Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I absolutely howled the first time I picked my colour and I, too, got to the sun ending.

My boyfriend looked over at me giggling at the credits and said "wait, didn't you literally just buy that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So I don't quite remember all the details of how VLR ended, but assuming Sigma here is the post-VLR Sigma then he's essentially in a position where he knows the ending to this whole ordeal (or I guess two possible endings? Would Doctor Klim have memories of the world as ravaged by Radical-6 or saved from it? Do we even know?) but has no idea how it gets to that point or what any of this even means to that end. Just like the player! Except it looks like we're not even playing as Sigma this time but as one of three randoms so does Sigma's perspective even matter anymore? :v:

Also how does that kid not stumble all over the place with that helmet presumably screwing with his center of gravity?

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 3: Execution

We're picking blue again? I guess we'll see.

Very dramatic.

Music: Bereavement

Carlos is just as confident the second time around.

Oh, that's different. :confused:

The group is a bit more dismayed this time.

So what just happened? I won't keep you in suspense any longer. The first time you decide, you're always right, and you get the Sun End. The second time you decide, you're always wrong, and you continue with the rest of the game. Even if that means the result of the coin flip is different.

One of VLR's themes is about actions taken in the future affecting in the past. Where going back and making a different decision, also changes something else. There's something similar at play here, except this time, we didn't change our decision, and the past changed anyway! Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it for a simple cheat to get the player introduced to the game.

These scenes might make you think that you're being railroaded in this game and your choices don't really matter. While that's true here, later on it's really quite the opposite. Moving on....

No witty comeback for this guy. He's focused on the death part.

Again, if you guess red and you're incorrect, not much changes. Carlos is just as confident about the other color, and the previous line changes to:

quote:

See? Told you it was blue.

Everything else from here forward is the same.

This guy is a little upset now for some reason.

Carlos isn't feeling too good about himself, either.

Hey, wait a second!

Still this guy. Don't worry, we'll find out who he is soon.

You should know already.

At least six.

Thanks for the clarification psycho.

The group is silent for a bit.

Before you begin, I'm going to need all of you to go to sleep.

Win or lose, they still get their memory wiped.

There's no point to telling you now. You won't remember anything in a moment...

This time Zero explains why he won't explain himself.

She's not impressed.

Another ceiling shot as the bodies fall.

No differences here.

Carlos doesn't say anything this time, just reaches out before also falling asleep.

Followed by the same fade to static and then blackness.

Music: Zero Times

I completely forgot that the game did an intro movie at this point. It's full of out-of-context spoilers that would be grossly over-analyzed in this LP format, so I'll be skipping most of it.

Here's the bad guy again.

Now we've really started the game.

Music: Sinisterness Phase 2

That's Akane yelling in the background. Carlos is apparently last to fall asleep and last to wake up.

One guess who's yelling at the creepy kid again.

It's not me...

This guy doesn't remember that he's already complained about the kid's head before.

Let it go, Eric.

Oh hey we finally got a name for that guy. Eric.

Mira...

The lady's name, I presume.

She says, oddly knowingly.

Oh, no reason. Might explode or something. (That may or may not have been an element of one of the prior games.)

You should listen to her.

I'll go into more detail on who these people are in the next set of updates.

That's what it was called a year ago.

We get another name for the last member of this group. Junpei and Akane also have a bit of a history.

The TVs blink on, starting with static.

More of this rear end in a top hat. Time for a proper introduction, at least.

How are you feeling?

Who's this?

Music: CQD Ward BGM 2

The second Zero.

In 999, the villain was called Zero. In VLR, which actually takes place after this game, the villain (or at least the public face/representation of the villain) was called Zero III. Now we finally have Zero II.

That was Mira.

Recording or not, villains gotta monologue.

Her usual route led her to a fork in the road.

Changing the scene for nearly every line of dialogue is a great way to keep the viewer interested in the monologue while also forcing me to take more screenshots.

Surprised to see her, they asked, "Why did you come this way today?" This was her reply.

Ah, the snail again. Did it make everyone go extinct?

Murdered. They found her in some bushes along the left path.

Don't you think?

LP title reference counter: 2

I hope you were taking notes during that story.

Eric isn't going to pass the pop quiz later.

It's the same for all of you.

Hey, we know where we are now! Kind of.

Is that not where you last thought you were?

Music: Portentousness 2nd Mix

Meet C-Team, everyone.

Your leader shall be Carlos.

Carlos is very intent here.

As evidenced by the name, the leader is Q.

Is this a joke?

Q-Team is already dysfunctional.

Oh hey the other two characters are Phi (the woman) and Sigma (the man). They return from VLR.

That makes you the D-Team.

And the D-Team is here!

Diana doesn't seem so sure about being the leader.

Ninety minutes.

In VLR, the bracelet just straight-up provided a lethal injection, instead. This Zero wants to play with his victims more.

You will also forget everything that occurred in those past ninety minutes.

The characters aren't going to be able to help us out much if they're always forgetting everything that's happened. Guess we're on our own!

A watch. Pressing the buttons on each side simultaneously will display the time.

12:10...

Several people immediately try it out. 12:10 is just after the time in the Sun End. Accounting for the time Zero II has been talking here, the group probably woke up at the same time in either branch.

Zero II confirms that it's the same day as what we've been shown earlier, too.

The year turns over in less than half a day.

It's clearly marked with an "X".

The elevator is in the center of the map here. We're supposedly way underground, so he's probably right.

Reaction shots from all three teams here. Some interesting facial expressions on a few individuals.

In...blunter terms, if six of you die,

Music: Dcom (The Beginning)

Once that passes, it will automatically close. And never open again.

There was a similar one-time-use-only door blocking the exit in VLR. Though other conditions had to be met for walking through it in that case.

Quiet contemplation all around.

"How can I kill six people..."

How well do you know everyone here, Diana?

I'll give you one opportunity.

Have I mentioned yet that the game's tone is more like the darker one in 999 than VLR? Maybe even more so. And if you liked Clover's axe scenes in 999, well, you're in for a treat later. Consider that your content warning.

The team names of your newfound enemies will be displayed on that monitor.

Each team gets one vote.

The leader must submit it for the group.

Your deadline is 13:30.

Any team that hasn't voted before the time limit is up shall be penalized two votes.

Every member of that team...will be executed.

So, not voting is an automatic loss.

Here's another headshot of everyone thinking about what's coming up next.

Let us begin.

The lives of you, me, and the human race hang in the balance.

The human race?

And we're back at the team select screen.

Each team has a new fragment to select.

One decision, two choices.

The flowchart has been filled in with the result of losing the coin toss and the scene that followed (appropriatly titled, "Execution"). There are three choices for what to do next.

So who do you want to meet first? Select the team to advance story.

DKII fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 15, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
As someone who decided his name for this site based on 999's hero (as well as a party member from Persona 3), I'm very interested to see where this LP goes.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Junpei and Akane's hair are looking a lot more purple than I remember. :thunk:

Also I'm getting a kick out of Junpei and Phi's reaction to people needing to die to win. "Yeah, been there, done that."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Junpei and Akane's hair are looking a lot more purple than I remember. :thunk:

The art style to 3D changed just enough to make them look really weird to me. Phi and Sigma look fine for the other returning characters.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The models look a lot worse in screenshots, but they're... not great, even in the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Leraika posted:

The models look a lot worse in screenshots, but they're... not great, even in the game.

From what I remember Diana gets most of the Clover issue from VLR where the character model didn't emote properly for the situation. Clover always had that slight smile even when looking at a murder scene, Diana's more a perpetually-kicked puppy.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Gotta vote for Q Team, because they seem to already be ready to argue amongst themselves.

Super Jay Mann posted:

So I don't quite remember all the details of how VLR ended, but assuming Sigma here is the post-VLR Sigma then he's essentially in a position where he knows the ending to this whole ordeal (or I guess two possible endings? Would Doctor Klim have memories of the world as ravaged by Radical-6 or saved from it? Do we even know?) but has no idea how it gets to that point or what any of this even means to that end. Just like the player! Except it looks like we're not even playing as Sigma this time but as one of three randoms so does Sigma's perspective even matter anymore? :v:

Also how does that kid not stumble all over the place with that helmet presumably screwing with his center of gravity?
I think Sigma and Phi have the memories from their time in VLR so they are aware of the normal timeline of “radical escapes, world gets nuked, humanity hosed” that they’re trying to prevent.

But VLR’s ending said that nobody has any idea what actually occurred at the facility, it’s entirely possible that we take actions which actually cause the Apocalypse rather than stopping it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Super Jay Mann posted:

Just from VLR events, this Sigma: Went through VLR, arrived after Radical-6 was unleased (sporting robot hands and a replacement eye), and spent the next 45(?) years mastering everything he would need to set up the nonary game in VLR, then just before that game started, his mind went back to the past. So this Sigma is a lot older than is body physically is.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Bruceski posted:

From what I remember Diana gets most of the Clover issue from VLR where the character model didn't emote properly for the situation. Clover always had that slight smile even when looking at a murder scene, Diana's more a perpetually-kicked puppy.

To be fair, kicked puppy is not exactly an unreasonable emotion to be feeling at the moment. Or for the foreseeable future.

In any case, it's time for some silly unfounded guesses about people:

Q: K, but a small child. Poor kid.
Diana: Seems to be pretty clearly this game's Luna. Maybe even down to being a secret robot?
Mira: Seems like a ringer for Alice/Lotus, dunno what her secret extremely helpful skill is though.

Phi, Sigma, Akane and Junpei are all people we know, although I wouldn't discount something spooky going on with them either.

Carlos seems to be the protagonist, which I think means that Eric is the villain, or at least the serial killer waiting to happen.

Zero II actually appearing in person at the beginning would seem to suggest that they're not one of the prisoners, but there are definitely ways around that.

Now, uh, to see how this holds up to the undoubtedly batshit insane stuff that's going to go down.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Arcvasti posted:

To be fair, kicked puppy is not exactly an unreasonable emotion to be feeling at the moment. Or for the foreseeable future.

Absolutely, she just never comes down off of it. I think it's the big eyes.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is there a video similar to Sideshow Bob's laughter, just devolving into insanity instead of sinister evil? Because it would decently fit my mood here. And this was the third update.

Oh god we're in for a fantastic trip.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Q-Team is so dysfunctional. :allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Q-Team is so dysfunctional. :allears:

Are you implying the other teams are NOT dysfunctional?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
This is going to be fun!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I will vote for the destruction of the Q team at every opportunity. It's 2 assholes and a creepy kid, though if the kid could be saved without the adults I'm all for it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

daermon posted:

I will vote for the destruction of the Q team at every opportunity. It's 2 assholes and a creepy kid, though if the kid could be saved without the adults I'm all for it.

I don't see how team Q is any worse than the others, since we also have Zero First and Zero Third here.
Then there's Junpei because self-evidently life hates him, and Phi is alright I guess? Dropkicking Dio forgiveth for a lot of sins. Hopefully she dropkicks Sigma and/or Zero the Second this game.

What I'm saying is the assholes outnumber the non-assholes in this series.

Random speculation: Zero 2 might be Brother, the cult leader Dio is going to be cloned from. I hope so, because punching Dio will never get old.

Edit:
Even better, one more potential punching target.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 23, 2020

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Omobono posted:

Random speculation: Zero 2 might be Brother, the cult leader Dio is going to be cloned from. I hope so, because punching Dio will never get old.

Minor nitpick: Dio is/was/will be a clone of Left, the brother of Brother.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
There's also Diana, who must be the "Actually I killed six million people" lady from the VLR recording.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Interesting results. D Team was ahead early, then C Team took the lead overnight, then Q Team pulled in front at the end.

Will try and get an update out tonight.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

DKII posted:

In 999, the villain was called Zero. In VLR, which actually takes place after this game, the villain was called Zero III. Now we finally have Zero II.

Not quite. Zero III was just the AI rabbit that explained the rules and ran the facility. The actual "villain" (old Sigma) presumably considered himself Zero II, though everyone calls him Zero Sr in game. Unfortunately he was not aware of this Zero, just the first one from 999 so he got his number wrong.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

whitehelm posted:

Not quite. Zero III was just the AI rabbit that explained the rules and ran the facility. The actual "villain" (old Sigma) presumably considered himself Zero II, though everyone calls him Zero Sr in game. Unfortunately he was not aware of this Zero, just the first one from 999 so he got his number wrong.

I assume Akane would've told him, since even though in Sigma's timeline he hadn't gone through this yet Akane had. Hmm, assuming he and Akane had gone over this to try and figure out how to fix it (in that timeline they'd failed to change history but apparently both survived so there could be useful knowledge) I wonder how much he already knows about what's going on. I guess we'll find out.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I assume Akane would've told him, since even though in Sigma's timeline he hadn't gone through this yet Akane had. Hmm, assuming he and Akane had gone over this to try and figure out how to fix it (in that timeline they'd failed to change history but apparently both survived so there could be useful knowledge) I wonder how much he already knows about what's going on. I guess we'll find out.

Akane told him no one knew exactly what happened at this facility.

Fedule's VLR LP posted:

I'm sorry. I really don't know anything about what happens in there. We don't know how the Radical-6 escaped. We don't even know why it was there in the first place...

Also Junpei certainly didn't remember seeing Akane here unless he's a really great actor.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

whitehelm posted:

Akane told him no one knew exactly what happened at this facility.

Also Junpei certainly didn't remember seeing Akane here unless he's a really great actor.

I guess "gas that causes anterograde amnesia" is a good solution.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Oh boy. Jumping HARD into parallel dimension alternate timeline butterfly effect stuff here, aren't we? I forget the timeline order because it's been too long but it seems like there needs to be a pretty convoluted set of deaths necessary to even make VLR possible to have an attempt at paradoxing VLR out of existence like they planned but isn't that plan confirmed failed? Oof already getting the timeline woobies...

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Also while I've got the other LP open don't forget the main bit of information we have on this incident (I'm cutting out the other guy going "What?" repeatedly):

The VLR LP posted:

This—

Six of us are...dead.

Counting myself, there are only three left.

They were killed.

I...I guess you could say I killed them.

No...no, that's not quite right. Not just them. Not just these six...
All of them...
All six billion...
Soon I will have killed six billion people—

We now have a possible reason for there only being 3 left...the X door only opens at that point. The problem is now we have 4 other people besides this woman who have to survive in the VLR timeline (Sigma, Phi, Akane, Junpei).

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

whitehelm posted:

Also while I've got the other LP open don't forget the main bit of information we have on this incident (I'm cutting out the other guy going "What?" repeatedly):

We now have a possible reason for there only being 3 left...the X door only opens at that point. The problem is now we have 4 other people besides this woman who have to survive in the VLR timeline (Sigma, Phi, Akane, Junpei).
Right, but that's the radical-escaped/world-screwed timeline that everybody is trying to change. All because 4 (or more?) people survived in the VLR timeline doesn't mean that's what's going to happen now.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MagusofStars posted:

Right, but that's the radical-escaped/world-screwed timeline that everybody is trying to change. All because 4 (or more?) people survived in the VLR timeline doesn't mean that's what's going to happen now.

Doesn't it? The recording clearly exists in the VLR timeline. Diana cannot be telling the truth, or that timeline doesn't have two of the four who appear in VLR in it alive... and so VLR can't happen and the cast of VLR can't hear that recording.

Unless VLR timeline is one in which the characters never joined this operation?

I don't know, I worked all this out at the time I played it, but it's been so long it's all faded now.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 23, 2020

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Related to the comments above - I've never wanted to :allears: in my own LP before, what an interesting sensation.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Doesn't it? The recording clearly exists in the VLR timeline. Diana cannot be telling the truth, or that timeline doesn't have two of the four who appear in VLR in it alive... and so VLR can't happen and the cast of VLR can't hear that recording.

Unless VLR timeline is one in which the characters never joined this operation?

I don't know, I worked all this out at the time I played it, but it's been so long it's all faded now.
The recording exists in the VLR timeline, yes, but it wasn't ever specified whether those characters were at DCOM originally or not.

In fact, there's a decent logical argument based on the known facts why the VLR cast members might not have been DCOM in the original timeline:
(i) Radical-6 was released from DCOM
(ii) There was no cure for Radical-6 for years
(iii) Neither Sigma or Junpei have existing antibodies to Radical-6 at the time of VLR given that there are some 'endings' where they die of Radical-6.
(iv) It seems reasonable to assume that the people at ground zero of Radical-6 release would likely get it either during the initial release or shortly thereafter

So given that Akane, Sigma, and Junpei all live for 45+ years after the events at DCOM, it seems like they either somehow avoided Radical-6 despite everybody else getting it or that they weren't there in the first place.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I guess if VLR is the "first loop" and they were never there, then it sort of makes sense if you squint, and ZTD is in a Brave New Timeline where the heroes presumably replaced some nobodies who died in VLR timeline. But thinking about Time poo poo makes my brain go sideways anyway.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Omobono posted:

I don't see how team Q is any worse than the others, since we also have Zero First and Zero Third here.
Then there's Junpei because self-evidently life hates him, and Phi is alright I guess? Dropkicking Dio forgiveth for a lot of sins. Hopefully she dropkicks Sigma and/or Zero the Second this game.

What I'm saying is the assholes outnumber the non-assholes in this series.

Edit:
Even better, one more potential punching target.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Sigma is fine before he becomes Zero Sr and Phi is awesome. Unless this is Zero Sr in which case gently caress him.

As for Junpei, life doesn't hate him. He did make the mistake of falling in love with a psycho.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 4: Execution: Q

Looks like we'll meet Q-Team first. All new characters on this team.

The little picture preview is all we get to see about the fragment before diving in. In this case, Q-Team is looking at the computer screen, prompting them for which team to execute. We only know that much because the last update told us so.

We'll have to play through all three teams before anything else is unlocked. So C-Team will be next, followed by D-Team.

The fragment structure here is about as simple as it gets. A scene, a decision, and two choices. We'll see more complicated ones as we go along.

Yes, let's.

Music: CQD Ward BGM 1

The first thing we see, is a shot of each room in Ward Q as the team explores their area. Prep for what, I wonder?

A decontamination room makes sense if you believe the story about this area being some kind of bomb or fallout shelter.

Uhh, okay?

Pods?

Creepy.

This is weird...

There should be another room around here somewhere.

Let me see it.

Hey.

Mira snatches the map out of Eric's hands here.

Mira...

I'll show off the files for each update at the end. Basically you can now look at this map whenever you want from the menu.

I think the Prep Room is the little one next to the Decontamination Room. So I guess it's prepping for decontamination. And the unmarked room on the left is apparently the one they can't find the entrance to?

Pay no attention to the weird shots of Mira's butt or boobs. That's Mira's line up there, by the way.

The Lounge, as you might have guessed, is the big area where everyone started.

There's some graffiti on the wall. In red paint, or maybe blood. VLR had several of these as well.

What is this?

[Let's inhibit the virus!]

The subtitle has brackets to indicate that Mira is reading, I guess.

Maybe someone's gonna remove or control some kind of virus?

Virus? What virus?

Was there a virus as a plot point in one of the prior games?

Mira responds with a shrug.

Time check! We're halfway through our 90-minute allotment.

Even if C-Team voted for D-Team, and D-Team did the reverse, if we refuse, then we get two votes against us automatically...

It would, if we didn't know how Zero II tied into two other versions of this game. But remember, no one in this group was a part of either previous game.

I get it! You're right!

I bet that means you're part of the whole surprise!

I can't.

Huh?

You'll break my neck!

This group needs to go to a team-building seminar or something.

The game shows us the ceiling again, a sure sign that an animation was cut.

drat. It's really on there...

Wait. I see something on the side of this thing.

What the hell...

Isn't it a password input?

Does that mean the helmet comes off with the right numbers?

So in the previous games, the player would often stumble into these plot locks. When you come across one of these, you're basically stuck and can't proceed without the right information. Said information is typically on a different branch of the timeline. We'll get a preview of two of them in this update.

Ah! Hey!

Really...who are you?

A flashback of some kind, a bit grainy or hazy.

I don't remember. I woke up, and I was here...

Music: CQD Ward BGM 2

A fade to black and then we cut to some time later, with the team relaxing at the bar. I think we've had a breakthrough!

What?

Eric's tone is sharp and angry-sounding still.

These aren't real choices, we'll just do them all in order.

Oh come on. Stop playing.

I told you I don't...

I don't know.

If this isn't a joke, then things are really serious.

Just quiet contemplation here.

Zero said... "it's a game"...

So then he's a psychopath.

That's what I've been saying. I'm sure he's just misunderstood though.

This Zero guy is probably off somewhere enjoying seeing us freak out...

Yeah.

The victim's name was Virginia Bailey, age 28.

The chest was ripped open and the heart entirely removed.

It happened again on May 22, 2026.

The body of a male was found in a trash can near a residence in Sacramento.

The victim's name was Jeffery Foret, age 37.

His body was just like Virginia's, with the heart completely gouged out.

During the whole speech, the camera just keeps slowly zooming in.

H-Hey, w-wait a minute.

Doesn't amnesia leave memorized facts not connected to your identity intact? Still kind of weird information to have on-hand, though.

I don't know why...but I knew.

Next question: Where are we?

Weren't you listening to Zero earlier?

Imagine most of Eric's lines with a healthy amount of derision.

I know that, but where exactly?

Dcom?

We're finally going to get an explanation of what "Dcom" is. Though some readers with memories from VLR have already guessed.

So, it's an experiment to see if we could survive on Mars?

Uh huh.

We all lived together in that compound for five days.

C-Team and D-Team were there too.

Oh, and there was a dog. It was incredibly old. I think his name was Gab...

You weren't there.

Psychological data mostly.

It was a closed environment for a group of people for an extended period of time. So how would that mess with the subjects mentally? That was what they were trying to investigate.

Yeah, the Mars experiment referenced in VLR was less about Mars and more about locking a bunch of people up together in isolation for an extended period. That actually makes more sense, in the context of something clearly having gone off the rails with it here. And there being a group of people here who don't appear to have any business going into space.

Hmm. Tough question.

Eric?

Well, maybe not entirely...

Final question: What is your relationship?

Mira.

Eric.

This guy is totally on the hook.

:newlol:

:roflolmao:

Well we're not NOT, but...!

:stare:

Well that was enlightening, thanks for clearing that up for us.

Musc: Sinisterness Phase 3

With all questions asked, if not answered, we fade to the next scene. What's with the box?

You know, I've been trying to figure something out for a while.

Maybe it's a gift from Zero?

So what, you think there's assorted teas inside?

Hey! What the hell! Stop! What if it's some kind of bomb?!

Hmm, I don't think it is...

I think this is upside down. So...this would be the front...

[Force Quit Box]?

Guess it stops something?

Look, there's also a keyboard.

Looks like you're supposed to input a code of some kind...

And if we get it right?

Then "something" will be forced to end?

But, what?

Your life?

Another look at the ceiling, with a clanging sound in the background.

Music: Initiation (Preamble)

Sure let's all run over there.

Gab? How did you...

You came through the vent?

Just do it will you.

Maybe that's why he has it on his head.

Hey, check this out.

No, we're not checking out another gratuitous shot of Mira.

There's something inside the case.

Is that a coaster?

"Hello. Carlos here. C-Team is voting for D-Team, so D-Team should vote for Q-Team, and Q-Team for C-Team."

Don't you get it? They're saying to spread the votes.

If each team ends up with one vote each...

Okay, now we have a plan. Let's do it!

I know it's been awhile, but the whole point of this fragment, after getting some background on Q-Team, was to vote on a team to execute.

Oh, that's a good point.

You're right. The position of this vent does imply it only connects to Ward C.

I doubt Gab's made his way to Ward D yet.

The arrow on the upper-left is Gab's path between Ward C and Ward Q.

I'll get a pen and cheese!

There was some at the bar, right?

The screen fades to black again while we hear a marker writing in the background. Clearly too complicated to show. But we can see the new addition.

That should do it...

I didn't skip anything, the coaster is just magically back in the tube now.

The game literally faded to black again so it could return with the cap closed and skip another animation. Maybe I need a "skipped animation" counter instead.

What exactly are you doing?

He's been a real A+ contributor to this update.

Suddenly we're in the Prep Room, on the other side of the ward.

Another fade, another clank, and the grill of the vent is removed.

Oh, I get it.

If Ward C and Ward Q have connected vents--

Then Q and D are probably connected as well.

Note the new arrow on the bottom of the diagram.

Yup. We just need to take the cheese and...

I wonder if they threw in the line about Gab being really old to cover for the fact that no dog in history has ever moved like that. Also I've never heard of dogs liking cheese, is that a thing?

It's all on you, Gab.

Think it'll work...?

I'm sure it will.

Music: Dcom (The Beginning)

Five minutes until the deadline.

I wonder if Gab made it to Ward D or not.

Even if he did, who knows if Diana will vote the way it says in the note.

I don't even want to consider the alternative.

Which is...?

That the whole letter from C-Team is a trap.

Trap?

They could've written it, but maybe Carlos is planning to vote for Q-Team instead.

H-Hey, wait a minute now...

You said it.

What? But...

This whole scenario is kind of like a three-way prisoner's dilemma problem. If everyone cooperates, no one dies. If only one team goes against the plan, they gain an advantage in that another team will die, and they'll be safe. But if two teams go against the plan, they could be putting themselves in jeopardy. (And yet if all three teams betray, they're all safe again.)

VLR made heavy use of the prisoner's dilemma problem, in its more traditional form.

A chime sounds and an electronic voice is broadcast to the room. A female computer voice, not Zero's.

What? No, dummy.

A heartbeat thumps in the background again.

Yes, it's finally time!

Music: Tough Decision (Make Your Choice)

Well, you heard the arguments. Every other decision I've asked of you has really led down the same road. This one will really determine what we unlock next. Choose who to execute.

Extras:

By the way, here's the menu. "File" shows us the files we've collected so far, like the map and the coaster note. Like so:

"Flow" can bring you to the fragment flow chart (where you just the detailed diagram for this fragment, including which nodes you've lit up so far), the global flow chart (where you see all the fragments and how they fit together), or the team select screen (in case you can't handle making this decision right now).

"Memo" is a way to store notes to yourself. It was more effective with a stylus on the 3DS. I'm playing the Steam version so my notes are better off in Notepad. Plus I'm literally recording everything already.

"Save" is pretty self-explanatory. "Log" shows all the dialogue from the current fragment, though the current time.

"Options" gives you some standard options for music volume and such.

"Status" is a little different.

Here you get the known status of every one of the players. Right now they're just represented by first initial, since we have almost no information on anyone. I'll check it out every now and then and show off any changes.

DKII fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 12, 2020

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
The only logical choice is to Betray and vote for D Team. C Team is made up of Carlos (complete unknown), Junpei (a.k.a. Tenmyouji, who picked/will pick betray 80% of the time in VLR) and Akane (Literally the original Zero). We cannot trust them in the slightest.

In other news, I can confirm that my dog likes cheese.

In other other news, Eric is voiced by Keith Silverstein, who also lended his voice to the English dub of Persona 5, voicing another character with poor opinions of those drat brats. You better stop bullshitting him, or he'll sue!

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Team D is clearly the one that will deal the most damage, but what roles do team Q and C have...? :thonk:

...on a more serious note I'll vote C-Team for delightful, youthful optimism. (...Also for what it's worth Tenmyouji is most likely a while away from this. Carlos also seems... vaguely trustworthy, from what we've seen of him so far, at least imo.)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Let's stick to the plan. It's only the first decision so we don't need to try to off anyone yet, except Eric. Something about him irks me.

And dogs absolutely loves cheese. It's a great way to get them to take medicine.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

OddHaberdasher posted:

The only logical choice is to Betray and vote for D Team. C Team is made up of Carlos (complete unknown), Junpei (a.k.a. Tenmyouji, who picked/will pick betray 80% of the time in VLR) and Akane (Literally the original Zero). We cannot trust them in the slightest.

In other news, I can confirm that my dog likes cheese.

In other other news, Eric is voiced by Keith Silverstein, who also lended his voice to the English dub of Persona 5, voicing another character with poor opinions of those drat brats. You better stop bullshitting him, or he'll sue!

If C-team is lying and voted for Q-team, Q-team's probably already dead no matter what they vote because they passed the note on telling D-team to vote Q also. If C-team is telling the truth, your decision would kill D-team.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Q's :allears: face is the cutest goddamn thing, he is a very good boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Looking at the vote, looks like we're all a bunch of suckers this time :colbert:

I include me in this statement of course. :sweatdrop: