Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How the hell did TeamPlasma build a gently caress off Castle entirely underground, then devise a way for it to burst through the surface

thats completely ludicrous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
They used Pokemon?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Klinklang should get High Horsepower now. That's... Kind of like something gears do.

And yeah seconded about this being a great finale for a game with a good story. And Ghetsis being an rear end.

I think N should be aligned with Ideals because then, at the end of the game, he can re-evaluate what his ideals are because they were based largely on lies from Ghetsis, which Truth is more directly opposed to.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Ghestis is the biggest monster in the entire series full stop. He intentionally raised N with emotional abuse and manipulation in order to use him as a figurehead for his evil plans. And then you get to his boss fight where he takes his custom built to destroy N team to destroy you with the only boss mon more infamous than Cynthia's Garchomp or that loving Miltank.

To say nothing of his appearance in US/UM...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Pretty sure he was intending to kill the MC, too.

Also Ribombee is cool and my friend.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Dragon as a type was completely and utterly out of control in this generation. Haxorus and Hydreigon just utterly dominated. It's no wonder Fairy got created to reign that type in to the point where it's just a normal typing now instead of "this is where we stuff all the powerful Pokemon." I remember just how much of a clusterfuck Gen 5 competitive was. So many dragons, so much weather. Dear god the weather wars.

I liked the finale. It wasn't completely steady but it did a lot of neat things and broke away from the norms of Pokemon at the time and really stood out. I mean the champion isn't the final boss for once? And Ghetsis was certainly an opponent to cap things off.

And then XY returned to the status quo. RIP.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Gen V was just a weird competitive generation overall thanks to the sudden influx of potent Hidden Abilities and the advent of the Weather Wars. Dragon as a type went completely off, but it wasn't even any of the new dragons that did it. It was-

1) The Buffing of Outrage- Outrage was... a pretty mediocre Thrash clone when it was introduced. Then Gen V gave it a base power of 120. Whew boy.

2) Magnet Pull Magnezone catching on- It saw some use when Gen 4 was live, but Gen 5 Sand and Rain teams were the first to really start to use it on more then Balance teams to catch and punish problematic Steel types like Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

3) Multiscale Dragonite- Multiscale single-handedly let Dragonite come in, get a turn of setup (usually Dragon Dance) then threaten to plow through an entire team once the Steels were gone. If this thing came in on something that didn't have a status move, little short of Specs Blizzard from some of the strongest special attackers could actually kill it in one shot and then it would absolutely threaten to outspeed and kill your entire team. With Outrage, Extremespeed, and a Coverage move of choice (usually Fire Punch if not paired with Magnezone. If Magnezone got to do it's job usually something MUCH scarier) it would usually take prediction and luck to not outright die to it...

... and then people started figuring out that if you ran OTHER dragons, folks would be forced to feed their steels to them to get worn down first, letting them act as lures for Magnezone or just threatening bait while letting Dragonite not risk breaking Multiscale. And thus Dragon Meta was born.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Apparently Nintendo agrees that N represents Ideals more than Truth, given that he gets Zekrom in Pokemon Masters.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BlazeEmblem posted:

Apparently Nintendo agrees that N represents Ideals more than Truth, given that he gets Zekrom in Pokemon Masters.

That kind of flip-flops. Gotcha! had him with Reshiram and Hilbert/Touya with Zekrom.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

That kind of flip-flops. Gotcha! had him with Reshiram and Hilbert/Touya with Zekrom.

The anime also put Reshiram with N and Ash with Zekrom (...sort of). Generations also gave him Reshiram.
Honestly I think N keeps getting put with Reshiram just because they have similar aesthetics.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Blaziken386 posted:

Hydreigon is terrifying in this game

Two generations later, and it cowers in fear when you send one of these out onto the field

:allears:

I love the fact that in a team of giant cool-rear end monsters, the dainty fairy bug was the most powerful engine of death in my Ultra Sun team.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

rannum posted:

The anime also put Reshiram with N and Ash with Zekrom (...sort of). Generations also gave him Reshiram.
Honestly I think N keeps getting put with Reshiram just because they have similar aesthetics.

Yeah the white feathery one is definitely more his style visually.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 24: Please Stop Kicking My rear end

Nuvema Town

It's postgame time again, after a crazy adventure we're back home with another Trainer Card star under our belt. There's only two left to get, you can probably guess what, but they sure won't be easy!

...Mom what did you do while I was away?

Amazing, absolutely, meeting these two Pokemon of legend!

Ah, ah, this is...

Oh! I still wear my disguise! Pardon! Or, rather, let me introduce myself.

:siren: He's Back Motherfuckers! :siren:

My name... ah, no, I shall inform you of my code name only. My code name, it is Looker. It is how I am called! Behind the scenes in this region of Unova, an organization called Team Plasma conspires... this I have heard, and therefore, to this region I must come, but...

And the members, they have gone upon their separate ways! This is what I hear, most certainly! But, however! However, but... the ones known as the Seven Sages--still they hide themselves in the Unova region. And so, in the end, it explains why I must ask this of you, Trainer of amazing skill! Travel the Unova region and search it up and search it down for the Seven Sages! Alder, the Champion of renown, recommended you to my notice.

Do it yourself you drat dirty cop.

Ah, ah! Yet once more shall I ask! If you please, travel the Unova region and search it low and high for these Seven Sages!

Well, okay, since it's you, a lot has happened since my Plat LP for me to be on edge.

Excellent! I thank you! Now I feel as if I have perhaps a million people on my side. Permit me to give you this into your hands!

...that's a Super Rod, right?

Yes, correct! It is certainly a Super Rod!

Weren't we talking about Team Plasma's Seven Sages? What does this have to do with looking for those people?

I see... it is truly Touya's mama to ask so! What a magnificent question! I admire it! It is my pleasure to answer. Absolutely nothing!

I see...

Yes, I shall provide the explanation of this, the Super Rod! First! Face the water and employ the rod! Second! Concentrate your focal point! When it occurs that these Pokemon bite, "!" will indicate. Immediately, reel in! For the rest, Touya, I depend upon you!

Nuvema Town

Well, no worries. I think you should just do what you want to do. You're practically a grown-up now!

By the time I went to get the Striaton Gym Leaders, everything was over...

If that's the case... I let Ghetsis escape when the Shadow Triad created an opening.

...Ghetsis? The Shadow Triad?

I'll tell you later what happened in the castle. It's more important to ask what you plan to do now, Bianca.

You know what? You know what! I'm gonna go to White Forest!

That's the city on the other side of Route 16 when you leave from Nimbasa City. Hmm. If you go that way, you might be able to meet all sorts of Pokemon you've never seen before.

I see you're all here! Just a moment ago, I got some National Pokedex data from an acquaintance. Since you're here, let's upgrade your Pokedex with the National Pokedex data. I'm sure you'll be visiting a wider range of places. Naturally, that means you'll be encountering more Pokemon. Let me see your Pokedex for a sec! There you go, Bianca! Next up is Cheren! And last, but not least...

You can now switch your Pokedexes to the National Mode Pokedex. Completing the National Pokedex will surely be a big challenge. So, take your time, enjoy yourselves, and meet lots of Pokemon.

It looks like there are tons of Pokemon I don't know yet! Oh! Ooh! I want to show Mom and Dad my Pokedex! I gotta go! Let's meet again somewhere, OK?!

Huh. Bianca's as impetuous as ever, no matter what is going on. I think I'll travel all the way around Unova, starting at Route 1 again. I'm sure I'll discover lots of new things. Could be I'll encounter the Seven Sages along the way... and, Touya, if we spy each other along the way, let's battle again, OK?

Hoo boy, over 600 Pokemon and like sweet gently caress am I gonna catch them all. This postgame is pretty big and we've got a lot of stuff we're able to immediately do. Of course we'll catch all the new Pokemon we'll encounter along the way, but before I can think about that, I need to restock and see what's new where we currently are.

We've still got around 15 or so left to see in the Unova dex and that'll take a bit of time.

Aurea Juniper is only really interested in our Unova seen count, while Cedric Juniper is who we go to for our National caught count. So hey, first female professor, good stuff, but it's her father who actually does the heavy lifting. What a shame.

So you might not have noticed we didn't get any rods throughout this game, that's because the Super Rod is postgame only and it's a way to get a lot of new Pokemon without much difficulty. For the most part you can just fish up a new mon, once you get past all the drat Basculin, but Route 1 is a bad example since the new addition is quite rare outside of rippling water, which usually contains the evolved form, or a separate, rarer Pokemon.

YO WHAT THAT'S A 5% ENCOUNTER!!! So yeah, Feebas can be found pretty commonly by fishing in rippling water, but if you don't want to evolve it, with a sweet new trade item we'll find later, then you can try and fish up a Milotic. Or just do it first try like me, hell yeah. A lot more fully evolved and never before encountered Pokemon are available in the wild in these games, it's pretty great.

We haven't really seen these dex entries before, a lot of them are copied from DP or HGSS, sometimes a mix of both. And while we head out for some more supplies at Shopping Mall Nine, the bulletin board now mentions an outbreak of a Pokemon.

Like Gen 4, there's a LOT of Pokemon we can get through swarms each day, with some really interesting additions. Like hell yeah, gimme as many Tyrogue as I want! Of course, like before, I ain't evolving all this poo poo.

As for the Pokemon from these outbreaks, weeeeeeeeeell, you've got Mankey, Farfetch'd, Doduo, Exeggcute, Sentret, Yanma, Pineco, Smeargle, Tyrogue, Shuppet, Wynaut, Hippopotas and Croagunk. There's also Houndour, Shroomish, Plusle and Volbeat in Black, and Paras, Poochyena, Minun and Illumise in White. We'll catch basically none of these. Get used to this.

Oh hey the cave on Route 9 is open. We're not going in. No, out of all of the places we could go, such as the eastern area of Unova, we are of course gonna start with...

Hi there, Touya! I heard about these Pokemon statues, and I came to look into their origins!

It's called Darmanitan. It's sleeping, so it's become like a stone. When I quickly measured how long they've existed... it was amazing! Around 2,500 years! Seems like they went to sleep that long ago. That means they've been here since before this place was in ruins, when the Relic Castle was flourishing. Perhaps they were guarding the city. These Pokemon... they are either in a state in hibernation or meditation, so if you wake them, they will become active once again. And then item that wakes up Darmanitan is actually... this RageCandyBar! That's why I will share one with you, too, Touya!

Well, I'm headed back to the Pokemon Research Lab. Be seeing you!

The ancient Pokemon statue responded to the RageCandyBar. The Pokemon was a sleeping Darmanitan! The awakened Darmanitan attacked!

"Its internal fire burns at 2,500° F, making enough power that it can destroy a dump truck with one punch."

Woo, we can talk about this pile of trash. While Hidden Abilities were only really available from the Dream World, there were two you could get from this game, and a fair few more in the sequels. Shame that both the examples in this game are just awful. Now Zen Mode Darmanitan can work, see in about 10 years, but this one has a lot of issues it needs to overcome. Firstly, you need to be below half health to activate it which isn't a great way to start, especially for a defensive form like this one. So just pretend its HP stat is halved, to show how useless its defensive stats really are. Secondly, Fire/Psychic is a great offensive typing, but a pretty terrible defensive one, which doesn't help this half health wall attempt. And finally, what the hell are you doing making DARMANITAN a special attacker??? It gets some moves at least, Fire Blast, Psychic, Focus Blast and Grass Knot.

And, uh, that's about it. Fine moves in theory, but remember that the physically immense Darmanitan will have these moves for half of its health, which are basically useless for it. While also having a HA that was useless. With how fragile Darmanitan is, it's quite likely you'll be lower than half health to then start tanking, which is a pretty bad combination. So Darmanitan-Z is bad because of how much of a pain it is to actually use, hell Belly Drum would give you the form, but also gives you a useless +6 boost to Atk! On the off chance that Darm-Z did attack, it would hit really drat hard, but of course due to the Spd drop as well, an opponent could hit Darm-Z two times, one to knock it into the form, and again after the Spd drop. Overall, anything that you could mention as positives, the higher defenses, and the incredible power this form has, the downsides are just so big it's not worth bothering with.

Relic Castle

I have a very good reason for coming here first, though we're about to see how ready we are for the postgame. As for RageCandyBars, we've gotten two so far, but we can get multiple of them to awaken all the statues, if you wanted, at a later point.

Hmm, wonder why there's a random Plasma Grunt here, after the team disbanded? Probably nothing.

Alright, you wanna go then, huh? I've taken on loads of grunts, what's one more!

W-wait...

WAIIIIIIIIIT!!!

Alright, so here's BW's postgame, where everything is put at a set max level and if you came from the story with a team of 6, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. This is one of my biggest problems with the game, I haven't been looking forward to this at all. Now there's some Trainers that use older mons at basic stages, so it's not that bad. But any evolved Pokemon 20 levels higher than us is basically miserable to fight and I'm gonna need a lot of healing items to keep up.

Though of course there are bright spots. Firstly, you obviously get a crapton of experience from this so when you get levels and reduce the gap, it's honestly not too bad. Especially once some of these drat Pokemon finally evolve. But also because a lot of wild Pokemon are higher level, you can quickly make the difference if you want to add them to your team. Also you don't HAVE to fight the trainers if you don't want to, you can just grind Audino until you're strong enough to do other things. But I'm a right pain, me, so I'm gonna drag a level 43 Klang with me through the postgame so it can finally loving evolve.

I was his lookout so he wouldn't be interrupted... stupid, stupid, stupid me! Plus, weak... and did I mention stupid? It all adds up to nincompoop!

Wild Pokemon are only slightly stronger than we are, which is a slight issue since it also means repels aren't usable! This is why I'll be using Corazon for most of the postgame to catch Pokemon, since she can also run away from most of them!

Still, in these new areas we'll find a good chunk of new Pokemon and some Quick Balls make this much easier!

Postgame Onix, what a world.

This place is a little bit of a maze but you head towards the bottom middle, since the rooms in the top middle hide the true layout. Just think of this place like a dick and balls and you want to hit the bottom of the shaft, usual Saturday night, eh, eh?

Oh hey it's one of those guys. Uh, whatever his name is. Look, I've been playing this series for nearly 20 years but I don't remember the Seven Sages by look, even with this LP. loving sue me.

Just in these last two rooms is a guaranteed Claydol encounter, great fun when you can't repel them.

But the Shadow Triad said that Ghetsis has gone somewhere, right? The Seven Sages... we always said we were complete when the seven of us were together. Now I don't know the meaning of those words anymore. I guess I don't mind, even if we were being used, but the dream is over. I no longer need this. Ghetsis gave it to me, but I have no use for it.

This Relic Castle and our own castle are both crumbling... but what's different is that this Relic Castle is the remains of a civilization. And our castle left nothing behind...

Looker Appears

I am an officer of the International Police, and you must satisfy my request for certain information!

Understood. But we don't know much about Ghetsis or our lord N! We haven't even figured out if they are father and son...

Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but 5 of the Seven Sages still at large. They are thinking--upon what topics? They are hoping--upon what chances? This is of the utmost urgency. At once! On the way!

How did he even get down here? Well anyway, we'll find some Seven Sages here and there but they are quite scattered across the region, so it'll take a bit.

Anyway, here's not the reason we actually came down here, but might as well die.

O gently caress. So if you can somehow catch this not-legendary-but-basically-legendary Pokemon before it utterly annihilates you, then you can utterly annihilate the tough postgame, or your friends and family. Learning Quiver Dance when it evolves from the miserable Larvesta is one of the best feelings in the series, and getting Heat Wave one level later is also amazing. But since it learns moves every 10 levels it's not something to really grow along with you. It is one of the few Bug types that can actually survive in OU, despite taking HALF of its health from Stealth Rocks, strictly because its so ridiculous, only needing one Quiver Dance to usually get going. After that, it nukes anything in its way with Fire Blast, Bug Buzz, Psychic and Solarbeam on sun teams.

It's also a weirdly good choice on rain teams, since it combats sun teams with its powered up attacks, and is able to use fully accurate Hurricanes. If you're sticking around a while, you can use a specially bulky set with Fiery Dance to constantly boost past any walls in your way, as well as becoming physically defensive if you land a Flame Body burn or use Will-O-Wisp. It is one of the best Pokemon in the series, especially in a meta full of Stealth Rock, which speaks to how that move can help counter very dangerous Pokemon. Since Volcarona will destroy you if you give it a chance, and it will have many chances throughout a battle.

So hey, this Volcarona may be 25 levels higher than us and have absolutely bonkers stats, but it's either catch this, or level up Larvesta! I think you can understand my choice. Still, PRNDL can survive a +1 Bug attack to paralyze it and if it uses Heat Wave then I just restart, simple really.

Then we can buy some turns with Big O, since if we lower its Spd enough, it'll want to keep going for Quiver Dances. It 2HKOs our entire team anyway, and throwing balls ignores the Spd boosts, so I really don't care if it boosts up loads.

And we're dead. I wonder if this room doesn't count as a cave, since Dusk Balls should have a 40% chance of capture in these circumstances. That's definitely not the case, I threw like 40 over some different attempts and didn't last long enough to really throw other balls. Would make sense if this was technically an outside area due to the local sun god.

"When volcanic ash darkened the atmosphere, it is said that Volcarona's fire provided a replacement for the sun."

Still, with a 17% chance of a first turn Quick Ball, this was gonna happen eventually.

Anyway, let's get outta here.

Let's go up and up and up and don't forget this.

And up and up and up.

And this is what we actually came here for, finally Big O has good STAB, Miror B. no longer needs Revenge to damage Steel types and John will have something for coverage when she... finally evolves. Postgame time babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Let's enter our first new area, it's time for the postgame to really starting kicking my rear end!

Route 11 Spring

"dans ma mémoire."

Go 5 minutes into a new area and already the locals don't speak English! Bah.

The enemy levels will remain terrifying for a long time, but against unevolved Pokemon, it's not too bad.

Les paysages que nous avons admirés... les gens qu nous avons rencontrés... les Pokemon avec qui nous avons croisé le fer... ils resteront á jamais gravés dans ma mémoire.

If you were wanting some late evolution Unova mons on your team, it's probably much better waiting until the postgame to get them for your team. We can find Bisharp in dark grass at level freaking sixty, but it's 5% so I won't bother hunting it.

to understand one another. Do you think you can win against us?

Ah, a trainer with evolved Pokemon... this is gonna be difficult.

Still, with 6 Pokemon on our side and lots of healing items, it's only a matter of time before we win.

We kinda get wrecked by Water types but with enough chipping down we're just fine.

I enjoy working as a Ranger, but I love to spend my time with Pokemon! Whatever happens, I won't leave my Pokemon!

There's two other things we'll find in the postgame as well: waterfalls, and good TMs.

There's a lot of new Pokemon to be found in the regular grass, with Audino in rustling and Basculin in the water, as you'd expect. Gliscor can be found in rustling grass, if you wanted to save a Razor Fang.

Lots of nice hidden items, too, gonna need them...

Can't find this in the water, weirdly. Hey remember when I ran out of Pokeballs catching this in my Yellow LP and just didn't bother until later? Definitely wouldn't do that now lol

The dark grass is very important to go over in a minute, but we have another trainer to deal with. Hoo boy.

Gamera can mostly handle this Dewgong, mainly because of a Quick Claw flinch.

Corazon thankfully survives a +2 Superpower, but Pelipper is the main issue, especially if it never misses a Hurricane.

Maybe I should train my body and mind by standing under a waterfall!

We're about to get a real taste of FREEDOM! This is why Rufflet and Vullaby are not really worth training, aside from all the other issues listed previously. Might as well just catch them here! And it is honestly worth catching to help you with the mean postgame, since it hits pretty drat hard and it's not massively slow. Crush Claw and Superpower are good moves to use, and by catching it in the dark grass, it's not far from Brave Bird, since it doesn't learn Acrobatics like a bad bird. It's not a hugely amazing reward for a lot of levels of Rufflet work, but it can be very useful for the rest of the postgame. Add in Rock Slide, Shadow Claw and U-turn, and you've got a very interesting coverage hit and run attacker, definitely fun to use. But again, only really useful if you catch it at a high level in the postgame, not if you get it in Gen 7's early game where it's 40 levels away from being good. Fuckin morons...

"They fight for their friends without any thought about danger to themselves. One can carry a car while flying."

Dark grass is much more useful in the postgame, since it's a 10 level boost and that usually carries some evolved Pokemon that would be a hassle to get otherwise. Also who wouldn't want to catch a level 60 Gligar???

Ah, Corazon you're so good in the lead. There's plenty of random trash items we'll never use but they had to be placed somewhere, so might as well get these "rewards". Also since we won't see it otherwise and I'll just evolve my, uh, legitimately caught Vullaby, might as well go over its evolution.

Now it's tank time, Mandibuzz is also not worth the effort to evolve it, at least in single player. It definitely works a lot better with its stalling tactics and good defenses. It's let down by its Flying type for the most part, it's neutral to a lot of types, but two immunities and good support moves do a lot to help it. Since it sticks around for a fair while, it kinda uses Nasty Plot well enough as its enemy slowly succumbs to Toxic, Air Slash and Dark Pulse. Whirlwind, Substitute, U-turn, Torment, this bird can be a real pain if you let it, though it would become much more reliable in the sequels with the Roost tutor. In any case, while not the flashiest of mons, Mandibuzz can be a real pain to take down when you're not ready for it.

Like with Gen 2, there's a lot of variety with fishing, so let's give it a go!

Eh sure, I'll roll with whatever I encounter, since I also could've got Seaking fishing in rippling water, but I'm not exactly wanting to fill 500 spaces in an LP.

Then we've got the Surfing encounter and the other mons I fancy catching while I'm here. There's also Karrablast and Amoonguss, for some reason, just so you have something to get in the way of the mons you want to encounter.

...g-gracias?

Aah, a nice one mon trainer that we can flinch down cause we're lucky bastards.

Quand j'aurai beaucoup, beaucoup voyagé, je rentrerai á la maison, et je pourrai raconter tout plein de choses á ma famille!

No, it's a bridge like a village... no, it's a bridge like a bridge... no, it's a village like a village... oh, I'm so confused!

Village Bridge

Well it is a bridge and a village, but it's not a town so I'm not going over it. Right now I'm only interested in one place in particular.

Both you and your Pokemon are healthy and energetic! If you get tired, please talk to me. I'll let you take a nice long rest.

Next house. Hello and goodbye.

...so is this my house now?

Let me introduce myself. I am a member of the Hip Waders. As the name suggests, it's a fishing club! Why don't you join up and enjoy some fishing? Awesome! Now you are the second member of the Hip Waders! Here we go! I'll announce the official Hip Waders Catch of the Day! The Pokemon we're fishing for today is Lumineon! If you catch one, please show it to me!

The reward for doing this is 5 Dive Balls, which we'll be able to buy soon enough, so it's kinda whatever.

Village Bridge Beatbox

Now it's time to liven up this place, there's 4 NPCs that'll add something to the music, been a while since we've had something like this.

Village Bridge Guitar

Alright enough of them fat beats, though all 4 new tracks do stack, like in Accumula Town. Remember that far back? We'll hear them all at the end.

"in the world!"

There's trainers and wild Pokemon in this place, so it's technically a new route. These 6 mon trainers are great ways to train John and PRNDL up. Evolve already drat you!!!

Nice variety of stuff as we slowly fill in our dex. Sure there's some Pokemon you'll never find in this region, but we can get drat close.

The book I am reading now was written by Professor Juniper. It says the origin of Pokemon is still a mystery.

HMs got you down? Bibarel is still a great choice, can nearly learn all the HMs in this game.

Village Bridge Enka Vocal

Neat. This is what most people remember the Village Bridge for. We'll talk about it more in just a moment.

We've caught all the new mons in the grass, so what's our fishing encounter this time?

Ah, Hoennian Basculin. I know it's different fish but it's a joke shut up.

Two corners of the map left, what will we find?

Village Bridge Grass Flute

That's all four, Derleth, Aickman, Russo and Koontz, the D-A-R-K Musicians of Village Bridge. Named so because their Japanese names, Tambo, Son, Gatchi and Reizo spell out tasogare in their initial katakana, meaning dusk. You can hear that in the vocals. Speaking of the vocals...

:siren: Village Bridge Ensemble :siren:

俺はね鴎に惚れた黄昏親父。
Ore wa ne kamome ni horeta tasogare oyaji
I am a geezer standing in the dusk, mesmerized by the gulls. x2

俺はね鴎に惚れた黄昏親父。
Ore wa ne kamome ni horeta tasogare oyaji
I am a geezer standing in the dusk, mesmerized by the gulls. x2

青い海を眺めては涙、
Aoi umi o nagamete wa namida
Gazing fixedly into the blue sea, I bemoan with shed tears,

青い港は鴎飛び去って。
Aoi minato wa kamome tobi satte
as I yearn for the lovely gulls soaring above the blue harbor.

That's deep man. Why is this here? Who loving knows, but it's because they did that little bit extra for the music here that this place is so memorable.

Well that was fun, now to bash my head against another trainer. I'm having fun.

Oh yeah you're high enough level to learn that. poo poo!

Suppressing Mold Breaker should be illegal. But a quick Memento later and we're all done.

In the Village Bridge, a lot of bricks support each other and keep the bridge from collapsing. That's how the bridge has kept its shape for over 100 years.

The running joke of my main character not being able to eat has lasted way longer than I ever thought possible.

Oh it's so nice having actual STAB.

You are great! I want to hire you. What do you think? Will you work here as a Waiter? That's great! I'm so glad!

The gently caress's a work?

Then, I'll make sandwiches to fill their orders. You'll serve the sandwiches to the customers who ordered them. Please be careful, and don't serve them to the wrong customers! Thank you! I hope you'll do a great job!

Gah, what the gently caress is that thing? Well I doubt we'll see another one.

One shot of espresso, got it.

Double shot of espresso, alright mate.

And the Hot Wings challenge? No prob.

Well done! Thank you! Give me a second to make the sandwiches. ... The sandwiches are ready! Please serve them to the correct customers.

Much, munch... yummy! My Pokemon is also happy.

Okay, looks like I got them all right, phew. Since you can say no to giving a customer a sandwich with no repercussions, you can mix up the order at any step of the process and it doesn't matter, so long as you have the right number of each sandwich and actually remember who gets what.

Perfect! The customers seem to be satisfied, too. This is a thank-you gift. You've worked really hard!

Well that's a nice berry, but I don't exactly fancy my wages being paid in food.

Well that was a nice stop, but this update don't end til we reach a new town!

Route 12 Spring / Summer / Autumn / Winter

Been quite a while since we've had a seasonal variety in route music. This is unfortunately the last one, but it's definitely a good 'un.

"Please take a look!"

Route 12 is very short, but has a lot to it.

No it's fine, John doesn't need exp anyway...

They must have been tired because they were running around. Aww! So cute!

Lots of items and Pokemon to grab as well, but we'll get to that in a moment. In any case, Tristan can finally, FINALLY, upgrade his Seed Bomb after nearly thirty levels.

"but I am also interested in you."

This is the Bug Catcher's final form.

Even similar Pokemon will have different behavior and appearances in Unova and other regions.

I could give these mushrooms to that gourmet on Route 5, but while I've been sweating about money issues for a little while, I'm not that desperate and it won't be an issue soon enough.

Weird that Paras isn't available on this route.

There's a few rarer mons on this route that become a little easier to find in doubles grass. Ow.

Gotta get used to high level basic stage mons having very good moves that hurt, but thankfully don't OHKO.

The Pokemon Day Care on Route 3! If you leave two Pokemon there, you may find an Egg!

Have you prayed to your Quick Ball god today?

"but I am also interested in you."

Am I somewhat mad for dragging these two mons to evolution? Well it's kinda working, but I do have the pick and choose my battles. Also I'm cutting out all the healing, or quick stops back to the reviving village woman for a smoother experience.

The unevenness of this landscape... we can tell that the flow of a river created the undulation.

Oh hey a double battle, been a while. Thankfully it's just two Swoobat, so if we can slow them down, they won't do much damage.

To battle well in a Double Battle, we have to know our partner's Pokemon moves.

I think the Pokemon in the Pokeballs totally understand how you feel!

There's a lot of goddamn Pokemon on this route, with Metapod and Kakuna being version exclusives. If you fancied some evolutions then they're in rustling grass, especially useful in getting Vespiquen, as well as Sunflora and Butterfree/Beedrill.

Ow. Okay, that's all of them, let's get outta here.

Next time, we've reached a town, so let's see if there's lots to find here! Hah.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 8, 2021

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

...that's a Super Rod, right?

Yes, correct! It is certainly a Super Rod!

Weren't we talking about Team Plasma's Seven Sages? What does this have to do with looking for those people?

I see... it is truly Touya's mama to ask so! What a magnificent question! I admire it! It is my pleasure to answer. Absolutely nothing!

I see...

:allears:

Nothing is more demoralizing in the post-game of Black and White than being outleveled by random Preschoolers despite being the Champion.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The postgame in BW sure is something I didn't do. The moment I saw the level difference I decided not to bother. Everything should be like ten levels lower considering it's immediately after the Ghetsis fight.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I never knew about Zen Mode Darmanitan since I never really bothered with normal Darmanitan, but after reading all that...just, what the gently caress were they thinking? :psyduck:

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Blaze Dragon posted:

The postgame in BW sure is something I didn't do. The moment I saw the level difference I decided not to bother. Everything should be like ten levels lower considering it's immediately after the Ghetsis fight.

I just used Audino to grind until I was at more competitive levels. Still sucked.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Looker is kind of a weird choice for the series' Recurring Character, but he's such a goofball I can't help but appreciate him. :allears:

Also the village bridge music is great! It's so great I somehow completely missed it when I first played, because I was more invested in chasing down plasma goons, whoops

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I never knew about Zen Mode Darmanitan since I never really bothered with normal Darmanitan, but after reading all that...just, what the gently caress were they thinking? :psyduck:

This IS the company that came up with Slow Start.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

Who knows. They did get it right with the Galarian Form at least, so they clearly learned from this mistake.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I... enjoy how the Unova Pokedex consists entirely of new Pokemon, and then you actually access all of the areas you couldn't before due to arbitrary roadblocks and oh, hey, there's old Pokemon in Unova! In mainland Unova, even! Sometimes even in the half of Unova you could access but just so happened to be blocked from, like with the Desert Palace or fishing.

...I dunno, maybe it's a personal thing but "these Pokemon live in Unova but aren't in the catalog of Pokemon that live in Unova" is super annoying to me. It worked better in Sinnoh, where you could argue that the Battle Area wasn't actually part of Sinnoh, but here it's just... agitating.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Who knows. They did get it right with the Galarian Form at least, so they clearly learned from this mistake.

Yeah but then they made regular G!Darmanitan have a built in 50% Attack multiplier from its ability.

I guess one form being too strong is better than the other form being a complete mess mechanically...?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love the post game here and hoenstly part of it is the absurd level jump. You generally dont see it in this series but its an interesting thing that you see a bunch of unevovled trash at high levels and then the occasional evolved Pokemon.

If you battle the wild pokemon you find while exploring the new routes I find it's pretty managable and you catch up pretty quick.

I also love the sheer variety of things you run into, both in the wild and on trainer teams. Just a giant eclectic mix of everything.

rannum fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 29, 2020

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 25: East Coast Represent

Lacunosa Town

Kagome Town: Kagome is woven triangles.
From 籠目 kagome (kagome lattice, a pattern of holes in a woven bamboo basket) and 囲め kakome (surround).
Lacunosa Town: Methodical and Orderly
From lacunosus clouds, characterized by a net or honeycomb pattern.

Since early times in Sinnoh, people made a bouquet of Gracidea flowers to give someone to show their feelings of appreciation.

Dunno what a Sinoo is, but Lacunosa Town really does not have a lot to it, so I'm gonna scrape the bottom of the barrel to be here as long as possible.

"a worthy opponent."

I can look at a Gym Badge and tell you that story. Can I see one of your Gym Badges?

Man, that was aaaaaaaages ago now, remember how I used that Purrloin for Retaliate fodder? Good times.

Would you like to hear an old story of Lacunosa Town? Bear with me, because I'm an old lady who likes telling tales the old-fashioned way!

There's a great big hole at the back of this town. A long time ago, a huge meteor fell from the sky and made the big hole. A very scary monster was hiding inside the meteor! People say the monster appeared in the village at night, bringing a cold wind, and it stole away people and Pokemon... so the villagers built big walls to keep the monster out and made a rule that no one could go out after dark. ...of course, nowadays nobody believes in such things. But you know... even now, the people of this town stay inside after dark. Isn't that strange? I guess old stories and old traditions have some influence on our current life.

That's really about it for this town, but as stated, everyone's inside at night. It's cute, there wasn't much reason to give this pitstop town with nothing much to do a fun personality. But they did so anyway, because why not?

...w-what? What do you want, now? Did you pick now to listen to my stories? Mmm... OK, I'll tell you... behind our Lacunosa Town, there's a big hole in the ground. That hole, way in the past... aaaahhh, I'm so tired... that hole, there was a... a big... crashed down... inside was... big, scary... really scary... Zzz... zzz... zzz...

I'm sorry to leave my wife lonely, but that's the life of a powerful executive. Oh, this is a souvenir from a business trip, but she does not seem to need it, so I will give it to you.

I leave on a business trip again tomorrow. I think of myself as a role model for businesspeople.

And that's it for Lacunosa Town! On Sunday night we can get a Pecha, Leppa, Lum or Bluk Berry from this guy and we'll never come back here for this LP, let's get outta here!

Route 13 Spring

Route 13 is where we'll be spending basically the rest of this update, because it's pretty big and also very easy to get distracted along the way.

When Pokemon use moves, or when they see you and catch your eye, your heart beats a little faster, doesn't it?

And of course there's tons of new mons to find. At least we can space these out a bit.

Cut rears its ugly head again. Hopefully we're nearly done with this drat HM.

Oh hey, wonder what this is doing here?

Hey who gave Mothim Quiver Dance? What has mankind wrought???

I'm happy when I am with my Pokemon! That means I will be happy for years to come! Because I'm always with them!

Hmm, sounds like a sidequest. Let me just get distracted at least 5 times before we finish this.

Ah man hope the letters didn't fall in the water...

Artists can be divided into two types... some draw what they see, and some draw what they can't see!

Oh hey, there's one!

Alright, let's head down and try to find some. Surely they'll just be out in the open?

I really miss repels working, you guys...

Ah geez, more Water Pokemon to struggle with. Though maybe he won't have any evolved mons.

I want to go deep-sea fishing using the Royal Unova that leaves from Castelia City!

Fishing time, what will we find. Fishing time, I'm running out of Net Balls.

Wow, two encounters! There's also a rare chance at a Luvdisc, but there's other ways to get Heart Scales now, so it's not important.

Well, could this be it? It fell on my head just now. Here, give this to Wingull.

A wrinkle in this sidequest is you might overlook this guy who gives you a Gram. Bit annoying, but I'm sure it's just the one.

Surfing encounters you say?

hiyah

Easy way back, and we've found a new little item. Give a Prism Scale to a Feebas and trade it, it'll evolve into Milotic. Neat, now you don't have to bother with miserable Beauty raising. And of course, Milotic is free to catch if you're a little lucky.

You ready to get eaten by a monster? No not like in your animes.

Giant Chasm

That exit down there is the way forward, but this cave has a few important things to it as well.

I wasn't in a huge rush to catch some mons on Route 13 since some can be found in here as well.

And since this is a cave, we'll be getting stopped every 5 steps for an encounter. What fun.

Dunno why these strength boulders are really here, if it's just for one item.

There's not really an icy postgame area, kinda already did that with Icirrus City and its surroundings, so this will have to do. Plenty more to catch. Again!

Star Pieces are becoming a bit too common so a new tier of rare sellable was introduced. Though it can't be sold in these games, only given to the ore maniac in Icirrus City for a fat 60k. Still, this is the only one we'll find unless you get stupid lucky with held items.

Hey Nack.

This is the only spot of water in the Giant Chasm, so let's get it done.

Pretty standard, with a rarer chance of Poliwhirl. If you get lucky fishing in rippling water, then you could get a Poliwrath, first time that's been available to catch. ...okay there was XD, but who remembers trash I LPed nearly... 3 years ago. Ah gently caress.

Ugh, FINE, I'll go around.

This just means you don't have to go all the way around for the entrance if you have Strength. And you should. I can moan about it sometimes, but slotting in those boulders is very satisfying and it also means you don't need the HM when you've done them all.

Alright, into the crater.

Since this quite out of the way, in the postgame no less, the Pokemon around here are very strong, but Corazon can run away from all of them, so it's okay. Boy it's almost like I planned it that way.

...how many Pokemon are from space, anyway?

We go in a spiral pattern with a bunch of ledges to stop you going back, so make sure to get everything, there's some good stuff!

Slight pain to catch as always, but you definitely need one for breeding. Well technically we need two, but since I'm not planning on any breeding, I'll just grab the one, whatever.

Since the level of Pokemon is higher, we'll find level 65 wild Pokemon in the dark grass, the highest in the game! And here I am moaning about being underlevelled, I can be a real drama queen sometimes.

Oh hey it's a Metang, doesn't the entire Beldum line have 3 catch rate because you didn't actually catch it in Gen 3 so it didn't really matter. Yeah, that's fun. Anyway, it's a terrible idea to actually try and catch one. Sure, you can even find a Metagross, as well as Mamoswine and Clefable, in the rustling grass, but that's still not a good idea cause it will actually murder you.

But if you're not a little bitch you'll catch one no problem. I am a loving moron for trying to catch Pokemon during the day, though, so it's counterbalanced.

Here's a great reason to come here, finally Water types no longer have to be discount Ice types with inaccurate Blizzards, they are now better Ice types.

Hmm, there's a path on the top right we can't reach. But there's a small clearing in the bottom right. I wonder what we'll find.

Meh. But the TM is way more worth it, here's the Blissey slayer. But not the Chansey slayer, it has Eviolite.

That's everything we can grab, so let's reflect on our journey in the crater's centre.

As a millennial, the prospect of running towards a terrifying monster sounds like my kind of Saturday night. Ah poo poo I really am writing this on a Saturday night WHAT HAS MY LIFE BECOME

Kyurem Battle

Perfectly balanced. As all things should be. Kyurem seems to have a lot going for it, nice HP, incredible dual offensive stats, and pretty good defensive stats. So why is it UU? Well, it's the jack of all trades, mixed sets aren't really a thing these days, so investing fully into physical or special means you're throwing 130 stat points away. Especially because it doesn't really have a physical set, Outrage, Shadow Claw, Rock Slide, no physical Ice move at all. Well I'm sure that last part won't be an issue later. The best you could maybe attempt on a mixed set is slapping Draco Meteor on the end of a physical set, so special it is. Now Dragon and Ice coverage are a little redundant, but it gets stuff like Hyper Voice, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon and Focus Blast for some fun stuff.

No the main issue is its typing, Ice types have a hard time making it in OU and it still doesn't help it really overcome Steel types. Also, as a Dragon, it has a lot to live up to, and 95 Spd is just short of other mammoths like Haxorus and Hydreigon. Add in all the speedy Fighting types and you can see how OU is a very unfriendly environment for it. And then it gets outclassed by its other forms 2 years later. Well, maybe it doesn't mind. On paper, this thing looks great, but then you have some things dragging it down and they're a little too big to overcome. In OU at least, it absolutely tears UU apart.

Anyway since this is a legendary Pokemon nearly 30 levels above us, it 2HKO our entire team. Even Eviolite PRNDL can't survive it since John doesn't need it for this fight.

So let's throw some balls before it kills us and we need to restart.

"It generates a powerful, freezing energy inside itself, but its body became frozen when the energy leaked out."

Thanks, Pokedex.

Route 13 Spring

Well that was a fun diversion. Weren't we in the middle of stuff? Might as well catch a Tangela on the way back.

...wait. No. Nooooooo... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Is my fishing rod bad? Or is it my fishing skill that's bad? I always catch the same Pokemon.

That's all the water encounters done, well the ones I care about. There's quite a bit of variety, we can find Starmie in rippling water, same as Corsola, as well as Pelipper from just surfing around. Fishing in rippling water also nets us Cloyster and Kingler.

Hi... please have a battle with me.

Ah, the last mon John needs to beat as a Fraxure. God what a stupidly long journey this has been. Hopefully the rest of the mons are easy to beat and don't use OHKO moves!

I heard a parasol is a must on the beach... but I'm the only one who has one?

:sickos: It's all worth it though, actually has less Atk than Skulletor, if you can believe it, but has better increases in other stats. drat John is so good and I cannot wait to actually unleash it on the rest of the postgame.

Treasure hunting is fun. Sometimes things are buried in the sand dunes. Actually, I just found something! But it's the same one as I found before, so I will give it to you.

I'll be hunting for treasures here tomorrow, too. I may find something, so if you have time, stop by.

Definitely worth coming back here every day, that is some primo stuff here. The flutes don't do anything anymore, alas, so you can only sell them. But this is the only place you can find them. The Shoal Salt and Shoal Shell are Hoenn confirmed but also don't do anything, while other items, like the Lucky Punch and Lucky Egg can only be gotten here otherwise. Everything else could be a hassle to obtain, but are available through other means.

Very well. Let me reward your passion with some absolutely astounding moves. They're the ultimate moves! Shall I teach them to your Pokemon? Hmm... well, that is fine, as well. Visit if you have a change of heart.

I'm long past the point of ever teaching my starter their "ultimate move", pah. Like with the Comet Shard, this is the only Pearl String you'll naturally obtain, though it isn't held by wild Pokemon. It sells for a fat stack of 25k maniac cash, but again we won't have money issues very soon.

But I don't know how to use it. You can have it if you like.

I have another one. Take this, too!

They say there's a sunken temple at the bottom of the sea around Undella Town. Those plates were resting in the temple. Maybe they're treasure...

...I got it! Wingull dropped it. Here it is. Please give this to Wingull! Tell Wingull not to drop it this time!

I'm not so good at talking, so I write mail instead. I can write all about my trip and how it made me feel.

Didn't get distracted along the way, no sir. Bit annoying that two of the Grams are held by people, not really much of a hunt. But at least they're not far.

Thank you, Trainer! When we see happy Pokemon faces, we feel happy, don't we?

The reward is a good one though, drat this TM is nice for the endlessly switching singles doom meta I stay far away from.

Feels like this massive route never ends. But hey, what's better than one team member evolution?

Because my own Pokemon are the best ones for me!

In a little bit PRNDL will learn Shift Gear to round out its... depressing moveset, but it has everything it really needs, so I'm happy. Those are perfectly good stats and who doesn't love gear gear gear?

"They are kind but can be relentless when defending territory. They challenge foes with tusks that can cut steel."
"Its red core functions as an energy tank. It fires the charged energy through its spikes into an area."

Boy, imagine if we had Unova mons that took even longer to evolve???

Don't forget about this huge island over here.

We've nearly got everything on this route, but there's also Tangrowth and Crobat in the rustling grass. I'm glad there's shortcuts to some evolutions if you really don't fancy doing it one way.

Using Big O has been a bit annoying with all the Water types, but this is one isn't too bad.

The secret of fishing... isn't it "hurry up slowly"?

Nearly done with the length of the route, now for the width. It never seems to end... oh hey, we got the DeepSeaTooth quite a while ago. Nice to finally get the item Clamperl cares to use.

What is this, the good TM day?

Uh, thanks.

Big O saves the world!

If Pokemon are good friends, they will be filled with power!

The Abilities called Plus and Minus are the best combination! Right?

There's a bit of a gauntlet to the end of the route, but our newly evolved team members will handle this just fine!

Oh. Well poo poo.

The quiet sound of a multitude of waves endlessly overlapping... it's like a first-class orchestra... doesn't it sound like that?

Gimme your money boomer.

Cool

...looking back, when I had ups and downs, my Pokemon were always there for me.

Don't forget about the sandy bar up here, it's vaguely important or whatever.

Neat, took 3 attempts in rippling water, but now we have a slow way of getting Heart Scales. Just do the daily quest in Driftveil.

How about that? Sounds pretty great, doesn't it?

Please stop kicking my rear end.

I walk on the sandy beach... because I love footprints!

Just before we finish this hell of a route, here's the last mon we're missing. ...I mean, we didn't really make much progress on the Unova Dex, but this is fine too, r-right?

Can you believe it?

Do you have a villa in Undella? You are rich! As a token of our new acquaintance, please accept this!

Thanks, uh, I don't need it. Undella Town is similarly small, but does have a bit going for it. Can't help to explore it a bit, right?

So, teach this move to your Pokemon, and you can dive into the sea!

Inside this Hidden Machine is Dive! The darkest parts of the sea are called diving points, and if you use Dive there, you can dive all the way to the bottom of the sea!

Ugh, I don't wanna think about what Pokemon I'll have to saddle that move with. Hmm, not that I've really seen any dive spots in my journeys. Still, let's poke around these villas, what's the worst that could happen?

Oh hi Cynthia

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 8, 2021

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Happy New Year, from our piano villa to yours. In two short months it'll be my 7 year LPing anniversary. It's nothing particularly notable, but it's still... fun to note regardless.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pictures taken moments before disaster.

Happy New Year. :toot:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kyurem's probably one of my favorite legends just on design alone. You take one look at it and realize instantly that something is very wrong with it.
The little folklore about it is also nice, and also obvious that there's more to the story once you see it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You walked into the wrong bungalow motherfucker.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

aaaaaaa Cynthia :swoon:

She's great. Definitely not an absolutely terrifying postgame encounter with zero buildup who will curbstomp you for fun, no, not at all.

In other news, man, there's a lot of postgame pokemon, huh? This is one of the only games I ever used a Metagross, even if only for the postgame. All the fun, and none of the "carrying a god drat beldum/metang through 40 levels of mediocrity".

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Blaziken386 posted:

aaaaaaa Cynthia :swoon:

She's great. Definitely not an absolutely terrifying postgame encounter with zero buildup who will curbstomp you for fun, no, not at all.

In other news, man, there's a lot of postgame pokemon, huh? This is one of the only games I ever used a Metagross, even if only for the postgame. All the fun, and none of the "carrying a god drat beldum/metang through 40 levels of mediocrity".

Was Beldum a post game prize back in RSE, or before that? I swear it was post game, and that has been the only time I've raised one so far.

Haxorus though? I went through the trouble of getting one before the E4. Painful, but still nowhere near as bad as my attempt to get Dragonite during a run of Fire Red. Wasn't able to do that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember a shiny Beldum in ORAS that actually had a full moveset, but it was a Mystery Gift.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

Was Beldum a post game prize back in RSE, or before that? I swear it was post game, and that has been the only time I've raised one so far.

I'm pretty sure Beldum was postgame in RSE, it was a gift from Steven IIRC.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

Haxorus though? I went through the trouble of getting one before the E4. Painful, but still nowhere near as bad as my attempt to get Dragonite during a run of Fire Red. Wasn't able to do that.

Huh. Did they mess with the exp curve? I seem to recall that popping around/during the elite four in the original.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I remember a shiny Beldum in ORAS that actually had a full moveset, but it was a Mystery Gift.

I recall it too, though I don't think I used that one during the story.

FoolyCharged posted:

Huh. Did they mess with the exp curve? I seem to recall that popping around/during the elite four in the original.

Dratini is gotten from the Game Corner, but by the time it was a Dragonair, leveling slowed to a crawl since I ran out of Trainers. I had hoped the Sevii Islands would serve as a good training ground, but it didn't.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Given I skipped Gen IV games, this was my first exposure to Cynthia.

Still hate her :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 26: Little Fish, Big Pond

Cynthia Encounter

What an uncanny resemblance... it's surprising to meet another Trainer who has intense eyes like that Pokemon Trainer. What's your name? ... OK. I'll remember that! Touya, nice to meet you. I'm Cynthia. I'm a Pokemon Trainer, too, like you. I have an insatiable curiosity for researching Pokemon myths.

I'm staying here at my friend's villa so I can investigate them. In order to get to know each other better as Pokemon Trainers, I would like our Pokemon to have a match. Would you care to be my opponent? Ha ha. You prefer to take things slowly and rationally, am I right? When you're ready, come and talk to me. I'll be happy to see you.

Undella Town

Let's not come back for a very long time. Instead hey, here's some Dive Balls, they're cool or whatever.

Undella Town Summer

Undella Town: A Town of Rippling Waves
Fom undulatus, clouds with wavy patterns. They have names for everything, drat. Also derived from umbrella and underwater.
Sazanami Town: The sound of the ebbs and flows of the waves.
From さざ波文様 sazanami-mon'yō, a pattern based on ripples and 漣/小波/細波 sazanami (ripple).

Quite. There's really not much in Undella until you Alolan it up and visit during the Summer, when things actually happen. Because no point going outside unless it's summer.

Not too much actually changes, there's not much to this place overall tbh, but at least people are in the other villas now! We'll need this evolution in just a moment.

I've been relaxing in Undella Town too long, and I've gotten a little chubby. If Cinccino was by my side, I can get some exercise by training it, and that'll help me lose weight. Would you trade my Munchlax with Cinccino? Phew! All right, let's trade!

Been a long while since the last trade, Boldore for Emolga on Route 7 if you remember, but it's definitely worth it, since the Snorlax line can't be obtained in these games otherwise.

Please take good care of Munchlax. It spent a summer with me. I will work hard to train your Cinccino and get some exercise!

Well it's a free Leftovers, otherwise whatever.

And that's it for Undella Town in the summer, this last bit is doable any time, but is something we'll finish up much later.

Scared pottah?

I like you! I will let you see a very special thing, so follow me!

This is my dad's villa, and I can use it freely! But when I came here, surprisingly there was nothing to do, so now I'm bored. As you may know, my dad is totally obsessed with items at the ruins... hey, you're bored, aren't you? Come here tomorrow, too! I don't mind having a battle with you!

This is a new daily thing we can do to battle various rich people and take their money. Pretty worthwhile, but it ramps up in the usual postgame way so it'll be a while before we can actually do this. I know I'm delaying quite a few things, but I don't want to die!

And as you can see, my hobby is to collect rare items! In fact, this outfit is ultra expensive and rare. Can you see it? Can you? There's something that this billionaire wants to get his hands on, even if it means spending a lot of money. Do you have such a rare item? Do you?

How many drat item maniacs are there. Well we can sell flutes to this guy for 8k each, but the main thing he wants is stuff found in the ruins. So let's head there and solve all our money problems.

Quick beach comb, and let's explore the- oh, some rippling water.

Wayyyyyy, all the new water encounters in Undella Town are more common in the bay so might as well catch them here.

One new fish to pick up and we've found a dive spot. We'll waste a moveslot on Gamera in just a moment. During Winter, you can find Spheal and Sealeo but I don't fancy changing my computer clock for every little thing, I already do it enough and it's the one annoying thing about showing off most things in these games.

Nice to add Hamlet back into the party just to fight a bunch of overlevelled Water types. I'm good at this.

Alright, we've finally seen male Jellicent, I can sleep easy.

OK! I will challenge Pokemon in Gyms all over the world! Where do I find Water-type Gyms... Kanto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, right?

They say a temple sank to the ocean floor in Undella!

Alright, another mon to add to the- siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

That's it for new encounters, Mantine and Wailord can be found in rippling water, or Walrein in Winter.

If you're wondering if there's anything above the surface aside from trainers, the answer is uh no.

"is really an adventure!"

Oh hey Hamlet can beat a Water type without getting oneshot, that's nice.

I am on vacation all year round...

The swimmers here are very talkative.

Have your Pokemon learned the move Dive? Dive is good! Great! 'Cause it's Dive!

yes

I heard that Cynthia swims secretly when nobody else is around. And I heard she is great! Just great!

Was wondering when I'd encounter cute birb. Now let's go for a deep dive to some ruins, it's gonna be a blast.

Abyssal Ruins

Don't think of Dive in the Gen 3 sense, there's only one place to visit and it has four entrances. We'll go in via the left entrance first.

Alright, it's maze time. You have 500 steps to steal everything not nailed down and maybe even progress further into the ruins for better treasure. Since maps of this place were made of squares, I decided to make my own one using the actual in-game layout, so refer to that if you want to know where I am. There's not really an easy way to show this since this place is just collecting items.

You can find the other 14 Plates here, you might want them, might not, and there's a bunch of hieroglyphs that are a little complicated to translate, but it is very worth it. We're given the transliterations in the sequel, but it still requires a cipher to figure it out, and the fun thing is the cipher changes each floor.

That's 100 steps. So there's 33 symbols, 25 of them correspond to the alphabet, one symbol is missing due to how one letter is missing from each floor. 4 symbols correspond to numbers that are used on this floor and the last four symbols are not translated as they refer to an individual, Pokemon or otherwise and are left intentionally blank in the sequel's transliteration.

So once you have the symbols match up to the alphabet, it's still unreadable because of the cipher, you need to read them backwards and upside down, as in, you read it bottom to top and then right to left. So the first pillar we encounter at the entrance reads SDROWSGNIKOTNETSIL, which is reversed to Listen to King's words. There's no punctuation or anything of the sort, it's a very simple code.

300 steps. There's a bunch of Relic items in the ruins, especially on later floors, that can be sold to the billionaire for lots and lots of money. It's definitely worth to come here even if you don't intend to pick up everything, the items on the later floors can be sold for a buttload.

You have to translate the pillars blocking the way if you want to have an idea of what to do to progress. This pillar is the only one to change depending on how many steps you took to get here, 190 or more reads TSOLSTEGGNIKON, No king gets lost. That's fine, I'll be grabbing everything here for the most part before I move on.

There are some pillars that tell you how to get the middle with little difficulty, but otherwise they tell a story of a long lost king. This is likely referring to the brothers that bonded with the legendaries, depending on the version, but it could also refer to a descendant, since it seems to only refer to one individual.

450 steps. The story reads as follows: Listen to King's words. Primes lead to truth. King is brave. King never loses hope. King is kind. King has a dream. Kind is adventurous. King accepts all. King turns 2nd corner. King turns 3rd corner. King turns 5th corner. King turns 7th corner. Have the heart of King. Here we praise King. King's light shines. King moves his people. King acts with love. King fought hatred.

This king guy seems like a real top bloke. It's been 500 steps, so we're kicked out, but can easily dive back in to get more things. It'll take a few attempts to get everything, but having a map open showing the items can really speed along the process.

I don't need to show me picking up every item, but I have an image buffer to talk about other things. So the way to the center is something you'll do quite a few times, but the game makes it easy for you. The left entrance takes the least amount of steps to reach the center, and if you turn at the prime junctions, as in the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th from the entrance, then you will always reach the middle. Each of those denominations is represented by a single symbol btw.

We've picked up every item in the left and bottom entrances, since they pair together quite nicely, so we can leave and then re-enter to restart the turn count. Let's go up a floor.

Go on, brave King.

Another floor, another maze. Though there's some better stuff here, there's less steps to grab them in. But that's fine, you can just use the cipher to find out where to go. Well, not exactly, since this is a smaller floor there's no directions and there's an additional step to add to the cipher. See, the symbols shift up by one so they correspond to a different letter than the floor below. So a symbol that meant E last floor now means D, and the same will happen on the next floor, so D will become C.

Well that's enough of 2F for the moment, now we'll go through the top entrance to grab a few things.

Things were grabbed, so now for the right entrance.

And there was only a couple things left, 500 steps gives you a lot of leeway. So now we'll dive to the left entrance for the rest of this place to quickly get to the middle in around 160 steps. Follow the prime rule, or just head for the top right and then go straight down when you reach the middle, pretty simple.

Least we can quickly get through this floor now. You just head to the right, wrap around and then take the first junction. The prime rule still applies to all floors, it's a nicely designed maze.

Yes you need Flash to get through here, the writing tells you all about it. Or, not exactly, see in the transliteration, it uses the translated alphabet from the first floor, so this pillar becomes EFFSHBGJFOJIT, which is actual gibberish. You need to know to apply the letter shift to higher floors to then make it Shine if agreed. Otherwise, the rules are the same.

Since I got every item on 2F I didn't have much time of 3F, so we'll have to do this all over again.

As for the story on this floor: Life is gratitude. Eating is receiving life. Good or evil isn't all. Do not be barbaric. One must not waste. All is precious. Wars create tears. Shine if agreed.

Alright, last maze, though it's quite easy to find what you need here.

Got most things on this floor, so I think we just need one more trip to completely clear this place.

So, from the top.

Prime rule to reach the middle within 190 steps.

Same rule to reach the flash, aaaaaahhhhhhh.

And then the final hurdle, once we picked up the final 3F item. The cipher has moved two steps on, E is now C as an example so this says FGGTICHKIPQTVUVEC. That doesn't really mean anything, so let's go over the whole story for this floor: King talks to all beings. Saved all from waves. King is hope for all. Think, act with love. Act strong if agreed.

And there we go. Interesting that this king has the same power N has. Perhaps N is more of a king than he thinks, being an orphan that knows nothing of his lineage.

And our final prize. The crown is the only thing up here, aside from LORE, so we're done here. The cipher is now 3 steps up, so E is now B and as a coincidence one letter in each of those steps never appeared so we don't know one of the symbols. 1F never has Z appear, 2F never has Y, 3F never has X and 4F never has W, it's quite strange. For the final floor: King defeated ? alone. ? joined King in a day. King called ? beings. King is hope and future. The great King ?.

The mystery washes over us. As well as the torrent of water. So the King's name is transliterated in the sequel (and I'll go over it now so we're not waiting two years to talk about a minor thing) as various dots, which have a different length depending on the language. In the ruins they're a single symbol, unlike anything else in the language, but we can make some speculations. Since it's 5 characters in Japanese/Korean, 8 characters in English/French/Italian, and 7 characters in Spanish, it's proposed to be Harmonia, since it fits in all contexts. Very interesting. The other 3 symbols are all different, so they possibly refer to different individuals, but they all have the same number of characters, so they perhaps represent 3 different forms of one creature?

Well they're 4 characters in Japanese/Korean/Spanish, 5 characters in English/Italian and 7 characters in Spanish. This is something we don't know since they can't be names of Pokemon, as no Spanish Pokemon name is different to an English Pokemon name as of Gen 5, and there's nothing too notable that can fit in each context. It's possible that it just refers to great events the king does and it's not something we need to know the specifics of, but if it's a descendant of the brothers who created the Unova region, then they might not be referring to the legendary dragons. The symbols themselves don't actually mean anything, since they translate specifically to the alphabet, so we can't really take their shape into account. In any case, it's a pretty interesting puzzle to think about. I like it. Anyway, let's get some loving MOOLAH!!!

I was told it was at the innermost part of the Abyssal Ruins! I think it is understandable that you-

You only get one Relic Crown, but he'll ask you every time you talk to him if you want to sell it, so gently caress it, gimme all that cash.

Bitchin. I'll keep one of every other item and not bother selling the Coppers, doing it one at a time is pretty annoying. If you do want to give him everything, then you get a tidy profit of $1,706,000, which will last us the entire game. Yes, you can go over 1 million to not limit you from selling all this stuff in one go. Finally, we can buy a bicycle!

Route 14 Summer

That's enough lore for one update, make sure to delete Dive and never use it again.

"It can manipulate an opponent's memory. Apparently, it communicates by flashing its three different-colored fingers."

There was a hidden item I was trying to pinpoint, but instead I ran into two encounters instead.

It wasn't in the grass anyway...

The amount of Fisherman and Swimmers we've fought in the last two updates...

You! It's impressive that you have a Super Rod!

We could stay on the lower end, but there's waterfalls, so let's use them!

Are you not making friends with Zekrom? There is a saying... if somewhere in this world there is someone who understands you, if feels like that person is right beside you, even if you're as far apart as the end of the land and the top of the sky. As my lord N and his Pokemon understand one another, so, too, do you and your Pokemon understand one another. Which is my reason for giving you this...

The legend of Unova is about Pokemon and people working together to build a new world! The message is that simple and that strong. If changing the world makes you a hero, anyone can become a hero. As each of us changes what is in our power to change, so the world itself changes.

Looker Appears

I am an officer of the International Police, and you must supply the information I request!

Indeed, I shall. Team Plasma changed me, but it could not change the world. I'm looking forward to seeing how you lot will do.

I beg you will accept my thanks! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but 4 of the Seven Sages still at large. What do they think of? What do they hope for? I am intensely interested to know this. To depart at once!

That's some deep stuff in a remote waterfall area. Now to shift completely to a random trainer battle.

what the gently caress

With the Pokemon move Waterfall, a Pokemon can climb a waterfall! ...there is not move called Mountainfall.

Abundant Shrine

Nestled deep in the mountains is this cool little place. As if we weren't distracted enough.

Very worthwhile to come here, though Hamlet already has this move. Still, this is the second BalmMushroom we can get, unless you fancy 1% chances, so we don't need to sell this.

Of course we'd find this as one of our last new water encounters. If you fancy your luck in rippling water you can also get both Slowbro and Slowking, very handy.

Now that's just rude...

I scrape my legs a lot 'cause I'm wearing shorts. But I'm fine! My Pokemon lick the scraped parts!

:yikes:

Remember when Chimecho was one of the rarest Pokemon in the game?

Sorry, my PC is a real stinker.

Ya ever poured boiling water on your flaming horse for fun and profit?

I was writing this and that on the wall. Oh, I will never show it to you! ...because it's my secret!

We've barely touched the Pokemon on Route 14 but this place has a bunch of new encounters as well.

I wonder how many mushrooms I actually have...

"so I want to have a battle with you!"

Neat.

The Pokemon called Burmy can change their forms depending on where they battle! Isn't that great??

What is a deity to a champion.

Hey get back here, you haven't kicked my rear end yet!

Great Landorus... is it a strong and kind Pokemon?

That's not true! The Pokemon that brings bad thunderstorms is a different Pokemon!

No, silly, you've got it wrong!

If you wreck the shrine, it can't punish that stormy Pokemon if it comes back!

But that doesn't make any sense! If a Pokemon does a bad thing, Great Landorus will come to help us, whether it has a shrine or not! You're the silly one!

They say that when Tornadus and Thundurus were whipping up storms that damaged houses and fields all over the Unova region, Landorus made them stop. That's a story from way long ago, when my grandpa was a little boy. So if Tornadus and Thundurus come here again, Great Landorus may come back. That's what my grandpa told me!

Hmm, we have one of them, but getting the other one could be tricky. It's not like I can just copy over the .pkm file in 5 seconds. Or can I?

We're not done with these areas just yet, but we'll be back in just a moment, after all how could I call myself a Pokemon fan if I didn't get a third genie???

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Uh wow, the Ruins have so much stuff to it, drat. A real hard puzzle, neat.

Also I never understood the "Get both legendaries from both games to unlock a third one" - like I understand version exclusives as an incentive to trade with friends and whatnot, but you can capture those. What sort of kid would give away his legendary?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Kikas posted:

Uh wow, the Ruins have so much stuff to it, drat. A real hard puzzle, neat.

Also I never understood the "Get both legendaries from both games to unlock a third one" - like I understand version exclusives as an incentive to trade with friends and whatnot, but you can capture those. What sort of kid would give away his legendary?

iirc you can get both of the other genies in one game?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

Have your Pokemon learned the move Dive? Dive is good! Great! 'Cause it's Dive!
pokemon NPCs really get me smiling sometimes :allears:

Leraika posted:

iirc you can get both of the other genies in one game?

No, they're full VE. There's no hidden event like with the Latias/Latios and the Eon Ticket.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

It's extremely on brand for gamefreak to go to an annoying amount of effort making an cipher (which few people will bother solving instead of looking it up on GameFAQs), and then have that cipher tell you how to solve their maze. Were they disappointed that people figured out the braille in gen 3 too fast?

Crosspeice posted:

yes

I heard that Cynthia swims secretly when nobody else is around. And I heard she is great! Just great!
:chast2b:
Wait, is that a loving Colosseum reference? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blaziken386 posted:

Wait, is that a loving Colosseum reference? :psyduck:

No. The Youngster's Japanese name is Kouta, rather than Leo.