Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The setup of this game is certainly interesting, at least compared to VLR. VLR's explicit connection to 999 was tenuous and unclear for a long time, all of the characters save Clover were entirely new (or so we thought) and even Clover was only a bit player in the most important revelations of the previous game. In this game we have at least four returning characters, their relationships to each other and to the larger plot of the first two games are laid out in the open right from the start, and evidently Sigma has been trying to tell anyone who can listen everything that's been going on to this point. It's remarkably straightforward and it doesn't look like the game is trying to hide anything about why we're here.

Of course, since this is Uchikoshi we're talking about I imagine he has us exactly where he wants us before the rug gets pulled out under us yet again. :allears: It'd be more prudent to not that anything in that previous paragraph for granted.

EDIT - Also Sigma is a huge guy looking at him now, although part of that is probably cause Phi is just that tiny. Although I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given K in VLR.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

You don't get Phi's C/D joke? Oh you sweet summer child... :j:

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I'm sure OP gets it. I'm equally sure that they think it's out of place and drags the scene down, like me. Correct me if I'm wrong, OP

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Truthkeeper posted:

I jsut keep thinking to myself how much better this looks than the 3DS version, where Phi looked like the shadow of her glasses was tattooed on her face. I dunno, I guess it could just be the screencaps vs. seeing it animated.

Personally I was more distracted by the fact that the large emblem on Sigma's shirt was such an indistinct low-res pixellated blur that they would've been better off just removing it entirely, not that it looks that great in this version either.

The distinct V shape in front of his bicep on his inner arm, as seen on the right side of this SS, also looks kinda weird:

I assume it's supposed to be some kind of cell shading but nobody else with short sleeves (ie. mostly Junpei) has it.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The reason Junpei is acting so different from 999 is that actually he's Santa.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Cloacamazing! posted:

The reason Junpei is acting so different from 999 is that actually he's Santa.

https://twitter.com/ZeroEscapePosts/status/1258480470662221828

(There’s also going to be major spoilers for this game on that twitter, of course — but this particular one is for 999).

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 25, 2020

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Truthkeeper posted:

Hey DKII, you're playing the Steam version, right? Because despite you pointing out the cheap animation savers and goofs, I jsut keep thinking to myself how much better this looks than the 3DS version, where Phi looked like the shadow of her glasses was tattooed on her face. I dunno, I guess it could just be the screencaps vs. seeing it animated.

Yeah it's the Steam version. I think it's a port of the PS Vita version with some associated visual improvements. There are no shadows at all though which can be weird for some people. I hear the PS4 port is actually even better that way, but haven't seen it myself.

The animations often look like poorly-manipulated marionettes regardless of version. And that's when the animation is more then "camera slowly pans while characters stand still and someone's lips (maybe) move". I'm actually showing the best ones.

OddHaberdasher posted:

I'm sure OP gets it. I'm equally sure that they think it's out of place and drags the scene down, like me. Correct me if I'm wrong, OP

Yeah I guess it's more I don't find it funny? "Haha my boobs are secretly big under here"?

Poll results are in and despite a late comeback attempt, we're sticking with the plan. Fortunately I'd already guessed that and have the update ready to go right now!

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 7: All Teams Survived

The plan is complete - we're going to have a three-way tie.

Each team has received one vote.

Surely nothing can go wrong here. I mean, winning the coin toss worked out for us, right?

Music: Clarification 2nd Mix

Do you think it'll be okay...?

All we could do was trust them.

Here comes Zero again. Nothing new here.

Sleep well, as the next game will begin when you awake.

One final thing. You've gone through with the vote exactly as I commanded.

You deserve a reward for obeying.

There sure are a lot of TVs in here. Anyway...

Pleasant dreams...

And everyone's out.

Fade to static....

And we're back here again. What happened?

A peek at the flow chart gives us some information. There are four icons on the left, with one lit up.

Well, that was the goal, right? Those other three icons, though....

If you look back at the previous image, you can just make out four main branches leading down to the rest of the flowchart. Four branches, four icons....

With the full flowchart open, there are a lot of new fragments available. With no information as to how they fit in, or even what branch they're on. It's hard to see what these are, but if you compare them to the tour we got of each ward, you can figure a lot of it out.

Top middle is Akane holding a chainsaw. No further comment necessary. Middle left just shows the team standing around in the Infirmary. Bottom left has everyone in what looks like Control, maybe a part of the room we can't see from the initial shot. Bottom right is clearly the Decontamination Room. And the new fragment on the middle right is in the Rec Room. That means the chainsaw image is likely for either the Pantry or the Power Room. I'll use my powers of LP foresight to tell you it's the Pantry.

Q-Team has four new fragments. On the bottom left is their version of the Decontamination Room. The bottom middle is hard to see but the floor pattern matches the Biolab. The bottom right shows a close-up of Eric in the Pod Room. And the middle right has Q holding a crossbow in the Mystery Room. Remember how there was one room in Ward Q with no label that they couldn't access?

D-Team shows five new fragments. Upper left is what looks like the Healing Room. Middle left shows Diana with a huge revolver in the foreground. Careful examination of the background reveals this scene to be in the Trash Disposal Room. In the center we have Sigma and Diana in what I think is the Transporter Room from the floor pattern. Lower right is another Decontamination Room. Middle right has the whole team in what must be either Manufacturing or the Locker Room. I can't tell which from the image, but a quick lookahead at the fragment tells me it's Manufacturing.

In addition to all of those options, we can also replay any fragment that isn't completed. At the moment, that includes the three Execution fragments, one for each team.

To sum it all up, you now have 17 different options. And yes, I made a 17-option poll for it. Try to persuade others in the thread to your side, because I don't want to deal with an 8-way tie of three votes each. Select the story fragment.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is exactly why I always said I could never LP this game, but we're really diving into the 17-way poll. Absolute madman. Awe.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If you aren't voting for either chainsaw Akane or child with crossbow I don't know why you're reading this lp.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've played this game so I know what happens, and I'll keep quiet, but for now my vote is on Healing Room for D-Team.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chainsaw Akane was the first fragment I did on my playthrough and it was glorious.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If we're doing it this way then I say we choose 1 team to follow until we get stopped by some plot locks.

I vote for D team because Phi is all kinds of awesome. Now I want to repurchase VLR to play again.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

If you're doing it in the default CQD order and from top to bottom, chainsaw Akane will be the one you'll go first.

I like to think that's intentional.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

DKII posted:

I don't want to deal with an 8-way tie of three votes each.

Use your LP-er prerogative and pick if it happens? Or pick randomly? If it's good enough for elections it's good enough for a LP.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

sirtommygunn posted:

If you aren't voting for either chainsaw Akane or child with crossbow I don't know why you're reading this lp.

Akane with bloody chainsaw. Or rusty, it's hard to tell. Given this game, though...

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

daermon posted:

If we're doing it this way then I say we choose 1 team to follow until we get stopped by some plot locks.
I think this idea is a good one. Makes a lot more sense than jumping around randomly. Take whichever team wins this first one, then let's just stick with that team for a while. Also might help build a more consistent narrative with the teams since there doesn't seem to be a true "main character" like there was for 999/VLR.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Akane with bloody chainsaw. Or rusty, it's hard to tell. Given this game, though...

Given this game, it'll be first rusty then bloody.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I am posting my top three desired fragments.

For C Team, I'd go with Pantry. That looks like a good, wholesome Nevada Chainsaw Massacre, and who doesn't want that?

For D Team, the Healing Room, because I was there for the last (abandoned) thread, and the Healing Room was a real laugh.

Also for D Team, Trash Disposal. Because anyone who's watched any of the OST linked in this thread knows exactly where that guns going.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Fedule posted:

This is exactly why I always said I could never LP this game, but we're really diving into the 17-way poll. Absolute madman. Awe.

The one thing I knew going in was there was no way I was going to try and tabulate votes in the thread itself. Fortunately I'd used this off-site poll before and knew it would work well for this LP.

Omobono posted:

Use your LP-er prerogative and pick if it happens? Or pick randomly? If it's good enough for elections it's good enough for a LP.

I'll save my vote until the end so I can break any ties. :ssh:

All 17 options have to be taken eventually (I think), so you really can just pick whatever you want to see first. And you can't really follow a team to the end of a path, because there's no way to see what fragments connect to each other ahead of time. It really is wide open!

And in case it wasn't clear, replaying a fragment means changing the outcome. Which I'll steer as needed.

DKII fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 25, 2020

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Junpei posted:

I've played this game so I know what happens, and I'll keep quiet, but for now my vote is on Healing Room for D-Team.

This is where I'm voting too. I'm a sucker for D-Team and the Healing Room is honestly the best fragment to illustrate something someone said that I can't find.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Omobono posted:

Given this game, it'll be first rusty then bloody.

I think it's worth mentioning here that while deaths usually happen off-camera they are fully voiced. It's some of the most gut-wrenchingly visceral stuff I've experienced in a game, right up there with Sleeping Dogs's environment kills.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bruceski posted:

I think it's worth mentioning here that while deaths usually happen off-camera they are fully voiced. It's some of the most gut-wrenchingly visceral stuff I've experienced in a game, right up there with Sleeping Dogs's environment kills.

I heartily recommend Return of the Obra Din if you like "extremely brutal awful deaths that you hear but don't really get to see happening"

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

sirtommygunn posted:

Cause you obviously made those same fun choices already in your own personal playthrough, and can't help but wonder now how the story progression feels if you don't make a beeline to those immediately? :cheeky:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I mean, come on. It's Akane with a chainsaw. This shouldn't even be as close as it is and it isn't even that close. :getin: :black101:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
e: never mind this is kind of obnoxious wink wink nod nod sorry y'all

Leraika fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 25, 2020

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Now that we've gotten past the introductions, here's the prologue for this game written by Uchikoshi if you haven't seen it. It was included in the preorder bonus artbook.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=156765

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So if it's all that random, Akane with chainsaw and then child with crossbow.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
My thoughts on the prologue:

Wow, Sigma wasted no time with the doomsday talk. I'm surprised he held back long enough to get psychologically cleared for DCOM.

Carlos must really need the money if he'd rather spend who knows how long with a guy who started ransacking the place with a crowbar after only a few hours, than risk the experiment being shut down.

So, Akane only knows about Sigma and Radical-6 because of information from her future self, but only bits and pieces. Implications that Future Akane knew more about what happened here than she let on...

I wonder what happened to Junpei...

Either Sigma still hasn't gotten over Luna, or Diana and him have a complicated relationship in the VLR timeline. I suppose that there must have been some interaction, if Luna was based off her...

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

OddHaberdasher posted:

My thoughts on the prologue:

Wow, Sigma wasted no time with the doomsday talk. I'm surprised he held back long enough to get psychologically cleared for DCOM.

Ha. Psychologically cleared. You're funny. Do any of these people sound like a shrink would let them within 100 miles of a sensitive experiment?

OddHaberdasher posted:

Either Sigma still hasn't gotten over Luna, or Diana and him have a complicated relationship in the VLR timeline. I suppose that there must have been some interaction, if Luna was based off her...

In VLR, it wasn't that complicated. Diana went to work on the super-cool moon base with Dr. Sigma Klim, they fell in love, she died. Klim threw himself into his work, cloned himself, his clone son wanted a mother, so he built a Diana-lookalike gaulem.

Dudethunder
Jan 12, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

In VLR, it wasn't that complicated. Diana went to work on the super-cool moon base with Dr. Sigma Klim, they fell in love, she died. Klim threw himself into his work, cloned himself, his clone son wanted a mother, so he built a Diana-lookalike gaulem.

Man, if it doesn't happen in the game I really hope someone did one of those "In which the characters watch/read/play the source material" fanfics. Just so I can see the character's reactions to such things as "Yes, the organizers of the previous and next ambidex games are totally here", "That weirdo is actually your husband from the future", and "No, seriously, that's how minds work".

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Lots of people want to see the Pantry for some reason. By far the highest participation level yet, too.

I'll try and get the update out tonight.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Looking forward to Pantry and Stocking with Garterbelt.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Not sure why everybody is so interested in the pantry. Come on guys, clearly the chainsaw was just the most efficient way to cut some steaks off the full cow that Zero provided for dinner.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Just when I was starting to make preparations to LP this game, I find out I don't have to. Yay!

My initial plan was to allow the thread limited control over what team we'd cover in the next update, then randomize the fragment we'd do next. But if you can make a fully open vote work this well the whole time, I'm totally on board.

I will say that there are some good moments in the voice acting that this LP format doesn't capture, like how panicked and scared the kid's voice sounds sometimes, or the voice modulation effect on Zero. If anyone wants me to record video and supplement the LP with it, just let me know.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yknow I think I'm just going to put a generalised :allears: for all the future thread reactions that I am looking forward to. Not just the next fragment in particular, but in general.

:allears:

poo poo gets wild.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Solitair posted:

Just when I was starting to make preparations to LP this game, I find out I don't have to. Yay!

My initial plan was to allow the thread limited control over what team we'd cover in the next update, then randomize the fragment we'd do next. But if you can make a fully open vote work this well the whole time, I'm totally on board.

I will say that there are some good moments in the voice acting that this LP format doesn't capture, like how panicked and scared the kid's voice sounds sometimes, or the voice modulation effect on Zero. If anyone wants me to record video and supplement the LP with it, just let me know.

Funny you should say that, I've been stretching the limitations of the SSLP format with the cutscene at the end of this update. If you had video files for the cutscenes put up on YouTube (or even just audio files with the voice track) I'll go back and lay them in and add you to the credits.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
If I can make one suggestion, I think it's a little weird and hard to read when there's a screenshot where it's not clear who's speaking, and then after the screenshot you write "by the way, character X is talking here." Maybe just MSPaint the speaking character's head next to the subtitle? You wouldn't need to do it that much, just for cases where the speaker is ambiguous. I think it would help the dialogue flow a lot better.

Having played this game a few years back, I'm interested to see how well all the big :allears: twists get foreshadowed. But holy poo poo do the models and cinematography look even worse in screenshot form. (That's a dig at the game, not your LPing :v: )

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 8: Suspicion (1 of 2)

Akane with a chainsaw was a big draw for people, so we'll start with the Pantry. Before that, I wanted to link in the prologue chapter which describes the days spent by the teams at Dcom prior to the events of this game. It's mostly re-affirming what we've already heard in the last few updates, but still a good read. It was included with pre-orders of the game, along with an artbook. Thanks to whitehelm for posting it!

So, Akane with a chainsaw.

The fragment structure is a little more complicated, but still just two branches.

Time to start the meat of the game! Let's go!

Music: CQD Ward BGM 2

This is...

The Pantry...

It's just after 18:00. We fell asleep after that vote at 13:30. Are we just waking up now? Or have there been more fragments in between?

He was already gone when I woke up...

The focus is on the foreground here as Akane walks through, looking for Junpei.

Carlos just watches her walk by.

We're locked in, so you probably know what's coming. Still have to deal with more :words: before we get there, though.

Maybe now he's Zero's accomplice...

Not a bad first theory, actually. Junpei could be trying to get revenge on Akane for last year. But how would everyone else fit in?

The Junpei I know would never do something like that to us...

Akane still think Junpei is the same person from 999.

Sorry.

Missing Lip Animations: 8

You know, this's been on my mind for awhile...

The fact that Carlos is walking like a robot here should not be taken as evidence that Carlos is or is not a robot.

But what exactly is he to you, Akane?

Junpei...

Music: Morphogenetic Sorrow (Mix 3)

That's surprising.

But that's not exactly...

Junpei always said... I was a girl who "always said what shouldn't be said". I never found myself bullied or anything,

That pretty well describes the Junpei from 999, actually.

Yes. To me he is, at the very least...

There is at least one fragment where we find out what Junpei has been up to in the last year, but not in this one.

If it was because of me somehow...then this time I need to rush to his aid.

Akane is being a bit disingenuous here, but Carlos doesn't actually know that she was the one behind the events of a year ago.

My coworkers do always come to me with their stories though. So, I can tell.

We've devolved into a mild soap opera, now.

There is.

Ew, no, Akane, just...no.

Oh, a joke, right.

Right. I bet you're eager to see your dearest love as soon as you can.

Ah! Carlos!

Whatever. Let's get started with the first puzzle/escape room!

Music: Pantry

Finally, the game gets interactive! More so than choosing between two options, anyway. Let's start with a quick tour of the room.

Looks pretty typical for a pantry in a bomb shelter. Lots of boxes, a fridge, a microwave-looking thing, couple of doors. Something was a bit off about that fridge though.

The status screen just shows that we don't really know anything other than Carlos and Akane are alive, due to them being both present in the room.

Well to start, let's look at this device in front of us.

The game zooms in. There's a weird figure indentation here.

Is that hole really that fascinating?

In puzzle rooms, dialogue is neither voiced nor animated. You get these text boxes instead.

Did you bake heart-shaped cookies full of love for your darling Junpei?

Oh Carlos... Would you please stop teasing me...

A lot of the humor in the prior games was in the dialogue in the puzzle rooms. Some of the plot can get revealed in these as well.

Well, what's with this slider, then?

The man-shaped hole and the ON/OFF markers... What could this be?

The power seems to be off on this machine.

Doesn't the hole in this panel look like a gingerbread man? I wonder what it could be.

Clicking the same object multiple times sometimes gives different dialogue.

The power's off. And there's a gingerbread man-shaped hole on the control panel.

Let's move on and look at the door to the right.

Clicking again...

Brute force won't work on this thing. It won't open if we don't unlock it.

There's a password input device next to it. How about we try putting a number in?

Fair enough, let's look at that next.

Four digits... Okay, let's give it a shot.

Anybody have a favorite 4-digit number?

Hmm... I guess the number's wrong.

No luck. Guess we do this one the hard way.

Anything going on up here?

...What's wrong with the air duct, Carlos?

Nothing. I just thought maybe we could get out that way...

It's way too small, even for me.

...You're right. We'll have to think of another way.

Second click...

The air duct must connect to somewhere, but I don't think we can escape through it.

How about the boxes to the left of the machine?

If we get hungry we can come back here, but there's no need to do that now.

All of the darker boxes say the same thing after that.

There's preserved food in these boxes. We don't need them right now.

The one on the ground, however, looks a little different.

...Is that...?

Ahh! Th-This is a...!

There's really nothing else aside from the leg here...

Let's keep looking.

It's a fake right leg. Nothing else here.

Ok, fine, let's move on. To the right of the freezer door is the fridge.

Makes sense, let's try it out.

Nope, locked. I guess random button presses won't work.

Guess we're gonna need to find a clue here, too. Lots of interesting stuff in the fridge, but we can't get at any of it yet.

This glass door is locked. A bunch of green lines are all over it, too.

Something in between there, too.

There's an odd blue doll and what seems to be a right arm on the other side of the glass.

Ok, what about the right side?

I can see a bottle and a card on the other side of the glass.

This door is locked... And what's up with all these pink lines?

Second try--

There's a bottle and some sort of card inside.

How about the middle?

Looks like we need to unlock it from both sides.

Anything interesting on the ceiling?

I don't think anything's wrong with the light up there...

Junpei probably isn't hiding above it... Let's keep looking.

Ok, fine. What about this other light above the door?

This light's a little strong. My eyes hurt looking at it.

I'm guessing it was put here for better lighting. But yeah, a little too bright.

All right, fine, let's look at the door instead.

Zero wouldn't lock us in a place that'd be that easy to escape from. Let's keep looking.

I think that door leads back to the Lounge. Makes sense that Carlos would think he could break it down, being a firefighter. I'm gonna click it again.

A wooden door. It's locked.

Right, moving on.

Next up is a box in a cabinet.

Huh? What's this?

It's round... Maybe it's a knob for a machine?

The "round part" is automatically picked up, giving the first look at the inventory screen.

You can click+hold+drag to rotate the item around. Each item can also be examined for some extra dialogue. In this case:

A round, yellow part.

If you look closely, you can see a tiny triangle.

Maybe it's a machine part?

Second time:

A round, yellow piece with a small triangle on it.

Have we seen any machines? Okay this one almost doesn't count as a puzzle, but let's finish exploring the room.

First, there's more in the box. In addition to the potatoes, there's some writing which my color-blind self can barely make out. "L-door -->" and "<-- R-door". Also, notice the "round part" in the upper left. Clicking will attempt to use the selected inventory item, if appropriate, and be treated like a regular click otherwise.

You're right! Time to fire up the grill and--

Chow...down... On second thought, I don't feel much like eating while we're stuck here.

Another click, and...

You know, I remember doing a school science experiment with potatoes before...

Sometimes the extra click gets you a hint. We don't have the required item yet, though.

There's a bright something against the wall here but I think it's just decorative or something, I wasn't able to click on it. There are handles on the bottom of the cabinet that hint at sliding doors.

AH! This is...!

A left arm... Pretty sure it's fake.

Ooookay then. Anything else in here?

Is there a reason for that?

Hmm. Let's click the arm again.

A fake arm is attached to a bar and handcuffed.

Ok, how about the chain?

drat, no use. It's locked on the wrist.

There's a spot for a key... Maybe there's one around here somewhere?

And again...

The handcuff isn't coming off. Let's find the key for it.

The bar?

The bar holding the arm in place is made of metal.

It's in here really good. I don't think we can take it off...

Trying again gets the game to tell us to move on.

The bar is locked in place. We can't remove it.

The door automatically closes when we're done. But there's still another side to examine.

Eeek! Th-This is...

A left leg? Is Zero trying to scare us?

Power to make gelatin.

Another inventory item.

Gelatin powder is mostly for baking, but it has uses in everyday cooking, too.

Oh Carlos, I didn't know you liked to cook!

My mom's the one. I've seen her use it in stew or pasta sometimes.

What a nice mother. I'm a little jealous.

It was a long time ago. But the memory is still so clear in my head.

Apparently I forgot to click that one a second time. Oh well. There's more in the cabinet.

What the hell, Zero... Putting something like that in here.

Right, let's keep going.

Oh..some crackers! These would go perfectly with tea.

The packaging makes them look good... But I can't say I have much of an appetite.

All the boxes here say the same thing.

The box here contains some crackers. Let's get together and eat some when we escape.

Another bright light with some more flavor text.

Okay, okay, I'll click on the poster.

If there's a recipe, then there's probably ingredients too.

Akane knows how these puzzle rooms work.

You should make some and give it to Junpei when we see him. "I made it just for you..."

No... I'm not bold enough to say something like that.

You kidnapped a bunch of people and tortured them to save yourself as a small child. You can drop the timid act.

That's too bad. A girl like you saying that would definitely capture his heart.

Right, so the poster itself. Ingredients are powder, water, and a mold - we've got one of those already. Pour the water into the mold, add the powder, and throw it in the strange machine, and voila! Instant gelatin.

This box up here is suspicious.

There's nothing we can use here.

Oh, fine.

The rest of the boxes yield the same line. Moving on, then.

It's very easy to miss, but there's another sliding door here. And you'll be stuck in this room at this point without it. I spent way too much time looking for this spot in my first playthrough.

Gah! What IS this?!

Is this...a torso?

Forget that, grab the bottle!

It says iodine solution.

Iodine solution in a bottle.

I remember being told as a kid to never put any of it in my mouth.

And the more you're told not to, the more you want to do it... Did you try it?

I WAS curious... But I knew a boy who did and he got severely reprimanded as a result.

Let me guess... Junpei? Man, that guy...

Ok, fine, I'll look at the torso.

Why would you think that, Akane. It's just a realistic fake.

...You're right. It couldn't be real.

But none of them are labeled. I wonder what they hold...

There's a lot of unlabeled cans here. No way to know what's inside.

Okay, that's the whole room. We have three items - a round part that looks like a dial, some powder but no mold to put it in, and a bottle of iodine.

Thing left in the room to interact with - a box with half-cut potatoes in it, an unknown machine with no power, a locked fridge, locked freezer, and a handcuffed arm.

We still don't have any way to unlock the locked things, so let's start with the potatoes.

I happen to already be holding the right item here.

Don't potatoes change when iodine solution is dropped on them?

Yes. The starch reacts with the iodine and turns purple.

:science:

D-U-D-L-L-R. Anyone familiar with video games before the analog stick should recognize a set of directional inputs. Now if only we had a lock that accepted directions as an input....

Oh, look! Letters appeared!

That must mean the experiment was successfull.

Clicking again--

It reads D U D L L R. I wonder what it means.

I have no idea... What about L-door and R-door?

Right, back to the fridge then.

Sure, let's try out our new code.

Huh. The letters on the potatoes were a hint after all.

I never would've imagined something I learned in grade school would help me now.

Stay in school, kids.

Okay, what do we have in here?

Wait, something's on the screen.

It's a rotating piece puzzle. I was pretty good at this one so you can watch me solve it in quadruple-time:

I'm glad we started with one of the easier puzzle rooms in the series.

Let's see what's in it... Some kind of mold?

Two of three gelatin ingredients acquired.

What is this exactly?

It kind of looks like a cookie cutter, but it has a bottom. Maybe it's for gelatin?

Gelatin, huh? I see...

Now for the lower shelf.

I doubt it's real, but that's no reason to keep looking at this creepy thing.

Selecting the handcuff chain--

The handcuff is locked.

There's a key hole here. We just need to unlock it with a key.

And another click!

The arm can't be removed, but we can take the doll.

And so we do.

Carlos, this blue doll... It feels cold.

It was in the refrigerator, of course it's cold.

It makes me think of those cold packs you use when you have a fever.

I doubt anyone would ever put that doll on their face, Akane.

A cold, blue doll. It feels so nice, I don't want to stop holding it.

Well, nothing more to do there. Let's try the other side of the fridge now. I'll just put in the code again, and--

It didn't work... Did we enter the pattern wrong?

Oh, right. Remember the writing on the box with the potatoes? "L-door -->" and "<-- R-door". That means the code reads from left-to-right for the left fridge door, and from right-to-left for the right fridge door. So if I put in the code backwards instead...

Success!

So the reaction to the iodine test on the potatoes WAS the hint for the door.

And now we can get to the things inside.

That's another area where a lot of players get stuck.

The right door is open now. Let's look at the bottom shelf first.

It's a bottle with water in it.

Hm, could be useful. Let's take it with us.

Yeah, considering we have a recipe whose only missing ingredient is water, seems like it could come in handy.

If you drink from it you gain superhuman powers and you can break down the door...

I wish that was true. Don't try it though. It might have poison inside.

I just thought it'd be nice to be the hero... But you're right.

I was wondering how they'd spice up a description of water, and I was not disappointed.

It shows a doll... Is it saying we should heat it up?

We've got our first quest file!

I guess we could try heating it up. Think we can get the machine working now?

No point to searching here anymore. We should look somewhere else.

Well, there is one more thing here. The writing on the left and right fridge doors has merged together. Can you make it out?

Left hand plus doll, huh...

Maybe this will make more sense later. We've seen a left-hand somewhere already (the arm in this fridge has the right hand, though). And we're holding a doll already. But just in case let's click it again.

Left hand plus doll... Hmm.

If it's supposed to be a math equation, shouldn't we change the words to numbers?

Keep that in mind for later.

The machine is next. It's got an indentation that looks suspiciously like a combination of our mold and our "round part".

You don't get a hint for it, since it's not really needed, but that T-shaped mark in the head of the figure there matches the back side of the "round part". It's also the only circular thing we've seen so might as well try it anyway.

This depression in the panel must be the power switch! Let's see if we can use it.

I kinda thought I'd have to more than that, but okay.

Well, now the power's on, but what's with the rest of this hole?

I don't know... Maybe our hand goes in?

...Nothing's happening. Just what is this for?

Is there anything that can fit in this tiny man-shaped hole?

Yes!

It's just a little too big.

Never mind, that must be where the gelatin goes when we finish making it.

If you were wondering how we were going to make gelatin in a microwave, there's your answer. It can cool things, too. Even though there's a fridge across the room that does the same thing.

I don't think warming or cooling this will do anything...

That's the reaction to me trying to shove the empty mold in there.

The blue doll seems to work, though.

From the file we got, it's already blue = cool. So let's try to warm it up.

How about we try warming it up.

The door opens, nothing goes in, the machine hums for a bit, the door opens again, nothing comes out. Just...pretend that the doll went in and came out, okay?

Look at that... The color turned a pale pink.

He'd been trapped in that refrigerator so long that his skin turned blue.

I feel kinda bad for this little guy now...

I just realized that 'fridge' has a 'd' but 'refrigerator' does not. Weird. Anyway...

The doll is not only now pink, it has numbers on it! "1234" isn't the code by itself, but we do have half of the equation from the fridge doors now.

The doll turned pale. The number 1234 is on its stomach.

Look close. I'd thought it was ketchup, but it looks like it was written with blood.

Ketchup? Really?

You have to admit that it'd be pretty funny. Zero using ketchup to write this out.

Another function of the inventory screen is combining items. Pick an item, press "Combine", and then drag other items to combine with it into the center.

In this case, adding the bottle of water to the mold results in...

Yeah, descriptive name I guess.

Add the powder...

:ughh:

Anyway let's throw it in the microwave/flash-freezer.

Let's cool this down.

Two door openings later....

Oh! It turned solid. Now we have gelatin.

Indeed we do. No need for the mold anymore so we just toss it on the ground or something.

Wow! Carlos, Carlos! It's so jiggly!

It might look delicious, but there's no sugar in it. It won't taste good.

Well, you just ruined my appetite... Why is reality so cruel.

And so we do.

Huh? I heard a sound from below the machine.

Oh, look! The drawer at the bottom opened.

Huh? Hey, that's a...

A key. I wonder what it's for?

A key...

It's pretty small. What is it for?

I don't know... Let's try using it with every keyhole we find.

Not a lot of options left. But I do have two arms that are attached to two sets of handcuffs.

First, the right arm in the fridge.

Yes, it worked! We got the arm!

It's in a fist too... Oh! Does that mean...?!

No, I really don't think it wants to win at rock paper scissors...

We know what to do with cold things by now, right?

Let's unlock this one, too. Right side, bottom part of the cabinet, next to the door to the Lounge.

Maybe this is the key for the handcuff?

Yes! The arm has been freed!

5, 2, and..a 9?

Numbers representing the left hand, you say?

So, this spot is another common area to get stuck. Notice anything about those numbers? Let's click the hand again to make sure.

Hm, the number on the hand could be read upside down, too.

So the number is either 529 or 625.

Before we head for the freezer, I've got one more stop to make at the microwave.

Let's shove the cold right arm in there and warm it up!

Maybe if we heat this up something will change.

Uh..the hand, it...opened.

It got all warm and soft. Ugh, this whole gimmick is really gross...

Uhhh...

It's a fake right arm. Heating it caused the hand to open.

...Did you just play rock paper scissors with it, Carlos?

Wh-What?! Like I would do something so...childish!

To the freezer!

Um, no, no it's not. It's exactly 10,000 combinations. All the numbers from 0000 to 9999. Come on, game.

If you didn't get the hint that the numbers on the hand might be upside-down, you might enter this answer. 1234+529 = 1763.

...Aaaand that was wrong.

A four digit number... Is there a hint in here?

And then the panic would set in here. What could I have missed, you might ask?

Luckily for you, you don't have to experience that kind of frustration here. 1234+625 = 1859. Wait, what did that unlock?

Yes, but it only opened the cover. We have another step.

Selecting the hand icon with no inventory--

It looks like a hand mark. Maybe it needs a palm print?

Let's see if my right hand will work.

Well, my hand isn't it. Want to give it a try, Akane?

It didn't work... My hand isn't the right one either.

Neither of our hands are right... Then whose hand is?

A right hand palm print... And it's not me or Carlos...

Another right hand... Something in this room, maybe?

Luckily we picked another one up already. If we hadn't put it in the microwave, it'd still be a closed fist and unusable here.

I wonder what's inside? Let's open the door.

Uh, what was that?

No... NO...

No way. You have GOT to be kidding me...

I'm guessing at the speaker of those lines - they're still not voiced.

Puzzle room solved! :confuoot:

I considered ending the update here for a few seconds and picking up the rest tomorrow. There's a no-joke 10-minute cut-scene coming up next. But I didn't want the angry mob coming after me. But it did get too big for one post, so the rest will follow in a minute.

DKII fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 9: Suspicion (2 of 2)

Edit: A present for the later readers - here's a full video of this whole update, since it's awesome.

Music: Consternation 2nd Mix

The screen is shaking, and there's a high-pitched scream.

Noooo!

No poo poo. Do you know how hard it was for me to shut up the other thirteen times this was blatantly hinted at?

A chainsaw, and a firefighter's axe.

Now seems like a good time for the lady computer to chime in. The camera has been shaking since the puzzle room ended, by the way. Trying to mirror the rattled psyche of the characters.

So long, D-Team.

Wait a minute - those weren't mannequin parts at all, were they?

I need an icon for computer lady if she's going to keep babbling like this.

I know JUMP is for Junpei based on his nickname from Akane being "Jumpy" in 999. RED is probably Diana for her hair/outfit. Don't remember if BLUE is Sigma and MILK is Phi or the other way around.

Edit: The thread pointed out that MILK is KLIM backwards, which is Sigma's last name. BLUE and RED are for Diana and Phi for some reason - the order of the X-Passes matches the order of the team's names on the Status screen, which I'll show later.

What, you didn't think we were getting out of this game clean, did you? Given that all of D-Team is gone, I'm guessing we're in the timeline where they got executed?

Who would do such a thing...?

This room is locked. So, the one who killed Junpei is...

One of these two? Not sure that holds up when they woke up here from an anasthetic - anything could have happened in between.

Now would be a good time to remember that violence warning I put in about five updates ago.

A crashing sound, and the screen shakes violently. Poor Akane.

Just kidding, he's breaking down the door.

Several more swings, but he's not making much progress.

Carlos is distracted by the sound of an engine starting up....

Oh boy, here we go!

The screens shakes again as we hear the chainsaw rip into something.

It's just the door again. Guess you all picked this fragment for nothing.

Wood chips flying everywhere.

Guess that's Junpei's blood? Still more chainsaw noises in the background here.

Hope we don't need that door later.

Fade to black. But we're not done yet.

Music: CQD: BAD END

Pay no attention to that track title, I'm sure we're fine.

Akane is sobbing.

At least Gab is here to offer some comfort. Wait, why is Gab here? How is Gab here?

Junpei...

The "scoreboard" in the Lounge lists those killed in the game.

That reminds me, let's check out the status screen now that we have a casualty update.

Each character gets a strange little doll icon here. And they turn dark when that character is confirmed to be dead.

I just don't know anymore...

Dammit...

All I wanted was to get that five hundred thousand dollars...

That's all I wanted! And now...

Flashback time! Seems like a good time to learn more about Carlos, right?

Reverie Syndrome?

[Unknown Male Doctor:] Ah, for example... Hmm... Say there's a PC with basic, low-end components. If we played a number of videos all at once on it, what would happen?

The processing speed slows down, of course...

[Unknown Male Doctor:] It's not much better than if the computer had froze. What's happening with your younger sister is similar.

So you're saying this isn't carbon monoxide poisoning but...

[Unknown Male Doctor:] Right. With Maria, her brain and nervous system seem to be perfectly fine. We couldn't figure out the cause until now.

And they have...

[Unknown Male Doctor:] Reverie Syndrome. A variety of moments flicker in and out of the mind, as if one was constantly dreaming. That's why it's called the daydream, or reverie, syndrome. There have been no complete recoveries as of yet. However, it seems with the newest medical technology, a few cases have been successful at relieving the symptoms.

Then please, you must do the same for her--!

[Unknown Male Doctor:] Does little Maria...have insurance? You...do understand what's required for treatment, yes?

Well, that's why Carlos needs the money. If we combine that information with what Akane said about Reverie Syndrome a few updates ago, it seems like the looming global crisis (six billion dead from a virus, perhaps) is pre-emptively triggering people to enter "crisis mode", access the morphogenetic field, and just get stuck there, overloaded with images.

Akane is no longer sobbing, but not looking up, either.

That's why you killed Junpei, isn't it?

Wh-What did you say...?

Oh here we go. For real this time. Watch out for those crazy eyes!

And that's why you...

Did you forget that you and I are the only ones in this ward?

So it's obvious the killer is...

The chainsaw starts up again.

It had to have been you, Carlos!

Swing and a miss. Get the hell out of there, Carlos!

Music: Trepidation 2nd Mix

Well that couch has seen better days.

Oh man, telling a woman to "calm down" is dangerous when she's not holding a chainsaw.

I..am calm...

Despite the sub-title, picture that line more screamed.

But I--

You say that, but maybe you're the one who really did it!

What did you say?!

Akane is about one aneurysm away from transforming into her boss fight form.

And now you're going totally nuts with that chainsaw!

No matter what, even if the world went topsy turvy this very second, I'd--!

I just want to say, Akane's voice-acting in this scene is terrific the whole way through. The animations have been the best in the game, too. It's clear these scenes got the most work. If I can arrange it I'll try and get a video of it.

It's the final showdown!

Aaannndd she ran away.

It's just like any other code three.

Not sure what a code three is in Carlos's world. Do they have a code for crazy lady with a chainsaw? Seems like it'd be further down the list than number three, though.

Edit: The thread educated me. Code three means "responding with lights and sirens". Basically, an emergency.

Flashback to Zero talking about the bracelets.

Subtitles in italics indicate internal thoughts. So the lip animation is correctly not there this time!

That's four hours of time not accounted for. What was I doing during that time...?

The screen goes black, and the camera switches to a dark filter to show us what's happening.

Music: CQD Ward BGM 2

No, Akane had run off toward Control.

And she's coming for me...

The chainsaw sound returns, as the camera pans across most of the Lounge.

Quiet footsteps are heard....

The heartbeat sound returns here. Decision time?

What the hell should I do...?

Music: Dcom (The Beginning)

So what I need to do is to remove that person.

The chainsaw sound is in the background this whole time.

There's no way it could be me!

Uh-oh, we're out of time, Carlos.

Heartbeat time for real.

Music: Moral Dilemma (Annihilation 3rd Mix)

Oh, text entry. That doesn't work well with a poll. Let's see....

Let's get some nonsense guesses out of the way.

Oh.

Here some other invalid entries, to satisfy your curiosity:

• ZERO --> DO NOT KNOW IDENTITY
  • Q --> NOT LIKELY TO BE Q-TEAM
  • ERIC --> NOT LIKELY TO BE Q-TEAM
  • MIRA --> NOT LIKELY TO BE Q-TEAM
  • DIANA --> THE DEAD CANNOT KILL ANYONE
  • SIGMA --> THE DEAD CANNOT KILL ANYONE
  • PHI --> THE DEAD CANNOT KILL ANYONE
  • JUNPEI --> THE DEAD CANNOT KILL ANYONE

Only two answers move us forward. Who killed Junpei?

Extras:

There's one new file, all text:

'Reverie Syndrome' posted:

Also known as the Daydream Syndrome. The brain cannot handle the amount of information entering the brain and, in effect, shuts down. The cause of this syndrom is currently unknown.

DKII fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 27, 2020