Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lmao ive been ignoring this thread for months because i thought it was for people named james and it just occured to me today it could be about gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

im really glad i was a gamer during the period when a new elder scrolls game came out like every 2 years instead of the period where todd released the same one 40 times in ten years

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

if you're gonna pay a markup you might as well get a prebuilt PC imo. at least then you're paying for something real and not the nonlabor of some scalper shithead

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

edit nevermind this is the games thread sorry

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

games like giraffe and giff

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

anyone got a good rec for a game i can play while listening to podcasts?

im way behind on a lot of poo poo i like because i don't have a commute anymore, but all of the games I play require a lot of reading so I can't keep up with the 'cast while i'm playing

previous games I've played that worked were Albion and Genshin Impact but I've put them both down permanently because i got annoyed with them after doing all the fun stuff

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

just started playing hades like six months after the hype died down and it is fun af. i think this might surpass transistor as my fave

also Megara can loving get. it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

yeah, the games are better than ever. drink more water and less alcohol and get serious about sleep hygiene and bootstrap yourself outta that poo poo

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

i liked that each town in oblivion had its own architectural style, i think skyrim went a bit backwards there where everything was either stone blocks or wooden huts

i forgot how much this owned. I think morrowind towns were distinct too weren't they? kinda want to revisit those games now

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

what even is that game? i want those imaginary fistbumps so bad

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

idk what there is to eat in Subnautica but if it's fibrous you could just get gut-mods that enable digestion of otherwise indigestible cellulose or whatever

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i loved turning people in to the police, showing up to town a few days later for the execution, shooting the rope so they can escape, then chasing and tackling them, and finally brutally stabbing them to death over and over again

img-veep-wtf.gif

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I really liked Witcher Wild Hunt when I played it and purposely saved the expansions for when I got a better computer, but I finally upgraded and I don't remember anything about this game at all. Video games need to start including a special cheat for people in their 30s where you can type it in and invoke the tutorial at any time and any place

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

games with 'seasons' seems like such an obvious cashgrab that i don't really understand how anyone falls for it but i guess console gamers are used to everything being really expensive for no reason so maybe it is an easier sell

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

what racing games do you guys like from this generation?

i got really into gta a-spec and the burnout games and i'm interested in a more modern take on doing fun car stuff.

i got project cars 3 the other day but it was not very fun. I think I kind of hate the "RACING SIMULATOR" genre because everything is super accurate and I want to do tryhard driving but then the AI is just a bunch of psycopaths who are constantly ramming my car all the time and it is so. unprofessional.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i still play and love burnout paradise - it was remastered for ps4 (and now switch). i doubt it'll get a ps5 upgrade or anything. i really lvoe the open world instead of tracks, too

it is a kickass game but i have been playing it over and over since it came out on PC and i just wanted something new. It is maybe my favorite car game of all time

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

is there a schedule posted anywhere for game pass games? i'm curious about it but i hate things "as a service" and i'm worried that the games i want to play are gonna be unavailable as soon as i start liking them

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

omg i finally got around to installing forza horizon 4 and it slaps so loving hard. this is exactly what I wanted

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

The Fool posted:

prey looks like an objectively good game, but I bounced off of it pretty early when I tried it

same, the reveal in the beginning was neat but I just didn't care that much about learning more

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i tried out ffxiv a couple weeks ago and there was a ton of face-moving to text and it was baffling. It looked so bad and I really dont understand why anyone would bother to implement it. Everything was one-on-one conversations so its not like it was hard to tell who was talking.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i never really played chrono trigger because i didn't have a console as a kid but chrono cross kicked rear end and ruined me for all other rpgs that didn't have a thousand charcters and sidestories for each character

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

psiox posted:

this is probably a super pedestrian take but imo Super Mario RPG is one of the best RPGs ever made

it is definitely more fun to play than most of them. idk why the rhythm mechanic never really took off because i loved it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

hades is good for short playthroughs but you gotta keep practicing pretty consistently

i put it down for a couple of weeks while i tried out ffxiv and when i came back to it i died to fuckin charon

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

for me the main thing I had to learn was to slow way down and be more cautious. It is easy to dodge almost everything except the beams if i just slow down and watch more than i act

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

today I had a sword run with a bunch of Poseidon knockback/wallbounce buffs and the little rooms leading up to Hades were like those scientific blenders that can homogenize a mouse in 200 milliseconds

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

what does the "decent" entry level steering wheel and pedals look like? I really like car games and I think it would be fun as hell to put my 4yo behind the wheel of a car too so i'm thinking about upgrading my gaming pc with some car peripherals

also even with an analog xbox controller stick turning feels too spasmodic and imprecise

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the thrustmaster t150 is the cheapest “real” sim wheel out there.

after that would be the Logitech g290/g920 wheels

then the thrustmaster t300rs.

that’s in order of price/features/quality. if it’s mainly for your kid, get the t150 or a used Driving Force GT.

if you’re going to get into racing, go for the Logitech’s or the T300RS

we also have a pc sim racing thread that’s pretty active: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763524

oh nice, thank you!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

my issue is i play one game to the exclusion of all others for months

i bought a really nice new PC a while back and all I play on it right now is Hades, which ran perfectly fine on my old computer

in the winter though i'm gonna play tf out of some hyperrealistic poo poo and heat my room up nicely though lol

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

i like fe3h a lot. it's so nice to have a wide cast of characters, none of whose existences revolve around the protagonist. also it's got that nice xcom thing where your characters' battle exploits build the player's emotional investment in said characters (and in-game said characters also deepen their relationship with people who they fight side-by-side with a lot).

that sounds exactly like my favorite thing about Chrono Cross and i wanna play this really badly now

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Fh5 is super fun but holy god am i bad at drifting

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Casual Encountess posted:

im annoyed that in 2021 every guide for a game is a video now

i can't help with the first thing but god drat do i relate to this sentiment; i miss huge text files with everything you need to know about a video game in one big easily searchable document

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

psiox posted:

looks cool and at a glance feels like 'ascendancy'- if that is a fair characterization then i need to pick it up

e: goddamnit there was an ios re-release of ascendancy that has since been pulled

Ascendancy was so loving cool! I still think about those complexity meters sometimes that were more and more complicated gems and plants to indicate how advanced the society was

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

how long should i play hollow knight before i decide it is not for me?

it seems pretty punishing so far or im really bad at it and it doesnt seem like there's a clear path to it getting more fun

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

today i clicked on the campaign button in the new halo only to find that the campaign isn't out yet and the campaign button just goes to a preorder button for the campaign

i can not believe how bad gaming has gotten. this piece of poo poo already has in app purchases. jfc.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

goddammit warhammer seems so cool but every game you just have to play as the stupid boring space americans, why is every game always space americans instead of something cool???

playing as the greenskins in total war warhammer kicked rear end but i could care less about these stupid humans protecting their stupid freedoms or whatever

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

whats the easiest way to roms in a handheld these days? i mostly care about original gameboy games and SNES but others would be cool too

edit: i mean the hardware, not :filez:

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 20, 2021

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

my four year old and i played snow runner today and i was amazed at how inexplicably fun it was. really a great game!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

I would so play snow runner with a wheel and pedal, seems like it'd be a fun experience instead of just using a controller

im about to bring my wheel upstairs for it. the controls are weirdly binary (e.g. turning slightly left and all the way left feel about the same) so i fishtail a lot, but hopefully that is different on a wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i tried turning down the controller sensitivity and it had no impact on the steering but it made analog stick movement in the menus insanely slow lol