Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, I Risked Three zerkers and a Dragoon back in 2016 and while I somehow finished it it was the most mind-numbingly painful thing I've done. Not gonna risk the Risk after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Technical difficulties. NOW it's a proper Fiesta season.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

thinking of playing for the first time this year. what does 750/no750 mean?

750 is the price of fire/ice/thunder rods, and a common strategy is to have folks break them to cast high-level spells. the divider is between classes that can equip them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but is foolish antics just his shtick for the Fiesta? Have a couple of incidents been inflated into a meme? I know he runs other stuff, and from what I've seen he's pretty competent, but I don't have a sense of the person.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Allegedly he's a really good runner of basically everything else he runs - I haven't watched his solo streams so I don't know. He just has a very specific Achilles heel and it's FFV.

That's why I've never been able to figure out if it's a gimmick or not.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm late to the party, but it looks like Bowie's quite a bit behind the rest. Any interesting story there?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

And then Elmagus won with 1hp left!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bowie had a clutch win as well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I only use one per crystal, but I'll often unlock them all at the start because I'm an obsessive completionist and otherwise I'll be hitting every piano and ribbon and whatever else class-specific is along the way "just in case."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Got Knight and Red Mage so far. Is this even Pure Chaos?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wait how are people already starting runs, I'm under the distinct impression that it's not June 17 anywhere yet

June 17 is the absolute deadline, but the weekend before that was THE RUN with four runners racing with a set of classes based on donations. Things open when the last runner finishes (and RK wakes up because that usually happens early morning his time, plus there were technical difficulties this year so he waited another 12 hours to sort those out).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Knight/Red Mage/Summoner/Black Mage. Hp might be an issue, but other than that the only hard part will be getting Doublecast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Looking something up on a wiki for red mages there was an odd sentence:

quote:

Giving a Red Mage White Magic 6 or Black Magic 6 will enable them to doublecast spells up to level 6 of that particular school of magic.

That's not possible to do on a RDM, right? Doublecast takes up the open ability slot?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

Correct. The best an RDM can do is dualcast level 3 magic, or single cast level 6 magic.

Thanks, just making sure I wasn't missing something. I'll have a dualcasting summoner, dualcasting black mage, and I guess a second summoner's more versatile than a second blm due to the utility summons.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

McFrugal posted:

...why did Gilgabot give me Geomancer for my Water job? I am not playing a chaos run.
My ruleset is Advance, Fifth job.

Advance makes the earth crystal an Advance job and squishes the other jobs down into three crystals.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ah, Barrier tower, AKA "do I NEED any reflect rings or am I just going after them out of habit?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Ah, Barrier tower, AKA "do I NEED any reflect rings or am I just going after them out of habit?"

... ^%%& I get Carbunkle! Why am I doing this?!?!?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The job system is front and center, you've got a bunch of strong toys to play with without needing to grind for most of it (aside from Doublecast) and opponents who don't force you to use one specific job to beat them. I think FFX-2 is the only other game that's this fluid in its flexibility, and in that one the jobs are more spread out and you have to unlock their powers because FFV's grind-purpose (using those abilities with other jobs) is instead what they give you freely via the in-combat dressphere changes. So FFV is unique in its replayability, if this style of game appeals to you.

Personally I also like how quickly this game plays. Movement is fluid and fast, your jobs are strong enough that most fights are over quickly, and nothing overstays its welcome. In the time even a casual player can finish this game some of the later ones would just be getting started.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Arzaac posted:

I uh...I didn't know you could actually die by waiting too long to fight Omniscient.

...I guess I'll do this again and stop Fork Tower from exploding this time.

One of us! One of us!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Thought about it and I think the Great Sea Trench would be better. Seems more useless if you don't have a time mage or geomancer to make it less annoying. Monk is ok because they need help.

So! Post a pic of you beating the triple goblin jerks to get credit.

Summoner made it pretty easy, but now I gotta walk all the way back out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

First run down. With Knight/Summoner/Black/Red and going through Phoenix Tower for Doublecast AP it wasn't difficult. Just a DPS race for the Almagest part and then nuking the rest bit by bit until a Lamp finisher.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mystic Knight, Monk, Ninja, Dragoon for this next run. Does anyone have synergy going on here?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Spell blade dual wield is pretty huge, I don't think you need more than that.

Also I think spellblade would boost ninja throw, though I don't know how it compares to pure casters. And two spellblade dual wielders.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

One of the best parts of this event every year is hearing first time reactions to the Big Bridge theme.

FF has a whole bunch of great music but something about Big Bridge just grabs you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Arzaac posted:

It's got that same energy as the solstice opening theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA) where you get the feeling that the composer put every ounce of soul he's got into the drat song.

If whoever did that box art didn't also paint a few vans their talent was wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Spellblade doesn't do anything to the chicken knife's flee proc does it?