Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

(not gonna help you, just checked out of curiosity)
ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH MY POSTING HISTORY: no one can help him!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would buy a PS5, but there are literally no games I want to play on it. HTH

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

i cannot not say it like two fingahs

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Don't you want to play uhh uhhh uhhhh

gently caress

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

You can play Elden Ring without your ps4 sounding like it's going to explode.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I moved my bed to a teeny tiny bedroom, and I'm thinking of setting up a small CRT with some console to play game on all week-end. Maybe just the Xbox 360 with the Sega Mega Drive Collection, that would be months of fun. (It doesn't work on the Series X :() Just need a wireless headset because I think my good neighbour's bedroom is behind the wall.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i bought a ps5 as soon as i could because i figured they'd be hard to get and eventually there'd be a game i really wanted to play

i was right on the first part. it was theoretically nice upgrading tony hawk, subnautica, and no man's sky to ps5 versions but tbh i can't really tell the difference, except subnautica doesn't drop frames when i come out of the water any more.

my problem is that i want a really cool graphical powerhouse type game, but all the games that do that are game types that i dont really care about. i dont like most FPSes, and third person action games i'm just ehhhh on for the most part. i was really into monster hunter rise for switch, though, so maybe ill be into the next MH game that comes out for it. i played bloodborne for a while and i'm just kinda :shrug: at it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there's something to be said for commodity gaming hardware being overpowered, it makes game development a lot more accessible than it used to be.

subnautica is unoptimized and coded like absolute garbage. but that's fine because it's a good game. this good game would not have existed if it had to run on the ps2. not without a very compelling pitch deck and a first-party-exclusive collab with sony that included some experienced developers as part of the deal.

and back in 1995 if you wanted to make a 3D anything game on the PC hardware of the day then well you had to be john carmack or ken silverman or it just wasn't going to happen.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

there's something to be said for commodity gaming hardware being overpowered, it makes game development a lot more accessible than it used to be.

subnautica is unoptimized and coded like absolute garbage. but that's fine because it's a good game. this good game would not have existed if it had to run on the ps2. not without a very compelling pitch deck and a first-party-exclusive collab with sony that included some experienced developers as part of the deal.

and back in 1995 if you wanted to make a 3D anything game on the PC hardware of the day then well you had to be john carmack or ken silverman or it just wasn't going to happen.

Uhh I think you mean Moraff?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i played so much moraff's world

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sapozhnik posted:

probably helps that Sony lost their obsession with writing their own utter garbage OS every time they launched a new product

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that argument is true but LOL at suggesting that the PS2 of all platforms was exclusionary

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

newest ffxiv patch owns, and the new pvp is surprisingly fun

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im a bit after radahn in elden ring. game owns but its taking me forever

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I would like to play Horizon: Forbidden West, but not enough to buy a whole-rear end PS5 for it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I bought my ps4 for ffxv and kh3, I will buy a ps5 for the new ff game. :mrgw:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I would like to play Horizon: Forbidden West, but not enough to buy a whole-rear end PS5 for it.

so play it on ps4

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im a bit after radahn in elden ring. game owns but its taking me forever

as long as i’m enjoying it i don’t care how long it is. i’m normally someone who will quickly lose interest in a game if it can’t keep things fresh and man… i don’t feel like i’m anywhere close to that yet

i think i’m pretty much at the same point as you too. i feel like i’m about to hit a situation similar to dark souls where you think ringing the two bells and getting to lordran is the end of the game. but: ive noticed that there are a ton of greater rune slots in the inventory but i still only have one

as long as the game keeps up the pace it’s been at it could take 700 hours and i wouldn’t mind at all. whats the rush?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I bought my ps4 for ffxv and kh3, I will buy a ps5 for the new ff game. :mrgw:

I bought a PS4 for Fallout 4 and MGSV.

They're still the only discs I have for it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i just remembered several things from the beginning of the game that i skipped such as that first armored dude on the horse or the fog wall that required a key before you even begin the game

kicked all their asses lol

i also just reached the stone gargoyles in the underground city and they thoroughly kicked my rear end. so now i'm wandering around lyndell to see what i can find around there. i stumbled across the town with the dancing ladies and i may have pieced together a bit of lore on my own, for once? maybe?? idk

game still rocks

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The PS2's architecture was pretty nuts. Its preferred geometric primitive was the triangle strip, which nothing else really uses, and the "shaders" such as they were were proprietary CPU co-processor instructions that you had to program in assembly. I mean, I've never programmed for the thing but everything I've read about it makes it sound quite wacky.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sapozhnik posted:

The PS2's architecture was pretty nuts.

sega saturn: "hold my beer"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sweevo posted:

sega saturn: "hold my beer"

both came around in much the same way as well afaik, just throwing in another gpu too late into the process

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ps3: also hold this beer, and seven other different beers

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I bought a ps3 for killzone 2.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

1 was great, not sure what happened when they made 2 and 3.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I bought a ps3 for the last Guardian. lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

haveblue posted:

ps3: also hold this beer, and seven other different beers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

I bought a ps3 for the last Guardian. lol

was it good?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i bought a ps3 for the latest madden games

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i bought a ps3 for the latest madden games

About 100% of people who buy non-Ninrendo consoles buy them for the latest Fifa or NHL

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I think i’m pretty much at the same point as you too. i feel like i’m about to hit a situation similar to dark souls where you think ringing the two bells and getting to lordran is the end of the game. but: ive noticed that there are a ton of greater rune slots in the inventory but i still only have one

greater runes are weird in that you can only equip one at a time, you need to use a consumable item to get it's stated effect, and the first one you ever unlock is the best choice 95% of the time

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Finally ground my way to the end of the WATCH_DOGS:LEGION DLC Story, so that's done & uninstalled - oh hey I bought the DEATH STRANDING DIRECTORS CUT and installed it the other day, didn't I!? Well let's fire that bad boy u-

bruh :what:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i had to uninstall my old copy of death stranding to install the new one, like wtf they couldn't package it as a 'dlc' so i don't have to go through all that

1.5TB of storage and i only have like 20 games installed, it's like having a 200mb drive in a packard bell again and having to choose to sacrifice doom 2, hexen, the 7th guest, or the incredible machine all over again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im playing the directors cut (havent played the original). its really not much of a game, but i want to build roads and poo poo and do logistics. i think maybe if it had more logistics gameplay and either better combat or no combat it would be a better game. the idea of rebuilding infrastructure after a post apocalypse has great appeal to me. theres a decent idea here, mr kojima, but i dont think you really nailed it down.

the loop of explore area -> combat threats -> build outposts -> connect via supply chains -> solidify defenses -> explore new area is a good one and hopefully someone does it better.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I haven’t played it but what you describe sounds mean

base building owns. even back as far as dune 2 I’ve loved to build a base

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i too have put aside elden ring for a bit to play death stranding director's cut. it's awesome that i could just import my save from the base game into director's cut as i only finished death stranding back in february and as awesome as it was it's a bit too soon to replay in entirety. im enjoying the new content and quality-of-life improvements. bike drifting rules:

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1514593236404547585

also i had a hearty lol at the cardboard box scene in one of the new missions. classic kojima

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Finally ground my way to the end of the WATCH_DOGS:LEGION DLC Story, so that's done & uninstalled - oh hey I bought the DEATH STRANDING DIRECTORS CUT and installed it the other day, didn't I!? Well let's fire that bad boy u-

they listed that update as v1.001 a small/minor update lmao it replaced like half the game content

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

poo poo sucks. something about steam not being able to replace parts of packaged files when patching, so a 4kb change to a 4gb .PAK or whatever means you're downloading 4gb

Pile Of Garbage posted:

bike drifting rules:

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1514593236404547585

also i had a hearty lol at the cardboard box scene in one of the new missions. classic kojima

yeah the box scene was good

the trailer trike is great; combines real well with ziplines letting you take one attached floating carrier now, since the trailer & carrier can hold the same volume

have you hosed around with jump ramps yet? i've been avoiding trucks and trying not to zipline as much this playthrough (at least outside the Rockies :argh:), so i get a lot of use out of the ramps, be it on trike or on foot

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

didn't even get a proper sprint going here, and yet

https://i.imgur.com/GPqKeit.mp4

carrier tie-down highly recommended lol

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are any of the multitude of DC/Marvel superhero (movie) games - apart from Lego ones, I know they're always good - decent fun to play?

I mean other than Spider Man I guess.