Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Neodoomium posted:

Dani Jordyn's got a good gimmick for that idea

Anna Jay would be my choice for that specific scenario but she was in the Face section last night so I wonder if they are planning on starting her off that way, which wouldn't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

smarxist posted:

it's not like Kris vs Britt was a huge build, Britt just went psycho on her in the 4-way so they got the PPV match, i'm happy to watch Kris wrestle anyone, especially if they book it super close with lots of nearfalls

That is at least some build as opposed to anything else they'll be able to manage on such short notice. Swole would probably the best choice in terms of experience and pre-virus visibility but there's really nothing to draw on to make it PPV level.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah as much as I love Britt doing her thing with a protege as an idea, the Luchasaurus thing where someone with a moderate to severe injury came back too quickly makes me grind my teeth.

Let her heal.

Definitely keep her out of the ring until she's 100% (or as close to as a knee injury will allow) but also keep her on the show as much as is feasible. She's on a roll and it would be a shame to lose the character work momentum she has.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's hard to get a good look at it (mercifully) but once you work out what happened it's pretty skin-crawly, at least if you're a little squeamish about knee injuries.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Wasn't he part of the Cody Crew during Cody's extra indulgent entrance at Revolution?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I don't object to a title change at an empty audience PPV like this, I object to these specific champions dropping their titles when they haven't had a chance for the sort of reigns they deserve (through no fault of theirs.)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Rey Fenix reminding you to complete your census

https://youtu.be/uRVFT-VR2uc

AEW is the company of wholesome content.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Sammy's probably like a step below that with maybe Orange Cassidy. They're both odd cases in that they haven't been treated very seriously as competitors but they've clearly both shown they're capable of it and it wouldn't take much for people to "take them seriously."

Yeah I feel like Sammy would need two good matches and a Jericho promo to be main event hot.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Lamuella posted:

Honestly I think Sammy is enjoying his current spot a lot. He gets to do all the mad poo poo in the world, gets to hang out with and learn from one of the greatest legends in the business, and gets a fuckton of TV time. WWE have tarnished the idea of someone being so good you could pull the trigger on them any time, but it's genuinely true of Sammy.

He's clearly having the time of his life and rightfully so and when his time comes he's going to be so loving prepared it will be unreal. He's got so much natural skill and charisma and he is learning so much from the veterans around him, especially Jericho, his time is going to be a supernova (provided he doesn't kill himself for our entertainment first.)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I miss PAC and I hope he can come back this year and get a good push.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

karmicknight posted:

An actually great idea and a good use of the limitations of quarantine for storytelling. My thing is, does Fenix cut promos in Spanish that are subtitled during the build, does he cut promos in Spanish "live" during the build, does he cut promos in his non-native language, or does Mox handle the bulk of the promo-work? That is basically where my objection to Fenix lies, he's got a wonderful body of work but him alone vs. Mox results in the two of them really having nothing keeping them apart, so the feud will have to involve interviews to promote it (rather than Moxley running through a faction, again., or doing preview tags)

Being nearly to the end of the first season of Lucha Underground, I'd like to see more subtitled promos. Pentagon Jr. cut some good promos and even if you're not interested in the subtitles you get the gist of it really clearly. It would help the women's division too; Shida's English has come a long way but she's definitely not comfortable enough to just let fly. I don't know that there's much to be done live but there's no reason not to just go for it with the pre-recs. Plus it would be cool to see AEW be proudly and unabashedly multilingual, it's something I'm digging about LU. Just go for it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

To be clear, I don't have a problem with AEW using Brodie Lee. I just am not yet sold on his character or this very quick and dirty program with Moxley and very unearned title opportunity.

It actually strikes me that before Moxley's reign a thing we all liked is that it felt like title shots were all largely "earned" in some way. And with Hager and Brodie it feels much more like the "has a title shot because they want it" thing. I think AEW is trying to book Moxley as a fighting champion vs Jericho who avoided fights, but I haven't been sold on either challenger so far. Hopefully that turns around with this ladder match.

There's definitely an element of pandemic panic to the bookings, though it feels that way more with Hager than Mr. Brodie even though I think they had Hager planned for in advance of the shutdown (he is bad though so maybe it's my antipathy driving that.) With Lee there's a story there and even though it kinda goes against the ostensible process of earning a title shot it at least makes sense for the characters. It's also gonna be a banger of a match so big yee haw.

smarxist posted:

we did get a classic Mox Moment out of it tho,

*while extremely beat to poo poo* dude... all you had to do was ask

S-tier no selling right there. Absolutely masterful.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Hoss talk: I'd like to see more of Wardlow myself (not horny) (maybe a little horny, as a treat) he's only had, what two or three matches, but from that limited exposure he sure looks like he's got the goods for a real hoss-off.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Well it's not meanspirited, but is kinda confusing to people who don't know what you're talking about, so I guess I am on board with it.

Give it two GDTs and every time you see him will be like this

https://twitter.com/vineyille/status/580036338164039681

It's honestly delightful.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

They're quality shirts at least, like the shirts themselves are higher quality than your average merch shirts. I think they also employ at least a few indie wrestlers in the shop and I think Freelance Wrestling's school is on their premises (they've definitely got a ring in there at least) so they do real good for Chicago wrestlers.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I still like Spears, he's not a top-tier wrestler but he's far from the worst one on the roster, he's a really funny and has a knack for physical comedy, and has been a great ringside presence throughout the pandemic filming. That match was dumb as hell and barely worthy of being on Dark. I laughed at some of it but that speaks to my being juvenile more than to the quality of the bit.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I think it has to be something like an expansion of Dark with more character stuff; part of the appeal of AEW seems to be the light workload for the performers so as much as I want more wrasslin' I don't want them to overextend their schedule demands. Plus, I just like all the extracurricular stuff that they and the talent put out so just gimme more of that with another two or three matches maybe.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

coconono posted:

being told the new AEW show will be called Swinger's Party in which everyone writes their name put it into a bowl. Fans can vote who wrestles. Each time a wrestler comes out to work, they have to pull a name from the bowl. That is who they have to wrestle as. So you could have Marko Stunt(as played by Lance Archer) vs Lance Archer(as played by Orange Cassidy)

I'd actually kinda like to watch that.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

And where Crockett filmed wrestling I think I saw.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That is deeply upsetting.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Is there anyone in AEW worth caring about who is not a colossal dork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Pylons posted:

Is Fenix a dork?

I mean, his brother is a spooky skeleton wizard so there's got to be at least some proximity bleed.