Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

didn't someone say horizon zero dawn was going to be one of the ps+ james?

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cat Face Joe posted:

didn't someone say horizon zero dawn was going to be one of the ps+ james?

:bsdsnype:
april 19 for complete edition via days of play promo yeah

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i'm playing a bit of enter the gungeon currently, it's decent but i wish they explained the synergies better because they are a fun idea

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
id be tempted to pick up horizon zero dawn, but im seeing mixed things about it on protondb

there are games rated super good (doom eternal was one) that just didnt work at all for me, but i see a proton version 6.3 in steam now, so i might roll the dice and return it if it doesnt work

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

i'm playing a bit of enter the gungeon currently, it's decent but i wish they explained the synergies better because they are a fun idea

The nintendo gun that shoots a duck is my favorite. That game is punishing but fair once you get the hang of dodge rolling.
Play BroForce next.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Target Track Jacket posted:

The nintendo gun that shoots a duck is my favorite. That game is punishing but fair once you get the hang of dodge rolling.
Play BroForce next.
so far the best gun has been the ant gun with a fire ring synergy that made it a queen that shot flaming ant rockets

i've already played broforce through sp on normal
and hard lol. that was a fun time even if i never got the highlander bro powered up even once

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I haven't played a single jame since late last year, I go through boom & bust moods. Two questions:

* All the Fallout4 LPs I've watched over the latest lockdown have got me feeling like some more Vault Tec fun - I know FO76 was a shitshow when it launched, has it been redeemed enough to want to play through the main story as single-playerishly as possible?

it's perfectly fine to ignore other players and, depending on timing and if you do or avoid events, you'll probably only encounter them in passing

they patched in human npcs and a living world story so it's more inhabited and they've made quite a bit of qol changes. not just for the buggy game, but the ui of the pip-boy so it works better for inventory and in a real-time game

there's also level-matched enemies so you don't get bored in lowbie areas. it probably won't matter for the first 50 levels, but it helps avoid the outright god mode fo4 gets when you start capping skills

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

* I see Horizon Zero Dawn is 40% off all this week on Steam, it as good as the pretty graphics make out? I like a good open-world.
it's about as ubisoft-style open world as you can get in terms of gameplay as is possible (despite not being an ubisoft game), but it's *really good* at it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Endless Mike posted:

it's about as ubisoft-style open world as you can get in terms of gameplay as is possible (despite not being an ubisoft game), but it's *really good* at it.

That's a good rec, I like a lot of the Ubi game mechanics now they have iterated away a bunch of rough edges; rear end Creed Origins and Odyssey were both a lot of fun game loops (even though I abruptly ran out of game-gas somewhere in the middle of the first Fate of Atlantis mission map, sorry Cass). Far Cry 5 was also a lot better that I was expecting, and I'll buy 6 when it lands on the strength of it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah hzd is, while extremely good, a textbook example of the standard open world rpg formula. the art is great, the story is partly great, the robot fighting is really good, but the whole structure is pretty basic. there are even towers to climb to reveal the map (which are also robots)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 1, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

how in the gently caress is my 1080ti still worth 700-800 dollars on ebay

that seems cool until you check the prices of the cards that would be an upgrade for the 1080ti

:smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Target Track Jacket posted:

Play BroForce next.

this guy loving gets it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
whoops i forgot that they'll be giving away horizon 0 dawn on ps for free. I just bit on the steam sale. oh well - maybe my gamer dollars will help convince more console developers to release their poo poo on pc

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Far Cry 5 was also a lot better that I was expecting, and I'll buy 6 when it lands on the strength of it.
new dawn was a lot of fun imo

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kenny Logins posted:

new dawn was a lot of fun imo

lol I didn't even consider you could spare the remaining not-dead sister after the penultimate battle, I would love to see the dev dashboard telemetry for that choice.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I didn't even consider you could spare the remaining not-dead sister after the penultimate battle, I would love to see the dev dashboard telemetry for that choice.
huh. me neither

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

thats crazy. i absolutely lucked into buying this thing just before the entire market lost its goddamn mind apparently. i almost feel like someone who cares more should own this thing. i only turn my gaming pc on like once a week tops.

you wanna swap with my 1070 be my guest!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i want to gloat about how console gaming doesn't run into the stupid can't find a video card bullshit, but can't find a ps5 bullshit isn't really much better

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I haven't played a single jame since late last year, I go through boom & bust moods. Two questions:

* All the Fallout4 LPs I've watched over the latest lockdown have got me feeling like some more Vault Tec fun - I know FO76 was a shitshow when it launched, has it been redeemed enough to want to play through the main story as single-playerishly as possible?

* I see Horizon Zero Dawn is 40% off all this week on Steam, it as good as the pretty graphics make out? I like a good open-world.

Also if you never got round to Witcher 3, the GOTY all DLC version is currently 80% off which is as cheap as I have ever seen it, that's a lot of game for the money.

Have you played death stranding yet? that's the open world game to get imo

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

Achmed Jones posted:

i want to gloat about how console gaming doesn't run into the stupid can't find a video card bullshit, but can't find a ps5 bullshit isn't really much better

i wanted to say something about the switch but i'm 110% sure that whenever they release a new switch the same bullshit is going to happen

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
also i've been playing hades a lot, it's real good imo

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fatal Error posted:

i wanted to say something about the switch but i'm 110% sure that whenever they release a new switch the same bullshit is going to happen

maybe this time Nintendo will allow for use of Bluetooth headphones

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

Boiled Water posted:

maybe this time Nintendo will allow for use of Bluetooth headphones
well now this is just pure fantasy.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Fatal Error posted:

also i've been playing hades a lot, it's real good imo

it really is the perfect roguelike

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

actually thinking about double dipping on hades

have it on PC, thinking about switch

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i have the switch version, it gets kinda choppy when there's more particle effects and poo poo on screen. other than that it's good.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

im gonna be honest im having a blast playing the street mode in fifa 20

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Subnautica spoilers

Being able to swim with the big girl is a really nice touch.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

it really is the perfect roguelike

you misspelled nethack

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

TimWinter posted:

Subnautica spoilers

Being able to swim with the big girl is a really nice touch.
i finally got around to playing subnautica. effed around for an hour or two, then restarted and my "reroll" was so lucky with resources i surpassed my progress inside of 20 mins

it's growing on me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had that happen too. the game i'm on now is way more fun than that first game. i think that fact probably swamps the part where this game doesn't have hunger or thirst (but it's still nice not having those)

sucks that bad rolls like that are possible though tbh

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what are these bad rolls? i didn’t think there was any procedural generation

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i think the first time i played i had a huge problem finding diamond or nickel or something. but the second time i found so much i couldn't get rid of it fast enough. maybe i was just in the wrong places idk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

the resource placement is slightly randomized within biomes. e.g. you will always find some large copper deposits within the mushroom forest, but their placement and exact number is different from game to game.

personally i think it's important to keep hunger and thirst on because otherwise there's no real reason to build a base beyond a moonpool full of lockers. and it's not that hard anyway, a couple growbeds full of marblemelons and chinese potatoes are enough to keep you going indefinitely

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

on my current game the underneath of my survival pod can see the kelp forest and a wreck where you can scan for beacon parts etc. also some undersea
caves very close to it

my first game it felt like i was smack in the middle of the first biome far from everything. here it's more on the edge. makes a big difference

i am playing with no food/water meters because if they become pointless mid-game it means they're pointless all game imo. o2 is more than enough of a boundary to push against for me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the lifepod and the wrecks are always at the same location though. lol

maybe you upgraded your graphics card

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the map is static, but the spawn point of the lifepod is apparently random, but its always close to the shallows where all the ez early game stuff is

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the one gameplay decision that i really don't like in subnautica is the locker system. it only costs 2 titanium to build a locker so it's not like you ever actually run out of storage space, but each one holds so little stuff that you're always running around from place to place trying to remember which one you stuck the loving table coral samples in this time.

ideally i want minecraft-style stacks of resources but there's no mod to do that that i can find. but there is a mod that allows the fabricator to automatically pull from any locker in the base and that's a huge quality of life upgrade. just dump all your poo poo wherever and quit playing tetris

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
absolutely. maybe they could just make it so all the lockers in a given base share the same inventory and the inventory expands based on locker count. So you still have some limits on space based on resources, but you no longer have to search thru individual lockers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

the lifepod and the wrecks are always at the same location though. lol

maybe you upgraded your graphics card
i don't know if what i've seen is a wreck per se (it's more of a big white metal plate with a bunch of cargo boxes) but it wasn't there on the first run. both on ps4 fwiw