boy, but how epic was that fight on the airport tarmac! Remember when Spider-Man made a joke about Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back?!

this but unironically tbh

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
All those things own though.

I think I'll give IW and Endgame a rewatch, it's been a while.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I mean Tony also is dealing with nearly causing the death of all life on Earth because he went too far in trying to make a weapon for world peace in Age of Ultron.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
The MCU films have obvious issues in storytelling but there really is an issue of people snorting and ignoring the basic character development and story arcs because they don't think they exist/don't wan to bother.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

teagone posted:

Tony is at the pinnacle of his own hubris when he's so eager to do the snap himself in Endgame imo.

To stop the guy who killed half the population of the universe?

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Cap had also told Tony right to his face that he never had the spine to make a play that would end up with him sacrificing himself. Tony's journey since Avengers 1 has been of fear and attempts to stave off his own demise through things like Ultron. Tony sacrificing himself after he had lived a life he always wanted and leaving it behind to make a play to stop Thanos caps off his narrative journey since Avengers and arguable since Iron Man 1.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
So you're saying a guy tackling a gunman and dying to save others is selfish if he had a family? What?

teagone posted:

Tony was ready to make the sacrifice play at the end of The Avengers by lobbing the nuke into space himself when no one else could; he went into the portal knowing full well that could mean his death. That moment, admittedly, was good! But he completed that character arc already.

Except for two major elements.

1. After Avengers he's traumatized and has severe PTSD over this issue as well as the fact that he only prolonged the inevitable. Had he died he would have only stalled an even worse invasion coming later. He's hosed up beyond words by that and Iron Man 3 shows him turning to drinking to handle it.

2. He's been given the life he always. This isn't Tony dying to save Pepper after being a miserable gently caress for most of his life, this is Tony having sampled fatherhood and a life with people who love him making that play, sacrificing so much more in his eyes and in the eyes of the viewer.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

teagone posted:

That's... not what I said. I'm arguing that Cap should've been the one to die because it makes way more sense from a writing standpoint to me.

Except Cap couldn't do it in time. Your arguing something from a writing standpoint and your argument that Tony is selfish is because Cap should have ben written in a way to do it.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

teagone posted:

Yes, I'm arguing that the result of writing it so that it could only be Stark who could snap the gauntlet ends up being a regression of the growth his character has experienced over however many films prior . And that to me, it makes more sense to write it in a way where Cap would, as in the beginning, be always willing to make the sacrifice play, even at the end. Cap snapping the gauntlet would've simply been emblematic of his uncompromising resolve.

Then how the hell is Tony selfish? If you admit Tony is literally the only character WHO WAS WRITTEN IN SUCH A WAY to be able to stop Thanos, then how on earth is stopping Thanos from vaporizing half of existence, including Tony's wife and daughter, selfish?

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I legitimately cannot begin to comprehend this argument. He loving dies to save trillions of beings including his wife and child and somehow that's selfish and narcassitic. Like, I'm seriously struggling to understand this.

Tony having a family makes the decision MORE heroic. It's simple to die when you have nothing to live for and don't truly value your life, it's a million times harder and more powerful to have so much to live for but instead give all of it up to save others.

Do you think his daughter was tossed into an orphanage or something?

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

teagone posted:

Because he didn't have to sacrifice himself. That's the point I'm making wrt to poor writing.

No. But I fail to see how her being well off is relevant to her now being fatherless.

I...you...you literally just loving said the writing made it so he was the only one to do so. How does, in your opinion, bad writing putting him in a position to be the one to stop Thanos proof of HIS selfishness. This is the most insane argument I've ever seen. You are literally arguing that it's the characters fault the writing was poor and put him in a position to sacrifice himself. That's utter madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

teagone posted:

I just don't think you're understanding what I'm trying to say here to be honest, but that might be my fault for not articulating my point across well enough so that it's easily digestible. I feel like my argument is sound, but I understand that not everyone will agree with it, especially Iron Man fans probably. Here are the basic points again, just to be clear again: Writing it in a way so that it has to be Stark to snap the gauntlet because Doctor Strange said so I feel weakens the drama behind the sacrifice a bit. But that's not my major complaint. Writing it in a way so that it has to be Stark to snap the gauntlet ends up going against the character development Stark experienced in previous films is what I have issues with. Those are the simplest terms I can put my thoughts in.

But again, HOW DOES THAT MAKE HIM SELFISH? He is literally the only one, AS IT IS CURRENTLY WRITTEN, who could stop all of existence including his child from vaporizing and HE GIVES HIS LIFE to stop it. Like....it would be more character appropriate had he poo poo himself and let all life die because "My kid needs a dad!"

OpenSourceBurger fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 12, 2020