Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have literally never heard of "Shinedown" or "Volbeat" in my entire life and I'm convinced this is an alien pranking me right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

empty baggie posted:

I’d say that this is mostly a fair assessment as their first three albums were definitely college rock fodder, but I’d say by 1986 when R.E.M. released Life’s Rich Pageant, the band was firmly into rock territory, and that album and the next, Document, should be considered two of the best rock albums of the 80’s. With 1989’s Green, the band evolved into more of a pop sound, but was still a solid album, and lead into 1991’s release Out of Time, which was a major change in sound and brought them back to their college rock/alternative roots, but also saw them solidly hit the mainstream. A better argument could be made that R.E.M. were the definitive 90’s alternative band, but I still say that, considering the theme of this thread, and taking into account the bands entire library, you will not find a more consistent, successful, and meaningful band since 1981.

I think if you are going by this metric it's U2.