Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lol haha its michigan maybe theyll just

ford the river

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
^lmao owned

https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/status/1263129854960111618

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

No lmao those bastards got the dang welcome sign

Lmfao dam these guys are being done dirty

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So does the dam owner just send Midland a bill for all the water they've received or what? And is it filed as a rental or straight purchase?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

he'll buy the town after they foreclose and make a luxury arcology in its place

then he will tie the condo fees into dam maintenance and go cause another natural disaster thru controlled negligence somewhere else

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJm-DL40G0

Fairuza Bulk

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol honestly gently caress the gently caress out of that dam owner and all the greasy small town palms that signed that deal without a way to maintain the thing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Robo Reagan posted:

does this happen anywhere in the world or is it a US idea

Spain owns a significant stake in the 407 (a toll highway) in Canada.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Robo Reagan posted:

It was Rahm Emanuel's great idea to throw away a shitload of future revenue for a single one time budget fix

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You call it negligence I call it job creation. Thanks to this heroic dam owner, there will be thousands new jobs in construction, burying people and various medical fields

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mental Hospitality posted:

I love that private entities build and maintain infrastructure that has the power to kill and destroy if it fails. Yes I sure am happy to be free of that 50 cent annual tax burden. What could possibly go wrong?

*floats away on sofa*

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ChadLivengood/s...ingawful.com%2F

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Always waterproof your containment ponds

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Huh maybe US is gonna get its own version of Bhopal disaster :magical:

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Robo Reagan posted:

The train companies in England are owned by the nationlised ones in mainland European countries.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
free conversion into protainment ponds

naem
May 29, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

is the city rich or will it be left to die a slow death like flit

dow chemical’s headquarters were there (as one of the only reliable employers in the area) but that location’s footprint was reduced when they merged or were bought out or whatever

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

It was Rahm Emanuel's great idea to throw away a shitload of future revenue for a single one time budget fix

Nah, that was a Richard M move. 99 year lease on parking meter fees for 1.15b, which is a crazy discount considering how much the private company has increased parking rates in the decade since.
I have a lot of affection for the Daleys, weirdly, but M sold off a LOT of city services in his last 2-3 years (also every year before, it was just more brazen once he was in his last term).
I still think Meig’s Field was a baller move though, reclaiming private land for public parks in the middle of the night was 👌

E: sorry about your dams and also making the classic ignore-the-rest-of-the-Midwest Chicago move.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 20, 2020

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

Huh maybe US is gonna get its own version of Bhopal disaster :magical:

Well, we can be sure that no white collar executives will be held responsible for any of this.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

dem failures lead to dam failures

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Nah, that was a Richard M move. 99 year lease on parking meter fees for 1.15b, which is a crazy discount considering how much the private company has increased parking rates in the decade since.
I have a lot of affection for the Daleys, weirdly, but M sold off a LOT of city services in his last 2-3 years (also every year before, it was just more brazen once he was in his last term).
I still think Meig’s Field was a baller move though, reclaiming private land for public parks in the middle of the night was 👌

Yeah, I visited chicago right after the whole Meig’s Field thing and I thought it was hilarious

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

the last time a dam was gonna burst there was a thread with like 50 pages worrying on it and then it never blew. telling that now a dam actually bursts and the world has gone so utterly loving insane that it's 3 pages celebrating the chaos. death is certain :getin:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Apparently this is the guy that owns the dams.

lol just gently caress it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pure michigan

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
that repair bill was just too dam high

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

no way, the john galt hat is way too on the nose

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
If the guy owns the dam, makes money from selling power generated by the dam, and is responsible for maintaining the dam, then he should be liable for the damages caused by his dam failure. However, the fact the guy can own a dam and refuse to maintain it without punishment seems like a problem in the first place.

naem
May 29, 2011

welcome to money and politics in semi-rural sections of flyover states

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

you can own a dam???

Can you own nuclear power plants too?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

naem posted:

welcome to money and politics in semi-rural sections of flyover states

it looks like the main flyover corridor roughly goes from montana to mississippi to west virginia

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Ain't never been no private nuclear station meltdown unlike that commie Chernobyl, the facts speak for themselves!

naem
May 29, 2011

sure okay posted:

you can own a dam???

power generation is a private for-profit industry

California’s own PG&E let their natural gas pipelines decay until they exploded several neighborhoods a few years ago, and their 100 year old power lines now consistently burn down half the state every year

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*every 10-year old in the car on the way to their grandparents right now*

say again why we had to leave

"because of the dam"

HAhHAhahHAHAahhHAahhHHA

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Only the luck of the Irish can fix this. Bring back Kilpatrick

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

sure okay posted:

you can own a dam???

Do you never watched the Simpsons?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

sure okay posted:

you can own a dam???

Hey, when you can run private prisons for profit, why stop there?
Why not buy the government?

Oh, wait. That market's saturated. :(

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Mental Hospitality posted:

Apparently this is the guy that owns the dams.

lol just gently caress it.

If we literally have "John Galt" hats on "I'm not paying for repairs" that lead to millions suffering, have we reached guillotine leve...

I kid, I know we never will.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

According to my wife's dad it's somehow the fault of government bureaucracy that this privately-owned dam failed. They wanted to fix it, but the government wouldn't let them!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Was a Homeowner's Association really responsible for the dam? Because if so lmao at them, the State of Michigan, and all of us in America for being such stupid idiots that regularly turn parody into reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Captain Quack posted:

Do you never watched the Simpsons?

Yeah fair point.

I guess there's a divide in my mind between "major publically owned company owns this dangerous thing and decisions around that thing are made in shareholder meetings" and "some rear end in a top hat with a John Galt cap owns this thing and can just open it up and demolish homes at his whim" because the latter sound extremely unlikely but then again here we are