Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If you would have told me at the start of the year that I would be really bummed out about Britt Baker possibly getting less screen time I wouldn't have believed you but here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Didn't get to watch the show but the clips I've seen from it are amazing and I want to catch it at some point.

I'm unfamiliar with Brian Cage - for those of you that knew of him before this was he a good choice for a surprise entrant? I know AEW's fanbase tends to probably be mostly made of fans that also watch indies but after hyping a surprise entrant and then delivering someone I had never heard of I didn't know if he would have gotten a big reaction with a crowd or not.

I imagine the GDT probably exploded because of the knowledge level here though. Is he generally seen as good?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thank you everyone for the responses - good to know he's a great addition to the roster. I look forward to watching the show when I'm able to. That stampede match sounded like a match of the decade candidate.

ChrisBTY posted:

He was thusly described as 'Scott Steiner in his prime without the problematic stuff'. As far as I'm concerned that's one of the biggest endorsements you can get.

Your first sentence here sold me on him - you're definitely speaking my language

yea ok posted:

he's a big hulking sucker of a fucker and he kicks rear end

Yours too, it hits different but speaks to me just the same lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I dunno if it was mentioned during the match at all by commentary or whatever but the heels being all suited up in football gear and the faces just showing up in their normal wrestling gear was a very funny visual to me and storytelling wise it showed that the Inner Circle always works as one unified group/team

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Petit Gregory posted:

Not only did commentary acknowledge it, they pointed out that IC had the advantage because they were wearing actual protective gear.

lol that's awesome and reminds me of Norman Smiley showing up to WCW street fights wearing full football pads and hockey gear

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

So the TNT belt wasn't a final version? That's a good thing because that is not a good looking belt and after the world title being one of the best belts I've ever seen that was a real misfire

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think they heard the immediate and unanimous backlash about how hideous it was and called an immediate audible.

Good, that belt needs a complete re-do regardless of how they got there

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

The side plates looked fine and if they can add that kind of detail to the face plate, it might end up looking fine.

However, it sure was a garbage rear end looking belt as it appeared on the show

Wasn't the sideplate like a plantation house - that's what it looked like

lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah they should probably just go back to the drawing board I like the WWF Eagle Belt sides on the main plate but the rest oof

If it is legitimately unfinished it will be interesting to see how/if they salvage it in the final version

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

blunt posted:

It's Ted Turner's house.

Seriously.

lol I don't know if that's better or worse or somehow both. They've course corrected everything else so well so far I have no doubt they'll make it look good eventually.

I also think making the women's title so tiny was a mistake so hopefully that gets redesigned at some point too. Thank you for visiting my AEW Belts Ted Talk

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 24, 2020

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

blunt posted:

https://streamable.com/e/o7c0yw

Everybody getting their fucks in last night.

lol Tony is so good

"I can't say gently caress on here?"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

drat I want to say the pool spot was extremely fun and cool but the timing on that ouch

AEW being able to pull off comedy AND supernatural at the same time without it coming across as lame is pretty amazing. I have to imagine that was a Matt Hardy idea.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The line roller spot with Jericho and Page and the commentary team just taking a minute to break commentary to laugh their asses off is one of my favorite AEW moments so far

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Whoever told me that was ted turners house well played I guess

That or you were misled too

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It was a country club, then it was abandoned, then Ted Turner lived there, now it's the center of the Turner corporate campus in atlanta. That building itself is not a studio, but said studios are in the same location.

edit: Actually doing some digging they might at one time have had studios in that building. Ted Turner did live there in some capacity and period of time at least so calling it Ted Turners House is not exactly wrong but doesn't quite convey the overall importance it might have to AEW or wrestling on TNT.

Oh dang

In that case sorry to whoever told me that you were right

Edit: It was blunt. Sorry blunt, you were right.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

Tyson is doing 0 for AEW so I assume this is all marketing poo poo to announce a Tyson fight airing on some Turner network.

Yeah Tyson has a charity fight he's currently training for and this is just getting him back into the mainstream to start to promote that

I'm not defending Tyson at all but I'm also not going to "was always bad" AEW because their network might want them to put him on television a few times before this fight. It's not a good look but at least he'll have a few appearances and go away.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I hope Jericho does break it down on his podcast hearing him explain it would be the most entertaining way to deliver the behind the scenes unless there was like a complete making of, which they probably wouldn't do

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

After Nyla holding it for a while it's weird to see someone who can wear the belt as a belt and not a necklace

I still think the belt is too tiny and was obviously designed for Riho, the tiniest warrior

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol they recreated the revival outfits just for a two minute joke on BTE

The effort that goes into these videos

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Also I just noticed the inner circle's end zone had comic sans, the heelest of fonts

Edit: Wait how the hell does Kaz have a full head of hair now when the last time I saw him he had just a few patches left

Hair restoration lookin' good

Edit 2: That vanguard funeral should have been on Dynamite it's amazing

The Cutler speech about his contract is great too, what an emotional moment

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 26, 2020

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's good that Double Or Nothing did well because it was a great show that they put a lot of work and effort into making entertaining and they should be rewarded for making a PPV show worth the money and time the fans spend watching it unlike WWE who goes least amount of effort for a glorified episode of monday night raw because they don't care if people enjoy it or not

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

You can be one side or the other about liking the product AEW is putting out and if it's not for you that's completely fine but one thing that can't be denied is that Tony Kahn and Cody, Kenny and The Bucks (And Jericho, etc) have made it clear that they're out to make a show people have fun watching that doesn't insult your intelligence as a fan or waste your time and it seems like the entire roster comes together to put their own ideas and creative input into the show to put out a product they're all proud of and having fun producing.

Hopefully a few years from now it's still that way.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah all those 'finished' images of the belt that have been circulating so far are fan edits where they 'fixed' the belt

I don't think the belts original design should be kept but here's to hoping they fancy it up somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Looks like they are joking though so that's better than the usual worked twitter nonsense