Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

W.T. Fits posted:

There is no "Equip Bells" ability. The three skills the Geomancer teaches are !Gaia (its active command, which does not pass along any stats), Find Pits (a passive that you don't need to set to your Berserker because your Geomancer automatically has it) and Light Step (same deal as Find Pits).

... I never realized that there was no Equip Bells ability, that's so weird. Bells in general are already weird since there's only 4, of which only 2 actually use the Bell damage formula, but not even an Equip Bells ability? Yikes.

That makes Bells and Boomerangs (except Twin Lance) the only weapon types that can't be passed down through skills, right? Aside from Knives which can be equipped by every class except Monk, White Mage, and I think Oracle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I can't remember whether Equip Rods also gives the ability to use staves, but if not, that's the other category.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Pretty sure it does, but the flail and morningstar might not be part of the deal.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

ultrafilter posted:

I can't remember whether Equip Rods also gives the ability to use staves, but if not, that's the other category.

Pretty sure it does, since Equip Axes/Hammers and Equip Swords/knightswords/ninjaswords are also rolled into one.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Equip Rods is the most useless Equip skill, though; it's the only one that doesn't carry any stat bonuses with it.

Maybe if you could break Thunder Rods on Omega, but you can't sooooo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Was there a unique run type this year?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Polderjoch posted:

Pretty sure it does, since Equip Axes/Hammers and Equip Swords/knightswords/ninjaswords are also rolled into one.

Equip Swords doesn't give access to ninja-specific swords, just normal swords and knight swords.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Was there a unique run type this year?

If there is, it hasn't been announced.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

Equip Rods is the most useless Equip skill, though; it's the only one that doesn't carry any stat bonuses with it.

You could have a Black Mage wielding a staff, or a White Mage wielding a rod. Maybe there's some use case for that? It would give you access to a second rod breaker, which is probably not a bad option at some point. It also comes so late in the game that most of the times you'd want it are long since passed.

Of course if you can do that you also have the option of using !Time, which is significantly better, so :shrug:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Offhand, I can only think of three situations where Equip Rod might have a potential use.

1. Giving it to a Geomancer to boost their elemental spells. However, the class' only worthwhile elemental spell, Wind Slash, can already be boosted by the Air Knife. And even if that wasn't the case, by the time you master Time Mage you'll most like have access to the Rune Chime.
2. Giving it to a Ninja to boost scroll damage. I'm too lazy to calculate whether that'd do more damage than giving them !Time, but I doubt it. Even if it did, the additional utility of !Time easily beats the damage boost (Quick alone would be superior).
3. Giving it to a Cannoneer to boost the elemental cannons. Probably the only genuinely useful application, since there aren't many other ways of boosting !Combine short of increasing your level.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Samuel Clemens posted:

2. Giving it to a Ninja to boost scroll damage. I'm too lazy to calculate whether that'd do more damage than giving them !Time, but I doubt it. Even if it did, the additional utility of !Time easily beats the damage boost (Quick alone would be superior).

Assuming level 30, you'd have 180 * 5 vs 120 * 9, so not at end-game levels.

Also does it even increase elemental !Combine damage?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Using Quick to do !Combine twice per round would work better.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Consider the following:

1. Your party is black/time/monk/samurai

2. Your black mage is subbing !time and your time mage is subbing !black, because duh, and they both have element boosting rods glued to their hands

3. The samurai is probably also subbing !time, tbh

4. Three !time users is probably enough, so you're looking for something else for the monk to do

5. You didn't stock up on elixirs or flame rings because you wanted to throw money at your problems

6. Maybe endgame level heal staff bonks outheal hi potions, even with monk's lovely base magic?

7. Equip Katanas? What's that?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A Knight or Thief with Equip Rods has access to elemental damage that they otherwise wouldn't get.

e: Knight/Time/Bard/Dancer and you're going for the Brave Blade for some reason. Flame Rod Sword Dance might actually be useful for the pyramid.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 6, 2020

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ultrafilter posted:

A Knight or Thief with Equip Rods has access to elemental damage that they otherwise wouldn't get.

e: Knight/Time/Bard/Dancer and you're going for the Brave Blade for some reason. Flame Rod Sword Dance might actually be useful for the pyramid.

Equip Rods doesn't pass a magic score, so you're banking on a weapon based on [(Magic * Level) / 256] + 2 M on a base magic score of 19.

Rods also don't benefit from Sword Dance bonuses.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ultrafilter posted:

Also you have Bard, who laughs in the face of undead.

Now, Knight/Time/White/Monk, I could see having a second Rod snapper helping in the Pyramid, and the boss fight afterward.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gilgabot isn't pre-registrating me and it's making me sad.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm also having this problem and the associated sadness.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

Use a Berserker Bartz on the SFC/PS1 version with the Healing Staff and Thornlet against Omega with Haste of some sort. Congrats, you now have Cure 2s being bounced back at your side with a crazy high magic power.

I mean, I still wouldn't recommend it, but it's Technically A Use.

Same goes for Berserker with Power Staff against Shinryu.

Hilariously, I can't figure out any non-superboss reason to use Equip Rods.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
I have a newbie question, when you get new jobs can I switch to previous older jobs to grind out abilities for any character?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

RobertLeeYates posted:

I have a newbie question, when you get new jobs can I switch to previous older jobs to grind out abilities for any character?

Yes, you're allowed to shuffle jobs around freely as long as there's at least one of each of your chosen jobs on your team.

Note that this doesn't apply to Natural (everyone gets exactly one job) and Upgrade. (everyone is locked to the latest job you have)

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IFvSlfSh7Y

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Mustached Demon posted:

A Real Horse posted:

I'm also having this problem and the associated sadness.

Send RevenantKioku a DM on twitter or in the (Official, non-goon) discord. I had the same problem and he helped me out out pretty quick. If you're messaging him on Discord make sure in include your Twitter handle so he can fix it (in my case it was just a matter of gilgabot following me back)

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

BTW I say this every year ever since I used to do this wrong:

When you submit boss victory tweets, limit it to one of the hashtags per tweet. Otherwise RK has to fix them manually.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

You've also been able to submit your victory screenshots directly through the fiesta site for a few years now. The only thing you absolutely must use tweets for still is the initial #reg.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Rynyin posted:

Send RevenantKioku a DM on twitter or in the (Official, non-goon) discord. I had the same problem and he helped me out out pretty quick. If you're messaging him on Discord make sure in include your Twitter handle so he can fix it (in my case it was just a matter of gilgabot following me back)

One more thing is if your Twitter account is set to private it messes with the registration reply tweet and doesn’t register you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

The issue is that 99% of the roadblocks in this game are bosses, not random encounters.

Geomancer is very bad at most boss encounters not named Neo-Exdeath.

and thoroughly mediocre at ned. You wind up doing around 1k damage per part with windslash.

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
How hubristic is it to do Berserker Risk if it's my first run of the game? Am I likely to get through with a bit of grit and determination?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PastaBakeWizard posted:

How hubristic is it to do Berserker Risk if it's my first run of the game? Am I likely to get through with a bit of grit and determination?

Grit, determination, and posting in the discord chat when you need help will surely bring victory. :black101:

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020

Mustached Demon posted:

Grit, determination, and posting in the discord chat when you need help will surely bring victory. :black101:

Alright, we're going in! :black101:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Most people will only get one berserker in berserkerrisk and that's perfectly fine. Berserkers aren't the best class and suck at the superbosses but a single berserker can still contribute and do cool things.

It's when you get 2 or more that things start getting annoying, and even then there are paths forwards that the discord is going to tell you.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My personal favorite zerky combo is with ninja. Double death!!!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Berserker Risk is fine for your first as long as you're doing something that doesn't allow dupes. So of your do a normal run with Berserker risk, you'll get one and can go about your run with 3 real party members.

On the other hand, a chaos berserker run could leave you with the legendary 4 berserker team.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Berserker Risk can end up with duplicates even if you couldn't otherwise.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Berserker Risk can end up with duplicates even if you couldn't otherwise.

Normal Risk can only ever have one Berserker, in the Water spot where it would normally go.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Did they change that recently?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

idk if it was a change but it's definitely been true the past few years.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

TBH I would just recommend Normal for your first run, no zerker risk. Not that you can't put the zerker to good use, but if this is your first time playing through this game it would be more rewarding to play with characters you can actually control.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

TBH I would just recommend Normal for your first run, no zerker risk. Not that you can't put the zerker to good use, but if this is your first time playing through this game it would be more rewarding to play with characters you can actually control.

Watch as he does this and gets zerker anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ultrafilter posted:

Did they change that recently?

I don't think so. My opening Fiesta run in the past four years has always been Normal with Berzerker Risk, and I never got more than one Zerk. I don't know how it works for Random though.