Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gotta start the Fiesta off right, with some lovely memes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh yeah right, the cool stuff guide is dead. I'll edit that and do the toxx post later.

It's not dead!

Last year someone showed up with a copy they made, and I'm pretty sure I have a backup as well for just that reason.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chaos can give the duplicate jobs, Pure Chaos cannot. PC also throws Freelancer and Mime into the mix.

I want Pure Chaos with duplicates.

I also THINK that 750 is divided between jobs that can and jobs that can't use rods.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah, even ignoring "just break rods for literally everything" Freelancer can use any weapon and armor in the game. They're very powerful just on their own, and can suck up a lot of useful things from your other jobs.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

It's funny you should mention visibility. Because you know what I saw when I finally did find the 2019 thread, that put me in a bit more of a snappy mood than I'd intended? Twenty-two new posts. Now, how could there be twenty-two new posts when I stopped checking in after the Fiesta ended?

As I'm sure you are aware, it's because RK held two events, one in December and one in March. I didn't know about these events and judging by the thread's traffic nobody else did either. That's because this subforum was covered, as usual, in a deluge of posts and threads by users with little interest in the Fiesta even assuming by sheer chance their eyeballs had managed to spasm for long enough to notice its existence.

Games has always been an imperfect environment for the Fiesta thread. It's a shotgun spread that does bring in new players, enough to be fairly successful, even if after six years we're still talking about a thread that caps out at sixty-two pages. But that's not because of the magic of Games. That's the magic of the Fiesta. That same magic that gets you all here every year. Because you're passionate about FFV's classic design, formatted in a style that's rarely seen this century. You are special and I am not saying this to flatter you. I am saying this to empathize that the Fiesta appeals to a certain kind of person.

That person is a Retro Games poster. A person utterly obsessed with ancient obscure games, and typically in the possession of more money than any kind of sense about an appropriate place to spend it. The kind of person who could get hyped by posts in a dead thread three months later because it's in a subforum that gets a lot less action- but what action it does get is centered around that very special itch, in a more convenient, intuitive location to boot. You dig?

You sound very obsessed with this whole thing and should just drop it instead.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Let's say I want to play the GBA version on my computer, and also have access to the save file on my phone, either through the Internet or just copying it through Wi-Fi, so I can play it when I'm at work. Is there a simple way to accomplish this? Do GBA and mobile emulators even share enough code to have transferable save files?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Harrow posted:

I did something like it when I replayed FF6 most recently. I called it the "Esper Attunement" run.

The idea is that each Esper can only be used by a certain number of characters--outside of those characters, nobody else can use it, meaning they can't learn its spells or get its level-up stat bonuses. The first time I did it, I sorta broke the Espers into three tiers based on how powerful their spells/bonuses were. The weakest Espers could be used by up to three characters; the middle Espers by up to two; and the best could only ever be used by one character. It didn't really make the game harder, necessarily, but it did lead to me actually specializing characters and "building" them to be strong in specific ways. It also meant that I got a lot more use out of characters' unique abilities--Strago's blue magic meant I didn't have to waste many spellcasting Espers on him because he had magic of his own, and similarly Edgar's tools and Sabin's blitzes took over for magic for them as well. I focused a lot on Locke having high HP so he could get good damage out of the Valiant Knife. Celes, Terra, and Relm got to be my main spellcasters because of their naturally higher magic stats.

It was pretty fun all around. Not all that hard, but it added more decision-making and made each character feel very distinct all the way up to the end, which I appreciated. Next time I might go all the way and just make it so that every Esper can only ever be "attuned" to one character so I really, really have to specialize right from the start.

It's a bit of an edge case but I believe you can do this with the FF6 randomizer, Beyond Chaos. You can use as few or as many codes as you want, so in theory you could only use the Esper Allocator code to get random Espers.

Every Esper has at least, and usually only, one person that can equip it. Some of the Espers can have multiple users, and some characters can have multiple Espers assigned to them. There might be tweaks to it at this point, I'd have to ask in the Discord.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Don't make me be the only one to sully the 2020 fanart.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sunday is the day we begin!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've fallen in the trap, laughed about it on the Discord, then immediately fallen in the same trap.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Was there a unique run type this year?

If there is, it hasn't been announced.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The only job in the game that can't solo the entire game is Berserker and even that is still THEORETICALLY possible. There are some combinations that can't kill one or both of the super bosses but those aren't required.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This is better as it goes directly to your page, you don't have to search for yourself.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

How is party formed

how girl get gregnant

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

Help, my brain put two and two together and I couldn't stop myself:

Mega64 posted:

An excuse to post a thing I made a few months ago.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

It makes me happy that Gilgamesh is just Greg now even outside of FF14.

I had no idea it even came from 14 in the first place until a couple months ago when I did that quest line. Thought it was just some organic thing that took hold.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

Wait I thought The Run was Monk / Red Mage / Geomancer / Dancer? It still shows as such on the site

Turns out they were doing Chaos, so the top four jobs period, not by crystal.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ElMagus kept mentioning "this weekend" on his stream so, probably.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Galick posted:

gently caress, I wish that you could combine that into the octostab of death. But you can't !Dance and !Rapidfire at the same time. Oh well, here's hoping I get a Monk this run because that sounds hilarious. I might Job Fair it.

E: I don't suppose FF5 is on the Switch or Playstation store, is it? Preferably the Advance version? I'd rather not get the Steam one but if that's all I can get, then that's all I can get.

I'll be surprised if the Advance versions of the games ever come out. The only "legal" way to play FFV is to own a cart, CD, or mobile/Steam version.

However no one gives a poo poo how you play and it's for charity anyway.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Were the Anthologies load times specifically because of the Playstation reading the CD, or also bad programming? I don't play many emulated disc games but I would imagine any digital version would have reduced or no load times unless the programming of the game itself caused issues.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hackan Slash posted:

My favorite part about this is everything is so janky that the fiesta page registration just creates a tweet.

Also, do people not use enkibot anymore? I just saw a spreadsheet in the op.

I still use it, I'm old and forgetful! There's been work done to update it with new info and Freelancer/Mime stuff but I don't know what the status is.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ReWinter posted:

I've never Fiesta-d (or finished FFV, for that matter) before but I'm pretty excited about it - will Gilgabot be tweetable for jobs,etc after the runs? I assumed the commands wouldn't work until the timer on the site finishes.

You can pre-register up until the Fiesta starts and in fact if you want to Berzerker Risk, you can ONLY do that as a pre-register.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm running behind on it but I :toxx: that I will pay $.01 per rod broken, and $.10 per speed trap, up to $50, as tracked on the Discord.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Enhancer and Aegis Shield are the only reason I ever go to Istory Falls, I usually leave after getting the Aegis Shield, assuming I have at least two shield users. Leviathan is only better than Syldra if you have a Chemist, at which point you have a Chemist and still have no reason to go get Leviathan.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There is also a Fiesta mod you can find on the Discord that unlocks all Jobs from the start. It generally ends up being harder if you roll something like Bard, because you aren't supposed to use Freelancers and now you gotta go with 4 Bards.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Are they starting the fiesta now, or are they still waiting for the countdown to finish?

Typically, it's after the last runner finishes and RK wakes up, or probably 12 hours as a mercy kill.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Is Bowie out of money? That's gonna be a rough finish if he hasn't even made it NED.
Edit: No, gill toss just did 0 for some reason against Catastrophe?

It's got too much defense.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Everyone get your F5 fingers ready!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Twitter's been hosed up, so the start is delayed about 12 hours to fix registration issues.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Tomorrow? But it starts in 2 days.

That's the End All, Be All, Everything Was hosed start date. Normally the Fiesta starts after The Run ends and RK wakes up. He was already awake this time but is delaying 12 hours to make sure everyone is registered properly.

Edit: Also yes please dump Twitter. Just wait until some chuds catch wind of the charity and spread the news to mass report Gilgabot for a temporary shut down.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Play how you want but I don't even roll my next crystal until I'm in the cutscene for it. There's rarely a delay once the Fiesta is off and running. I like the potential challenge of beating a boss or location with only one or two jobs available.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Summoner out the gate, I got a good feeling about this run.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pyrus Malus posted:

somebody correct me if I'm wrong - if you do something like pure chaos and your first job is a water job, you use freelancer til the water crystal?

If you aren't using something that unlocks all jobs at the start, yes.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pyrus Malus posted:

a friend of mine got possibly the worst pure chaos job pull of all time:

berserker, bard, dancer, mime

That's a Triple Crown right there, baby. Bard to !Calm Omega, Mime to use Wonder Wand to Berserk Shinryu. Chicken Knife Sword Dance to put out some damage.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 15, 2020

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Vil posted:

Freelancer / Berserker / Time Mage / Monk in a pure chaos risk run. Should be interesting.

The things you can't beat to death, you can rod to death. The things you can't do either to, you can Quick Leak.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

Both Shinryu and Omega are vulnerable to Quick Leak strats, right? I’ll probably end up with faster ways to dunk at least Shinryu but it’d be a good backup plan if I’m feeling too lazy to work more complicated ways.

Correct.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

Is there a good steal list around here somewhere?

https://ff5.mega64.net/index.php/drop-steal-guide

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Mime/Mime/Mime/Mime might actually be the worst party.

Mimes can break rods and wear most if not all armor, including shields.

They're a worse Freelancer but better than Geomancer overall, and at least some others.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Because I'm a Millennial who can only communicate through memes, here's what I pulled with Fifth Job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Total time somewhere around 7 hours, could've gone way faster if I didn't have a compulsive need to grind things that I don't need, like all those Turtle Shells and Dragon Fangs I didn't use.