Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

prey is so loving good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Game pass is so good, at least give it a shot for a month. For me it's great because it's "free" so I'm far more willing to try games I wouldn't otherwise drop £ on.

I randomly grabbed Yakuza 0 because I was curious, not expecting much, and ended up burning through it, K1 and K2 in succession.

Also you get a good hit of classic Microsoft naming. I think they fixed it but at one point it was something like Microsoft Xbox Game Pass for PC.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

MrQueasy posted:

no way man, I'm trying to finish Yakuza 0.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

see you in 4 years

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I finally got my 3070 last week and I'm having a blast playing Control with all the graphical bells & whistles turned on. Having a lot of fun with the keep running around and improvise style of combat it pushes you into.

DLSS is neat, I probably don't need it but I turned it on to try it. The only way I can catch it out is quickly turning to look at a painting, it takes a moment to render all the detail. In all honesty though that kinda works with this game so I don't even find it distracting.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

also just bought yakuza 0 for cheap as heck. what do I need to know about yakuza games?

also also, if you’d like to buy yakuza 0 for cheap as heck

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1463578712553709568?s=21

The Y0 intro song absolutely slaps and you should listen to it

The story will swing from ultra serious to campy melodrama and back at the drop of a hat. Just go with it.

Unless you're actually in a timed mission, ignore when the game tells you to go somewhere right now and go explore instead.

Also I came this close to bouncing off Y0 a couple of hours in because I thought the combat was dull, and then I unlocked beast style and just immediately ended a dude with a bicycle and have been hooked ever since

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I think I'm near the end of Control, I just got through the ashtray maze and I'm still loving it. It feels difficult in spots but not unfair, and once I unlock the right combo of mods to clear a room/challenge/mini-boss I feel like I can wipe the floor in a way that's fun rather than boring.

Also I'm still totally smitten with the setting and lore and weirdly fascinated by the Threshold Kids videos.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Armitag3 posted:

I'm gonna give Control another shot once my 3060 comes in. I fell off real hard because of the dialogue. It just sounds so stilted, so badly paced and written that I couldn't stand it.

At this point in the story I'm still not sure if that's deliberate or not. All the 'regular' people dialogue is pretty bad, and the most charismatic characters are probably Dr Darling, Ahti and fuckin Mr Bones lol

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, did some googling and decided to try kiwami 1 first, can always go for 0 if i do stall out on that. some people suggest going actually chronological, but as usual those recommendations sound like they are made by nerds who themselves had encyclopedic knowledge of the series before 0.

I'm hours late but fwiw these games love to give returning characters big dramatic scenes on the assumption that you remember them. I played, 0, K1 & K2 recently and there's several bits in 1 & 2 that don't land if you've not played 0.

There were many more things that didn't make sense even with knowledge of 0, but that's just how these games do. And going from K1 back to 0 is a pretty great increase in quality all around.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
As one of the five people who bought a Wii U my first experience of BOTW was more as an interactive slideshow than a video game

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

nudgenudgetilt posted:

x on the vertical axis or gtfo

This is the worst thing I've read all day

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

jesus WEP posted:

when i upgraded from a 1070 to a 3080 the first thing i did was see how well new vegas could run now with a billion mods installed

many many frames for the 5 seconds before it crashed

I built a new PC with a 3070 and in the past year my most played game by far is NV + viva New Vegas mods

I think there are now mods to let it run at >60fps without making GBS threads itself inside out, but I'm still in 60hz monitor land so I left the frame rate capped. The GPU fans don't even turn on until someone busts out a flame weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Got an impulse to play UT99 only to discover I've lost every copy and it's nla to buy digitally :sigh: