Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

Well! We sure picked the right node to jump to! Seems like one of these answers leads to a suicide and the other leads to something amazing so there's clearly only one right answer- Akane

(edit)

gently caress. Update on the previous page, and it's GOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Someone had to emptyquote this, might as well be me

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm tempted to say that MILK would be the X-Pass for Sigma Klim, RED for Diana and BLUE for Phi to match their hair colors because that's all that makes sense at that point.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:stare:
:stonk:
:stonklol:

I should simply go here and play this myself, shouldn't I? This is going to be torture at LP speed.

(DKII you're doing Good Work here this is absolutely not a criticism of your Let's Play)

Bifauxnen posted:

Someone had to emptyquote this, might as well be me

What's this a reference to? Beyond Akane almost dying in an incinerator?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Quoth Wikipedia:

quote:

A Code 3 Response in the United States is used to describe a mode of response for an emergency vehicle responding to a call. It is commonly used to mean "use lights and siren".

I'd also like to point out that, despite Akane's attitude here, she personally got Junpei killed several times over a year ago, along with several other people. Some of those people even stayed dead. Don't buy her innocent act, she's very goal-oriented. She believes that Carlos would kill whoever he has to because she was already thinking about it.

This is all pointless though, since we all know who really killed Junpei. The real mystery is how the dog pulled it off.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nidoking posted:

I'm tempted to say that MILK would be the X-Pass for Sigma Klim, RED for Diana and BLUE for Phi to match their hair colors because that's all that makes sense at that point.

MILK is definitely Sigma, from MILKEVOLI, Luna's password in VLR.

The other two don't appear to make much sense.

Omobono posted:

What's this a reference to? Beyond Akane almost dying in an incinerator?

Yes. She did, in fact, almost bake as a child.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yes. She did, in fact, almost bake as a child.

See, for a while you wonder what happened to Akane with the 'timid' appearance, and then she drops a line like that, and it reminds you she's still the (retired) mastermind we know and love.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Coming in blind, my first guess is Gab. Unfortunately, he's not valid, but i highly doubt it's either Carlos or Akane either...

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
See, that's where you're all wrong. Sure, Gab is the mastermind behind Junpei's death, but how could he make such smooth-looking cuts with his old dog arthritis? No, he had an accomplice. There are two possible weapons the accomplice could have used: the Fire-axe or the Chainsaw. The cuts look too smooth for a chainsaw, so it's gotta be the axe. Now given that Akane can barely hold a chainsaw, while Carlos is busting out fancy axe moves with his firefighter experience, there's only one possible culprit.

TL;DR
Gab came up with the plan, but Carlos is the one who did it.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Nobody ever takes Gab seriously. And that's the fatal flaw of everyone here. Especially you Akane.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Honestly though, while I'm not a fan of the idea that "Zero" and "Junpei" are not an acceptable answer here, I understand why in the scheme of things. When I first played it did seem plausible that Junpei could have sacrificed himself/been sacrificed in a previous "round" of which they have no knowledge, and then he was "repurposed" for this game. But they're obviously not thinking straight here, so I get it, they don't want to sit down and work out plausible scenarios where they're both innocent.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I can see how Junpei could have killed himself, but two mysteries remain:

1) Once he had cut off his left arm, what would he have cut his right arm off with? (hat tip to Blackadder)
2) Having dismembered himself, how would he then gather the pieces and lock them in cupboards and boxes? Surely, some sort of elaborate Rube Goldberg device, but then, what became of the device?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Honestly though, while I'm not a fan of the idea that "Zero" and "Junpei" are not an acceptable answer here, I understand why in the scheme of things. When I first played it did seem plausible that Junpei could have sacrificed himself/been sacrificed in a previous "round" of which they have no knowledge, and then he was "repurposed" for this game. But they're obviously not thinking straight here, so I get it, they don't want to sit down and work out plausible scenarios where they're both innocent.
I think the last sentence is really it - the 'password' is more of Carlos' thoughts about what to do in this 1v1 situation. So the acceptable answers are "Akane" or "Carlos", because shouting "Wait, what if it was Zero in the four hours we've been asleep?" isn't going to stop Akane from coming at him even if that's exactly what happened.

Though it's possible that this is a soft plot-lock a'la the VLR Nineth Lion, where there's an actual answer that you can give to trigger Carlos' memory and have him convince Akane...but if so, the answer is clearly not an obvious one that you could wild-rear end guess into.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nidoking posted:

2) Having dismembered himself, how would he then gather the pieces and lock them in cupboards and boxes? Surely, some sort of elaborate Rube Goldberg device, but then, what became of the device?

I mean unless you're suggesting Carlos or Akane killed Junpei and then set up this trial for their future amnesiac selves to find, there's obviously some physically present agent setting all this stuff up while everyone's out. At the very least someone has to lug the unconscious people around and lock doors. This would be Zero who is suspected to be among us, re: the reason the messages are prerecorded.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I mean unless you're suggesting Carlos or Akane killed Junpei and then set up this trial for their future amnesiac selves to find, there's obviously some physically present agent setting all this stuff up while everyone's out. At the very least someone has to lug the unconscious people around and lock doors. This would be Zero who is suspected to be among us, re: the reason the messages are prerecorded.

All I'm saying is that any schlub can cut themself into pieces, but it takes some serious agility to lock those pieces in separate cabinets afterward.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nidoking posted:

All I'm saying is that any schlub can cut themself into pieces, but it takes some serious agility to lock those pieces in separate cabinets afterward.

I bet one of our previous Zeros could do it. Somehow.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Nidoking posted:

Simple, you make the Rube Goldberg device such that it can dismantle itself!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Trying Zero gives an error message of "DO NOT KNOW IDENTITY". Once we find out who is Zero II I think it'd be worth a try to come back here and try it out.
I don't think it'll work, but who knows.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I bet one of our previous Zeros could do it. Somehow.

Dr. Klim could give Luna a direct order.
No clue on how Akane would go at it.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Omobono posted:

Trying Zero gives an error message of "DO NOT KNOW IDENTITY". Once we find out who is Zero II I think it'd be worth a try to come back here and try it out.
I don't think it'll work, but who knows.

Yeah, it probably won't work. Remember the flow chart map that we saw earlier? There were only two paths available for this fragment and I'm pretty sure those match up with choosing either Akane or Carlos. Otherwise, there would be another path to pick.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

No, clearly the real killer is the US health insurance system. If it didn’t exist or Maria was otherwise able to get treatment Carlos wouldn’t be here and Junpei would be fine.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

AweStriker posted:

No, clearly the real killer is the US health insurance system. If it didn’t exist or Maria was otherwise able to get treatment Carlos wouldn’t be here and Junpei would be fine.

:capitalism:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Yeah, it probably won't work. Remember the flow chart map that we saw earlier? There were only two paths available for this fragment and I'm pretty sure those match up with choosing either Akane or Carlos. Otherwise, there would be another path to pick.

Does that really matter though? Both 999 and VLR had secret parts of the flowchart you couldn't see until you reached them, it's possible for this game to do the same with these Zero questions.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

I am really not buying this, this game is capable of making a third branch appear from nowhere. But at the moment, probably only two names.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I mean the answer is obviously the Funyarinpa did it.

I have no idea whether inputting that gives a joke response or not, I never really tried joke answers when I played.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"Capitalism"

...I don't know, I'm very tired

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

I have no idea whether inputting that gives a joke response or not, I never really tried joke answers when I played.
I'm wondering what the game does if you put in a total joke answer. Does it dump a "Not likely" as it did with Q-team or just refuse to accept the answer at all?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh man this update delivered and then some. Every time they talked about the "fake" body appendages I was just :allears: the whole way through cause Uchikoshi truly is a dick.

So on one hand, Carlos seems like a cool dude and I like him already. On the other hand, Akane is a literal crazy person and unfortunately that makes me feel like it's even less likely for her to have done something like kill the only person she cares about in this whole place. So sorry Carlos, it's time to do the honorable thing and take one for the team. :colbert:

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

I'm wondering what the game does if you put in a total joke answer. Does it dump a "Not likely" as it did with Q-team or just refuse to accept the answer at all?

Anything I tried other than those listed and some spoiler options just results in "Error". But I'll try out other suggestions and post them if they result in anything.

There are cases where I'll hide alternatives until we discover the right information. But as you've guessed, the question here is really about "what action should Carlos take", anyway. The poll was still close but I had to close it to start recording. Here are your results:

Glad you all enjoyed the update, it was getting very heavy on animated GIFs but I felt they were necessary. I actually have a full, continuous video recorded for that whole scene after the puzzle room, but it's 10 minutes of lossless encoding so came out at 22.6 GB. I'll try and look into compressing/uploading it later today.

DKII fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 26, 2020

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
For a game that clearly had to be elaborately planned ages in advance, the real mystery is how after someone killed Junpei, they were able to properly construct and strategically place his limbs and torso everywhere formatted to be part of this escape room puzzle. They had to have planned that in advance, right? How did they decide "right, well, the circumstances are like this, time to kill one of the participants and carve them up into part of the puzzle"?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Jadecore posted:

For a game that clearly had to be elaborately planned ages in advance, the real mystery is how after someone killed Junpei, they were able to properly construct and strategically place his limbs and torso everywhere formatted to be part of this escape room puzzle. They had to have planned that in advance, right? How did they decide "right, well, the circumstances are like this, time to kill one of the participants and carve them up into part of the puzzle"?

This series is pretty cavalier with the idea of cause-and-effect as it is, it's entirely possibly whoever setup the puzzle already knew that Junpei would be dead by this point and arranged the puzzle pieces accordingly.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 10: Carlos's Decision

Close race this time. Remember we can always replay this fragment to go down the other path next!

Obviously it must be Carlos himself.

I was joking around last time but the game really earns its M/17+-rating here.

Music: Glacial Solitude

Akane... She'd never do something like that to Junpei!

Flashback to earlier in the Pantry.

Yes. He's very important to me.

If that's the case, then I'm... I'm the only one who could've killed him...

Or maybe it was some kind of parasite... Or I'm under hypnosis...

All classic science fiction tropes.

Regardless of the reason, I was the...

Quiet footsteps, then the chainsaw revs again.

My body moves against my will! I might kill you next!

Carlos's words shock the crazy eyes out of Akane.

If that's how it is, then--!

And now Carlos has the crazy eyes.

Ah, Carlos, no!

A shout from Carlos, and the music goes silent.

There's the sound of a body dropping here.

Akane's protests seem a little odd given what she was about to do to him herself. I guess she really has snapped out of it.

Music: Confession 2nd Mix

There are some choking noises out of Carlos here.

Carlos struggling to breathe. Flashback time!

Mom... Dad...

You couldn't have...killed Junpei... And I... I...

Did that go how everyone thought it would?

We have the same 16 options we didn't take last time. Plus the option to replay the Pantry decision, with a different result. So another 17-option poll here. Select the story fragment.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Carlos. :smith:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That's a looooooot of blood. :gonk:

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Carlos is a good lad.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Super Jay Mann posted:

That's a looooooot of blood. :gonk:

Nah, that couldn't have been more than 5.5 liters, tops. :munch:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ZTD.jpeg

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

DKII posted:

Right, so the poster itself. Ingredients are power, water, and a mold - we've got one of those already. Pour the water into the mold, add the powder, and throw it in the strange machine, and voila! Instant gelatin.

Typo.

DKII posted:

I know JUMP is for Junpei. RED is probably Diana for her hair/outfit. Don't remember if BLUE is Sigma and MILK is Phi or the other way around.

Edit: The thread pointed out that MILK is KLIM backwards, which is Sigma's last name. And BLUE could be for Phi's hair?

They're always in the same order as the names were announced right beforehand, so BLUE is Diana and RED is Phi. You can also tell from the X-Pass list to the right of the X-Door in the Lounge (seen during the following cutscenes but you didn't get a clear screenshot). The reasons why could be considered mild spoilers so I'll point them out when we get to those D-team fragments.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

whitehelm posted:

Typo.

They're always in the same order as the names were announced right beforehand, so BLUE is Diana and RED is Phi. You can also tell from the X-Pass list to the right of the X-Door in the Lounge (seen during the following cutscenes but you didn't get a clear screenshot). The reasons why could be considered mild spoilers so I'll point them out when we get to those D-team fragments.

Typo fixed, thanks!

I looked and the scoreboard only shows the corner listing Junpei's name as among the dead - we don't get to see the whole thing in that scene. But it also matches the order on the Status screen so I updated the note to reference that instead.

I uploaded the video for Part 9, including me messing around in the Status screen - the encoding quality probably isn't great but you get full audio and video. Here is the link.

Let me know if you want more videos like that - it wasn't too hard to make once I figured out how.

DKII fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 26, 2020

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

haha holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

DKII posted:

Right, so the poster itself. Ingredients are power, water, and a mold - we've got one of those already. Pour the water into the mold, add the powder, and throw it in the strange machine, and voila! Instant gelatin.

Doth thou desire the gelatin?

EDIT: drat me and my time-consuming need to get the quote exactly right, the post is already edited :(

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 26, 2020