Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
ohhh man i got a double jump. poo poo just got real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my black mage is 45 and poo poo's starting to get real. i unironically love this game wow

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Kenny Logins posted:

ohhh man i got a double jump. poo poo just got real

That's when it REALLY clicked for me too. Glad you're having a good time!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

my black mage is 45 and poo poo's starting to get real. i unironically love this game wow

it is genuinely such a good game

it keeps getting better and better too

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

it is genuinely such a good game

it keeps getting better and better too

all the writing before heavensward is pretty weak due to them essentially being in triage mode trying to reboot the game after its awful initial launch. after that tho... :getin:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
one thing that's neat with FFXIV is that the calamity that destroyed the world is actually an in-game explanation for the game's reboot back in 2012. they actually did this as an in-game event before turning the pre reboot version servers off

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

was that the dragon destroying the world thing

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
yeah

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

MrQueasy posted:

That's when it REALLY clicked for me too. Glad you're having a good time!
yeah i've turned the page from "don't get the hype, too slow-paced". it's pretty good. it does help to now have like 5 different markers to color-code currently impassable areas

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah i've turned the page from "don't get the hype, too slow-paced". it's pretty good. it does help to now have like 5 different markers to color-code currently impassable areas

I picked this up recently and have been enjoying it. I don't think I'm as far as you but all the map markers were the first things I bought and that has really paid off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it is never too late to stop playing this dumpster fire of a racist hellgame

e: evidently its fake but leaving it up because i am no coward

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

"haha yeah, fake!" @amazongames posts to twitter as techs frantically shovel dead disks into a bin

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

it is never too late to stop playing this dumpster fire of a racist hellgame

e: evidently its fake but leaving it up because i am no coward

lol

i don't remember what game it was but there was an mmo where the russian version accidentally got completely wiped because the company running it there wasn't bothering to do proper backups and lost all user data in a crash

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Kenny Logins posted:

Asleep Style posted:

I picked this up recently and have been enjoying it. I don't think I'm as far as you but all the map markers were the first things I bought and that has really paid off

I never used the map markers :shrug: I don't know if this hurt or helped me. It may have contributed to my first abandonment of the game, but I think I wasn't using benches enough and my death run back to bosses was longer than necessary. On the playthru I stuck with, I didn't feel that the reset-time to get back to a boss was too bad. So maybe I just unconsciously got better at picking where to respawn from.

Though I must say the most satisfying thing that kept me playing was that on the second run, nail bouncing just clicked for me. (using the knockback from hitting something below you for more airtime).

Also never got the hang of parrying... the timing never felt right.

I tended to run a mage build. Every time I focused on tanking/healing I felt like I just made even less good decisions about how I approached the bosses. YMMV obviously: I've seen other people absolutely wreck house with tank builds...

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i don't know from builds but i like having the two charms that extend your nail's reach on, plus whatever else. it's deffo more fun when you unlock more of them to tweak your experience to your taste, and when getting around isn't so painstaking/tedious

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Jonny 290 posted:

When you finish 2.54 and start Heavensward, (and the next expansions, etc) be sure to watch the opening trailers from the title screen for them! They aren't shown in game when you complete the specific expansion.

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
Finished Endwalker. They stuck the landing perfectly. This has dethroned all other games for me now and taken the top spot. I've never played something that's got me weepy or shaking in joy at least a dozen times.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i really like the combat in hollow knight and its neat when a certain boss fight clicks, the mantis lords were a lot of fun

but for some reason i just do not seem to be compatible with how to fight the broken vessel, i just kept repeatedly doing exactly the wrong thing, dashing into it, reacting the opposite of how i should to what it was about to do

i did beat it without too much difficulty or repeated attempts but have so far failed repeatdly at the dream version, lost kin

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

idk what it is about those goddamn Halo trailers but they get me extremely hyped despite not having played a halo since uhhh 4 I think? What was the one with the orange robots that was mediocre?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Lysidas posted:

i really like the combat in hollow knight and its neat when a certain boss fight clicks, the mantis lords were a lot of fun

but for some reason i just do not seem to be compatible with how to fight the broken vessel, i just kept repeatedly doing exactly the wrong thing, dashing into it, reacting the opposite of how i should to what it was about to do

i did beat it without too much difficulty or repeated attempts but have so far failed repeatdly at the dream version, lost kin

Keep your distance, prioritize clearing the summons, and commit the length of his dash to muscle memory so you can whop him as he passes under you and then land 2-3 hits when he stops. ALSO: Do not heal unless he is stunned. It looks like you have time, but you don't.

Dangit, I've become the kind of advice giver I hate in boss battle games... the guy who just says "don't be greedy, don't get hit"

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
today i clicked on the campaign button in the new halo only to find that the campaign isn't out yet and the campaign button just goes to a preorder button for the campaign

i can not believe how bad gaming has gotten. this piece of poo poo already has in app purchases. jfc.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Corla Plankun posted:

i can not believe how bad gaming has gotten. this piece of poo poo already has in app purchases. jfc.
reminder:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FalseNegative posted:

Finished Endwalker. They stuck the landing perfectly. This has dethroned all other games for me now and taken the top spot. I've never played something that's got me weepy or shaking in joy at least a dozen times.

i'd play ffxiv if ut wasn't an mmo, maybe

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
afaik you can play the entire game without interacting with another human being on a meaningful level. I don't even consider it an MMO really

like yeah you gotta do group raids to kill big mobs but the game finds randos for you and u arent forced to join a guild or log on monday night for company raid night or w/e

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

you can play the entire game without interacting with another human being on a meaningful level. I don't even consider it an MMO really

the problem is that my internet is bad and would not be able to consistently play it due to slow speed and a small data cap

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I beat yakuza 1-6 and 0 and now I'm playing Death Stranding

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Improbable Lobster posted:

the problem is that my internet is bad and would not be able to consistently play it due to slow speed and a small data cap

yeah, i understand that

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's good it's like kojima's STALKER

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Noice, i gotta get back into it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SmokaDustbowl posted:

There is something so satisfying about playing death stranding. It's been one of the few games where I have lost track of time playing.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There is something so satisfying about playing death stranding. It's been one of the few games where I have lost track of time playing.

it's really good

it's like a mix of STALKER and euro truck 2

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
PC death stranding is really tough on your processor so it's kinda pushing it on my computer

lowest settings so I can get that 60fps lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jonny 290 posted:

afaik you can play the entire game without interacting with another human being on a meaningful level. I don't even consider it an MMO really

like yeah you gotta do group raids to kill big mobs but the game finds randos for you and u arent forced to join a guild or log on monday night for company raid night or w/e

destiny 2 needs to learn this

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

MrQueasy posted:

Dangit, I've become the kind of advice giver I hate in boss battle games... the guy who just says "don't be greedy, don't get hit"

nah that was great, thanks, i did start to figure most of that out for the main fight and through a bunch of iterations of the dream one, i have mostly recalibrated myself to handle the boss but i still every once in a while dash into the boss rather than the other way around

i mostly just find it funny since everything else in the game has clicked really well, its just the mechanics of one boss (so far, hmm) that i just find completely unnatural for me in terms of combat style for some reason

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

death strandings actual gameplay is really good but the cutscene to gameplay ratio is like 5:1

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

death strandings actual gameplay is really good but the cutscene to gameplay ratio is like 5:1

lol it's like the fairy in the zelda game

SAM!
SAM!

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i wonder how well death standing will work for me under proton, i might have to find out

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if you ever wanted to play silent hill mixed with snowrunner, just play death stranding

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
god dammit. the aws outage has rendered my switch unusable :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

starting in shadowbringers you can do the story instances with the story NPCs too so you can almost completely excise pubbies from your mmo experience