Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Losem posted:

Is there a way to confirm you're prereg? I did the tweets but didn't get anything back confirming it.

How can I tell if I'm preregante

(Go to the "Players" page on the Fiesta site and check to make sure your twitter handle is there. If not, dm RK.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bruceski posted:

I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but is foolish antics just his shtick for the Fiesta? Have a couple of incidents been inflated into a meme? I know he runs other stuff, and from what I've seen he's pretty competent, but I don't have a sense of the person.

Yes, but it's not just incompetence in his case.

Kyrosiris posted:

Technically this was back when DD and Puwexil were the only racers and had different teams.

I forget what specifically Puwexil had but it involved Time Mage and he was actually receptive to me informing him the Crystals aren't Heavy and thus could be hosed up quick-like with Time's gravity spells.

E: Thanks, wayback machine - it was Thief/Time/Geomancer/Dragoon for Puwexil vs Monk/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Dancer for Dragondarch. In spite of having the better team, dd managed to lose by like... an hour? maybe an hour and a half?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Allegedly he's a really good runner of basically everything else he runs - I haven't watched his solo streams so I don't know. He just has a very specific Achilles heel and it's FFV.

Dragondarch is pretty solid as a runner, but when it comes to running FF5, which is both (a) a good game and (b) an RPG, he gets Wacky Ideas. And then when people (read: Kyrosiris) point out how counterintuitive and unproductive said ideas are, his fans go lynch mob and said people get banned from his Twitch.

We don't (as far as I know) actually hate the guy, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear he hates us, and his Crazy Ideas (most of which involve Not Sleeping At All the night before The Run) are nonetheless a massive source of surreal wonder and comedy prior to the Fiesta.

ETA: As an example of how "unproductive" said ideas can be, in the context of a race, the Wind Shrine wipe was during a Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist run. DD decided that, since everyone was going to do Death By Math (read: level manipulation to enable Lv5 Death), and Death By Math is Boring And Bad, he was instead going to do Death By Different Math (read: level manipulation to enable Goblin Punch.) It's not a bad idea for "do something that will make the run memorable" but by god it's not going to win you any friends or races, especially when you've been up 72 hours prior to that and lose your goddamn mind when you miscount your Dragon Fangs. That run was the reason DD stopped participating in the FJF runs for a few years, I'm pretty sure.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 14, 2020

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zenithe posted:

One of them is using the y-burns logo from the OP.

Yeah, eLmaGus has used that as his profile pic and calling card easily as long as this thread has, I forget which came first.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pyrus Malus posted:

my other two jobs are dancer and bard :shepface:

Congratulations on an easy NED and Shinryu kill, terribly sorry about the entirety of World 2.

World 3 shouldn't give you any problems at all in general; Thief gets Chicken Knife !Mug so you have reliable, consistent damage, Dancer dances, Bard bards, and White Mage gets the power of :holy:.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Arzaac posted:

Nah, he'll be fine, he's got Chemist and Samurai. Just can't use them because, you know, Earth Crystal.

No, the real horror is getting past Sol Cannon. If he's not in the mid-30s to early 40s by then, mad props. And at that point, well. The game is all but literally over.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

apophenium posted:

I'm excited about this Fiesta!!! I registered for a Pure Chaos Risk run. My first risk!

I also want to do a :toxx: challenge:

I'll donate $2 for every victory with Bartz named ACAB, BLM, George, or any related name, up to $100. Let's have fun and help people!

Dunno if it's too late to fit in under the toxx, but still.

Unrelatedly, thanks to OFS losing his mind on Discord I took the bullet and actually swapped Dancer for Red Mage in this horrid, accursed run. As of that, I now have a new respect for the most mediocre of jobs.

Things Red Mage can do well:
  • They have pretty solid equip options - a LOT of things can be done with Rod and Staff access, even if you're not rodsnapping. Hell, rod access combined with -ra level magic makes up for poor stats in World 1, and access to the Ancient Sword can make quite a few fights safer. (Bridgegamesh comes to mind.) The Power Staff makes Monk slightly better than it initially was, too.
  • Even without any other mages, !Dualcast is good for healing (Cura doublecasted is ~1000 to one person or ~450-500 to all, which saves on Hi-Potion costs compared to No-750 runs) and for support (Raise/Protect/Confuse alone are worth the price of admission, honestly, and Mini has some niche uses)

Things Red Mage cannot do worth a drat:
  • Do damage without some severe babying - either statboosts from secondary skills or shenanigans with the Chicken Knife or rod snapping
  • Take a hit, ever

Turns out being "slightly above average" in most stats doesn't really do fuckall for the most important number in the game, aka the numbers you make pop out of the enemies.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Arban posted:

So due to how the jobs lined up in my Pure chaos run, I have to do go from castle Karnak to Ronka ruins with four white mages.
Any tips?

Weep tears of blood. Cheat your other jobs in if you feel comfortable doing that. Use the Job Fair if you aren't comfortable with cheating.

All things considered, you're probably going to have to grind Angel Rings for Sol Cannon and you'll need to be an obscene level to get past both it and Byblos. Flails are going to do double digit damage (occasionally, with extreme luck, something in the low 100 range) no matter what you try and you've got thousands of HP to chew through.

EDIT: I feel like this bears emphasizing. If you value your sanity, do not try to fight Sol Cannon with 4x White Mages or 4x Bards. Do not attempt Byblos with 4x White Mages. It is a level of suffering and anguish reserved for quadzerkers, just as soulcrushing but for the exact opposite reason. Especially in the case of Byblos, the problem isn't that it's a fight you can't survive, but a fight you can't win. You simply will never be able to outdamage his drains, and meanwhile Dischord will reduce you to effective level 1 and thus unable to do any damage in return while he's continuing to barf Wind Slashes on you.

If you have literally any other options - job fair, mods/hacks/cheats, breaking the honor system, giving up on the Fiesta for the rest of the year - for the love of god, take them. Don't do this to yourself.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 21, 2020

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Phenotype posted:

Also, is it "cheating" to use the fiesta mod to unlock classes early? I can't imagine being stuck with 4 WHM this long just because you got 3 Earth Crystal jobs -- I figure it makes more sense thematically if each crystal gives you a new job.

In addition to what AdmiralJoeslop said, the way RK sees it is that the potential of a 4x White Mage world 1 is entirely a hazard of choosing Chaos/Pure Chaos/Advance. Intentional difficulty as opposed to accidental.

So, you know. In the eyes of the subreddit, it's probably not kosher, but none of us here are cops.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Huh, weird. I'll add it to the list.

Yeah, something about how Treedeath's attacks (and Wendigo's attacks, oddly enough) are coded make it so that in the SNES/PSX/GBA versions, they don't count as "physical attacks" for the purposes of breaking Sleep/Confuse/!Sing. Probably has to do with the way !Mineuchi/!SwdSlap is coded wrong in those games but fixed in the Steam/Mobile version; the enemy attacks probably have the same bit that command does.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ultrafilter posted:

Use the Wonder Wand to hit Shinryu with Berserk and beat him to death. The Crystal Dragons in the area around him have a spear you can steal that does extra damage to dragons, so that'll help.

If you're on GBA you can use !Calm to stunlock Omega and beat him to death with a Coral Sword. It's going to take a while and the timing is pretty tight. If you're not on GBA, you don't really have a good option here.

1000 Needles and Trident Jumping will also do guaranteed damage to Omega, but it won't be much. Better than Coral Swords with a Blue Mage's/Red Mage's lackluster STR, though.

I wouldn't advise going for it on versions other than the GBA version due to being able to exploit the !Calm bug, but Mighty Guard and a high level (like level 50 or 60, well past the point you'd need to be to clear the game) certainly make it far more possible to brute force Omega with that team if you absolutely must have that Triple Crown on SNES/PSX/iOS.

Hellioning posted:

Run two: MNK/SAM/SAM/NIN.

I don't know how I can kill Omega or Shinryu without an annoying amount of grinding, but I might need an annoying amount of grinding to money Exdeath to death. Oh well, I'll figure it out.

MNK/SAM/SAM/NIN can brute force Shinryu at least with the necessary equipment - 4x Coral Rings, Ice Shields and Diamond Helms for your Samurai. Diamond Plates can help for the light armor characters, too, though they'll get reduced to a paste by Ice Storm most likely no matter what you do. Use the Masamune to spread Haste around, chuck Elixirs and Phoenix Downs any chance you get. He's got 60 defense, so you're going to have to get by with normal attacks instead of making it rain (again, unless you get to something like Level 60, which is way too excessive) but it's certainly possible.

Omega has you relying on Samurai criticals (through Omega's 95% physical evade) and Lightning Scrolls, so even before you take into account the insane trouble you'll have surviving, chances aren't good for doing the necessary damage.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 22, 2020

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The good news is that if you never play Advance or Pure Chaos, you never have to risk dealing with the Rug Wizard unless you have the means to do so. Rod-using classes have enough magic of some variety or another to kill him, White Mage can (at least in non-Steam/Mobile versions) Berserk him to get around the Reset Problem, and Silence Sword from the Mystic Knight stops him in his tracks.

It does mean you lose out on a second Aegis Shield, but when the alternative is whittling down a carpet man with mage mashers and/or draining thirty thousand MP 10 at a time, you take the less absurd of two worlds.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 22, 2020

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EDIT: I apparently have no idea how Winner actually works :confused: I see two team compositions, one absurdly easy and the other absurdly bullshit, and I'm not sure if those are the only two outcomes or not.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 22, 2020

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BisbyWorl posted:

You can't use Necromancer at all, because you have to clear the Sealed Temple to unlock it. Clearing the Temple under Fiesta restrictions is nigh impossible, so the only way to get Necro is with cheats or mods and RK will never officially allow that.

Don't make us tap alcharagia's sign again.

Necromancer isn't even good for a Fiesta setting; all the downsides of Bone Mail with none of the upsides or ability to wear Bone Mail, can only get one of their skills before World 3 and only a third to half of them before the final boss. Most of their kit is in the Sealed Shitshow.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cattail Prophet posted:

E: Oh, haha just kidding, mime can equip staves and apparently I picked up 3 power staves going through meatfort. Also, just as a refresher, mime inherits raw stats from mastered jobs, but not any other passives, correct?

Mime inherits the same things that Freelancer inherits: Stats, Dual Wield, and any non-equipment passives. (Also no HP+/MP+, but that's true for Freelancer too.)

Most of these are non-entities since they either don't have a use in a Fiesta setting (Thief's non-stat passives are all active just by having a thief, same with Geomancer) or don't really help Mime in the slightest (why would you want Barehanded when you could just use that Monk strength with an actual weapon, even if it's just the Assassin's Dagger or Chicken Knife)

The lack of equipment passives is just far more obvious since unlike Freelancer, Mimes are limited to Knives, Rods, Staves and Thief poo poo for weapons, and don't get free Ribbon access either.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 9, 2020

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

palindrome posted:

Cool, thanks for the write-up. I figured this was an exp display issue but it is a valid solution to the given problem which means it is acceptable. Plus it's always interesting to me when coders decide to limit something at 9,999,999 instead of going for the max INT they could display. I guess 9s are more satisfying than 4,294,967,296? I don't actually know what the maximum value is for the SNES system, I imagine they used a pair of 16-bit integers to store exp value in FF5? I barely know what I'm talking about.

Square-Enix loves its 9s. Do 9999 damage at lv 99 with 9999 HP and 999 MP, gain 9999999 Exp.

It's probably an aesthetics thing, as high as you can get in base-10 without adding another digit.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DrOnline posted:

I think I've already decided now that I've looked a little harder. Pure chaos, no berserker risk. Maybe ill get in on pre reg next year and take the risk

Edit: I'm dumb berserker risk is pre reg only

Pure Chaos can be a little overwhelming for a first run depending on your luck, but it's certainly possible. Random would have been kinder on you as far as learning jobs - you'll always have access to the jobs you roll, as opposed to rolling a job from three crystals further than you are or, god forbid, Mime - but you should be fine as long as you ask here or on the Discord if you need help.

Being on the Vita means you're technically playing the PSX version (though hopefully with better load times) so enjoy your Y Burns and your Ultrapirate Faris, Yarr.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DrOnline posted:

Haha! Too late. It begins with Time Mage.

That’s already a solid start, at least. You’ll have to stay jobless until the water crystal (that’s where Time Mage is if you’re playing unmodded/without cheats) but as long as you roll something that can do damage with that crystal you’re set for the game.

If not, well. Learn to love the number 750.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

Demi and Stop are surprisingly useful for Karnak and the Library.

Emphasizing this. A common fallacy is that, since gravity spells are percentile and thus have rapidly diminishing returns even on things they do work on, they're not worth using.

This is not correct and when you're doing ~110 damage per flimsy knife-shank, being able to shave off 750 out of 1000 hp in two casts is hugely efficient. Suddenly you've taken a ten turn slog and turned it into less than half the time.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Arzaac posted:

Oh wow, even with the like, 5 magic they'd have?

That's crazy. Guess the Titan's Axe only for if you've got two berserkers and no inheritable magic.

Except the two places to get a Titan's Axe are a steal from Gigaflare-Charging Twintania (which you want to kill as quickly as possible) and Istory Falls.

In order to get to Istory Falls in any sort of reasonable manner, you need a class with inheritable magic. Even Mystic Knight passes on its magic stat, so literally everything that Omniscient allows can pass on a non-terrible magic stat. In order to "need" the Titan's Axe, you first have to get through the rugwizard with nothing but mage mashers.

If you have two berserkers and no magic stat, you give your other berserker either the Assassin Dagger or the Gaia Hammer until you can get the Thor's Hammer from the rift. If you have three or more berserkers and no magic stat, you've already committed yourself to praying for Gaia Hammer procs anyway regardless of MAG stat.

The Titan's Axe is slightly worse than the Brave Blade, is what I'm saying.

EDIT: Wait, no, the Titan's Axe has exactly one use that the Brave Blade doesn't: You can pawn it for 20k. The 91 Attack Power on the Titan's Axe is worth exactly 40% of an Elixir.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 12, 2020

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DrOnline posted:

Just hit the second world with Thief, Beastmaster, Time Mage, Samurai. Anything I should be keeping my eye out for/ making sure not to miss?

Since I remember this being your first time, I'll try to be as in-depth as possible.

• Go down into Galuf's basement when you get the chance and steal a Twin Lance from the statues there. It's their rare steal. It'll keep your Thief relevant in damage until you can get the power of poultry. You don't have to beat the statues, unless you want to grind AP, but if you choose to, just use Gold Needles on them for a one-shot kill; it's better than trying to slug it out with them (they're technically enemies from significantly later in the game so they take a lot of punishment and can deal it right back)
  • Buy Comet the first chance you get. It's Time Mage's only real means (outside of rod snapping) of doing damage to enemies that don't get affected by Gravity until the very last bit of the game.
  • Likewise, Hastega is an immediate priority when it's available. It should go without saying why. It's Haste, but for everyone! :pseudo:
  • As ultrafilter stated, there's an old man in the well in werewolf town that wants you to Capture a Kornago (or whatever it's called in the PSX version; they're the frogs in the swamp outside of Galuf's place that run away at low health - Stop and Gravity them for an easier time) and will give you a Kornago Gourd if you do. You want this for your Beastmaster, it changes the threshold for pokeballing enemies from 1/8 health to 1/2 health.
  • Also as ultrafilter stated, you might want to try to get 4x Reflect Rings. You can either get them as a rare drop from Reflect Knights in Barrier Tower, or as a common steal from Reflect Mages in your second trip to Exdeath'sX-Death's Castle. Your choice as to which you want to do, since there's a boss fight between the two that it can be helpful to have Reflect for.
  • Pick up Teleport from Galuf's place and Float from the other castle town on the map when you get a chance - you're in a rare position to use them, and both of them are incredibly nice to have. Float's pretty well hidden, though, if you're new, so don't be discouraged if you have to poke around to find it.
  • Every time you encounter Gilgamesh (aside from the first visit to Exdeath's Castle and the fight on the Big Bridge) you can steal a piece of Genji equipment from him. Make sure to do that if you can, your samurai will appreciate it.

Everything else should just be the usual "loot dungeons" standard; having the ability to see hidden passages means you'll generally not need to worry about that.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 12, 2020

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Also, for some reason I was under the impression that hitting Atomos with sleep spellblade while he was already asleep wouldn't wake him up. I guess I've always had a source of magic damage every other time I've put him to sleep.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Ohhhhh I've been assuming that sleep spellblade only lasts a super short time.

Yeah, the actual mechanics of it is wonky but you can treat it as, essentially, a toggle. First hit puts him to sleep, and then second hit counts as a physical attack and wakes him up, but doesn't reapply sleep since the game thinks it's still there.

So it's an on-off-on-off thing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

You have to be like L40 to damage Calofisteri with Giltoss.

Ask me about doing a Giltoss-only run and quitting after being stonewalled by loving Calofisteri of all bosses.

TIL Calofisteri has 50 goddamn defense. :aaa: You never notice it because by this point your normal weapons have far outstripped that (monk fists potentially excepted) so you can just smack her in the face until she dies since she doesn't really do anything at all.

On the plus, whatever damage you do to Calofisteri, you'd do 3000 damage more to each piece of NED. Yes, this random tree bullshit fairy has more defense than the final boss.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

palindrome posted:

I'm convinced the Fiesta Mod is the way to go (or some sort of SNES all-jobs cheat). I actually find it kind of fun to get bard or dragoon as the first class, and have to adapt to the ship graveyard, water tower, and Garula. In all honesty it's mostly similar to a thief or white mage start and freelancer would be much easier. I still find it kind of fun to start with 4 random earth-crystal classes.

Honestly, if you’re running more than once a year, Project Demi is ALSO a strong option. If only there could be a version of that which auto-unlocked the jobs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nemo2342 posted:

I decided that I really wanted a second Aegis shield, so I ended up doing Rugwizard with Freelancer + Bard.

That was painful.

Would’ve been less painful to just thief knife an Aegis from the back end of the Rift. The only times you should kill Rugwizard are if you have the tools to kill rugwizard or if you really, really don’t want to reroll Mime or an Advance class but are also playing on a clean/uncheated version of the game. The second free Aegis isn’t worth the stress, Monks are still bad even with Kaiser Knuckles, and there is basically no instance where the Titan’s Axe outdamages the Rune Axe.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 28, 2020

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nemo2342 posted:

I didn't know that I could steal one in the Rift, or I might have tried that instead.

Yeah, they're the rare steal off of Gorgimeras, the chimera-looking things in the last part of the Void.

I should really get my Literally Free Triple Crown done, but somehow one of the strongest setups I've had in fiesta history (MYS/RNG/CHM/RDM) has hit all of my :effort: buttons.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Man with Hat posted:

White mage is so much better than, say, thief.

Yeah, by the time you get to Garula, you have access to the Healing Staff and that means White Mage is stable, you just have to have the patience to slog through it. The hardest fight in the Wind Crystal -> Water Crystal run for a White Mage is probably Carl Boss, mostly because you've got to kill it with Staff Damage or your bare goddamn hands. Siren can be Heal Bombed and Magissa/Forza aren't huge threats thanks to Silence and Protect.

White Mage solo class runs don't actively hurt until Liquid Flame and Byblos, and if you're solo White Mage by that point, you're either in Pure Chaos (and know what you're getting into) or you rolled a dupe (in which case hey two white mages in endgame).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

I disagree. Getting to put Equip Ribbons on your Summoner and !Summon on an innate Ribbon-haver is ridiculous when you have Shell access.

Don't forget that surviving Almagest with Shell is trivial. It's a fifteen level difference in how high you need to take a Dancer to survive it comfortably.

They were talking about the Fall event with Monk/Red Mage/Geo. Sadly, Red Mage gets kneecapped just shy of Shell, meaning having a ribbon isn't as helpful as having an Aegis Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

W.T. Fits posted:

The only thing Geomancer is good for is as an Equip Axes chassis for the Gaia Hammer. :colbert:

They're also good as a !Throw chassis for all the scrolls your actual ninja sucks balls at using. Not as good as a summoner or black mage (at least until Rune Chime, which is well after scrolls have lost their oomph), but unlike a summoner or black mage, they don't have Better, MP-Using Things they could be doing with their turns.