Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

also just bought yakuza 0 for cheap as heck. what do I need to know about yakuza games?

if a sidequest is boring don't do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Skyrim is great for simulating 10000 wheels of cheese rolling down a hill.

is this dlc or something?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

President Beep posted:

is this dlc or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_QALYYUywM

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Been playing Hollow Knight after it sat in my steam inventory unplayed for god knows how long. I like it a lot. It's very chill.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hollow knight is extremely good

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

shoeberto posted:

Been playing Hollow Knight after it sat in my steam inventory unplayed for god knows how long. I like it a lot. It's very chill.

jesus WEP posted:

yup. it’s really hard to overstate how far it exceeded my expectations going into it. i expected a nice little indie platformer. what i got was a fantastic epic that surpasses most triple a titles

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I bought pathfinder kingmaker through the steam sale, and a couple of switch games that were on sale. Excited to spend the upcoming months playing old games.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Welcome to Factory Forklyft Feuklers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
heck yeah. i just started a new factory last night cause the .5 update just hit the early access branch. played till like 3am. i need to get tickets and stuff for all those cool new pieces.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yup. it’s really hard to overstate how far it exceeded my expectations going into it. i expected a nice little indie platformer. what i got was a fantastic epic that surpasses most triple a titles

drat, ok, I've heard high praise but my expectations have been pretty much where you started. That's exciting.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i'm gonna gush about it for a bit without spoiling anything. everything about it is polished to a mirror shine. the art direction is absolutely incredible. all the levels are beautiful and memorable with the music to back it up. the controls are tight and the combat and game mechanics evolve so organically you mostly don't even notice until you start a new game. the metroidvania aspects of it are perfectly done as well, as every person i talked to who played it took a totally different path from everyone else and everyone figured their way was the "correct" order.

it's just so so so well done. i've been excited for the sequel but i'm not letting myself get annoyed by their delays because i know it means they're not releasing it until they have something that will be just as good.

not really a spoiler but i'm gonna put it behind a spoiler because i think it's best to have this realization on your own: the world is so god damned big as well. i expected it to maybe have four to six 'areas' because hey it's an indie platformer they only have so much resources, right? wrong. the map just. keeps. going. and every new area has just as much care and attention put into it as all the ones before it

this game is just about the best example of how much having great art direction vs. just good enough can add to the overall experience. it's so engrossing

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i just realised this whole time I thought Hollow Knight was Shovel Knight, which I had also wrongly thought was a Terraria knockoff.

Gonna have to give it a look I think...

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 28, 2021

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

The music is crazy for how good it is too

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
hollow knight is utterly amazing.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hollow knight is really, really good and the fact that they patched the game to make the evil mantis lord guy hit twice as hard (and i wanna say have more hp too? dont remember) really sucks, 'cause i couldn't beat him even though i really enjoyed the rest of the game. i was frustrated, but when i found out that they just did a "gently caress you, now he's really hard" patch i kinda lost the will to play

i guess there's a cheese strategy that'd take care of him but gently caress that

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
they also added a new attack for him

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

also just bought yakuza 0 for cheap as heck. what do I need to know about yakuza games?

also also, if you’d like to buy yakuza 0 for cheap as heck

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1463578712553709568?s=21

The Y0 intro song absolutely slaps and you should listen to it

The story will swing from ultra serious to campy melodrama and back at the drop of a hat. Just go with it.

Unless you're actually in a timed mission, ignore when the game tells you to go somewhere right now and go explore instead.

Also I came this close to bouncing off Y0 a couple of hours in because I thought the combat was dull, and then I unlocked beast style and just immediately ended a dude with a bicycle and have been hooked ever since

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

im back into dead cells which remains good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im playing hey that's my fish with little jones

well, we were playing it. now we set up the board to make islands and hot tubs for the penguins

the board book is a nice warm fire and the pencil is a "fire tunnel"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this is also a board game thread now :getin:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

ok, you've all convinced me, I got hollow knight

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Achmed Jones posted:

this is also a board game thread now :getin:

heck yeah. suits me.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I like board games but I suck really bad at them until I've played the game multiple times. Meanwhile my wife is a wizard that can win a game the first time she plays it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sweevo posted:

i just realised this whole time I though Hollow Knight was Shovel Knight, which I had also wrongly thought was a Terraria knockoff.

Gonna have to give it a look I think...

lol same until I read your post

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
just bought yakuza zero and am waiting for it to install so i can finally get on the yakuza bandwagon

in the meantime i'm listening to metal and thinking about rewatching 'deathgasm'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsGLW100HZg

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

most if not all of the yakuza games are on game pass

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
does monkey ball share the yakuza universe or what

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
nintendo put kiryu in mario kart

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Truman Peyote posted:

get ready to :getgud:

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 28, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Truman Peyote posted:

to you and anyone else who's thinking about getting into this: please. PLEASE. go in as blind as possible. there's tons of small subversions of expectations and flourishes that should be experienced without knowing what's coming. trust me on this

if you haven't played the game PLEASE DO NOT READ THE BELOW SPOILERS!

the fakeout death the soul master pulls on you where you think you've beaten him and are halfway through acquiring a new skill

nosk luring you into its lair with a mirror copy of you that most people think is a graphical glitch

realizing halfway through the "final" boss fight that its trying to kill itself just as much as you are

CHALLENGING THE MANTIS LORDS TO A FIGHT

CHALLENGING THE loving SUN TO A FIGHT

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 28, 2021

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

jesus WEP posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

is it tho? is it really??

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

you ever think about that? no. didn’t think so.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

nintendo put kiryu in mario kart

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
how long should i play hollow knight before i decide it is not for me?

it seems pretty punishing so far or im really bad at it and it doesnt seem like there's a clear path to it getting more fun

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

President Beep posted:

you ever think about that? no. didn’t think so.
you should buy it op

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there's a sword upgrade guy in the southeast village who's weirdly hard to find for something so important. if a reduction in hits needed per kill doesn't make it bearable, it's probably not for you

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Corla Plankun posted:

how long should i play hollow knight before i decide it is not for me?

it seems pretty punishing so far or im really bad at it and it doesnt seem like there's a clear path to it getting more fun

i would say after your second boss fight.

i feel like the early game is really hard but once you get a feel for it, it flows really well. i bounced off it once really early and then ended up trying again a year or two later and it became one of my favorites of all time.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah it’s similar to dark souls in that respect. the combat is really punishing at first but once it ‘clicks’ you’re basically set for the rest of the game. second boss is probably a decent recommendation.

also :getgud:

e: also also get used to there not being a ‘clear path’. it’s a metroidvania game so the entire point exploring and being rewarded with combat/mobility upgrades

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

It felt a lot like 2D dark souls early on, but I really love dark souls, so it was kind of appealing. Not that I'm like a hardcore "gently caress yeah kick my rear end daddy dark souls" type gamer but I got the impression that it's a similar type of curve, which works for me.