Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly if it wasn't for the third gold hairpin I might actually try it, but uh...

I've gotten that thing before with a Thief. Some things aren't worth repeating a timed dungeon dive for.

I Thief Knifed the gold hairpin last year, but that was because:

A) I was already doing all the optional stuff for my insane cutscene toxx (iirc, I did have to enter the tower but the Gogo fight itself wasn't necessary)
B) My team was something ridiculous like black/red/summon/time, so I actually had a use for a third hairpin
C) I was abusing savestates extensively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FWIW freelancer is actually pretty useful in a fiesta setting.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Is there something resembling a general discussion thread in the retro sub? It wouldn't hurt to drop a link in there somewhere, if nothing else.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

I should note that if your whole premise of wanting to keep this thread for a thirty old year game in Games is that the Retro Games forum sucks and no one posts there...you're not exactly working off a pitch inclined to make people want to jump subforums to have a good time with you.

It took me a bit to parse why this was a response to me specifically, considering I was closer to agreeing with you than a lot of other people. Are you seriously suggesting that retro games posters, who for the sake of argument we're pretending don't already post in games too, would refuse to participate in the fiesta out of... spite, for some reason? For a perceived slight (noone itt has said retro games sucks, btw) that they wouldn't even be aware of without already having expressed interest by clicking on the link?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There's always blessed kiss and quickleak, and time mage might also be able to pull it off with just quick and a good enough pair of meteors. Chicken dance with dual wield could work too with enough grinding or bard/chemist support.

Does anything Necrophobe does trigger monk's counter?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Harrow posted:

I've never actually finished FF5 before but I'm thinking of Fiesta-ing this year. Should I just go with the standard ruleset or is there one that you think might be more fun?

FF5 is one of the very few FFs I've never finished and I generally really like job system games and FF games so I'm not quite sure why I've never gotten through, but maybe the Fiesta will give me a good push to play through the whole way this time.

Standard is fine, but if you're specifically looking for something low stress to ease yourself into things, random750 is generally considered the "easiest" mode.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

What was last year's new run modifier, anyway? I know the advance jobs got decoupled from the void gimmick, but I don't remember if there was anything else.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

StrangeAeon posted:

Is there any setup for this that can Triple Crown all five runs?

Kyrosis's list looks good but I'm not sure I'd trust Summoner to take Omega, either.

Easily. Bard, chemist, beastmaster, and time mage are all free omega clears, and then you just put mystic knight and ranger on the last team and damage race him. As for Shinryu, you just need a rod/staff user on each team and a big enough pile of phoenix downs.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Now do Geomancer

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

...I was actually talking about Rune Chime shenanigans, but your answer is way more fun anyway.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

So I went digging in the algorithm guide because I wasn't familiar with the bell/rapid fire interaction, and not only does the bell damage formula ignore the step where rapid fire modifiers would be applied (which, to be fair, appears to be a trait shared by all weapons that deal magic damage), it also... skips accuracy checks altogether, for some reason? So you technically still get autohits with rapid fire, but only because you always get autohits. Bells also get shut down entirely by mute (the time spell, not the status effect... I think), which doesn't seem to be the case for any other weapon based magic.

Bells* are weird.

*Keep in mind that there are a grand total of four bells in the game, and only two of them actually use the bell damage formula.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This post counts as someone poo poo talking Diamond Bell and Kotetsu within earshot of me and I will not hear it :colbert:

Bold words from someone who can't even remember which katana they're talking about.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wait, does equip bells not pass along geomancer magic either?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Pretty sure it does, but the flail and morningstar might not be part of the deal.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Consider the following:

1. Your party is black/time/monk/samurai

2. Your black mage is subbing !time and your time mage is subbing !black, because duh, and they both have element boosting rods glued to their hands

3. The samurai is probably also subbing !time, tbh

4. Three !time users is probably enough, so you're looking for something else for the monk to do

5. You didn't stock up on elixirs or flame rings because you wanted to throw money at your problems

6. Maybe endgame level heal staff bonks outheal hi potions, even with monk's lovely base magic?

7. Equip Katanas? What's that?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

You've also been able to submit your victory screenshots directly through the fiesta site for a few years now. The only thing you absolutely must use tweets for still is the initial #reg.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Tbh it's barely worth it even with time mage unless your team's offense is really dire or you're allergic to having an incomplete spell list (which I am tbf).

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Mega64 posted:

There’s a cure to that, it’s called Phoenix Tower.

I've gotten summoner every year I've fiesta'd, and you'd best believe I climbed that tower every time. Besides, unlike

Ace Transmuter posted:

and Bahamut. And Leviathan.

Phoenix is Cool and Good and you can cheese Wendigo with it.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

how girl get gregnant

Help, my brain put two and two together and I couldn't stop myself:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Preemptive condolences to everyone involved for, uh, all of world one. Liquid Flame with four monks? Yikes.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hellioning posted:

The real question is how you wipe in the wind shrine.

Iirc he was deliberately running around with multiple dead party members to manipulate levels for future goblin punches.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I feel like it also bears mentioning that 32 is basically endgame level for parties that don't need the raw hp to survive almagest.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

I came up with a hopefully fun :toxx::

I'll donate $10 for every run, up to $100, that defeats Fork Tower for no reason other than to beat up rug wizard. So that means no white mage, black mage, mystic knight, or any other job that might benefit from holy or flare that I forgot/don't know about. Post a screenshot of the rug wizard dying along with a link to your player profile.

So get to smacking rug wizard (with magic damage)!

That's kind of a... fuzzy condition, given that there are two tablet dungeons locked behind Fork Tower, and while the Trench is pretty pointless for most parties, there's a lot of good loot in Istory. Then there's the defender and wonder wand in Fork Tower itself. Not to mention it's literally required if you're running pure chaos and roll mime.

E:f;b, partially

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I'm late to the party, but it looks like Bowie's quite a bit behind the rest. Any interesting story there?

He was already significantly behind when I tuned in, but he got owned by Clapperclaw a bunch which didn't help matters.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There is also a Fiesta mod you can find on the Discord that unlocks all Jobs from the start. It generally ends up being harder if you roll something like Bard, because you aren't supposed to use Freelancers and now you gotta go with 4 Bards.

Something something Kyrosiris' least favorite boss

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Twitch chat is saying that entering the void for the first time locks you out of getting the mirage vest from chocobo guy? Weird.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hahaha he just got death by math'd.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

poo poo, Yaga's still going? I stopped watching after his first death post Elmagus' finish.

E: Oh nvm now he's done

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Isn't the ribbon pretty much right on the critical escape path, even? It's not like it's one of the upper floor chests.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DeathSandwich posted:

Redmage can still smash rods though, giving him some level of use on top of passing red magic to your Geo to make him marginally less useless. Monk/zerk/geo/drg straight up has some bad synergy.

Yeah, in a vacuum I think you can make the argument either way, but with that party I'd absolutely rather take the red mage, if only to make the more obnoxious world 1 fights suck less.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oof, you're gonna want at least low 40s for a realistic chance at success. The good news is, since you already know you have chemist, you can kill two birds with one stone and stock up on drug money and turtle shells at the same time.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

They've got Mime, Rugwizard isn't negotiable, plus that team really wants Artemis Bow to burn down Almagest. They should probably still farm the power staff tho.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Also, while you probably only need a couple more levels at most, you're gonna want to grind out 2 handed on everyone immediately or Byblos is going to be a real bad time.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Holy poo poo, why won't these fans drop any goddamn dark bows? I've already gained 4 levels in the ruins, snagged a tiara in case I need it, and grabbed like half a dozen elixirs off the very same fans.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

Holy poo poo, why won't these fans drop any goddamn dark bows? I've already gained 4 levels in the ruins, snagged a tiara in case I need it, and grabbed like half a dozen elixirs off the very same fans.

Update: Apparently the game knew what it was doing, because my earth job ended up being Blue Mage, and I would have had to grind up to 25 anyway to grab Level 5 Death before leaving world 1.

Also, the tried and true strategy of "complain on the internet" worked like a charm; I got a bow drop within something like ten encounters after making that post.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Fixed this (and the Omniscient tip telling you that you can !Mimic an Elixir for the same reason) - thanks!

Another thing I caught: the Manticore tips mention the killer bow, which uh, isn't available at that point.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Maybe put something about it in the ruins section too, in that case.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

HamSmoothie posted:

I've finally got a chance to play through FFV for the first time, so why not make it weirdly entertaining with a Fiesta?

I'm just doing a regular run, I got Knight for my first job, and I've just rolled Time Mage for my second. Everyone's sitting at level 10 with 2 levels in Knight. I'm thinking of going 2 and 2 for awhile and grinding up some job levels before dealing with job 3. Is that the smart move here or should I consider moving on to the next job as quickly as possible?

It's not really ever worth going out of your way to grind job levels in world 1 unless there's a specific ability you need to get past a problem boss. You might want to grind gil for a bit though, to stock up on rods for your time mages to break. The dogs in the forest near the next town are a prime moneymaking source, and conveniently that town is also where rods are sold.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Artemis Bow is good specifically for NED if you don't have an easy solution for Almagest; it deals effective damage to that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

First run done: Thief/Ranger/Knight/Blue Mage, and I've got so many fuckin' toxxes to turn in!

Bufuman posted:

Oh, that reminds me that I had an idea for a toxx myself.

It's time for :smugwizard: Magical Bufu's Magical :toxx:

* The condition for this one is simple: Obtain every magic spell in one run. White, Black, Time, Blue, Summons, and Songs. Dark Arts are exempt, but if you're a masochist you're welcome to go for it.
* The classes required to actually USE the spells are not mandatory, but obviously Blue Magic will require a Blue Mage or a randomizer run with Learning.
* Donation amount is $5 for every run with all spells, up to a limit of $100. (I wanted it to be more, but I have more bills to pay than I did in previous years thanks to Real Life Bullshit)
* Proof requested: Ideally shots of your magic screens, but for simplicity's sake I'll accept a shot of just the Time magic list to cover White and Black too (since you need to get their final spells to get access to Meteor). For most lists with multiple pages (White/Black/Time just barely require two pages in certain versions IIRC), I'll go by the honor system and accept single shots at the bottom of the list. Blue Magic will require shots of all pages though.

(Yes, I know the spellblade page is completely redundant.)

apophenium posted:

I'm excited about this Fiesta!!! I registered for a Pure Chaos Risk run. My first risk!

I also want to do a :toxx: challenge:

I'll donate $2 for every victory with Bartz named ACAB, BLM, George, or any related name, up to $100. Let's have fun and help people!

No idea if this has filled up already, but in case it hasn't:

Kyrosiris posted:

I am also reprising mine from last year. As follows:

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS, AGAIN :black101:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.

Additionally, I will also donate $1 per relevant name that completes a run, per apophenium's toxx, up to a maximum of $50.

I forgot to actually get a screenshot of both of them in my inventory at the same time, but here's me in the menu equipping the one from Shinryu:

And here's me stealing and equipping NED's:

Mustached Demon posted:

Thought about it and I think the Great Sea Trench would be better. Seems more useless if you don't have a time mage or geomancer to make it less annoying. Monk is ok because they need help.

So! Post a pic of you beating the triple goblin jerks to get credit.

All Pigs Are Bastards

Azza Bamboo posted:

:toxx: I want to see some SURGICAL BOSS KILLS

What is a surgical boss kill? It's when you can show me video footage of a boss being killed by a 1hp damage attack. That way I know you've killed them for the exact amount of HP they have and no more.

I will donate $2.50 for every time someone ITT shows me any one boss on this list being surgically killed.

Melusine
Omniscient
Leviathan
Catastrophe
Twintania
Neo Exdeath

However, each boss on this list can only be claimed three times. e.g. once I've seen three surgical Melusine kills, I'll stop paying out for surgical Melusine kills.

Finally, the first person to get a surgical triple crown - surgically killing NED, Shinryu and Omega, will see me drop $25 into the pot.

:toxx:

p.s. I'm not a huge mathematics nerd or someone who understands the game mechanics very well. I am not certain if it is possible to surgically kill each of these bosses.

It's not video, but hopefully this series of screenshots is unambiguous enough to suffice:

berenzen posted:

I have a little bit of expendable cash, so I think I'll make a :toxx: of my own.

I will pay $10 per superboss (to a max of $50 for each, $100 total) for anyone that beats them "legitimately". That means no quickleaking/!calm/!sing/chemist berserking omega, and no berserking/quickleaking shinryu. Basically, fight the superbosses without breaking their script in some way.

It's hard to capture, if you are running bard/beastmaster/time/etc. I'll still accept submissions, just use the honor system.

Blue Mage is great for providing enough sandbagging power to do this at sane levels. Extra shots of Shinryu performing various attacks included to demonstrate his lack of berserk: