Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

20 Blunts posted:

the Brian Jonestown Massacre

Correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's obviously Spiritualized anyway. Anyone who's seen them live knows this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Murmur was always one of my least favorites. They were my favorite band at a certain extremely 90s high school point in my life and Michael Stipe is at least half the reason I'm queer, but I really only listened to Fables, LRP, And especially Document.

Document fuckin whips rear end. I still listen to it a lot.

Green had a few of their best and worst songs, Out of time was even more wildly inconsistent, automatic was great, monster was VERY great, new adventures in hi fi is probably my second favorite to Document. Everything after that is pretty bad tho

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
U2 had far too many outright bad albums and their absolute best, Zooropa, is considered a footnote even by fans of the band

Which is honestly nuts because it's brilliant.

Edit: also, wow I'm dumb because just now, after 27 years, I'm realizing that Zooropa is a play on Europa

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've heard Kim Deal say a lot of poo poo about Black Francis but him being misogynist is new. I think he's just a general, all purpose rear end in a top hat, like J Mascis.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Keith Atherton posted:

Deftones aren’t mailing it in

Pavement?
Interpol?

Pavement's last couple albums were lazy as gently caress and while they're fine, they really only had two great records (CRCR and Wowee Zowee)

You could maybe make an argument for Beck. He captures the junky, random mess of crap that America consists of pretty well

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

well why not posted:

it's metallica

If they had broken up in 1988, sure

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

:hmmyes:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sean10mm posted:

Move the line back to 1979, declare Motorhead the winner, gas thread.

Hawkwind have a song called "Motorhead", yet Motorhead do not have a song called "Hawkwind".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Legendary Pink Dots have released like 100 albums nonstop since 1981 and they're all good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BigFactory posted:

Serious replies only in this thread

The Del Fuegos

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Violent Femmes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kyuss

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JnnyThndrs posted:

Sonic loving Youth.

https://youtu.be/_BOp4luu40o

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ferrule posted:

"Jennifer Lost the War" tragically missing...ergo...

That's the only good Offspring song

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Disco Pope posted:

In every possible sense, it's The Replacements. Or maybe Dinosaur Jr.

Pixies is a better answer than Dinosaur Jr. imo unless you put the caveat "the only Dinosaur Jr albums that count are the ones with Barlow on them"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dacap posted:

"the only Pixies albums that count are the ones with Kim Deal on them"

i mean, that's just a given

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BigFactory posted:

Frank black solo is better than pixies

i don't even know how to respond to this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Hold Steady might actually be a fine answer if they had delivered on the promise that Boys and Girls in America showed but i feel like their entire career has just been treading water. like what happened to Pearl Jam.

i can't even remember if i've listened to the latest Hold Steady, or what it's called, and i probably would have at one point said they were one of my favorite bands :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

caligulamprey posted:

But I'd still blast Teenager of the Year over any Pixies record.

it's like i don't even know you people

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hatelull posted:

Does Sonic Youth even warrant a mention in this thread of threads? I'm ok with the Pixies pre-reunion. Could not care less about any of their output after '92.

I really don't think so. The idea of Sonic Youth is better than the reality. EVOL, Sister and Goo are the only "great" albums they did; every other record they put out is either too uneven to be great (Daydream Nation, Dirty, Washing Machine) or just not very good on any level (Rather Ripped, etc)

It's something I've thought a lot about though. They did some things so well; they wrote killer pop songs and killer noise jams, which is pretty hard to do... but I think on some level they were sabotaged by their own reputation

thanks for reading my application to pitchfork.com

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Bad Moon Rising, DDN, Dirty and Murray Street are all way way better than Goo.

Big disagree. Dirty comes close but it's got "Nic Fit" and "Youth Against Fascism" which, come on, those are barely even songs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bardo Pond

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Disco Pope posted:

Like, this is pure pub music bore thinking on my part, but I think you need a level of critical acclaim, popular recognition, influence, consistency (you can't have been poo poo for 20 of the 25 years you've existed) and something of a myth and celebrity to be considered the best rock band. But by this rubric, that leaves, like Nirvana? I mean, sure, but what a boring answer.

Edit: Wait, it's Slipknot lol

by this metric it's definitely either Slipknot or REM

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hatelull posted:

*J. Spaceman will remember that.*

Honestly, the only reason I wouldn't throw Spiritualized in as a contender is that the lineup has been far too inconsistent for any kind of "best band" award. One prefers not to essentially give "best band" to a solo artist. Nine Inch Nails is out for much the same reason.

Spacemen 3, there's definitely an argument for, but I really think they are much more accurately described as a folk or blues band

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I hate how right you are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't honestly say I dislike much of Radiohead's output, and I outright love a few albums. But I hate the idea of being a Radiohead fan.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I would personally think any kind of "best rock band" would have to have, at minimum, one memorable melody that anyone can hum.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TengenNewsEditor posted:

i read this thread and i liked these answers:

Dinosaur Jr
Pixies
Spiritualized
Spacemen 3
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Radiohead
The Violent Femmes
Sonic Youth

a few candidates i think haven't been mentioned:

My Bloody Valentine
Talk Talk
Camper Van Beethoven
Minutemen
Parquet Courts

i too will go to bat for Camper Van Beethoven but buddy, we're the only ones

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
in a surprising number of ways, they were like the Velvet Underground of the 80s

including that their singer went on to do other stuff that was fine but never really much more than that (well, Kerosene Hat is as good as anything CVB did) and that they did an ill-advised and mediocre reunion later in life

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Frogs, i haven't thought about in a hot minute

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
calling The Smiths a rock band is just a little bit insulting to rock music

they were, occasionally, a really good pop band tho

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm just saying, you wouldn't call The Beach Boys the best rock band of the 60s

well, i might, but you wouldn't

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if we're going that direction, then it's The Cult

just tell me "Fire Woman" isn't a banger

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Def Leppard and Iron Maiden are probably in the the conversation

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BigFactory posted:

The cult’s self titled record DOES NOT hold up well. Disqualified

me, during the entire 90s, every time someone insisted that "they were good when they were Southern Death Cult, really"

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

overnightmike posted:

Sun City Girls

i worked exactly one day at a McDonald's in Greeneville TN about 6 years ago. i was doing a favor for a friend who was the store manager, so he had me come in one day to help train people

anyway, it was 6 AM. there was this kid working there. had to be like 22. looked exactly like Jake Gyllenhall circa Nightcrawler. and i do mean exactly.

you understand taht Greeneville TN is rear end gently caress Nowhere and only has a population of about 12

well anyway this kid sees my Spacemen 3 tattoo and goes "hell yeah. hey, do you know who the Sun City Girls are?"

and i was just like

:stare:

wat the gently caress universe is this

true story, really.

great band