Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat I was hoping for realism in game about being in purgatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Tbh Bloodborne has a similar problem because the exit from the starting area is guarded by a guy who will absolutely shred you if you try to back away from his attacks and the concept of dodging into an attack makes zero intuitive sense from a real world physical perspective.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
It was a bad day for the colony

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
u fuked up

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

RokosCockatrice posted:

rip lil kitten

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

RokosCockatrice posted:

that must have been a nasty fight

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

this kind of sounds like a broken fighting mechanism ngl

eh, just how the games are designed. it's really fun and satisfying to dodge through a big attack so you can gently caress up a boss or whatever

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
It makes more sense when you are actually playing it than when described. Like rolling past their sword arm kinda. It didn't fully click with me until I played Bloodborne though, it's practically required there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

InternetOfTwinks posted:

It makes more sense when you are actually playing it than when described. Like rolling past their sword arm kinda. It didn't fully click with me until I played Bloodborne though, it's practically required there.

yeah i always thought of it as an abstraction of like, jumping over or around the swing/attack rather than literally phasing through it

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

polyester concept posted:

no. one is a wow lifer (yeah i know) and the other pretty much only plays bethesda style rpg's including stuff like the witcher

Literally both those games use iframe dodging lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mr. Crow posted:

WoW has iframes????

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Improbable Lobster posted:

yeah i always thought of it as an abstraction of like, jumping over or around the swing/attack rather than literally phasing through it

:same:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Mr. Crow posted:

witcher only has iframes if you level up fleet footed
:goonsay:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
that skill is practically mandatory tho

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

RokosCockatrice posted:

lol :(

it'd be kinda nice to have a rimworld thread just to see the horrible scenarios that pop up but idk that's probably something for another forum and i will never ever browse to another forum

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the rimworld thread in Games is pretty much just everyone lurching from one disaster to another ad infinitum

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

you just described my entire rimworld experience

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that game sounds so incredibly not fun to play

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
add it to the list of stuff that’s way more fun to read reports from than actually play, right behind EVE, ss13, and dwarf fortress

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

psiox posted:

lol :(

it'd be kinda nice to have a rimworld thread just to see the horrible scenarios that pop up but idk that's probably something for another forum and i will never ever browse to another forum

go for it but frankly when i started this one i fully expected a gas probe and ban. i like reading about the rimworld disasters here even though i don't play it

matti
Mar 31, 2019

rimworld is accessible, try it

matti
Mar 31, 2019

sure Games posters get too into it but that does not mean its automatically poo poo

matti
Mar 31, 2019

what games would you have left then heh-heh

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

qirex posted:

that game sounds so incredibly not fun to play

as with all homicidal sandbox management sims, rimworld allows you to set the parameters for how you wish to play

and as with all homicidal sandbox management sims, the most disastrous or murderous or horrible gimmicks are the only ones that get any attention

i like rimworld a lot in no small part due to its extensive mod support

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

rimworld is fun as hell including when all of your guys are getting loving thrashed

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i beat rimworld

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I only finished rimworld once and I think I played like 300 hours of it first

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's about the journey, not the destination

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PokeJoe posted:

it's about the journey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

haveblue posted:

add it to the list of stuff that’s way more fun to read reports from than actually play, right behind EVE, ss13, and dwarf fortress

crusader kings. I wanted to like that game so bad.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

matti posted:

rimworld is accessible, try it

yeah it even has ez modes that are extremely chill without feeling like you’re cheating. one of the ai storytellers is even named phoebe chillax

i wouldnt lump it in with games like eve online at all. you can absolutely micromanage the crap out of it, but you can also just let events unfold as you define loose objectives that your pawns can choose to follow or not based on their moods

it’s definitely a game I have way more fun roleplaying in, trying to achieve weird goals I’ve set for myself

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 4, 2022

matti
Mar 31, 2019

watching a playthrough of metal gear solid 4 and forgot kojima called the gun launderer "drebin"

naked gun? thats the whole joke

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KidDynamite posted:

crusader kings. I wanted to like that game so bad.

some games are fun during the initial discovery phase and that’s it

crusaders kings was good once you entered the incest cheat code so you could create unholy mutant offsprings but that also got old quickly

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

thank you and also drat you to whoever mentioned vampire survivors. that game is like crack to my lizard brain.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

matti posted:

watching a playthrough of metal gear solid 4 and forgot kojima called the gun launderer "drebin"

naked gun? thats the whole joke

mgs4 is good

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

echinopsis posted:

some games are fun during the initial discovery phase and that’s it

this is my issue with stellaris compared to, say, starsector. it just becomes a slog after the initial prospecting for planets rush and then establishing boundaries and doing the early game wars

starsector stays interesting throughout since the management aspect of colonisation is a lot more hands off. granted, they're not the same genre

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

started deedlit in wonder labyrinth and it's exactly like a super nintendo game all the way through

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

KidDynamite posted:

thank you and also drat you to whoever mentioned vampire survivors. that game is like crack to my lizard brain.

it is so good

if you get tired of it or need something else like it, the VS thread recommended (and i enjoy) Project Lazarus on Steam

it's like VS but with mechs, and more bullet hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
RimWorld bills itself as a story generator and it's hard not to get attached to the little guys. I'm kinda down today because in a binge session last night i gave the heavy on the colony all the poo poo jobs because he was a cannibal and I didn't want to abide that bs, making him take the dangerous stuff over and over. well he kept not dying in fact he was basically the only reliable person there so after clutching several catastrophies I started to ease up, give him a little more responsibility and less poo poo, and when one of his friends died I let him sneak some long pork while no one else was looking. you know, as a treat.

after another raid where again alligator (that's his name) is mvp colony defender basically everyone is wounded or dying and I manage to stabilize al and go about saving the rest of the injured people- and.he up and loving died in the hospital bed. some mix of being too underfed and having so much blood loss, when he went from hungry to malnutrition he just loving died.

God drat it, I had plenty of food,I just.didnt know he needed it.

so the colony rebuilds without him. they say the natural state of nature is recovering from the most recent catastrophe. it feels like that. good game imo.