Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Roosevelt posted:

filthy creatures. suppurating and feathered bags of meat that fly above us
"i will discover the anti-bird equation"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i really liked video games for a long time but i think i don't like them anymore. i dunno, i don't get a lot of fun out of playing stuff these days except for a few vr titles, maybe. everybody gushes about botw but i thought it was super boring. i would probably play a mario if i had a switch, i guess?

games are super popular so i blame me but idk

I'm depressed too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I'm depressed too

sure but i mean i still like some other things, it feels like games specifically no longer interest me.

now is this a sign of just being unable to deal what is effectively voluntary additional cognitive burden idk maybe but

i don’t really have a point here, i just think it’s weird considering how many james i have spent time with

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

try playing just the game of the year contenders or something to keep it interesting? there are so many games out there that are technically good but kind of forgettable in hindsight.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t have any advice for you except to say that I am sorry you didn’t enjoy botw.

it’s so, so good, but if it doesn’t click for you it doesn’t click

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i definitely see where you’re coming from, during grad school i played way fewer games, like every game that came out just didn’t do it for me so there were only like a handful of games i played over several years.

you can definitely have a change of taste in terms of what you want to spend your free time on, and for me ive gone in and out of being interested in games occupying a big slice of that time.

at some level i think it’s just like a barrier, you’ve got to get through enough to become invested and then it’s more interesting to finish. but the height of that barrier changes depending on your surroundings and where you are in your life i guess.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/PlayStationCA/status/1366756405416521731

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i didn’t really like botw until around when i got a horse and rode it to hateno village, something really clicked around that point. that’s also when i switched my hearts over to stamina bars which probably is the single best thing to make exploration more fun

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

i didn’t really like botw until around when i got a horse and rode it to hateno village, something really clicked around that point. that’s also when i switched my hearts over to stamina bars which probably is the single best thing to make exploration more fun

You generally want more stamina at the start of the game since you can fortify your hearts with cooking. I generally shoot for about 3-4 bars of stamina before I start investing in HP.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah, also some of the armour sets are not too difficult to upgrade

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I generally max out my stamina first then put the :orb: into hearts after that

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
if you're feeling done with games maybe you just need to switch into shorter games. not everything needs to be 10-15+ hours long

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
speaking of which mini metro is really neat and charming

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Majora's Mask in BOTW looks real good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'm a baby and gave nintendo money so I could look like tingle in the game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

jesus WEP posted:

yeah, also some of the armour sets are not too difficult to upgrade

upgrading your armour is the secret to breaking combat, enemies can't kill you if they only do a quarter heart of damage

plus the set bonuses are real good too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tingle is literally my least favourite thing about zelda. i honestly despise him

i think one issue is that games just feel like work lately. none of my current peer group is really into jameses so it’s not something i would share or chat about and definitely not play together.

i do try and pick up cool looking indie titles from time to time because i feel like that’s where the best innovations are found. a lot of these aaa titles really bore me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

also available for free in march: the final fantasy 7 remake, despite being less than a year old

guess I finally play it, which should be fun seeing as I never played the original and know very little about it beyond "aeris dies"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Improbable Lobster posted:

upgrading your armour is the secret to breaking combat, enemies can't kill you if they only do a quarter heart of damage

plus the set bonuses are real good too

The barbarian armor will give you a significant damage boost, or if you have the DLC the phantom train armor is excellent.

Combat gets stupidly easily if you learn all the mechanics they teach you early in the game. Then you get to have a lot of fun fighting all the bigger monsters in the game.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mediaphage posted:

tingle is literally my least favourite thing about zelda. i honestly despise him

i think one issue is that games just feel like work lately. none of my current peer group is really into jameses so it’s not something i would share or chat about and definitely not play together.

i do try and pick up cool looking indie titles from time to time because i feel like that’s where the best innovations are found. a lot of these aaa titles really bore me

same. don't feel bad about not liking most of what's out there nowadays. you're allowed to not like things

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

haveblue posted:

also available for free in march: the final fantasy 7 remake, despite being less than a year old

guess I finally play it, which should be fun seeing as I never played the original and know very little about it beyond "aeris dies"

That's a PS+ thing iirc, they're just giving away R&C even if you don't have PS+.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im kind of in the same boat as mediaphage - most games just aren't for me. what i've found to help is:

1. play with a guide if you want. little jones and i are playing through majora's mask, and if we get stuck for more than a few minutes we check the guide. sometimes, we Should Have Figured It Out. but other times, it's obtuse game design or we missed something someone said or whatever, and it's much better to just get pointed in the right direction. we're in it for the time we spend together and the zelda-based conversations after, not figuring out on our own that we can put a deku princess in a bottle (_what?_)

2. stop playing games when they aren't fun any more. if you really care about the story, youtube has cutscenes. don't force yourself to finish a game just for the sake of finishing it or getting a trophy or whatever. i love slay the spire, but i don't see myself going back to it any time soon. same with dead cells (went through once), hades (never escaped, but might go back with assist mode on), tangledeep (only got 15 or so floors in iirc), hollow knight (couldn't beat the big fallen mantis guy). but i had fun with them, and that's enough.

3. play "non-gamer" games. i've been spending more time with video games lately purely because i've been playing picross on the switch. games that you can play for 30 minutes are way better than games where you have to play for a couple hours at a chunk. handhelds like the switch are great for this cause you can just mash the home button to suspend whatever you're doing, even if it's not a proper save point or whatever. i think ps4/5 can do this sort of thing too, sort of, but it seems more error-prone to me (esp on ps5, where mashing the home button brings up an overlay but doesn't necessarily suspend the game)

it also helps if you have kids and get to see the absolute wonder in their eyes when something happens. i basically dont play action/fighting type games because I don't want little jones exposed to that. even games i'm really excited for like red dead redemption 2, i haven't played because, jeeze, that poo poo's just so _heavy_, I don't have the energy to deal with that right now. so it's tetris, zelda, and shmups from the 90s

or maybe just you really truly dont like games at all any more, which is fine too of course. but it sounds to me like youre just trying to play the AAA behemoths that aren't really as convenient for people with, like, commitments and responsibilities and stuff

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

slay the spire is 3/4 good but the robot is a fucker and not fun at all, imo

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

drat the robot is my favorite. :orb:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

lol that's funny bc the robot is the one that i like the best by a huge margin, and i stopped playing when i got kind of bored with him. the kung fu lady had a lot of promise but never clicked, and the knight dude and assassin lady were kinda boring imo. but the robot struck just the right balance for me

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The wanderer is easily one of the most broken classes in sts. You have so many free/cheap cards that get better with the stance changes.

If you want to get better at sts i'd recommend watching jorbs who is one of the best players at the game. He has a very monotonous voice and dry sense of humor though so be warned.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JoINrbs
https://www.twitch.tv/jorbs

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm a baby and gave nintendo money so I could look like tingle in the game.

zelda looking like "why are you making me wear this"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

can you get the biggoron sword in botw?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i appreciate the link, but im not really invested in getting better or anything. im sure if i played her more and unlocked stuff i'd get there, but in keeping with "play something else when you're done with it," i'm happy moving on. i think it's an issue of her not being that interesting/fun until i unlock more cards, but getting there is kinda boring

besides these picrosses aren't gonna solve themselves!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Achmed Jones posted:

... put a deku princess in a bottle (_what?_)

lol i totally forgot about this

i think i figured it out because she explicitly says 'ISNT THERE ANYTHING YOU CAN PUT ME IN!?' and it brings up the item select prompt so i guess i just shrugged as a kid and stuffed her in there without thinking too much about it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lol i totally forgot about this

i think i figured it out because she explicitly says 'ISNT THERE ANYTHING YOU CAN PUT ME IN!?' and it brings up the item select prompt so i guess i just shrugged as a kid and stuffed her in there without thinking too much about it

yeah i think we actually did something similar rather than actually looking at the guide for that one. i definitely forgot about saving her though - id tried to open the vines with deku links attack and maybe with fire, but forgot i had a sword to cut it. the guide told us "go save the princess dummy" lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Roosevelt posted:

can you get the biggoron sword in botw?

technically yes, but only with a certain amiibo

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i walked away from games for like a decade. its ok to be over it. ive been back since covid but i generally only like playing games for an hour or two at a time. ive enjoyed stuff like cities skylines and civ for gently caress around games. i enjoy being able to stop whenever.

im shocked im into valheim honestly. ive been playing a bunch of fifa as my quick game recently but my friend group got super into it so ive been playing that a lot.

i get annoyed by rpgs now. casual csgo is fun too but lol im not sitting an hour for a full ranked match

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
newvegasposting again

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Casual Encountess posted:

i walked away from games for like a decade. its ok to be over it. ive been back since covid but i generally only like playing games for an hour or two at a time. ive enjoyed stuff like cities skylines and civ for gently caress around games. i enjoy being able to stop whenever.

im shocked im into valheim honestly. ive been playing a bunch of fifa as my quick game recently but my friend group got super into it so ive been playing that a lot.

i get annoyed by rpgs now. casual csgo is fun too but lol im not sitting an hour for a full ranked match

My kingdom for casual 5v5s in CSGO. None of the maps were designed for 10 v 10 and feel awful when you play them.

That said I mostly just play deathmatch whenever I play csgo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Casual Encountess posted:

there's a very precise formula for how long it takes me to get bored of fifa or any sports game, and it's # games played in the demo before buying + 2

so i don't buy sports games any more

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

every 5 years or so i go hard into sports games for about three months. then im over them forever until the next one.

the pro move for me was to buy the 8 dollar sports games at gamestop when the mood struck but not so much these days. i paid a dollar for a month of ea play and like 30 hours of fifa and madden is worth a dollar to me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ea sports franchise from 2 years ago is prety much the cheapest game you'll ever pick up second hand lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the last sports game i truly enjoyed was nba jam in the church basement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
ace combat 7 is coming to ps now tomorrow. hell yeah