Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm just glad this got made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I absolutely howled the first time I picked my colour and I, too, got to the sun ending.

My boyfriend looked over at me giggling at the credits and said "wait, didn't you literally just buy that?"

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Q-Team is so dysfunctional. :allears:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MagusofStars posted:

Right, but that's the radical-escaped/world-screwed timeline that everybody is trying to change. All because 4 (or more?) people survived in the VLR timeline doesn't mean that's what's going to happen now.

Doesn't it? The recording clearly exists in the VLR timeline. Diana cannot be telling the truth, or that timeline doesn't have two of the four who appear in VLR in it alive... and so VLR can't happen and the cast of VLR can't hear that recording.

Unless VLR timeline is one in which the characters never joined this operation?

I don't know, I worked all this out at the time I played it, but it's been so long it's all faded now.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 23, 2020

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I guess if VLR is the "first loop" and they were never there, then it sort of makes sense if you squint, and ZTD is in a Brave New Timeline where the heroes presumably replaced some nobodies who died in VLR timeline. But thinking about Time poo poo makes my brain go sideways anyway.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

sirtommygunn posted:

If you aren't voting for either chainsaw Akane or child with crossbow I don't know why you're reading this lp.

Akane with bloody chainsaw. Or rusty, it's hard to tell. Given this game, though...

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nidoking posted:

I'm tempted to say that MILK would be the X-Pass for Sigma Klim, RED for Diana and BLUE for Phi to match their hair colors because that's all that makes sense at that point.

MILK is definitely Sigma, from MILKEVOLI, Luna's password in VLR.

The other two don't appear to make much sense.

Omobono posted:

What's this a reference to? Beyond Akane almost dying in an incinerator?

Yes. She did, in fact, almost bake as a child.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Honestly though, while I'm not a fan of the idea that "Zero" and "Junpei" are not an acceptable answer here, I understand why in the scheme of things. When I first played it did seem plausible that Junpei could have sacrificed himself/been sacrificed in a previous "round" of which they have no knowledge, and then he was "repurposed" for this game. But they're obviously not thinking straight here, so I get it, they don't want to sit down and work out plausible scenarios where they're both innocent.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nidoking posted:

2) Having dismembered himself, how would he then gather the pieces and lock them in cupboards and boxes? Surely, some sort of elaborate Rube Goldberg device, but then, what became of the device?

I mean unless you're suggesting Carlos or Akane killed Junpei and then set up this trial for their future amnesiac selves to find, there's obviously some physically present agent setting all this stuff up while everyone's out. At the very least someone has to lug the unconscious people around and lock doors. This would be Zero who is suspected to be among us, re: the reason the messages are prerecorded.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nidoking posted:

All I'm saying is that any schlub can cut themself into pieces, but it takes some serious agility to lock those pieces in separate cabinets afterward.

I bet one of our previous Zeros could do it. Somehow.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ahhh, I'm so glad we took the proper path and did that one first, as I'm sure almost everyone did :allears:

daermon posted:

For the next fragment I'm going with kid with crossbow. Surely that one goes better than this?

"To escape this room, you must... complete Link's Crossbow Training for the Nintendo Wii!"

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

wologar posted:

Zero's psychic powers strike again. How would he know that they'd only need one more x-pass?

Obviously it's psychic paper.

Or a happy coincidence.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

wologar posted:

Mira is gross.

This pretty much confirms there was no psychological screening for DCOM, unless they went "let's include a psychopath to see what happens".

Either that or they were actively looking for fuckups. To test a worst case scenario, maybe?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

NeverHelm posted:

Well that's interesting. Q was announced dead, but it seems our resident ball-head was still up for a moment after that.

Well, people have an entire conversation before the X-Passes are given out in the other endings to that fragment (Mira digging around in Eric's chest and all), so I'm guessing there's some abstraction going on.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think we're all sick of Q Team for the moment.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ah, my favourite Game Over. :allears:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, I get the feeling this isn't supposed to be a mystery at all. Oh no, the serial killer is the killer. Shock.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, I think it's nice that you can tell that about Junpei from the writing. Sometimes he's really chummy with her, making jokes and even flirting a bit, making it clear he still wants to like her. But sometimes his anger and bitterness spills over and he snaps at her or says something dark. It's pretty clear he's intensely conflicted and resolving it is one of the reasons he's here.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Super Jay Mann posted:

Eric is just a dumb cowardly loser who thinks highly of himself and condescends to others without an ounce of self-awareness which means he immediately retreats into "selfish prick" mode under this game's level of duress (make no mistake, him taking the bulletbolt for Mira was definitely not for her sake, but for his. Though that's just my reading of the situation I'll concede). All of these are deeply undesirable and offputting qualities. And yes, Eric himself also isn't real, but what he is is most definitely too real. :gonk:

Mira, when touching his heart, certainly seemed convinced that he truly loved her, at any rate.

Though the testimony of a serial killer might not be the silver bullet exoneration he needs.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Voting Trash Disposal because I think we're well overdue some D-Team.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Super Jay Mann posted:

Would hair dye survive 45 years of being cryogenic freezing followed by the thawing process? :thunk:

By the time she gets to the future it's naturally white, as are her eyebrows.

(yes I know that's not how it works)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Pods pods pods! Time to see where the pod people are made!

Or an assload of peas!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Whew, that was heavy. Time to tag back to C-team in the Rec Room for something more light hearted and fun. Perhaps a relaxing game of snakes and ladders.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Eric continues to be extremely hosed up.

In both ways, honestly.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think it's nice that we can see that Akane really does care for Junpei underneath it all. Even if she expresses it murderously.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The transporter seems really overpowered for SHIFTers. You could clone yourself anywhere into spacetime, set the thing to self destruct or something, and then SHIFT into your newly cloned body.

I almost think I would've liked it better if the Transporter got SHIFTed into existence that way. Cryo freeze self, wake up in crazy techno future, learn how to build crazy techno future stuff, SHIFT back in time, have crazy future tech thousands of years early.

But honestly, aliens are fine in a series that talked about an Ice-9 mummy with all seriousness for a while.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Polderjoch posted:

So here's something a little meta about the Quantum Computer Dome; it was probably meant to be an Escape Room at some point in development before that got scrapped for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNL4MWgqJF4

There's an unused track which is probably meant for it, QCD is the only ward-specific room which isn't an escape room, and Q Team even has 2 less escape rooms to clear than the other two teams.

Kind of agree, yeah. Sounds like it would fit well with VLR's Room Q, which was also a weird white featureless room with wall panels, so it would do well in the QCD.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ApplesandOranges posted:

During the Transporter scene when Phi and Delta are being born, you can check the Status screen like always. After the babies are born, two people that were previously dead will show up as alive: Phi and Q.

This is absolutely my favourite detail in the entire game. And it's so easy to miss!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm just going to assume that "ridiculous longevity" is baked into the SHIFTer/psyker power set. That or Diana/Sigma has EXTREMELY good genes.

Or cryogenic shenanigans, since Phi gets put to sleep for 45 years about a week from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Blasmeister posted:

Q Team blasting off on idiot adventures again is about perfect for how this game should end. I have a lot of love for this game as creaky around the edges and straight up silly it might be

Q-Team's ending is sort of like this, only in reverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-tVTsSKpw