Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I guess it depends on how you want to define "best". If you go by charts you're essentially trying to democratize the process, but this is problematic (e.g. listeners don't exactly have a say in what they hear on the radio...it's more complicated than that and there's often a LOT of money involved, so it's not really as democratic as it seems). If you go by critical opinions you will probably not be hearing anything about "Shinedown" (who the gently caress?) or Nickelback, despite these bands (probably) topping charts left and right. But by deferring to experts you're putting a lot of faith in a field that has a low barrier to entry and very little intellectual rigor (this is a good thing). Lastly, you can interpret "best" as "my personal favorite" and then answer it in whatever way makes you happy.

It's Sleater-Kinney, hands down BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
"Ed Sheeran sounds like Bright Eyes" is an observation I would never expect to evaluate. I'm pretty familiar with Bright Eyes, and I can maybe identify Ed Sheeran based on a couple of songs I know from the radio...but I just don't see it. Bright Eyes is like emo mixed with John Prine, and Ed Sheeran just sounds like your everyday sweaty R&B mixed with folk-I-guess. That's just my own observation though. I'm willing to hear examples supporting the idea that there is a connection to be made between the two.