Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

rko posted:

Did Schrödinger ever use the term “cat box”? Before I started reading VNs, I don’t feel like I ever saw the phrase used when discussing the thought experiment. I honestly just thought it was a Ryukishi07 thing.

Schrödinger's Cat Box: When you go to check on the box, there's a 50/50 chance that there will or will not be cat poo for you to clean out. The box exists in a superposition of both states until you open it. :allears: 💩

Bonus: I read a related line in a sci-fi story once:

"The cat must know."

quote:

(If anybody here has gotten to the end of Uchikoshi’s Wild Ride and doesn’t already know about the masterpiece that is Umineko no Naku Koro ni, it’s all up on the archives and hits many of the same “murder mystery meets metafiction” notes the Zero Escape series does. It’s also maybe a secret literary masterpiece! Highly recommended.)

I have read exactly half of Umineko no Naku Koro ni. I should get back to it.

first half LP of it is here

Quackles fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
So mid thirties in 1939 in Germany with Sigma and Diana's physical features? Delta was almost definitely a Nazi, huh?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

whitehelm posted:

I'm pretty sure this is in fact, the first time Brother/Free the Soul was mentioned in this game, and possibly only because VLR said they were responsible for the Radical-6 release. None of what we learned about them in VLR is matching what's in this game (other than Brother being an old man).

There was a brief mention of Free the Soul when Junpei mentioned what happened to the other 999 characters. Apparently he and Seven blew up one of their bases.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 77: Q

Carlos is some kind of combination of dead and SHIFTed/transported off to the VLR timeline with a very unappreciative Akane and Junpei pair.

In this fragment, we're going to deal with the mess he left behind. And answer a question that's been bugging us since the beginning of the game.

Who, or what, is Q?

Music: Consternation 2nd Mix

We're back in the Transporter Room. Or maybe still there, depending on your point of view.

Smoke still coming out of the shotgun.

Looks like he figured wrong!

I can definitely say that he thought you would shoot.

For some reason the shotgun fires again here.

No.

Because one of us is the one who killed Mira.

Eric pans the shotgun around a bit before settling on the kid.

You're gonna have to prove it!

I know...

Music: Bereavement

Uhh, not exactly. Do we really have to see this shot again?

The number for this... I think it's...

We get heartbeats this time, because others are with us.

Music: Moral Dilemma (Annihilation 3rd Mix)

Not going to draw this one out. We got directly told the code a few updates ago, in the Quantum Computer Dome.

Entering the code wrong, like with the Door of Truth, just results in a buzzer and the entry clearing. Getting it wrong a few times in a row, or backing out of the screen, gets you this scene:

Music: Sacrificial Demise (Demise 2nd Mix)

Bang! Sean cries out, falls.

No blood. If we hadn't played the Quantum Computer Dome fragment yet, this shot would've been our last hint at something funny going on with this kid.

That decision was pretty obviously going to lead down the wrong path.

Let's try again.

Fortunately I wrote this thing down.

The number seems almost symmetric or something. I tried to do maths on it and looked up that its factorization is 7 x 8772013 and that's as far as I got. Any special meaning to this number?

Edit with a theory:

BlazeEmblem posted:

Reverse the number and you get 19040416. Zero said that he ended up being sent to 1904, so the code might be the date he arrived: 1904 - 04 - 16. Or April 16th, 1904.

That seems pretty plausible to me!

Anyway, the correct answer is accepted.

Music: Clarification 2nd Mix

Missing Lip Animations: 62

I'm with Sigma. Not the words, just that face.

Missing Lip Animations: 63

Yeah, I'm--

Are you talking out of the head that rolled across the floor? You know what, never mind, I don't want to know.

You're creepy is what you are.

And he lost his main alibi of not being strong enough to have strangled Mira.

Sean's body is still emoting here. Does his voice come out of his neck, or...

Oh thank God.

Looks like the alien card is about to come in handy again.

Sean slices it across his hand.

Not red.

How did you figure that out? I don't think we ever saw that before.

Remember how Mira had some skin and blood under her nails?

N-No, you're right...

I think the skin and blood is that of the killer.

I see...

But no--

I mean, come on, why is a robot here...

Well...

Sigma you don't get to act that shocked, you did the same drat thing in VLR.

Wait, Eric!

Outta my way! I'm gonna kill him!

Would he?

Music: Dcom (The Beginning)

Fade to black to start a new scene, and we come back in the same shot. Eric lets one hand off the shotgun, but don't relax just yet.

Well?

Sean nods.

Fine. If you do know, then tell me right now who the "real Zero" is...

And forced us to take part in this messed up game...

Heartbeats again!

Zero's name is...

Music: Tough Decision (Make Your Choice)

Well, here's your moment, have at it!

DKII fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 22, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Gab! Gab! Gab!

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

DKII posted:

The number seems almost symmetric or something. I tried to do maths on it and looked up that its factorization is 7 x 8772013 and that's as far as I got. Any special meaning to this number?

Reverse the number and you get 19040416. Zero said that he ended up being sent to 1904, so the code might be the date he arrived: 1904 - 04 - 16. Or April 16th, 1904.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's you, Eric

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Obviously, Zero is a Funyarinpa.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Mira just to gently caress with his head

Zero K
Feb 22, 2010
Sigma is Zero.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Actually, it was Santa.

TheSoulian
Dec 5, 2016

I'll say the obvious answer, Delta.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eric continually talking about how everyone is increasingly suspicious, even if he's right, reminds me of a quote from Seinfeld. "People with guns don't understand. That's why they get guns: too many misunderstandings."

Zero was Carlos. You did it, Eric. You stopped the Decision Game.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 22, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The obvious answer is Delta, but I know you'll post the funny ones.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Akane again, clearly :v:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Obviously Akane. Every time Junpei's been involved, it's been because she's been the one to organise the game, "participate" in it and drag him into it, whether it's to use his eyes to literally see the future or to use his psychic ability to amplify Phi and Sigma.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Q

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

BlazeEmblem posted:

Huh. That's not bad, actually. Seems too coincidental to not be true.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The real Zero was the Friends we made along the way.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
When in doubt, place your bets on Dio.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mira holding a Funyarinpa.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

It doesn't say which Zero, so let's just assume it means the first one and answer Akane

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Way ahead of you here DKII, it’s been Gab all along.

MagusofStars posted:

Consider also:
-Gab has been confirmed to be able to travel between Wards, perfect for setting things up as necessary
-The series has studiously avoided telling us anything about whether Radical-6 affects dogs
-Gab is not wearing a bracelet and thereby does not have his memory erased
-Being a dog is the perfect cover to keep the teams from getting suspicious

Clearly, the game was throwing us off by refusing to let us name "Gab" in all those fill-in-the-blank choices. We know who the real Zero is here.

I would also like to see the response for Brother because it’s technically correct, but Eric doesn’t actually know what that means.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Obviously Zero's real name is Zero. Everyone knows that.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
It was Q the whole time!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It was Luna. :colbert:

Or Jenny of 867-5309 fame.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Also, since nobody's thrown either of these out yet, let's also try "I DUNNO" and "Me" to see if Eric flips out once we admit we were actually just screwing with him all along.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

MagusofStars posted:

Also, since nobody's thrown either of these out yet, let's also try "I DUNNO DONNO" and "Me" to see if Eric flips out once we admit we were actually just screwing with him all along.

Fixed it for you.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

It was the Snail all along!

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016
All of us.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Blick Winkel

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Maybe the real Zero is the friends we made along the way

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

maswastaken posted:

Obviously Akane. Every time Junpei's been involved, it's been because she's been the one to organise the game, "participate" in it and drag him into it, whether it's to use his eyes to literally see the future or to use his psychic ability to amplify Phi and Sigma.
This is just her idea of a date.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MiiNiPaa posted:

This is just her idea of a date.

:emptyquote:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Obviously Zero is Phi, just not the version we know. I'm talking about the one that got sent with Delta to 1904.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

We've got most of the pieces in place on this one. Delta (or should we call him Q?) is the culprit!

...unless it really is the goddamn Funyarinpa, anyway.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
It was Seven all along.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Obviously it's Sean himself.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Skylight posted:

...unless it really is the goddamn Funyarinpa, anyway.

Gab is a robot dog piloted by the Snail, who removes his shell to reveal the Funyarinpa as the main antagonist. Lotus appears from nowhere to yell at Junpei for this and the credits roll.

This is the True Ending of the game in a perfect world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Voting for give us all the funny answers, and then Delta