Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:toxx:

I'm adding another late toxx because gently caress it. $1 for every normal kill of the Tyrannosaur in the Moogle Cave, without exploiting its Undead status. That means no Phoenix Downs, no Healing Items, just a regular fight. The limit will be $25. Quote this or something of mine so it's easier to see, if you please.

Edit: It'll have to be the honor system unless you feel like recording the entire fight I guess.

Did it a second time with a slightly different method. Fire swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

zharmad posted:

I will finish a run for the first time ever (Neo Exdeath.) I've competed in 7 years of this but never finished a run. This is year 8. If I don't complete a run this time, I will donate $500 to the charity this year.

Let's see if I can manage with Monk, Red Mage, Bard, and Dancer.

God have mercy on my soul.

Hell yeah you got a bard with a fancy hat. Now sing the song of your people. Sing until monk becomes Goku.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

ultrafilter posted:

Same :toxx: as last year. Use all twenty regular jobs and I'll donate $20 plus your job fair expenses (up to the total price of one of each regular job). Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon. There is no requirement to do this in exactly five runs, but more than that is a lot of FFV.

WHM/MYS/CHM/GLD

THF/RDM/RNG/SAM

KNT/SMN/GEO/ORC

BLU/NIN/DRG/CAN

MNK/TIM/BST/DNC

BLM/BER/BRD/MIM

All 20 regular jobs plus the GBA jobs and Mime. Job fair total (not including GBA/Mime) was $27 cause Gilgabot hates me apparently.

Aerdan posted:

5 of 20 The Skald runs have been made, might as well do the first installment now. Reminder: $1 per run up to $20 where a Bard hits someone with an Axe.

:black101:

:black101:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ZypherIM posted:

RDM lets him snap rods to power through a ton of stuff, and later on you need more bodies to sing anyways. Not as good as other mages for sure, but if its the only one you have it does enable a lot of stuff.

Yeah, and bard helps a ton with keeping the monk relevant in the endgame since unarmed damage is keyed to level.

Give Dancer Barehanded, give Redmage sing/harps, give the bard Equip Ribbon, Give the Monk either Ribbon or focus as the situation demands. Your damage will be pretty alright (barefist blade dance can do work). You have a gameplan for omega (spam romeo's, fish for monk/dancer barehanded crits). Shinryu will be kind of nasty, but you have workable berserk for him, you just need to work out the 'not getting greased by him' part after that without a consistent blind or damage avoid. If you can set it up right you can do the reflect + Zombie + hide thing. Maybe Mini the Redmage with a Main Gauche and pelt him to death with lovely rdm spells? Maybe mirage vest exploiting? Either way it's going to be Not Fun.

I'm winding down on my current Nin/Geo/Dancer/sam run and thinking about what I want to do next. Thinking about straight up job fairing the next run and doing something kind of Cozy but also kind of Berserkery. Right now leaning towards WHM/BER/RAN/THF, giving BER !white and everyone else Equip Axes and just have them be a rowdy lot. I GUESS Ranger/Thief can take Rapidfire when they get it, but I just like the thought of even the squishy types being absurdly tough and fighty.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Hempuli posted:

I'll donate $10, up to a maximum of $300 to Against Malaria Foundation for every pic of a geomancer attacking Neo-Exdeath with Gaia's Bell. Just post a pic of the attack and a pic of the bell being equipped on the geomancer and we're good.

Took some extra time getting around to actually finishing this run. First time I've finished 2 runs in a single fiesta!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Run 4 - Random - KNT/WHM/RED/SAM - Complete!

Hella easy. Omega isn't really doable with this team without some nonsense, so I'm just not gonna bother! By the end of this I was just berserking the Samurai, Knight, and Red Mage (all double-fisting their weapons) and they were doing just obscene amounts of damage.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Progress update: Got my Dragon Lance, and a party in the mid 50, level-wise. This is still gonna be a loving mess, and it’d be trouble even at a lower speed, but gently caress it! I made a promise to do this legit! :black101: Shinryu and Omega are gonna eat poo poo if it’s the last thing I do!

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Run #3, Beastmaster/Ranger/Blue Mage/Mystic Knight. Triple crown this time! Omega and Shinryu were done without any tricks but looks like that toxx is already full :v:

apophenium posted:

I'm excited about this Fiesta!!! I registered for a Pure Chaos Risk run. My first risk!

I also want to do a :toxx: challenge:

I'll donate $2 for every victory with Bartz named ACAB, BLM, George, or any related name, up to $100. Let's have fun and help people!

Bufuman posted:

Oh, that reminds me that I had an idea for a toxx myself.

It's time for :smugwizard: Magical Bufu's Magical :toxx:

* The condition for this one is simple: Obtain every magic spell in one run. White, Black, Time, Blue, Summons, and Songs. Dark Arts are exempt, but if you're a masochist you're welcome to go for it.
* The classes required to actually USE the spells are not mandatory, but obviously Blue Magic will require a Blue Mage or a randomizer run with Learning.
* Donation amount is $5 for every run with all spells, up to a limit of $100. (I wanted it to be more, but I have more bills to pay than I did in previous years thanks to Real Life Bullshit)
* Proof requested: Ideally shots of your magic screens, but for simplicity's sake I'll accept a shot of just the Time magic list to cover White and Black too (since you need to get their final spells to get access to Meteor). For most lists with multiple pages (White/Black/Time just barely require two pages in certain versions IIRC), I'll go by the honor system and accept single shots at the bottom of the list. Blue Magic will require shots of all pages though.

Mustached Demon posted:

Thought about it and I think the Great Sea Trench would be better. Seems more useless if you don't have a time mage or geomancer to make it less annoying. Monk is ok because they need help.

So! Post a pic of you beating the triple goblin jerks to get credit.

Hopefully a picture of knowing Meteor counts! Float from Mighty Guard might be cheating though :v:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Wow greg, rude.

Edit: Run 3 down - Dual Wield Dancer is shockingly potent when you can get them to stop hip thrusting suggestively and :killing: Getting him in a rainbow robe helped, but man that mana dance just ruins me every time, especially when it happens like 4-5 times in a row. SAM did the sock full of quarters thing, geo threw anime. Ninja was kind of the dead weight by the end, strangely enough. I didn't have a +magic kicker skill to boost throwing and melee was doing like 1k a pop so he became the dedicated healer. Samurai and Ninja both had Equip Ribbon which pretty much trivialized grand cross.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 6, 2020

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Man with Hat posted:

I don't get what the deal is, that bell is good!

Princey posted:

Took some extra time getting around to actually finishing this run. First time I've finished 2 runs in a single fiesta!

Thank you for your service! Excellent work! :tipshat:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit: Run 3 down - Dual Wield Dancer is shockingly potent when you can get them to stop hip thrusting suggestively and :killing: Getting him in a rainbow robe helped, but man that mana dance just ruins me every time, especially when it happens like 4-5 times in a row. SAM did the sock full of quarters thing, geo threw anime. Ninja was kind of the dead weight by the end, strangely enough. I didn't have a +magic kicker skill to boost throwing and melee was doing like 1k a pop so he became the dedicated healer. Samurai and Ninja both had Equip Ribbon which pretty much trivialized grand cross.

Yea my experience with ninja is that by the end they'll be sort of a healer or assist damage (either bonus anime scrolls or single target thrown). Early on they're pretty decent attackers, and anime is always respectable, but in general the boost they give to other classes is way bigger than what they can get in return. A strong !magic to boost throw is good, but still going to fall behind due to lack of rod boost. Still an amazing class with a lot of bonuses, and are great enablers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you can give your Ninja something to boost their strength, throwing shurikens remains a viable option all the way through. But otherwise, yeah, they're very front-loaded.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The beauty of ninja is it's impossible to have a team that doesn't benefit from either dual wield or throw, and as a bonus you get someone who can use the chicken knife.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Hackan Slash posted:

The beauty of ninja is it's impossible to have a team that doesn't benefit from either dual wield or throw, and as a bonus you get someone who can use the chicken knife.

I once had two dragoons and two ninjas, which is probably the absolute least synergy you can get out of a ninja. It still crushed everything.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ZypherIM posted:

A strong !magic to boost throw is good, but still going to fall behind due to lack of rod boost.

A boosted multi-target Firaga or Thundaga is only 138 potency compared to 120 for an unboosted Flame/Lightning Scroll. It's not very far behind at all.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Poque posted:

I once had two dragoons and two ninjas, which is probably the absolute least synergy you can get out of a ninja. It still crushed everything.

Dragoons at least can dual wield lances, monks don't care about dual wield and have the worst magic stat in the game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Unreal_One posted:

Dragoons at least can dual wield lances, monks don't care about dual wield and have the worst magic stat in the game.

Yep, that makes total sense. Ninja is crazy good.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Poque posted:

I mean, dual wield lance jump is brutal and giving Ninja equip spears gives them a strength boost for throwing shurikens/weapons. I feel bad for the poor fucker who tries to kit them out in 8 dragon lances or something though.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Maybe something like Monk/Thief/Ninja/Red Mage?

No strong magic characters, and the only characters that can use Dual Wield have not great stats/equip options.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arzaac posted:

Maybe something like Monk/Thief/Ninja/Red Mage?

No strong magic characters, and the only characters that can use Dual Wield have not great stats/equip options.

14->32 is still a huge magic jump (it increases your magical M from 5 to 7 at level 30), and rod boosted scrolls even backed by sad-rear end RDM magic gently caress poo poo up (180 * 7 = 1260). Thief loves getting to dual-wield Twin Lances, and the Ninja can go either way of chucking unboosted scrolls (120 * 7 = 840) or taking Barehanded and ripping huge Twin Lance/CK hits (61 * 13 = 793 * 2 = 1586; 127 * 21 = 2667; combined damage per !Attack of 4283 before defense).

Monk just exists to suck and throw Elixirs. :v:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Getting ready to spin up my fourth run, I'm probably going to straight up job fair this one rather than putting my fate in the hands of Gilgamesh. My motto on the outset of this one is "Something cozy, yet also berserker-y". Didn't want to go through a bunch of hassle grinding money/exp/items and I want my primary form of offense to be a series of axes/hammers to the face.

Right now I'm thinking White / Zerk / Ranger or Bard / Thief, and the more I think about it the more I'm hyping myself up for bard over ranger (once rapidfire becomes a thing he's no longer axing people in the face). Everyone gets equip Axes and I'm fully planning on stealing the gaia hammer and giving it to the white mage as a laugh.

Edit: Also, berserker harping the gently caress out of Shinryu.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 6, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Almost all of my late game offense in my last no750 run with a ninja was throwing Fuma Shurikans and legendary weapons.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Procrastine posted:

Hopefully a picture of knowing Meteor counts! Float from Mighty Guard might be cheating though :v:

Works for me!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Serene Dragon posted:

I did it, I killed NED with a fat chocobo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrUkT2cddbU

The fat chocobo kill happens at 8:20

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
We rolled Red Mage and Monk and were getting really bored until we got bard. Then I paid to roll summoner because my kids really wanted it. So the ship seems to have righted itself, still wish I could cast some real magic, though.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

A boosted multi-target Firaga or Thundaga is only 138 potency compared to 120 for an unboosted Flame/Lightning Scroll. It's not very far behind at all.

Yea but a boosted scroll is 180? Like that is the comparison to make here.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

Yea but a boosted scroll is 180? Like that is the comparison to make here.

More what I was saying is you stated scrolls would lag behind due to lack of rod boost, and I disagree because 120 potency is still really freaking good.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Ah I wasn't clear then. I meant that a *ninja* throwing scrolls lags behind other classes, because of rod boost (or inherent magic ability/equips often times). Like if you need someone to take a turn using healing items, near the end its often the smallest loss to have your NIN do it (unless you got like a drg or something).

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Run three complete! Chaos No 750 this time. Initially rolled Monk for my earth job, and I was not dealing with that, so it was also my first time of using the job fair.
Wondering if I'm doing a fourth run this year or not, and if so, what to actually play?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Run number 4 is currently in full swing, WHM/BER/BARD/THIEF. All Axes all the time. 4 WHM to the Water Tower was boring but now I've got berserker so it's effectively whm with a heal staff babysitting the MACHO MADNESS going on around him.

I had a thought about my past runs and what it would take to hit every job this fiesta. What I've done so far is Blu/red/bst/drg for run 1, Kni/mim/brd/black for run 2, Nin/geo/dan/sam for run 3 and whi/zerk/brd/thief for run 4. To hit everything and have workable teams I'm probably looking at Monk/Time/Free/Chem for five, and Mystic/Summoner/Ranger/whatever for six.

I kind of figure monk gels better with time and chemist, he'll be !focusing through world 1 and can !drink through world 2 and 3. Mostly I'm just all about the Freelancer with Monk Strength/stamina, time's inherited magic, showing up with a rune axe, !drink and !mix

Run 6 is basically free, Mystic Knight + Ranger = grats on the triple crown, basically.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 7, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Got here through your banner ad, as I've only played the first couple hours of FF5 but always wanted to finish it. I don't think I'll have the time to do it for the event, but I may find some free time before the end of the year to finally beat this game.

I grew up playing FF2/FF3 US and they hold a very dear place in my heart, but for some reason I just never played this one even though I did finish FF2/3 on the GBA re-releases as well.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Haha, guess who forgot that berserk defaults to targeting allies and didn't bother to grind for reflect rings? Time to go thief knife Phoenix Tower enemies! Tbh it's probably still faster than waiting for rare drops would have been.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

I have a thing! I got money, so let's use some of it for something good.

Over the next... let's say couple weeks, it'll be a bit before I can get my check in, I'm going to give $0.10 for every Fat Chocobo summoned. The command .chonk will now count on Carbybot, using the same syntax as the existing rod counter, so use that. I will do this up to, let's say, $30. I will also add $1 for every picture posted of a player hitting NED with a Fat Chocobo. (Only one per run, obviously.) That max will be $20.
This part of my toxx is still going! Right now it's only up to $4 of a potential $50, so get those beautiful fat boys bouncing!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Aw man, I lost my Black Mage to the void. I guess I'll just have to rely on Meteor like it's going out of style...

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Alxprit posted:

Aw man, I lost my Black Mage to the void. I guess I'll just have to rely on Meteor like it's going out of style...

If you have Meteor, you have Quick, and that means you can just Quickleak the hell out of things.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This took forever but I feel it was worth it.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Mega64 posted:

This took forever but I feel it was worth it.

:vince: worth it

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

apophenium posted:

I'll donate $2 for every victory with Bartz named ACAB, BLM, George, or any related name, up to $100. Let's have fun and help people!

Kyrosiris posted:

Additionally, I will also donate $1 per relevant name that completes a run, per apophenium's toxx, up to a maximum of $50.

Hempuli posted:

I'll donate $10, up to a maximum of $300 to Against Malaria Foundation for every pic of a geomancer attacking Neo-Exdeath with Gaia's Bell. Just post a pic of the attack and a pic of the bell being equipped on the geomancer and we're good.

I also did the gaia bell toxx after forgetting last time..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Final chapter in the comedy of errors that is me attempting to leverage beastmaster into a Rugwizard kill: I discovered a bug? that I don't think I've ever seen mentioned before. !Releases ignore reflect... only on the party member doing the releasing. My guess is it's an unintended consequence of how !Releases use the monster's stats in damage calcs, and that party member just... stops existing for the duration of the attack, with their slot replaced wholesale by the monster? Presumably protect and shell would also be ignored, along with status/elemental immunities and even stuff like the bone mail's undead status and dragon/heavy from a dragon's kiss. I don't know if there's any other situation where any of those would actually matter in practice though, other than the obvious of using a cure spell !Release while wearing bone mail.

Anyway, in the moment I wasn't sure what was going on, so I just assumed I was being dumb and berserk wasn't actually reflectable. Fortunately I did have mage mashers on hand, so I could still do the fight the old fashioned way. It wasn't even that bad since I have bard; after spending a while going super saiyan I only needed to land like 4 hits. So now I guess I just keep holding onto the mammon for Shinryu and my mime won't have to putz around with the wonder wand.

E: Oh, haha just kidding, mime can equip staves and apparently I picked up 3 power staves going through meatfort. Also, just as a refresher, mime inherits raw stats from mastered jobs, but not any other passives, correct?

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 9, 2020