Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's an extremely accurate simulation of being a courier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

psiox posted:

still playing last call bbs and this poo poo owns hard

i have been playing an embarrassing amount of the default solitaire that comes with it

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
It's a kojima as gently caress game, with all that entails. I really enjoyed it, but I can see where it could be divisive.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
everyone at first was like "wait we just walk around delivering stuff?" and as it went on it became "hell yeah we walk around and deliver stuff"

i really enjoyed it, played it all the way through (never met conan obrien though, for some reason)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
obsessively completing roads ftw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i really enjoyed it, played it all the way through (never met conan obrien though, for some reason)

conan o'brien lives at the bottom of the box canyon where everyone would pile up trucks so you can't actually get to his front door

they had to patch in the ability to delete other people's trucks

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
does he? i swear i got into there.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i got bored with death stranding cause the combat was just so terrible and the rest of it wasnt as good as i wanted. i could definitely see a version of this game where its more along the lines of factorio or satisfactory where the cycle is explore -> expand -> defend -> repeat in a post apocalypse where you're reconnecting settlements.

i did get the hat from Conan though

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I feel like describing the game as "just a courier/walking simulator" game is disingenuous, even though that's the core of the game. There are a lot of other systems playing off each other which is why its a great game, I hate euro truck simulator but loved death stranding for example. There's a lot of exploration, "base" building, character progression and narrative, mystery, some classic MGS stealth / suspense, MGS style fights etc etc.

If you're even remotely interested its worth trying, like everyone says I can get why some people might be "eh" on it but it will probably surprise you with how engaging it is.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

if you like euro truck sim but wish it was set in a poltergeist blasted hell scape and also had 35 hours of cutscenes heavily featuring monster energy drink, then death stranding may be for you.

it is a good game

I'm on chapter 3 and having fun. The director's cut doesn't have Monster branded energy drinks though, just Bridger branded ones.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
no, it very definitely captures the exact and perfectly realistic experience of the life of a courier, especially the parts where you fight off angry ghosts with piss grenades

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrQueasy posted:

I'm on chapter 3 and having fun. The director's cut doesn't have Monster branded energy drinks though, just Bridger branded ones.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

it is a bad game

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
It's a walking simulator in the sense that it makes engaging gameplay out of the act of walking. Plus, it's significantly less of a focus once you move past the early game, aside from some areas near the end of the game.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

haveblue posted:

no, it very definitely captures the exact and perfectly realistic experience of the life of a courier, especially the parts where you fight off angry ghosts with piss grenades

i thought couriers were supposed to shoot irradiated scorpions with homemade rifles and blow up super mutants with shoulder mounted mini-nuke launchers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

only if you're weak, if you are strong and powerful your bodily fluids are inimical to your enemies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

pseudorandom name posted:

if you are strong and powerful your bodily fluids are inimical to your enemies

confirmed

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i bought and started playing rimworld and I can see this being a huge time sink, games good

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

if you like euro truck sim but wish it was set in a poltergeist blasted hell scape and also had 35 hours of cutscenes heavily featuring monster energy drink, then death stranding may be for you.

it is a good game

I don't like euro truck simulator but I like the concept of euro truck simulator so this sounds attractive

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Lysidas posted:

i bought and started playing rimworld and I can see this being a huge time sink, games good

condolences and welcome

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Lysidas posted:

ya it rules and the mod scene is insane

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was just reading the stuff added by sos2 and holy poo poo it is an entirely different game

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

RimWorld is the game that has it all

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i wonder what the venn diagram for "people who enjoy Death Stranding" and "people who enjoy SnowRunner" looks like - games where the traversal is the gameplay, and not just what you do to go places to have gameplay in, if that makes sense

anyway I loved Death Stranding but I generally tolerate Kojima's unique brand of bullshit, so steer clear if the game being Maximum Auteur bothers you i guess

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 18, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I liked muddy trucks more than walking sim

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

when people say walking sim i think of games like Gone Home where there's nothing actually mechanically distinct about said walks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

og doom is a walking simulator with guns

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Ciaphas posted:

og doom is a walking simulator with guns

og doomguy is breaking the land speed record, pretty sure he ain't walking anywhere

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Armitag3 posted:

og doomguy is breaking the land speed record, pretty sure he ain't walking anywhere

One foot is always on the ground, though!

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

MrQueasy posted:

One foot is always on the ground, though!

if you have to walk, make it a power walk

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Armitag3 posted:

ain't jumping anywhere, either

Armitag3 posted:

if you have to walk, make it a power walk
:hmmyes:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you have to keep balanced while walking with stuff or you fall down. doom guy never falls down

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Ciaphas posted:

Timestamped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsVWdMVYJgk&t=287s

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

death stranding but instead of Sam Porter Bridges(tm) it's doomguy carting bb around heavily-compressed America

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i am slain :negative:

(neat!)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/mcghee_nick/status/1559884845098143744?s=20&t=Y6jb1JNiNV83hN-euqU5Lg

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ciaphas posted:

with that loadout i hope not

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Armitag3 posted:

rip and tear

your ACL

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
someone uploaded a Spider-Man Remastered mod to nexus mods that replaced rainbow pride flags with standard American flags.

nexus banned the account and the mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14733

quote:

We don't want to and won't argue this with you. We've now explained our stance and we won't be providing a platform for you to distort our position in order to feed an irrational and paranoid narrative. You can do that elsewhere, where we won't care enough to read it.

I say good on ‘em.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MrQueasy posted:

someone uploaded a Spider-Man Remastered mod to nexus mods that replaced rainbow pride flags with standard American flags.

I say good on ‘em.

owns

now i won't feel bad for getting premium next time the skyrim monkey gets on my back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MrQueasy posted:

I say good on ‘em.

Very Good