Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Guys, we did it! We survived!
God is dead, and if he isn't he hates us. Probably us specifically. This timeline was a mistake. We as human beings were a mistake. Everything's pointless and we're all gonna die.
What's wrong, Junpei? I thought you were enjoying your drink.

Also, what kind of turbo nerd says "2 to the 4th power" instead of just saying 16 from the start? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Also, what kind of turbo nerd says "2 to the 4th power" instead of just saying 16 from the start? :argh:

One who's using it to lead into 2 to the 100th power. The point is if 2^n people play, someone will win n games in a row. By wording the simple version that way you make the pattern recognizable.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Still hard to reconcile this Akane with "I will kill as many people as it takes as many times as it takes to accomplish my objective" Akane from 999 and VLR.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Diana is the name of the Roman goddess of the moon.

That's probably why she got that name to begin with.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 16, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

Akane's either breaking the fourth wall or accessing the morphogenetic field. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how much difference there really is between the two.

It's the fourthogenetic wall!

Also, I vote Power Room.

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016
You basically had my same game experience: Rec room as the first room, got gunned down at the first try, thought "the previous games taught me that i need to return here after i have unlocked something!", played the rest of the game, got stuck, found out on the internet that you are expected to retry three times until you get the dice right, cursed the game and moved on.

You also kinda ruined my first post on the thread since i was waiting for the end of the rec room segment to tell this story.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Discomusic posted:

You basically had my same game experience: Rec room as the first room, got gunned down at the first try, thought "the previous games taught me that i need to return here after i have unlocked something!", played the rest of the game, got stuck, found out on the internet that you are expected to retry three times until you get the dice right, cursed the game and moved on.

You also kinda ruined my first post on the thread since i was waiting for the end of the rec room segment to tell this story.

Life is simply unfair. Don't you think?

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016

Cloacamazing! posted:

Life is simply unfair. Don't you think?

I just hope that in some other universe i was able to brag about it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Admittedly, I got to the Rec Room a bit later, but I still figured I might as well just keep rolling because it had to come up all ones eventually. I could easily outlast the game in patience. When it happened the third time, I was certain it was intended to happen that way. But then, just about all of the randomness in the game worked out in such a way that it all seemed hardcoded from my perspective, so it's neat hearing about people who had to do things a different number of times, or in a different order, from the one that makes the most narrative sense.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Now This is the zero escape I signed up for :allears: , Uchikoshi telling me about cool things he’s read.

I’m voting to traumatise the child and do the Q team decontamination replay

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 16, 2020

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

This is the room that had me hooked. The completely stupid unfairness of the decision game had me cackling.

Edit: catching up on the rest of the cokments, it was the first puzzle room I did too!

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 16, 2020

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Discomusic posted:

If it makes you feel any better, my second room was the Pod Room and I didn't notice the timer so I kept entering stuff and getting killed by Eric. Fun times.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There's a beautiful elegance in the progression from the lingering doom setting of 999, to the game theory soaked interludes in VLR, to having four giant gatling guns emerge from inside decorative suits of armour and being told to roll three dice to not be mowed down.

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016

DKII posted:

If it makes you feel any better, my second room was the Pod Room and I didn't notice the timer so I kept entering stuff and getting killed by Eric. Fun times.

I dont' remember about the Pod room but I think I didn't have problems with the timer trick (or i let it run out accidentally while thinking about a correct answer)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

DKII posted:

I can confirm that the update you just read is actually a 1/216 chance.

So about this... are you sure the first two tries are actually winnable? This always felt super rigged to me.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

So about this... are you sure the first two tries are actually winnable? This always felt super rigged to me.

Considering other things I'd assume they left "fair"* dice in the first two tries and then the pity roll on the third try.
*as in, actually fair but 1/216 is idiotic

I'm going to reiterate my previous statement of hanging the current Zero by their entrails, because this is some fresh BS.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This was the first room I ever played, I overthought the card puzzle to an IMMENSE degree and ended up not touching the game for months. Then I saw the LP, went back to it, finished the rec room and played through the entire rest of the game in a weekend. This specific scene was my favorite out of the whole game just for the gut punch of "We finished joking around in the Rec Room lol we live in the universe god abandoned"

It has the same juxtaposed vibe as the Spy Kids 2 line "Do you think that God stays in heaven because he too lives in fear of what he has created?" and I loving love it

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

On my playthrough, I got one 1 the first roll, two 1s the second roll, and finally three 1s the third roll. It was kinda neat, and I had thought that that was intended, but apparently not. Getting increasing numbers of 1s certainly encouraged me to retry again.

e: v I have zero recollection of what order I did anything in, lol

Telum fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 16, 2020

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
It's incredible that so many people had this as their first room. I would have thought the allure of AKANE WITH CHAINSAW irresistible.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I did pod room first, got shot by Eric, assumed I was missing some context and it would unlock later, and didn't go back to it until the very end of the game, whoops

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bruceski posted:

One who's using it to lead into 2 to the 100th power. The point is if 2^n people play, someone will win n games in a row. By wording the simple version that way you make the pattern recognizable.

She's still a turbo nerd. :colbert:

Truthkeeper posted:

Still hard to reconcile this Akane with "I will kill as many people as it takes as many times as it takes to accomplish my objective" Akane from 999 and VLR.

Yeah, that's one thing I'm not really a fan of with ZTD Akane. She feels like she's way too innocent and idealistic for someone who kidnapped a bunch of people and shoved bombs into a handful of them.

wologar posted:

It's incredible that so many people had this as their first room. I would have thought the allure of AKANE WITH CHAINSAW irresistible.

That was my first one as well.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 16, 2020

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016

wologar posted:

I am the type of guy who saves the best for last.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Truthkeeper posted:

Maybe she's doing that whole "fake it till you make it" thing with regards to being a normal person? I donno.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Akane could have been somewhat emotionally insulated from the events of the first game, since from her perspective she saw it happening nine years before the actual event so could tell herself that it was 'meant' to play out that way, especially since the only people who die in the end reality were pretty awful people to her specifically. VLR takes place in basically a post-apocalypse setting so a certain amount of mental hardening is expected as well. This is the first game where she isn't in control, at least as far as we know, so it makes some sense that we're getting a different side out of her.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Going straight for the new fragment this time, eh?

This one'll take me a couple days. Friday at the latest. But my streak of updating at least once a day is finally over, alas.

In the meantime...

We've got four characters who volunteered for Dcom and just happened to get caught up in this crazy game - Carlos, Eric, Mira, and Diana. Of course, we know that all the characters in 999 and VLR were really connected to each other in some way, and either forced or enticed to participate. So do we really believe these volunteers are here by coincidence? What's your best theory as to their connections to the others?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DKII posted:

We've got four characters who volunteered for Dcom and just happened to get caught up in this crazy game - Carlos, Eric, Mira, and Diana. Of course, we know that all the characters in 999 and VLR were really connected to each other in some way, and either forced or enticed to participate. So do we really believe these volunteers are here by coincidence? What's your best theory as to their connections to the others?

They all grew up in the same orphanage but forgot.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

Well, we know Diana has, or will have (timelines get funky) a connection to Sigma, because he built/will have built Luna in VLR, who looks exactly like her.

There's no way Mira didn't get hired for being stabby.

Carlos might have latent psychic powers? I think Akane hinted at it?

Eric strikes me as a schlub.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

DKII posted:

In front of us are a couple of chairs and a table with some stuff on it.

Oh wow, this leather chair's so comfy.

Well, the comfort level of a sofa or chair is very important.

This is a VLR callback. On the yellow door path (I think) there's a scene in the Lounge where Dio talks about the comfort levels of the furniture.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

DKII posted:

Together they are known as The Zero Collective.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Diana's connection is obvious and others have said it.

I don't have any clue for Carlos. Maybe the snail burned his house down?

I'm almost positive that Mira's first kill was Eric's mother. Eric's mother died when he was small, Mira killed the woman when she was small. Mira sensed that Eric might provide what she wanted despite first impressions, Eric felt Mira was like his mother somehow despite them having nothing in common. Eric's last words were the same as Mira's first kill and Mira felt exactly the same way she'd felt when she killed that woman.

As for Eric himself, I can't help but think he has some connection with Brother somehow. This is shaky, admittedly, based mostly on both of them having lost their mothers early and having their brothers murdered, with none of the other details in their backstories matching. Perhaps Brother (a known telepath) noticed someone with similar life experiences and took an interest in him...

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

DKII posted:

Diana is one of Lotus' twin daughters. In a strange twist of fate, she'll actually die in Dcom and the one Luna is based on is her sister.

Carlos is a time-traveling firefighter who keeps randomly teleporting to the greatest catastrophes humanity has faced in order to prevent them. In this case, his task is to kill Eric before he can father a child with Mira.

Q is Carlos' younger sister who is trying to bring him home.

Mira wanted to stab people and tricked Eric into coming along with her, so she'd have an idiot ally. At least that's what she thinks, because Eric is actually Zero II and organised the entire game so that he could have a chance with Mira.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Quackles posted:

There's no way Mira didn't get hired for being stabby.

Seems kinda redundant, with the death traps and all.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Seems kinda redundant, with the death traps and all.

What is Mira but a fancy, novel kind of death trap?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Mr. Locke posted:

What is Mira but a fancy, novel kind of death trap?

The correct term is "Black Widow", and those are assuredly not new.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 42: Ambidex (1 of 2)

Sure, new fragment, let's jump right in.

Three outcomes here. What's that they're looking at, I wonder? Whatever, let's start.

Ambidex, huh? The game in VLR was called the Ambidex Game...

Music: Initiation (Preamble)

The reactor...

This nuclear reactor automatically supplies electricity for years without any extra input.

Missing Lip Animations: 32

Carlos walks across the room.

No easy exit this time.

Agh! It's the new year!

Back at 00:00 again. Which timeline, I wonder?

I kind of thought his sister was more of a little kid. She's 22?

Never thought there'd be a time when I couldn't wish her happy new year...

This is the worst year ever!

Music: Nostalgic Scenery

She fell ill ten years ago, and was admitted to the hospital. I figured she'd be lonely in there, so I always stopped by after work...

Ten years? Holy crap man. So she would've been 12 when that started. No wonder he still thinks of her like a little kid.

Ah, uh, that's...

Eloquent as ever, Junpei.

And now...

But I couldn't...

You're her boyfriend, right?

Ahhahaha.

She's just a childhood friend!

Whoops, sorry if that made things awkward. I just wanted to learn how you guys were connected.

It's all right, they were doing a fine enough job of being awkward on their own, anyway.

Ah yes, those firefighters, always being so...teamwork-y?

Well, we'll leave it at that for now.

Okay, we can't hang around here like this forever. Let's find a way out.

Music: Power Room

Okay, let's do this. First, a quick look around the room.

This one's big. And there's...ice?...everywhere.

Might as well start with the elephant in the room.

So that's a nuclear reactor...

It's waaay high-tech. What's that circular thing in the middle?

It's at the center of the reactor... The core, maybe?

Anyone else feeling a little...exposed?

I don't know. But maybe they'll turn on once we get the power on.

Guess we better look around then.

Nothing on the control panel does anything yet.

Moving on...

Fancy windows, but nothing to do here.

The big lever below, however...

This is a keyhole, right? Do we have anything that would fit...?

We have literally nothing, Carlos. We just started here.

I see a keyhole down here. We probably need a key before we can pull it.

To no one's surprise, the lever won't move without the key.

Next up, some weird big machine.

There's nothing inside.

No clues as to what it's for.

There's a door on the bottom that opens up, but nothing's in there. Yet.

Nothing's in here.

But it looks like we can put two rectangular objects inside.

It's got a red light. Maybe it's locked?

If that's true, then how do we open it?

But there's no fire. Maybe the gas isn't connected.

These are really great to have during the winter.

A heater seems useful with all this ice around...

Continuing around the room...

Let's play with this thing.

The valve is shut right now.

Then how about we open it.

Et voila, the valve is open and the light is lit up.

Hmm... This locker isn't opening.

Maybe it'll unlock if we direct the power to here.

I proceed to forget all about this locker for most of the room.

We can see a rectangular metal object through the glass door.

We might be able to use it, but question is: How do we open this locker?

There are actually two lockers here. I think we just saw a spot to put a rectangular object.

There are two lights, one to the left and the other at the bottom. Neither is on.

No power here yet.

A sink?

Yeah, but who designs a sink with a drain on the side?

Once it fills, it's going to leeeeeak over the edge!

I'm sure that'll be important later.

Maybe the valve is closed. Or...it's just broken.

Something on the floor here...

It's in the way lying on the floor like that, so let's put it where it belongs.

And the drain cover's back in place. Good thing it was right there, I guess.

I feel the same way. Now we're safe from alien attacks.

It's no help if they're the kind that come busting out of your stomach.

It's hard to trace the pipes in screenshots, but this one leads to the sink. Probably the water valve?

Ugh. drat, this is hard. It's frozen shut!

It IS very cold in here... Maybe if we warm the room up it will turn?

Looks like our first goal here is to get the heater running.

Another weird-looking machine here.

But it doesn't seem like the power's on.

It looks like there's a slider on it... Maybe we should push it?

Eh, we'll get back to that.

I think so... Moving the lever should change where the power is directed.

The arrows are a little weird but really you just click once to move the lever to the other position.

Looks like the power's on.

Now that the power's on, the needle is fluctuating.

I don't think the power source for this is very stable.

It could go out any second. I'm worried.

It looks like it's a guide for using this panel.

[Monitor Text:] Door cannot be opened due to insufficient power. If the power for the facility drops below the operational minimum, air circulation will be halted. Do not enter a room where air is not circulating as suffocation may result.

So the door won't open because there's no power.

I think we're okay on air for now, but we should be careful of what we touch here.

Since the power's on now, we don't need to touch it again.

I wanted to fiddle with the slider some more though...

It isn't a toy. Anyway, let's see what changed.

Switching the lever should redirect the power.

So right now, the power's going off to the right. The switch can move it up out the top instead, but I'm going to leave it where it is for now.

It's shut right now. Let's open it.

Nearby is another valve. Guess we'll open this one, too.

I'm not sure we're ready to have it open yet, maybe we should close it.

It's a good idea to close the valve again after you open it.

We always learned in school that we should never forget to turn them off.

Well, school's out. What the teachers don't know...

Guess we're leaving it open then.

Right above the valve is what looks like a thermostat. Maybe we can just turn the heat up here?

This thermometer is sitting at -10 degrees Celsius!

Christ! No wonder it's so drat cold in here!

I remember there was a theme park once with a -30 degree attraction. Too cold for me...

Never mind, just a thermometer.

I think this pipe is the gas one? Not that it matters that much, I just click on everything. Like this door...

Looks like it leads to a small, round room. But it's locked.

Maybe something inside can open the door to the Power Room.

Another generic box to click on up here.

It's too dangerous, Carlos! We'd get shocked!

It's not leaking out anywhere, but it's too risky to chance. Let's turn it off.

Uhh, okay...

We should be all right so long as there isn't a current going through.

"Never pull the plug while the machine's in use!" I heard that all the time as a kid.

I guess the switch powers these exposed wires.

Looks like another drain cover over here.

Uugghh. It's no use. It won't open.

I couldn't even get it to budge. Force won't open it.

There's a bunch of machines in here. Maybe one of them opens the door.

Still more stuff. Another sink, a couple more lockers, and another gas valve.

Filling the sink will cause the water to flow out from there.

The sink is pretty much the same as the other one.

There are two possible reasons. Either the main valve is shut, or it doesn't work...

No water here, either.

The light is lit on this set of lockers. Because back at the power distribution panel, I left the switch so that the power was going to the right. To this machine.

It's an extinguisher. The label says "freezing fire extinguisher".

Kind of weird, but okay.

It'll freeze things lickety-split.

Uh, what? Why are you pointing that at me, Junpei?

Ah, no reason... Just curious.

You just wanted to see how she'd react, didn't you...

The power must've rerouted with the moving of the switch.

Flick the switch, and we can open the other locker.

The melting point of tin is low, so it's an easy material to process.

It's often used for tableware and other dailiy necessities.

Another rectangular object...

Let's open it then! La lala la!

Yeah. You don't need to close it, Akane.

Opening and closing these things is kind of fun.

It sure is.

Looks like there's another heater on the other side of the room. Does it seem like there's a lazy copy of everything in here to anyone else? Two heaters, two drain covers, two sinks, two sets of lockers...

We just gotta light it. Let's hurry.

I don't see a "Light Me" button anywhere, though.

Gas. Yup. It's connected all right.

Then we only need to start a fire here and the heater will...

Last object to examine is here.

No idea. No way to tell either since it's off.

Let's come back after the power is on.

Fine, fine.

I missed these earlier. More exposed wires?

They're extended into the drains.

It'll be pretty dangerous if any water gets close.

I think I can see how part two of this puzzle room will shake out, but I still haven't figured out part one. How do we get those heaters started up?

I knew these were here on the floor somewhere and I still spent a couple minutes searching for them. Do you see them? They're a lot easier to see in a still screenshot than when I'm dragging the screen around.

Fortunately there's this helpful sparkle that only really helps if you can keep the object on the screen for more than a couple seconds.

It's a box of matches.

Sounds like just what we need to get those heaters started.

This room is so cold. Let's light one and think about warm food.

Like "The Little Match Girl"? Well, it's not like I don't agree with the sentiment.

Let's get these over to the heater.

This thing's been leaking gas for several minutes, let's just open the door and toss in a match.

Ah... That went well, I think.

All the ice on this half of the room is instantly gone. Because that's how thermodynamics works.

Finally. It was really cold in here. This feels good.

I forgot to look at the thermostat but you can just make out the red needle pointing straight up instead of in the blue. There's also still ice in the other half of the room, because the air circulation is poor or something.

First, we have to send the power up to the other side of the room.

I finally remembered to check on this locker from 60 images ago.

You're right. It really would make a cute castella.

I'm pretty sure it's not for baking cakes... Where could we use this?

Guess we know how we're getting a key for that lever way back at the beginning.

Is this...a puzzle?

Move the switch to send the power down to the second locker, and we can open it.

It's another rotating tile puzzle. This one was a nightmare for my poor color-blind self. Those colored circles... Here was me stumbling through it at 4x speed:

All right, Carlos!

There's something inside. Let's take a look.

"We put it in the sink," then?

It's too big to shove up your nose at least. I can't think of anywhere else to use it.

Plug up the sink and we could make it overflow through the weird side drain I guess. Assuming we get the water running sometime.

There were actually two sink plugs inside the puzzle. Because there are two sinks, and having two puzzles would take more effort. Same dialogue, though.

The other heater can't be lit yet because the door is locked.

Oh good... It would get warmer in here if we lit it.

I know, I'm trying.

Oh right, the rectangular objects. Let's dump those in here.

Or I can get distracted by going to put the plugs into the sinks.

Ah, I guess this plug was meant to be used here.

It fit perfectly.

It may look the same, but this is the second plug for the second sink.

I think the plug can fit in here.

Oh, look look look! It fits super well, yay!

This cutesy thing is kind of creeping me out, Akane...

Maybe one heater was enough to turn the water valve?

GGRUUUUHHHHH!

Junpei, you'll hurt your hands if you try turning it like that.

The valve is frozen solid. We need to figure out how to melt the ice.

All right, back to the second heater. Let's see if the steel mold can go in here.

This steel mold... It fits in the hole here.

It's just the right size.

We'll just leave it there then.

That seemed to work. Now for the block of tin.

It fits perfectly.

No reason to take it out. May as well leave it.

Wonder what happens if we close this.

The drawer closes, and a light comes on below the door.

The light over here was red but now it's green.

Maybe that means the furnace door on top is unlocked.

Oh... Looks, and feels, like the fire's lit.

Let's take a look.

Ice is gone, but more importantly there's something in the compartment at the bottom.

It's probably used somewhere in this room.

Well, guess we need to find a hole that'll fit it.

This key... I think it'll fit in this keyhole.

Oh, it fits perfectly. Maybe we can pull the lever.

Why do you look so happy about this, Junpei?

Too much anime? That does look like a lever that'd control a giant robot.

Whoa, that's an old reference! You like to watch those too, Carlos?

I like machines. My sister's not a fan, but she enjoys watching almost anything on TV.

You truly love your sister, don't you.

And now we're off-topic. I'm pulling it!

The lever is pulled.

Looks like the shields came down.

Not sure what that accomplished, but with the ice gone we've got one more thing we can do in here.

But first let's look through the window again.

The shields just suddenly dropped down when we pulled that lever.

I thought we did something wrong. It kind of scared me.

Right, the water valve.

The ice around it is melting. Now, if we just put some back into it...

Aha... The valve is open. And now we have water.

The drainage ditch is right below it though. Don't slip and fall now.

Do I really seem that clumsy to you, Junpei?

You CAN be absentminded. No one's 100% perfect, right?

...Meanie.

Hmm... Maybe we should turn the water off.

The water is pouring out of the faucet. This feels a little wasteful.

You think? It's pretty fun to me. Never-ending water without worrying about money.

You're right. You only have to worry about the water bill when you're at home.

You can see the water flowing through one of the drainage ditches now. Let's go turn on the other sink, too.

Now that we've filled the room with water, let's run some electricity through these exposed wires and kill ourselves.

This is a dangerous situation even with no power. We should keep it off.

Uhh, it didn't work. What'd I miss?

The other end is also in the water. If we turn on the power right now...

The control panel will turn on... Could this really work?

Well, yes, that's what I was trying to do...

The control panel's power cord is also submerged in the water.

So, if we ran a current through this, the control panel might turn on...?

The other set of wires has the same hint.

Not sure why I'm looking at this thing again.

We could turn the main valve after we warmed up the room.

It would've been pointless while it was cold in here anyway. We'd be stuck with ice.

We turned the heaters on for warmth, but it had a useful side effect.

Sure, let's look at the thermometer again, too.

No more chattering teeth! Thank God.

We need to get back to searching now that it's warmer.

It took me longer than I'm willing to admit to realize I needed to send the power back to the right side of the room for our trick to work. Though you can probably tell from the meandering searching going on.

Let's try this again...

Hey look! The monitors over there turned on!

The drains are acting like power cords? I would've never believed this would work...

Yeah. But we've no clue how long it'll last. Let's get to examining while we have power.

Well, we've got power. What's that on the screen now?

Oh! Look at the monitor.

Well, these shapes are weird. Maybe it's a puzzle?

I'm guessing we need to solve this next. Let's take a look.

Another one of these puzzles. No helpful corners to help us. Plenty of edges but multiple pieces can go into each spot. Guess we'll just have to try it out. Here it is at double speed:

I kind of stumbled into most of the solution and then fumbled around a bit at the end. Anyway, what did that get us?

Hey, I think we did it.

Umm...

The monitor to the side turned on too. Let's see what it says.

We will, but first let's look at the reactor again.

The core is emitting light and spinning.

It reminds me of the lights on a fire truck. Awesome.

You two... Fascinated by machines and shiny objects...

Sure enough, this thing is lit up now.

I don't know... But we should be able to use this at least.

Let's get started then.

I actually like this puzzle. You drag the sets of mirrors up and down to reflect the lasers around. The goal is to not only get the lasers to the center, but have them enter the center square from the right direction. The middle column can't move, so we know where the top and bottom lasers need to go at the end. Here's my solution at 4x speed:

That was a little hard to follow, so I'll break it down.

It's easier to start with the right side. Get the blue laser set up, and make sure there's nothing in the way of the green laser shooting straight across. The red laser also isn't hard to get into the center, but it's hard to keep it that way while working on the yellow laser.

For the yellow laser, it's actually easier to work backwards. The laser is going to have to curve around the bottom to reach the center, so moving the second column down one spot will take care of it.

From there, I pretty much lucked into getting in the red laser, and the puzzle completed automatically before I even realized what had happened. Notice how the red and yellow lasers actually use opposite sides of the same mirror at one point.

Does this mean the reactor core will be hit with radiation as well?

Apparently so.

Suddenly, the lights turn red and an alarm sounds.

We're thrown back into the puzzle room. What's going on here?

The core's still spinning...

Wait, didn't the implosion work? Why is the alarm going off?!

No idea. But we better shut down the control panel.

Good idea. Maybe there's a switch over here or something.

The monitor's saying "Evacuate or shut down the power"!

Gah, the alarm's going off! This is bad! We gotta do something...

We can't exactly evacuate right now, but maybe we can shut off the power?

Good idea, let's go turn the switch back off.

Zero might be doing it... We need to find another way!

Can we use this monitor somehow?

...Maybe seomthing over here can stop the alarm.

This just adjusts the lasers. I don't think anything here will help.

What else can we do?! We need to shut off the control panel now!

Maybe this lever?

Just how exactly are we going to shut down the control panel?!

We better start looking. Maybe we can find something to stop the electricity!

Remember the freezing fire extinguisher we picked up about 90 images ago?

If we freeze the drainage ditches with this extinguisher...!

Well there's a block of ice but the water's still flowing...

I guess it worked anyway?

The exit doesn't unlock, but the little circular room is now open.

Oh hey, the door over there opened. Should we check it out?

The screen shakes and there's a thump.

Akane?

The screen flashes white twice, and there's a zapping sound.

Oohhh...

The top layer of the ice melted?!

She stepped in the water?! Akane... Akane! Come on, wake up.

Uh, I guess? Did that scene take place in puzzle room mode so it wouldn't have to be animated/voiced?

Part two coming up!

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 43: Ambidex (2 of 2)

Music: Sinisterness Phase 3

She's okay. She's just unconscious. Her breathing and pulse are normal...

I see...

Sure, now seems like a good time for the computer lady.

[Computer Lady:] That is all.

Same X-Passes we saw at the end of the Infirmary, and at the end of the Trash Disposal room where all of D-Team lived. Guess we're on that branch?

Y-Yeah, you're right...

I think this is the first time we've seen a team question the truthfulness of the reported casualties.

You seem to be forgetting that the exit's still locked...

The fragment title is "Ambidex". And now we have a terminal with "Rules of the AB Game". Feeling familiar?

Junpei also walks over.

Hopefully away from the electrified water this time.

No clue. Something's up on the monitor though...

We're now interacting with the monitor ourselves. Click to proceed!

Other than having to vote at the same time, the setup seems a lot like the AB Game in VLR so far. The characters were in separate rooms for those votes, though.

BP = Bracelet Points. In VLR, each character wore a bracelet that showed their current point total (as well as the random team assignment after each round of voting).

The voting results are different here though. In VLR, both characters allying would result in a 2 BP gain for each character.

VLR also had a double-betrayal resulting in no change to BP.

In VLR, a single betrayal would result in a 3 BP gain for the betrayer and a 2 BP loss for the one betrayed.

The principle is the same, though - an individual always gains better results from betraying, but the group always gains better results by both players allying. This type of setup is known as a prisoner's dilemma, and refers to two prisoners/arrestees being offered deals to get one to implicate the other. If you played VLR, you had this concept beat into you throughout the game.

Of course, a key element of a prisoner's dilemma is that the two players are not allowed to talk to each other. We're free to do so here. We can get to 9 BP with a single betrayal (which will also execute the one betrayed), or with two rounds of mutual allying. Seems simple, right?

Well, this game has a wrinkle. Junpei's fate is shared with Akane. And the survivors of a betrayal will have enough X-Passes to leave the shelter immediately. That might complicate everyone's reasoning.

Even a normally-selfless Carlos might hesitate with other people sharing his fate.

Junpei kicks the stupid machine.

I don't know, this room seems pretty tame compared to the others C-Team has done.

Complicating this decision for a player with VLR experience, is Junpei Tenmyouji's voting history in that game. He almost always betrayed. Will Junpei do the same here?

"Ally"...

Or "Betray"...

What're you saying? Isn't it obvious?!

We choose "Ally" twice. We'll add 6 additional points to our initial 3, and we'll both end up with 9 BP. No one dies, no one gets hurt. The exit door will open, and C-Team will be able to get out.

Nice flashback to the screen we just saw. But otherwise sounds like a great plan. Not sure why Carlos refers to himself and the others as "C-Team" instead of just saying "we", though.

There's nothing gained by choosing "Betray", right?

Right? Right, Junpei?

It's just like the execution vote. Where...we...betrayed and executed Q-Team. Maybe not the best example...

I'm not sure I like Junpei's body language there.

The characters walk out as we fade to black. What, you didn't think we'd just jump right into the decision without more :words:, did you?

Music: Morphogenetic Sorrow (Mix 3)

This girl here, she's always been really smart. If she thinks the tiniest thing is off, she'll start debating with "buts" and "ifs" like someone at least twice her age.

But to all of us back in grade school, she was pretty strange. Well, I guess she came across as scary...

No.

I decided that I'd stay by her side, to watch over and protect her if I could...

She didn't take it well. So, without telling me or the teachers, she went to their hutch, crying and apologizing over and over to them...

That was over ten years ago. A memory that's been tucked away in my brain, covered in dust...

I know she always goes and just quietly shoulders everything herself.

I wanted to help her bear whatever weight she's taken up. I truly felt that. But...

Well... I dunno...

Hell, I couldn't understand why I even cared.

You mean my sister?

Yeah.

Above anything else, I want to save her. I want to see her smile like before... That's what I decided... That's why...

That's why you need the 500 thousand dollars.

There's no motion, but Akane can be heard moaning here.

And neither of us can afford to die now...

I'm not sure that was the right argument, Carlos... You've not only given Junpei a reason that he can't afford to ally, but one that you can't afford to ally, either.

We'll work on getting out of this shelter after that.

Junpei nods.

Okay, let's get this over with!

Fade to black with Junpei holding Akane.

Music: Ambidexterity 2nd Mix

Don't get the timing wrong, okay?

All right. Here we go.

One heartbeat.

Another heartbeat.

3, 2, 1!

Music: Ambidexterity 2nd Mix

Yeah, it just starts up the same track again.

Pretty simple. Just like VLR, right? Ally or Betray?

Extras:

This file was actually from living through the Rec Room. I told you that 2^100 was a ridiculously big number.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Betray grumpy Jumpy.

Also, how is Jumpy supposed to be pronounced anyway? The games are inconsistent about it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Ally. Carlos is is a Good Boy.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm sure Junpei will be totally trustworthy and pick Ally twice like a good boy. Better cooperate with him. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I'm sure Junpei will 100% totally not stab us in the back just like he always did in VLR. Totally.