Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This is an interesting thing to stumble upon 7am on a Sunday.

So someone already pointed out what I was waiting until I caught up to point out, but some of the people involved in this project actually have a real-rear end career. Erica Awano (#4 artist) and Daniel HDR (#2 cover) are the two that come to mind. Erica drew a Brazilian manga called Holy Avenger, inspired on an RPG system called Tormenta, and it was a pretty popular national comic book. Like, she was the guest of honor on 2018's Feira Internacional de Quadrinhos (FIQ), which is the biggest comics convention in Brazil.

Daniel HDR has drawn for Marvel, DC, Image and other companies, and now also runs a studio and teaches university courses on drawing. I know this because he's a pretty frequent guest on a podcast I listen to and he seems like an all-around cool dude. He's been doing live drawings during the pandemic, like this Goku: https://twitter.com/danielhdr/status/1254147885698027520

Oh, something that kinda went unnoticed: a lot of the artists that worked on this comic were either in high school or had just finished it. The reason why each issue has a different artist is because the editor-in-chief wanted to "give new talents a chance", which kinda sounds to me like he actually wanted cheap labor.

edit: ah, the other "good artist" in these issues is a guy called Rogério Hanata, who I can't find anything on so I'm not sure if he still works in comics, BUT

I did find this 2017's Nastenka art by him:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2646716898982856&set=a.1499004507087440&type=3

Dias fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Warbird posted:

If you click through to the hashtag on that Facebook post you can see what appears to be X doing a familiar pose from earlier in this comic. Phone screen was too small, seems like I was looking at the Protoman sketch? Though we do have our female lead represented and thankfully fully clothed.

Doesn't look like I can direct embed it.

I wonder if he'd be willing to speak about his involvement in the project? I may have been a bit overzealous on my critique of the art if they're pulling in folks straight out of school. Punching down is no fun.

The artist for #5 was in her freshman year of high school, apparently she would've been 15 at the time if my math checks out. That info is on the artist bios at the end of each issue, so I didn't do any weird stalking, haha.

I found this video (by the dude working on that MMX fangame with Nastenka, BTW) explaining the history of the series. It's got spoilers for the end of the series, but it's pretty interesting to understand the cultural context and what they were going for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYZSHaMkJ60&hd=1

Apparently they only got to do it on the condition that it would be fully unpaid for, which...explains a lot.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Coolness Averted posted:

Besides being really bad I've got a few theories as to why there's so much tonal shifting and every issue seeming to skip very important stuff
1. The artists are only given the vaguest of outlines as to what the story is for the issue and have to fill in the rest themselves, then when the final art comes in the writers have to make up a new story that fits the art they got
2. They're on a tight enough budget and schedule there actually are missing issues. Because they were offering pocket change to students someone who was supposed to draw some of those battles we skipped flaked or were fired -just like princess's writer. There could've also been other editorial gently caress ups like telling an artist they had 2 more pages than they really did.

It was funny seeing stuff like X being chained to the wall in the issue that was totally inspired by the giant feet and hands late 90's more cartoony western comics like cyberfrog, the maxx, and Impulse, then magically part of the betrayers in the next issue.

There's no budget. They're working for free. For real, it's how they got the license.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Light Gun Man posted:

I guess we could have said "nuts"

Nuts would be better, yeah.

It's kinda funny seeing something get scanlated but it's in your native language this time around, haha.