Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I cannot believe it took them 5 generations until they finally called your rival the N word themselves.

Looking forward to another LP, i kinda skimmed the tail end of the TCG thread because it got very samey. Unlike gen V, my return point to the series after gen 2. I never had a GBA and got a DS a bit before launch of this game. Played it a lot, what I really like is that gym leaders here are more then just dude in a dojo, they really took effort to make then feel like characters this time. Also the region is pretty and the big twist coming right before the champion was enough to make this one feel fresh and intense, instead of the big bad thing happening right before and the E4 being an afterthought like in gen 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Ah yes, Team Plasma battle theme, one of the best drat songs in the Pokemon franchise. Seriously, if you missed that link, click it, it's a treat. Unbelievable how they did pull out all the stops for this gen with the music.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Black Robe posted:

The summaries of pokemon catches here show another reason why I'm not fond of this gen. Almost everything you catch will either be good at some far distant time or would be good if only it was allowed to have decent moves. You're facing a long depressing slog of things constantly dying to a stiff breeze while doing chip damage until you reach the magic tipping point where your team becomes actually usable.

Oh yeah gen v has the big issue of "the level curve is absolute shite" across the board. Stuff either evolves or gets necessary or signature moves wayyyyyyyyy too late to be ever relevant to 75% of the players and the remaining 25% just hacked in mons for online play anyway. They dropped the ball on this hard. This is why most people say this is one of the hardest generations, but a lot if people see it as a positive. It's a mixed bag for sure.
I think the late movesets and evolutions are here so people don't abuse HA mons but those were also almost impossible to get. Lots weird decisions here in this game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hey that Whirlipede card has some wrong info on it in the name section, they seem to be referring to Venipede.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Allosauroidea posted:

Wow. I didn’t know that attack preview just sold out Zoroark like that. That seems like an oversight on GF’s part, they can’t have intentionally tried to make this ability that they clearly thought was the coolest thing absolutely useless.

It does and there's even a Zoroark fight in the main games, so I was sure attack preview was bugging out.

Attack preview only works if you've seen the pokemon you're fighting against beforehand. However, in this case, to see a preview against a disguised Zoroark, you just needed to have seen the Pokémon it disguises as.
So it's a double whammy, you don't even need to remember Zoroark exists for attack preview to completely obliterate it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
That Soft Sand guy is my favourite item giver of the series, because:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Hi, I'll keep posting here as long as this place still stands, this is where I have an audience after all and, uh, the next update is halfway done. Hopefully there's a really popular offsite that everyone goes to worse case scenario, but I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, I've invested too much into my next 2 LPs to just stop there, but after that might be the end, who knows. In any case, I'm mostly active on the Etrian Odyssey Discord where I'll post new updates regardless. Hopefully this wonderful community can pry this forum from Lowtax's awful, lovely hands and we can continue like usual!

My dude, I'm sticking with this LP through thick and thin, this kind of content was why I joined and noone can poo poo on the amazing LP community that has grown here in SA.

And come on, we have to enjoy the biggest curveball when it comes to Gyms in the series, I love the upcoming one.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So yeah. Imagine you picked Snivy, got to evolve to to Servine after getting mauled to death by every Bug imaginable and the constant onslaught of the fire monkeys and you hit this gym and go "Finally, a place for my starter to shine!"
Ow.
Double ow once you're weary of Emolgas and the Zebrastika comes in so you go "okay this thing doesn't fly and it's pure electric - okay now this is a chance for my Servine!"
But no, Flame Charge. WHY?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well tynamo is pretty cute.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
John cause that's my kids name...

Ahaha, I figured there was no special music for that Bell, I clicked the link and was pleasantly suprised.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
You have Trubbish's description in Garbodors' card.

Man I don't think I've ever been to any of these places, I usually rush through water sections in Pokemon so I probably saw the 2 optional routes and went "nope".

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Level Seven posted:

Aren't they called Geodude?

Yeah, Geodude makes sense

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Ohhh the best part is coming, The Badge Gates! I was blown away when I went through them.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Given I skipped Gen IV games, this was my first exposure to Cynthia.

Still hate her :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Uh wow, the Ruins have so much stuff to it, drat. A real hard puzzle, neat.

Also I never understood the "Get both legendaries from both games to unlock a third one" - like I understand version exclusives as an incentive to trade with friends and whatnot, but you can capture those. What sort of kid would give away his legendary?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I love Gen 5 but I'm pretty sure it has the highest concentration of :psyduck: design decisions of any generation. The BW2 difficulty modes, Black City/White Forest, Musicals, the whole Snarl thing...

Yeah it's the point where the games got wild. Some of the best ideas clash with some of the worst ideas, like the evolution levels.

Haifisch posted:

And I know that overly complicated intergen transfer methods were also a thing in Gen 4(and were somehow even worse in DPt, which only let you transfer six mons every 24 hours), but I still have no idea why Gamefreak thought any of them were a good idea. It's cute maybe twice before you start resenting it and wishing you could just transfer your mons with no fuss.

I think that the logic was that you would only transfer a few favourites and never both with importing your whole collection. Also Gamefreak was and is obsessed with gimmicks for their games, they try to put them in everywhere they can. I kinda like them, as long as they are accessible for a single player, since every attempt other than just battling is complete rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
And another one down. Next one is B2W2? Or straight into XY?
Great content as always, Gen V was packed with so much stuff I missed like half of it. I did finish it once, but I don't recall beating Adler. Thanks for showing off all the battle facilites, I never had patience for those.