Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

What's a war hero got to do to get some lubrication around here?

I met James Hewlett at the hospital last year, he was with his wife and son because his son had broke his arm skiing. I had a good chat with them and he was super personable and was cool to talk to. I jokingly asked him now that Jason Momoa is a huge star, does he talk to him and he said he does and actually brought him and his son to the Aquaman set. That's cool.

But yea, Stargate is a fantastic show if someone wants fun, not too up its own rear end sci-fi adventure. It's smart, it can get deep. It's episodic and serialized at the same time. It can be insanely funny but also serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

you should remedy this asap, Farscape is top tier

A cool think about Farscape is Critchen is a scientist so the approach to things is not just shoot poo poo. If I had one complaint about the show is that the concept of taking away someones paint was really popular among the writers and was used a lot and treated as an amazing god like ability.

I really like the Fargate seasons. It was a good shakeup of the show, and I wish It had lasted a bit longer. I did like the joke from the early part of the seasons about how Ben Browder and Michael Shanks are both handsome in the exact same way.

Its really neat at how they build the universe. Normally an episode is they go somewhere where people are just like some ancient culture from earth live, fight a Goa'uld, either Carter or Jackson uses their science to win the day and Teal'c and Jack run interference. Slowly little bits are added, we get hints of the Ancients, and the Asgard get mentioned. I love that last one because when you see "Thor" for the first time, you can see the hints of who he is really.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

Stargate would have been really different if they tried it serious all the time

They were gonna need a lot more boobs

The full frontal nudity in the first episode was always surprising.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Didn't Jack say poo poo or gently caress at one point too?

Something I liked about the show is they had a good excuse for why earth weapons were effective against the Jaffa, because Goa'uld tech was made to intimidate and scare people, not be efficient.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

But...chainmail doesnt protect against arrows.

As other have said, chainmail will, plus it was chain and plate. And not only that, made from some kind of space metal. Plus Jaffa have a healing factor so getting poked with some sticks isn't going to put them out of action as much as a dozen 9mm from a p90.
I am pretty sure SG1 is what put p90s on the cultural map.

Bucnasti posted:

"This is a weapon of War."
"This is a weapon of Terror."

I love Stargate, but by far my favorite thing was the continuity, they developed and adapted, and they didn't forget about what happened in the last episode.
I cant count how many times on other shows would they would face a problem that could be easily solved by some doodad or whatsit they found in a previous episod, but on SG1 they were like "Lets go talk to that god we met last year and see if they can help."

That was great. And you can see their tech develop more and more because they're learning more and more until the end humans have intergalatic space ships.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Okay legit thought p90s used 9mm, I am now more knowledgeable.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Wasn't his son one of the producers?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Peter DeLuise. Also Jerry Goldsmith's son Joel Goldsmith did the music for SG-1 and Atlantis.

And his other son was the guy in Wormhole X-treme. Also I think both of them were in the second season of SeaQuest.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Tighclops posted:

Chris Judge seems like he'd be a blast to go drinking with

He is a giant of a man. I remember the panel at a con I saw him at he was talking about how he wished Teal'C would get to be more relaxed and informal.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

That was the point when they were starting to put wrestling and ghost hunting shows because it was cheap and popular rather than scripted shows right? Not to mention didn't NBC Universal also put some high school jock bro exec in charge who was all "science fiction is bad and for weird stinky nerds who don't have sex *shotguns a beer* can we put football on this channel?". Okay that's overstating but I do remember him being pretty down on the content of the channel. It's kinda hilarious in hindsight because very, very soon that stupid nerd stuff is going to be the biggest thing on earth and make billions.

I can totally believe that MGM may have wanted SGU canceled because they were in huge financial distress at the time, I fogot why, was it they leveraged their debt against future sales of their classic movies or something?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, SyFy hard passed on multiple pitches for several Star Trek shows, a live action Star Wars TV show, and cancelled The Expanse. All of which are now making dump truck convoys of money for Paramount, Disney, and Amazon, respectively, while Universal... Well, you can watch reruns of The Office and 30 Rock on their streaming platform now, right?

gently caress me, SyFy is/was duuuuuuumbp. Yes, with a p. Because they're that loving dumb.

They can't really be blamed for not predicting in 2008 Iron Man would come out and be a huge hit and start a nerd poo poo renaissance and takeover. But what is unforgivable is them completely abandoning the branding of the channel and contributing to media homogenization.

Stargate would be perfect for a resurrection right now. It wouldn't be hard to make a new story with a new threat and a new reason to start up the Stargate Program. It already had both a serialized and episodic format, so they can easily work with that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

our irl timeline is the dark one, if we get another stargate, the main bad guys will be some new version of replicators.

Yea there's real monkey's paw potential there.

Also the guy who played Apothis was in the Expanse, briefly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Goblin Craft posted:

Brad Wright has been talking for a while about a new show in the same continuity in development, but who knows when covid will permit actual production.

It and B5 really could come back and just pick up where the old shows left off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Jazerus posted:

this sounds like it would actually own, in the exact way that this scene is incredible

https://i.imgur.com/G7VNPbj.gifv

God when if first watched Sherlock i really liked it, but then i rewatched it last summer because I had not watched the last season, and yea, the first season has some pretty great stuff going on, but poo poo like that is just wacky and totally out of character for any version of Holmes. It's very much in the autism is magic kind of filming that I'm sure people on the spectrum find insulting.

Honestly, its probably more Martin Freeman than anything.

I know a lot of people at the time hated that by the end of SG1, Earth was a galactic power but honestly, I loved it. It was a great journey to see earth completely outmatched by an ancient and technological empire but pulling wins out that built more and more until boom, they're on their power level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Fivemarks posted:

There was just this brief period of time in the early 2000's where, if you wanted your villain to have an intimidating voice, you got Christopher Judge to voice them. Like Magneto, in the best X-Men cartoon.

I was just talking about this on the Talking Simpsons discord. He really should be the go to voice of any intimidating character.