Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

merk posted:

Tell Cidrick I got him a job (six years or more ago) so he owes me participation in a game.

This is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Jesus, thinking back, that was 2010 when you got me that job. It's been ten stupid years since I started playing Mafia.

Voodoofly posted:

gently caress YES!!!!

Hi man! I haven't played Mafia in..... a long time, so I promise I'll suck very badly for all of you.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

wins32767 posted:

Did someone invite Chili yet?

Chili posted:

Yeah ok. Where the gently caress is dhaes? Can we get a dhaes?

Well, hi there gang. This game of Mafia is already giving me happy nostalgic feels.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

CCKeane posted:

...heart.

...heart, right here...

...mills? Is that you?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Chili posted:

I picked the most sentimental choice possible.

Me too, I clearly picked 6,9

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

CCKeane posted:

Guaranteeing you're not vanilla, clever.

Mmmhmm, I see you trying to draw out a claim. You're in luck, because - fingers crossed - BOOGERCOP is nine letters.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Highwire posted:

I heard rumour that the smartest detectives on the internet were getting together to argue again.

dy. posted:

OK I'll do it

sc4rs posted:

Have fun you kids. :munch:

Dhaes posted:

It looks like I was sent this link too late - have fun my dudes! :sharpton::pipe:

drat, the band really is getting back together.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Way to confirm Highwire as your scum partner there

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
And the booger cop easily slides into the second round. I'll be up in everyone's nasal cavities before you all know it.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

merk posted:

The secret roles were:
1. White Mage; and
2. Voodoofly.

One of these secret roles was selected. One was not.

Gee, I wonder who picked what. Time to force a claim!

##vote Voodoofly

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
I have no deadline preference because I'm going to be sitting on my patio all weekend smoking various pork and beef products.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Voodoofly posted:

If only you had voted this quickly in all those need for speed games we would have won a few together.

I have only a vague memory of the need for speed games. Those were the ones where daytime lasted like 20 minutes or something?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Voodoofly posted:

We didn’t do too well in then from what I remember.

The format doesn't really lend itself well to town doing well.

b-minus1 posted:

I'm already getting some scum pings from a few people

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

b-minus1 posted:

Its working

You're not wrong.

##vote Chili

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

dy. posted:

What are you smoking? I demand pics. I'm going to pay a visit to the butcher today to see what looks good, hoping for some decent short ribs or pork belly.

Pork shoulder, and also pork belly if I can find any, because the gap in quality between homemade bacon and the stuff you can buy in the supermarket is wider than anything else I've made so far. I haven't done a brisket yet because I'm too chicken to leave the smoker going overnight, but maybe it's finally time.

This is the last pork belly I smoked before carving it up into bacon.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

dy. posted:

Oracle and vig seem like slam dunks - oracle especially seems to have very limited town use.

Why would Oracle be a slam dunk? Just to prevent the town from getting it?

I feel like there would almost be more value for the scum to pick the more powerful town-based roles, rather than picking roles that would be beneficial to them. Doctor and cop both seem like high priority picks for the scum team for that reason alone.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

dy. posted:

It seems kind of useless to the town. The town having the ability to prevent the lynch of a specific person isn't really useful. It would be suuuuper useful to the scum as it allows them direct protection from the town's major power, and could be straight-up game winning in the endgame.

That makes sense on one level, but unless it happened at the endgame, you'd be left with the scum oracle and the saved-but-still-scum lynch target trying to explain away why they protected who they did.

Although after thinking about it for a minute, I guess I was sort of assuming that a protected lynch target would still flip to reveal alignment. I've never played in a game with an Oracle before, so I'm not sure if it would actually play out like that.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Dhaes posted:

couldn't they oracle themselves to prevent a mislynch?

I think an oracle protecting itself would be a pretty anti-town move in a lot of cases. The context would definitely be important, and I'm not actually sure if an oracle-saved lynching displays the flip or not (see above), but if it doesn't show the flip, robbing the town of the information provided by the alignment flip from a successful lynching seems like an incredibly scummy move.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

dy. posted:

A townie? This would be like, good for the individual but bad for the town.

This guy gets it.

dy. posted:

You flip when you're dead, so if the lunch doesn't go through, you don't flip.

If the lunch isn't going through, you might need more fiber in your diet.

Also, in the interest of game theory discussion: how much of a lightning rod is Highwire going to be for night actions on night 1? I'm curious if there's historical precedent for what happens to whomever places first in a game with a role draft.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Chili posted:

Well he is a high wire after all.

I'd double-vote you for this if I could.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

wins32767 posted:

I have never seen setup spec on Day 1 help the town. Why are we spending pages on it?

It provides more meaningful discussion to drag the game out of the jokevote phase. It helps the town, albeit indirectly.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Chili posted:

I've noticed that making some bold alignment calls early generally allows me to appear townie. Regardless of my alignment it's generally helpful to do. Thanks for asking!

This is so flagrant that I can't tell if it's genuinely scummy or just baiting.

Good thing I'm already voting for you, so we'll find out soon :buddy:

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
We have under a day left by my math and I will probably be on a bike around the deadline. I'd feel a lot less anxious if we started moving toward a consensus.

I would vote for:

- Chili for white noise musings that feels like he's trying to hide in plain sight
- Spoonsy for an opportunistic vote on b-1 for what is clearly a jokepost with feeble meta rationale
- Pander or Jamuraan for not posting

I would not vote for:

- Voodoofly because I don't know who else would have picked the Voodoofly role and also I want to keep playing with Voodoofly
- Highwire due to the high likelihood of us learning a lot from night actions around him tonight
- dy because he seems to be legit trying to generate conversation, which is good for us

I could be convinced about anyone else not in this list.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Jamuraan posted:

I'm just really bad at posting, not scum =]

Convince me.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Jamuraan posted:

I'll gladly expound on any of these reads.

##vote wins32767

You should probably start with expounding on this one.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
I just took a break from biking and I haven't really caught up other than I guess voodoo vigged Spoonsy?

If we only have a half hour left I'm good voting Pander or Chili still

##vote Chili

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Doing this from a phone is a pain in the rear end but I guess it's my own fault

Better than no lynching at any rate

##vote Jamuraan

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
I'm home and still catching up, but:

Voodoo what the gently caress, why would you reset votes so close to the deadline AND vig the vote leader? It's not like you didn't know that using your power would reset the votes, because the power explicitly says that's the case. It's like you were hopping up and down for the chance to use your power on who you wanted to die, and not on who the actual lurker was.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Apparently you covered this but

Voodoofly posted:

Oh poor spring child, if you think I wasn't salivating at the mouth to kill a lurker regardless of my alignment then, well, I'll show you the true path over the next however many games we hopefully play together.

You didn't kill _a_ lurker. You killed a specific lurker by goading the other leading lurker into posting. Why would you give a poo poo either way? And why would you knowing reset the vote count with three hours and change to deadline? Maybe even less time than that, since it seems there was a possibility that you thought it was even closer to the deadline than it actually was because of the 10:00AM comment.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Cidrick posted:

And why would you knowing reset the vote count with three hours and change to deadline?

Mafia edit: my profile still thought I was in pacific time. So yeah with either under a half an hour or under an hour and a half left, you chose to reset the vote count.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Pander posted:

I explained to my wife how people pissed I wasn't around for 90% of the day and then I end up horsewhipping everyone into voting someone.

and that if jammy isn't scum I am so hosed tomorrow.

I'm going to stop beating around the bush here, and call you and Voodoo scum buddies. Based on how this all played out, it REALLY looks like Voodoo publicly berated his scum buddy into posting so that he could vig someone he knew was town, and try to force a no-lynch by doing it so close to the deadline to give the scum team a numbers edge early on in the game. Plus, you led the panic-vote at the last second on a thin case against Jam when there were no clear candidates because the leading one was vigged.

We have a lot to potentially to learn from night actions tonight, but we're not in twilight, so gently caress it, I'm putting my money where my mouth is

##vote Voodoofly

Sorry buddy. I'll happily vote Pander today if the votes move that way instead.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Voodoofly posted:

CID i didn’t know it would reset until this morning. My role pm didn’t say that. By the time I knew it would cause a reset pander pander was

And you did it anyway?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

CCKeane posted:

Bold move.

Join me. Or on Pander. Both are good options!

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Voodoofly posted:

Yes. I already covered this. I justified it as spoonsy probably going to be a lunch candidate anyway. Hell he might have been vote leader when I did it.

He absolutely was the vote leader. Votefinder listed him as the lead candidate with 4 votes in the post directly before your vig. Sorry, I just don't buy your rationale at all.

I'm sorry that you had to be scum in our first game back together, but it had to happen to someone :clint:

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Voodoofly posted:

Why on earth would I not want to use the kill on someone I had called scummy already, who wasn’t posting, and who was likely a lunch? It gave us to lunches today. We missed on both. I would have preferred chili as the other one but not enough people agreed?

You spent the better part of a day jumping up and down trying to get Pander to post instead of just using your lurker kill on Pander, and letting Spoonsy get lynched. Spoonsy wasn't the vote leader yet, but he seemed to be well on his way to being lynched for lurking. We still would have gotten two flips and more time to process the flip without having to deal with the last minute no-lynch situation.

Voodoofly posted:

Two lunches not to lunches

Phone posting is a bitch.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

CCKeane posted:

I'm consulting my lawyer because this post made my eyes roll out of my head so hard that they fell out, the world's first mafia related injury.

Smells like a deflection to me, folks.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

CCKeane posted:

Who said that!

The ghost of good rationale

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

dy. posted:

Killing a townie and forcing a no-lynch isn't really worth a big gambit: the scum were already well on their way to getting a townie (Spoonsy) lunched without the need for a big gambit. That would have numerically put them in the position that you're proposing without the risk of the gavel.

You don't think it was worth it? We're behind two townies - likely three, once night actions are all said and done - which put the scum at a big numerical advantage going into day 2. Pander and Voodoo both look kind of bad as a result, but perhaps they figured they could talk their way out of it...

dy. posted:

The way Voodoo played it, immediately on Day 1, and before anyone really has the chance to even be a lurker, doesn't make a lot of sense.

...and thinking about it some more, I think this is the reason why they tried the gambit out. By using his power so early, Voodoo can lean hard on his disdain for lurkers to excuse his actions, even going on what appears to be a late night posting binge about it. By playing up this fake rationale to vig the lurker that he wanted to die, he's trying to dismiss his actions as sloppy, and also leaning against a misunderstanding about his role's mechanics to further cloud his real motivation.

I'm not buying that it's just sloppy town play.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Dhaes posted:

tell me why he would badger pander in the thread instead of the scumdoc or whatever they are using

Yeah... I honestly don't have a good answer to this, short of "for funsies" or "the scum aren't communicating at all".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
##unvote

I thought about it some more last night, and I think Dhaes's assertion about Voodoo and Pander not being scumbuddies makes more sense. It gets Voodoo off the hook but not necessarily Pander.

dy. posted:

I mean statistically, probably, but what is your line of thinking here?

I would also like to know this, because lumping together almost half of the remaining players into a bucket and saying "ONE OF THESE PEOPLE IS SCUM" is a fairly useless assertion.