Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

dropkickpikachu posted:

Well that sure was close. This is my first ever earnest attempt at doing FJF and I had to grind out like four levels to squeak this victory by. And then my Water crystal job is: Berserker. :getin:

If you get thief again, what I've found works for garuda pretty consistently is:

(1) grind for knives in the ghost ship.
(optional 1a) grind for some elixirs in the ghost ship.
(2) on the mountain, take some time to steal some sunglasses from the stone block guys. it is a common steal and gives a bit of stats.
(3) you should be able to afford the best equipment in walse and a stack of potions, stock up.
(4) steal mythril knives from wyverns in the tower.
(optional 4a) grind for some elixirs in the ghost ship. It is a little back tracking at this point, but much faster with your better gear.
(5) when fighting garuda, he starts counter attacking at like half health or something. so shove 3 people in the back line, spam potions with them as needed and only use 1 person to attack at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

RDM lets him snap rods to power through a ton of stuff, and later on you need more bodies to sing anyways. Not as good as other mages for sure, but if its the only one you have it does enable a lot of stuff.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit: Run 3 down - Dual Wield Dancer is shockingly potent when you can get them to stop hip thrusting suggestively and :killing: Getting him in a rainbow robe helped, but man that mana dance just ruins me every time, especially when it happens like 4-5 times in a row. SAM did the sock full of quarters thing, geo threw anime. Ninja was kind of the dead weight by the end, strangely enough. I didn't have a +magic kicker skill to boost throwing and melee was doing like 1k a pop so he became the dedicated healer. Samurai and Ninja both had Equip Ribbon which pretty much trivialized grand cross.

Yea my experience with ninja is that by the end they'll be sort of a healer or assist damage (either bonus anime scrolls or single target thrown). Early on they're pretty decent attackers, and anime is always respectable, but in general the boost they give to other classes is way bigger than what they can get in return. A strong !magic to boost throw is good, but still going to fall behind due to lack of rod boost. Still an amazing class with a lot of bonuses, and are great enablers.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

A boosted multi-target Firaga or Thundaga is only 138 potency compared to 120 for an unboosted Flame/Lightning Scroll. It's not very far behind at all.

Yea but a boosted scroll is 180? Like that is the comparison to make here.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Ah I wasn't clear then. I meant that a *ninja* throwing scrolls lags behind other classes, because of rod boost (or inherent magic ability/equips often times). Like if you need someone to take a turn using healing items, near the end its often the smallest loss to have your NIN do it (unless you got like a drg or something).