Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

The answer is Phish

Yeah its this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Serious replies only in this thread

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

Isn't the answer Iron Maiden?

No cuz their best stuff was before 1981, so the correct answer is Phish.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I can’t tell queens of the Stone Age and foo fighters apart. Does that mean they have to share billing as the best band since 1981?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Motley Crue sucks.

GNR I get. It's roots rock n' roll with a metal punch for the working man.

Vince Neil solo is where it’s at

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Santana

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

Simple, the Traveling Wilburys. Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, and Tom Petty in one group? That's more talent than some concert tours. Plus, Handle With Care is a legit banger.

Willburys 3 wasn’t very good though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

It was okay. But if you look at the other stuff they were doing at the time - Roy Orbison's Mystery Girl, Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever - that included the other Wilburys in some effect, that more than makes up for Vol. 3. I Won't Back Down, You Got It? All feature at least 3 of the Wilburys.

And Vol. 3 gave us You Took My Breath Away, and that's more than worth it.

Yeah but how does that hold up to Santana’s post-1981 output

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

precision posted:

Pixies is a better answer than Dinosaur Jr. imo unless you put the caveat "the only Dinosaur Jr albums that count are the ones with Barlow on them"

Hard disagree

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Frank black solo is better than pixies

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

precision posted:

i don't even know how to respond to this

You could nod and put on your copy of The Golem

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The pixies had a couple of good albums. They’re not even the best rock band from Massachusetts post 1981.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Disco Pope posted:

I love Sonic Youth, or at least some of their stuff, but I don't think they have the mainstream appeal or consistency to take the best band title. Pixies are close, but they burned out too fast.

Agreed, guess we have to give it to phish. Nice work everyone!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Disco Pope posted:

Like, this is pure pub music bore thinking on my part, but I think you need a level of critical acclaim, popular recognition, influence, consistency (you can't have been poo poo for 20 of the 25 years you've existed) and something of a myth and celebrity to be considered the best rock band. But by this rubric, that leaves, like Nirvana? I mean, sure, but what a boring answer.

Maybe if they stopped after bleach.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The answer is Type O Negative

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That settles it then, Type O Negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

precision posted: