Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Same :toxx: as last year. Use all twenty regular jobs and I'll donate $20 plus your job fair expenses (up to the total price of one of each regular job). Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon. There is no requirement to do this in exactly five runs, but more than that is a lot of FFV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

That said, we're not going to leave you in the lurch - lots of FFV pros participate in the Fiesta, and in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013 and 2014, too!). You can find it here, but be aware it contains story and boss spoilers, as well as a significant amount of mechanical information for the game.

This link throws a 404.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Source

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

You could also have a Berserker hitting an enemy with a harp, which is actually much more useful.

What's the point in issuing a toxx for doing something useful?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

750: White Mage, Black Mage, Blue Mage, Red Mage, Time Mage, Summoner, Bard, Geomancer, Dancer, Chemist

No 750: Knight, Thief, Monk, Berserker, Mystic Knight, Ninja, Ranger, Beastmaster, Samurai, Dragoon

750 + Berserker Risk is a pretty good choice for a first run except that there are a few combinations that can have a rough early game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Is this really the hill you want to die on?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

What are the options for a character to deal more than 9999 damage in a single round?

The scene with Gilgamesh sacrificing himself in the rift is a counter than Necrophobe executes against any attack that takes him under 10k hp. Dead enemies don't counter, so if you can kill him by dealing more than 10k damage in a single round, you can bypass that scene even if you took the Excalipoor. I discovered that by accident a couple years ago, and I'm thinking about making a toxx out of it, but it seems that being able to do it is very contingent on having certain combinations of jobs.

I can think of three ways to do it:
  1. Dualcasting a rod/staff-boosted high level elemental spell.
  2. Holy Spellblade + RadidFire (and maybe Flare too)
  3. Quick + a rod/staff-boosted high level elemental spell.
Are there any other options I'm missing?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Greg also doesn't show if you don't open the Excalipoor chest. :v:

But what's the fun in that? If I toxx, it'll be for getting Excalipoor and saving Gilgy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Berserker Risk, it depends on how you're feeling, as Berserker can be surprisingly good.

Whether you want to take on Berserker Risk your first time around depends pretty strongly on how many Berserkers a risker is likely to get. One is fine, two is a little iffy, and three can be a pretty bad time. They changed the rules a couple years ago so that fewer players would get multiple Berserkers, but it's still not totally safe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I've done something like that where each character is allowed to use the job from their crystal and one other. It gives a little more flexibility than a straight natural run without allowing everyone to spam the most powerful abilities.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's been pretty consistent ever since I started paying attention. All bets are off for this year, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You can require each character to use their own crystal's job for NED. Sometimes that doesn't make a difference, but if you get some of the more expensive jobs and don't want to grind AP for hours, it might matter.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yep. It's still going to be about two weeks until the actual Fiesta starts, but we'll need all of the registration options before then.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The preregistration form doesn't say anything about a new run mode. Is there anything somewhere else yet?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

#regeverhate

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Here's what I did a couple years back:
  1. Thief, Summoner, Beastmaster, Dragoon
  2. Black Mage, Berserker, Geomancer, Chemist
  3. Knight, White Mage, Red Mage, Ninja
  4. Monk, Mystic Knight, Ranger, Samurai
  5. Blue Mage, Time Mage, Bard, Dancer
Those were all pretty solid teams. I had to grind a little bit for levels with #4 to get past a couple bosses, but other than that I had no issues.

e: Don't forget that I'm making donations for everyone who actually pulls this off. See the toxx post on the first page for the specifics.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 2, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Imagine the shame of having trouble fighting Byblos.

If you don't have a source of fire damage, Byblos is a major roadblock.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If your wind job is Thief/Knight/Monk/White Mage, your water is Berserker, and your fire is Bard/Ranger/Geomancer, you're going to fall in that bucket. For a normal run, the probability of one of those job combinations is 8%, so it's fairly common.

e: If you're running Monk, Berserker and Bard/Ranger/Geomancer, you are absolutely going to hate Byblos. That's 2% of all normal run job assignments.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 4, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Even with Geomancer being useful, that still leaves a slightly greater than 5% chance of going up against Byblos with a party that has no fire damage.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Geomancer is very niche. In general you'd prefer any other fire crystal job over it. But you don't have much to worry about, because you have Time Mage and Samurai.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Geomancer's perfectly fine if you're not playing by Fiesta rules. You won't use it much, but having its passives on your Freelancers is nice, and !Gaia is a good ability for the various Mage classes. It's just being locked into it that kinda sucks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I can't remember whether Equip Rods also gives the ability to use staves, but if not, that's the other category.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

Equip Rods is the most useless Equip skill, though; it's the only one that doesn't carry any stat bonuses with it.

Maybe if you could break Thunder Rods on Omega, but you can't sooooo

You could have a Black Mage wielding a staff, or a White Mage wielding a rod. Maybe there's some use case for that? It would give you access to a second rod breaker, which is probably not a bad option at some point. It also comes so late in the game that most of the times you'd want it are long since passed.

Of course if you can do that you also have the option of using !Time, which is significantly better, so :shrug:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Using Quick to do !Combine twice per round would work better.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A Knight or Thief with Equip Rods has access to elemental damage that they otherwise wouldn't get.

e: Knight/Time/Bard/Dancer and you're going for the Brave Blade for some reason. Flame Rod Sword Dance might actually be useful for the pyramid.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 6, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Berserker Risk can end up with duplicates even if you couldn't otherwise.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Did they change that recently?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

berenzen posted:

Luckily FFV is very easy, even by final fantasy standards, and the limiters put in place actually can help by limiting any paralysis of choice of 'which job do I level'

Honestly the biggest challenge is finishing the game with no restrictions in place.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I like a lot of the W3 content so I'll usually do those parts if I can, but having the option to skip it is definitely clutch.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

but whyyyyyy they're uselessssssss (unless you have a Monk or Chemist)

Having a full magic list is pretty tempting. It took me a few fiestas to cure myself of the habit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Look Sharp! posted:

What difference does a Monk make?

Monks can't equip knives, which means that they can't boost Syldra. Without the boost, Bahamut and Leviathan are stronger.

e: White Mage also can't boost summons, but they can throw around boosted Holy, which makes up for whatever other issues they may have.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 10, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yes. :colbert:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Liquid Flame, Byblos and Sol Cannon for sure. Maybe Adamantoise?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Galick posted:

lmao you can use dance with Brawl? That's hilarious.

Rapidfire too. You get eight punches and each one has a chance to crit, which makes it pretty fantastic against a single target.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I usually end up around 37 or so. A lot of that comes from not running so much in world 1.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Don't completely forget the Phoenix Tower. It's a slog and there's no equipment, but you can get a decent amount of money and the Magic Pot fights let you trade an elixir for 100 AP. That's not necessarily a great deal for a lot of parties, but if you have Red Mage, it can make getting Dualcast a little less painful.

Oh, and there's also Phoenix at the top, which is worth picking up if you have a Summoner.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

On the flip side, elemental power leviathan hits like a train powered by sheer hatred, and rules

Plus it doesn't require you to grind for Mix ingredients, which is nice sometimes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Can someone clear something up for me about Chaos runs? I know that normally you'd get your first job and then everything would stop being a freelancer and switch to your Wind Crystal job, but I'm being given the impression that in Chaos, instead of having at least one of each job you have unlocked, you have exactly one of each job you have unlocked and the balance are freelancers. Is that right or is my reading comprehension just garbage?

You have Freelancers up until you get your first equippable job. After that, normal fiesta rules apply.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Are they starting the fiesta now, or are they still waiting for the countdown to finish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I lost my save when my hard drive failed last year and had to do the opening thirty minutes for the first time in years. It sucked big time.