Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

Facebook Aunt posted:

Same energy, but I think it's aged out in the last 40 years? It stands for White Anglo Saxon Protestant, right? While all the Karen examples I've seen have been white, I don't think that's absolutely essential, especially not Anglo White. Like a person of mediterranean, middle eastern, eastern european descent or other "off-white" sort of person could easily be a Karen but wouldn't be a WASP. I also wouldn't assume Karen's are universally religious people who identify as Protestant, catholic Karens and non-religious Karens seem totally plausible.

I've seen plenty of non-white Karen examples as well, usually under the guise that the service worker they're haranguing is racist in some fashion. I'd probably argue more Karen's these days claim they're Evangical as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Your Shoes posted:

I've seen plenty of non-white Karen examples as well, usually under the guise that the service worker they're haranguing is racist in some fashion. I'd probably argue more Karen's these days claim they're Evangical as well.

My Shoes and Your Shoes are now molded into one poster: OUR SHOES

More Shoes, More Power

*flex*

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene
Double the Karen stopping energy, forever protecting retail and service workers from the wrath of the KAREN.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Your Shoes posted:

Double the Karen stopping energy, forever protecting retail and service workers from the wrath of the KAREN.

:goku:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Seriously, it just means "bitch" and that's no one's real name. Just admit you miss it and use it again if you liked it that much.

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

Pick posted:

Seriously, it just means "bitch" and that's no one's real name. Just admit you miss it and use it again if you liked it that much.

I think you might be projecting a bit. A Karen is much more than simply that out dated term.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pick posted:

Nah. Karen is a particular subset of bitch. Every Karen is a bitch, but not every bitch is a Karen.

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nah. Karen is a particular subset of bitch. Every Karen is a bitch, but not every bitch is a Karen.

Exactly, its like dolphins and whales or whatever and however that works.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Pick posted:

ok karen hahaha lol

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
sorry pick i dont think ure a bitch!! i just think youre a karen :D

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Gallow posted:

I'm starting to see that pronoun thing in email signatures frequently (i.e. He/His) and if I didn't value having a roof over my head I'd add one to my work email that said Eat/My/rear end.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
I really can't get over how insecure you have to be to even think this. I've had really to stop & awe at this level of :qq:

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

LethalGeek posted:

I really can't get over how insecure you have to be to even think this. I've had really to stop & awe at this level of :qq:

I'm still pretty sad I missed the douchery of it initially. At least this thread has been a honey pot for poo poo posters.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
lol thanks for the av, i guess that answers my question op

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

Ad by Khad posted:

lol thanks for the av, i guess that answers my question op

Welcome back Karen, do you need to speak to the manager again?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
nah one was already called and scolded me enough

truly I have been karened

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

Ad by Khad posted:

nah one was already called and scolded me enough

truly I have been karened

I think you Karened yourself.

I did not Karen you by the way, your strong Karen-Incel fusion energy brought this down on you from some other source lmao.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
internet people 'discovered' derrogatory comments for assertive middle aged women

see its a new different thing its 'karen!' its something new!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I feel like Kyle is the perfect Karen for dudes.

My shop's support calls have begin referring to male Karrens as Terrances. Seems to have stuck.

drunkenmonkeystyle
Jan 16, 2020

Gonk!!

hakimashou posted:

internet people 'discovered' derrogatory comments for assertive middle aged women

Assertive is putting it lightly, unless you consider belittling/abusing the service workers or people that are in a shop who they decide work there without any evidence to work there, assertive.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

drunkenmonkeystyle posted:

Assertive is putting it lightly, unless you consider belittling/abusing the service workers or people that are in a shop who they decide work there without any evidence to work there, assertive.

:females: AMIRITE?

drunkenmonkeystyle
Jan 16, 2020

Gonk!!

Lol, Karen can be applied to both male and female, irregardless of gender if you act like you are above a service worker you are a Karen.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This thread just keeps on goin'!

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

The whole point of this thread is that it isn't just females that do that, plenty of dumb dick havers doing the same thing, and thus gender doesn't matter for the term. If you are acting like a Karen in costco it doesn't matter what reproductive organs you have, it means you're being needlessly aggressive to a service worker and trying to use what privilege or power you have over that person in a demeaning fashion.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Lol, Karen can be applied to both male and female, irregardless of gender if you act like you are above a service worker you are a Karen.

dang you invented calling men women's names to insult them!

drunkenmonkeystyle
Jan 16, 2020

Gonk!!

hakimashou posted:

Dang you really got insulted by making fun of entitled people, are you okay, is your entitlement okay? Are you gonna scream for a manager while throwing boiling coffee on me?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

hakimashou posted:

Did you even read the op before hyper posting?

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

hakimashou posted:

You are the one that keeps bringing gender into this. I am trying to bring it out of this!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

hakimashou posted:

defining the behavior as 'assertive' is extremely telling, that is it's telling everyone you don't have the self-awareness to know where the line between 'assertiveness' and 'assholishness' lies, and that's not a problem with the internet people

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Your Shoes posted:

The whole point of this thread is that it isn't just females that do that, plenty of dumb dick havers doing the same thing, and thus gender doesn't matter for the term. If you are acting like a Karen in costco it doesn't matter what reproductive organs you have, it means you're being needlessly aggressive to a service worker and trying to use what privilege or power you have over that person in a demeaning fashion.

this is the same argument people use to defend saying "human being". "It's not about being gay, it can be anyone!" Except it was clearly a word meaning "gay person" and using someone's sexuality as an insult word is an attack on that group, no matter who it's used against. The same way Karen is clearly based on a stereotype of a woman and so it's an attack on women even if you use it against a guy. And people in this thread have said it's hurtful to them but people keep treating it like it's a big joke.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Muscle Wizard posted:

sorry pick i dont think ure a bitch!! i just think youre a karen :D

To be honest I'm really more of a loving bastard

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

Schweinhund posted:

this is the same argument people use to defend saying "human being". "It's not about being gay, it can be anyone!" Except it was clearly a word meaning "gay person" and using someone's sexuality as an insult word is an attack on that group, no matter who it's used against. The same way Karen is clearly based on a stereotype of a woman and so it's an attack on women even if you use it against a guy. And people in this thread have said it's hurtful to them but people keep treating it like it's a big joke.

yeah Karen truly is the N word of our generation.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Pick posted:

To be honest I'm really more of a loving bastard

no youre a nerd

drunkenmonkeystyle
Jan 16, 2020

Gonk!!

Schweinhund posted:

Nice
On one hand we have a marginalized group who is constantly attacked and killed for their identity.
On the other we have middle aged entitled white people who scream at Service people for not letting the person walk all over them/throw food on them/throw stuff at them/magically produce items.

EDIT: After careful consideration 100%, Entitled white people are directly equal to all marginalized groups.

drunkenmonkeystyle fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 22, 2020

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene
I do unironically believe at the rate America is going being called a "Karen" will be labelled hate speech before we have a living wage.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Most people are so whipped and dull, Most of the behavior I see described as happening in real life, like, all the time, totally, I've never observed and I'm not convinced happens with any regularity. I've never witnessed somebody ask to talk to the manager, if anything the average customer seems scared and ashamed to be in a store.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like I think most people live their lives in a series of mostly daydreamed events about things that might've happened, to help distract themselves from the fact that on a day-to-day basis very little occurs

Like you think back to all these big fight you had with your mom or something and then you realize that most of them didn't really happen

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

Pick posted:

Most people are so whipped and dull, Most of the behavior I see described as happening in real life, like, all the time, totally, I've never observed and I'm not convinced happens with any regularity. I've never witnessed somebody ask to talk to the manager, if anything the average customer seems scared and ashamed to be in a store.

No offense meant here, but have you worked in a menial service job ever? When I did delivery, was a ski instructor, a table busser, event server, etc., I probably ran into a Karen a week on average.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

hakimashou posted:

The fact that you think Karen is an explicitly gendered insult says so much about how poorly you view the role of women in society as meek, demure caretakers who couldn't possibly speak up for themselves, unlike big powerful, strong men who always push people around. It's kind of sad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The fact that you think Karen is an explicitly gendered insult says so much about how poorly you view the role of women in society as meek, demure caretakers who couldn't possibly speak up for themselves, unlike big powerful, strong men who always push people around. It's kind of sad.

This is such stupid silly gotchaism, Like literally this is something that a 12-year-old says when they find out about time zones and says they shouldn't have to go to bed because it's 11 o'clock somewhere. It's the kind of trick the teenager discovers and then thinks that they outsmarted everyone, when really everybody else just grew past it several years prior

It's like the people who saw the racist characters in Star Wars and argued that they weren't racist because you were actually the racist person who noticed that they were racist. If you weren't racist, you never would've picked up on all this racist messaging!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

I worked as a retail cashier for several years and I had middle-aged white people ask to speak to a manager at least twice a week over the most petty bullshit, so not really.